Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011 | 08:28 AM
Sacred Disorder
3rd Gear
So got my AP second hand today. Loaded up stage 3 and................ Only hitting 15.9 PSI of boost and fells like its hitting a wall when it shifts. Its weird. It cuts boost drops the RPM's to 5k then Shifts then revs back to about 5.5K and then kicks the boost in. And it shifts HARD!!!! tried updating the AP and AP manager still a no go. anyone have any ideas?

2010 MCCSa Alta intake and hot side boost tube, SAMCO turbo inlet hose, Forge FMIC, ALTA DP to 3" straight pipe to 2.5" Magnaflows, Forge Diverter valve. I think thats it as far as engine mods.

Old 11-12-2011 | 03:55 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
A recap and question

I read the entire post, and understand the product pretty well. I have an 08 MCS auto, stock driveline (except for an oil catch can). This is what I know:

1. Maps are available for my car, I am totally in stage 1 territory.
2. Fuel economy tends to increase 1-2 mpg, once we 'learn' to keep our foot out of it. Special 'economy maps' are not available.
3. Alta continues to give good customer support.
4. Alternate TPS mapping is limited to the manual shift cars, auto cars use the regular mapping.

I have one question (I don't remember defininitive answers):

Does the AP reduce the throttle 'delay' that exists on this car? Some guys had coined the 'lag and lurch' phrase. Sometimes the car is difficult to drive smoothly when trying to drive efficiently.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 11-13-2011 | 09:12 AM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by mbwicz
Does the AP reduce the throttle 'delay' that exists on this car? Some guys had coined the 'lag and lurch' phrase. Sometimes the car is difficult to drive smoothly when trying to drive efficiently.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
It's still an auto so there is a very slight delay still, but it's a massive improvement over stock.

I had a few guys with autos revert back to stock for visits to the dealer and the loss of throttle response was there biggest complaint.

Old 11-15-2011 | 11:47 AM
jbourne
4th Gear
I have a strange message popping up from the AccessPort manager. I just upgraded to 2.0.1.6 and it tells me now that "Your AccessPort no longer contains the ECU data backup from your vehicle. If not restored, the AccessPort will restore a "stock" ROM when/if you uninstall it from your current vehicle. Restore ECU Data backup to AccessPort?"

First - what does this mean? I have never deleted anything from the AP, so where did my backup go?
Second - I think I have the .ROM file stored somewhere on my PC. Is that the backup?
Third - after I click "Yes", it says "Stock ECU data backup from your vehicle already exists on the AccessPort. Do you want to replace it?" --> if I view "All Files" on the AP, I do not see that file. If I go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\APManager\backup \, I _do_ have my Mini backup in there.

All of the above scares the bejesus out of me, so I'd appreciate some answers. 2.0.1.5 never asked me anything about any data backups, so is this a 2.0.1.6 bug?

[edit] the .ROM file *no longer* shows up on my AccessPort as of half an hour ago (although it used to, until I upgraded to 2.0.1.6 the same half an hour ago).

Last edited by jbourne; 11-15-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-15-2011 | 11:54 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Strange....

BTW Alta do you guys plan on coming up with any other more or less aggressive tunes?
Same with you mike@tech division do you guys plan on any can tuning options?

Old 11-15-2011 | 12:15 PM
teamrubixcube
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jbourne
I have a strange message popping up from the AccessPort manager. I just upgraded to 2.0.1.6 and it tells me now that "Your AccessPort no longer contains the ECU data backup from your vehicle. If not restored, the AccessPort will restore a "stock" ROM when/if you uninstall it from your current vehicle. Restore ECU Data backup to AccessPort?"

First - what does this mean? I have never deleted anything from the AP, so where did my backup go?
Second - I think I have the .ROM file stored somewhere on my PC. Is that the backup?
Third - after I click "Yes", it says "Stock ECU data backup from your vehicle already exists on the AccessPort. Do you want to replace it?" --> if I view "All Files" on the AP, I do not see that file. If I go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\APManager\backup \, I _do_ have my Mini backup in there.

All of the above scares the bejesus out of me, so I'd appreciate some answers. 2.0.1.5 never asked me anything about any data backups, so is this a 2.0.1.6 bug?

[edit] the .ROM file *no longer* shows up on my AccessPort as of half an hour ago (although it used to, until I upgraded to 2.0.1.6 the same half an hour ago).
It sounds to me that it would install "stage 0" onto your car if you were to uninstall it for sale or some other reason. It doesn't remember exact ECU data and stage 0 is very similar. I would vote for backing it up and replacing the file if you haven't done so already but maybe Mike can chime in as well.

Old 11-15-2011 | 12:33 PM
jbourne
4th Gear
Originally Posted by teamrubixcube
It sounds to me that it would install "stage 0" onto your car if you were to uninstall it for sale or some other reason. It doesn't remember exact ECU data and stage 0 is very similar. I would vote for backing it up and replacing the file if you haven't done so already but maybe Mike can chime in as well.
Hmm. So does that imply not uninstalling the AP fully? Not acceptable... anyway, let's see what Alta says

Old 11-15-2011 | 12:36 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Porthos
Strange....

BTW Alta do you guys plan on coming up with any other more or less aggressive tunes?
We are working on making some of the maps smoother. We're actually tweaking the stage 2 stage 3 though to make possibly more power.

Originally Posted by jbourne

jbourne, Are you doing a beta update? If so, we made a change to how the ECU is flashed, and the AP Manager may recognize your saved ECU data as being different. It's not a problem, you'll just need to reinstall the AccessPORT on your car and it'll fix it.

Old 11-15-2011 | 12:39 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by teamrubixcube
If you sell the car or AccessPORT, always uninstall the AP from the car. Leaving it in stage 0 leaves the AccessPORT installed on the car.

Old 11-15-2011 | 02:21 PM
jbourne
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
jbourne, Are you doing a beta update? If so, we made a change to how the ECU is flashed, and the AP Manager may recognize your saved ECU data as being different. It's not a problem, you'll just need to reinstall the AccessPORT on your car and it'll fix it.
Yes - beta update. Current situation: AP is installed on the car but (I think) it's missing from the AP itself, since I do not see the .ROM on the AccessPort.

What should I do, exactly? Should I answer "Yes" to replace the backup? Should I uninstall the AP on the car? Please give details

Old 11-15-2011 | 03:06 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Answer yes to replace it. If you updated the AP with beta, there's something that we are working on that flashes the ECU differently, and it doesn't recognize the backup, but it will be fine. If it's installed on the car, just uninstall it, then reinstall the appropriate map.

Old 11-15-2011 | 03:11 PM
jbourne
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
Answer yes to replace it. If you updated the AP with beta, there's something that we are working on that flashes the ECU differently, and it doesn't recognize the backup, but it will be fine. If it's installed on the car, just uninstall it, then reinstall the appropriate map.
Ok, I'll go ahead and do that. Wasn't sure if that meant my backup was lost and there was no way for me to uninstall the AP and return to true stock. Thanks!

Old 11-15-2011 | 04:55 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Any time frame on when that might possibly be? So I can pre order and wait! Instead playing the guessing game.

Old 11-15-2011 | 08:33 PM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Porthos
Strange....

Standard mapping options and updates to those maps will come from Alta. Any maps that are released from the Cobb retail facilities are considered "custom maps" are are not part of the normal AP update.

With that said we could taylor the maps any way a customer wants essentially, with in reason of course.

Old 11-20-2011 | 01:08 PM
Drobinson1692
4th Gear
Okay just so I can have a sound mind, when you are live data logging and go to "req. boost" that is the atmospheric pressure + boost right? Then subtract the atmos. from the max and you get max boost?

because mine read 33.0 and i about pooped myself.

Old 11-20-2011 | 01:17 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
That's absolute pressure. You have to remember that there will always be 1 atmosphere of pressure in the manifold so you have to subtract that from the absolute pressure to get your boost pressure.

Old 11-20-2011 | 10:51 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Drobinson1692
Okay just so I can have a sound mind, when you are live data logging and go to "req. boost" that is the atmospheric pressure + boost right? Then subtract the atmos. from the max and you get max boost?

Could be wrong, but Requested boost is essentially what is trying to be targeted by the ECU...if you are under high load, I could see how it would show u a rather high value like that. This does not mean that you are running 33psi.

On the AP, what you want to look at it is just "Boost" it will give you the reading in psi that you are looking for

Old 11-20-2011 | 11:45 PM
binitraveller
1st Gear
is AP available for the Countryman S ALL4? R60?

Old 11-21-2011 | 01:03 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Drobinson1692

The req boost is requested boost, measured in absolute pressure, that's why it's so high. You're good!

Originally Posted by binitraveller
is AP available for the Countryman S ALL4? R60?
I'm sorry, the AccessPORT is not compatible with the R60.

Old 11-23-2011 | 08:52 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
With my stock R55-S, sometimes I'm lucky and find a gas station with 94. When I can't, I revert to 91

How would the AP handle that?

Do I need to switch tunes everytime I switch octane?

Old 11-23-2011 | 09:02 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
If you're able to fill up with 94 octane, you can change to the 92+ map. Then when you go back to 91, you will have to go back to a 91 octane map.

Old 11-23-2011 | 09:05 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
That's not fun...

What if I leave it to the 92+ map all the time (about 1 out of 4 fill ups is 91), even with 91 octane gas?

Old 11-23-2011 | 09:18 AM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MyroMini
That's not fun...

What if I leave it to the 92+ map all the time (about 1 out of 4 fill ups is 91), even with 91 octane gas?
Your going to run the chance of your engine having some detonation. In theory you could run the 91 and be ok if you stay out of boost, but it's risky non the less. I don't recommend you do this TBH.

Your best and safest route right now would be to swap maps to match the fuel octane your using.

Old 11-23-2011 | 09:20 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Change the map for sure, it only takes about a minute, so it's not too much of a hassle.

Old 11-23-2011 | 10:23 AM
djdraddy
Banned
Are you guys saying that the AccessPort system disables the knock sensor/timing retard function in the computer?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread