Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain 3rd day on track with Alta's Access Port and tune... review

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:41 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Keyser_Soze
First, sorry for your off and hope you & your R56 are ok...

I don't know you from Adam, but after reading your review of the RMW tune vs the Alta tune, you do not provide a shred of data or evidence to support your claims... It 'feels' faster, the 'seat of the pants feel', 'about 20% more power', yada yada yada... You didn't even post any track times comparing the various tunes...

Not much to go on for those of us who prefer facts over anecdotal experiences... Nice try, but no cigar...
Facts (dyno curves) are in the other AP thread.

I believe Mark has said in here he was planning on putting the tune on a dyno after his track days... but then life (or near-death, as the case may be) happened.

I, for one, appreciate the "anecdotal experiences" along with the dyno curves.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:49 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Keyser_Soze
First, sorry for your off and hope you & your R56 are ok...

I don't know you from Adam, but after reading your review of the RMW tune vs the Alta tune, you do not provide a shred of data or evidence to support your claims... It 'feels' faster, the 'seat of the pants feel', 'about 20% more power', yada yada yada... You didn't even post any track times comparing the various tunes...

Not much to go on for those of us who prefer facts over anecdotal experiences... Nice try, but no cigar...
Apparently you didn't read the whole thread.... let me break this down so you can understand it.

There are only 3 things I'm interested in comparing the Alta tune to the RMW tune.

1) Driveability. Many of us have known issues with the RMW tune. Plain and simple. For me, one was the idleing of the car when it was first started in the morning. With my RMW tune, the car almost stalled every morning. Second, the car had a major "hiccup" at roughly 3200 rpms. I wanted to see if those problems were gone.

Driveability is much smoother, no wierd idle problems, no hiccups.

That was the first test.

2) The second test was how the Alta tune held up on the track. The RMW tune was perfect at the track. Never any CEL's, no wierd overheating problems, nothing... the RMW tune was great.

All this test was to see how it held up at the track. The Alta tune failed miserably with the first 3-4 tunes. I got CEL's, I had the car go into limp mode, etc, etc... That is what I was looking for... dependability at the track.

By the end of the second day, Alta had provided me with 3 more tunes. The last one did cure my CEL's, and limp home modes. I would have liked to do another track day with that tune but I only got 2 sessions with it.

I did mention my track time but that is completely irrelevant... unless I was running the same exact tires, etc, etc, (which I wasn't) looking at track times would be useless.

My "test" was simply to see durability... I wanted to be able to squeeze the ECM and not have issues.

Last but not least, as far as proving numbers, the only other test I can do is putting the car on the dyno back to back with differnt tunes.

Because of the incident Saturday, I am unable to do that for now.

As far as hard numbers, I don't need a dyno to tell that the Alta tune is producing more HP/TQ, it's that obvious. However, I prefer to see graphs and see the area under the graphs to be able to compare.

I can't explain what I was doing any more simplier than I have. If you want hard numbers right now, then get off your ***, buy the tune and run to the dyno, then you can post your opinion on it.

If not, then shut up or put up...
Mark

Old 08-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 08-30-2010, 02:33 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
If not, then shut up or put up...
Mark

Bravo!

note: the troll cannot order the accessport and get huge amounts of torque. he has an r53.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:02 PM
old81
M6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark, well said, your thread, your data, we all like it and respect your opinion.

Don

Old 08-30-2010, 03:25 PM
ViperGTS
4th Gear
Love the updates. Sorry about your car and your body.

Keep up the great work and get it fixed and back on the track, Mark!

Old 08-30-2010, 03:46 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ViperGTS
Love the updates. Sorry about your car and your body.

Keep up the great work and get it fixed and back on the track, Mark!

Well, that may not be happening... I wrote up an estimate before I left work today and I'm not even done.

The problem is I'm at just over 20K.

Once we got it apart, I found waaaay more stuff than I thought was damaged.

This presents a problem.

Mark

Old 08-30-2010, 04:22 PM
ViperGTS
4th Gear
Ooooh.....

Is insurance going to cover it?

If insurance will let you, buy your car back from them (for literally nothing) and you can sell everything off of it. Of course, I'd imagine you will take anything salvageable off of it before insurance gets their hands on it anyway.

Just an idea. Most of the time, they will let you buy it back from them so they don't have to try to sell it at auction. Sounds like you're pretty knowledgeable about body work, so you might already know that...

If not, I'll be looking for it on Copart.
Sorry again to hear about it. Darn. They will definitely total it out for that price.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:43 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, that may not be happening... I wrote up an estimate before I left work today and I'm not even done.

The problem is I'm at just over 20K.

Once we got it apart, I found waaaay more stuff than I thought was damaged.

This presents a problem.

Mark
Is the engine and its vital components damaged?

Old 08-30-2010, 05:14 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by slinger688
Is the engine and its vital components damaged?
Not at all...

The car is VERY fixable. It's basically sheetmetal plus condensor, radiator, headlights, etc, etc.

The frame rail has a "ding" in the top of it. I mean DING, if I didn't point it out, you wouldn't see it.

The right front suspension needs replaced.

I may just keep it and turn it into a full track car.... we'll see.

Mark

Old 08-30-2010, 05:18 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Not at all...

The car is VERY fixable. It's basically sheetmetal plus condensor, radiator, headlights, etc, etc.

The frame rail has a "ding" in the top of it. I mean DING, if I didn't point it out, you wouldn't see it.

Mark
So little damage for a 120 mph crash?
Now I really am interested in pictures of the car.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:22 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fishbert

Well, let's put it this way...

I've been in the bodyshop business for almost 30 years. I did a quick estimate in my head and my estimate tonight was way more. I'm usually not off by 500-1000 but I will admit, I really missed the mark tonight. (though my estimate is perhaps "healthy")

Having said that, I have seen thousands and thousands of wrecked cars over the years and if someone told me that my mini was in a 120+ crash, I would have said BullsHlT... NO FREAKIN' WAY.

There is very little structural damage. It's mostly sheetmetal.

I will post pics soon.

Mark

Old 08-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Slartibartfast
2nd Gear
Mark,

I am just getting back from a long weekend get away. First off, glad to hear you are OK! And sorry to hear about your misfortune. I was really looking forward to stopping by your shop for a spin with the new tune, but it doesn't look like that will be possible for a while. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.
We here at NAM really appreciate your candid review of the tune and how it held up at the track. I have read many threads and posts regarding the RMW tune and I think your assessment is dead on. Jan is a super talented fellow, but unfortunately he is spread so thin that customer service does seem to tend to suffer. I believe in time he will address the few remaining issues with the tune and add the pop and burble back in...all of which will make for an interesting competition. As it stands today, if I had a MINI and the cash I would go Alta.
Be well.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:51 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Thanks bud, much appreciated.

Like I said before, I have nothing but respect for Jan. There are a few things I don't like about the tune that frustrate me. When Alta came along and apparently have found a fix for those, I reported what I found. I having nothing against RMW and I'm not a fanboy for Alta.... I report it as I see it.

Yes, Alta had a few issues on the track with the tune they sent me. No more or different than when Jan has sent me different tunes. Each company wants their customers to be satisfied and like Alta, Jan will send another tune if he thinks it will fix your problem. Well, Alta did the same. They took my feedback and made the adjustments as necc.

What can I say? They worked hard to make it work and it did... nothing more, nothing less.

It just so happens that Alta has addressed some issues that other people are having so of course, anyone that is trying their tune and is happy with it will say so... doesn't mean RMW stinks, merely means we found something else. I still have my genius and if Jan comes up with a tune that makes more power and doesn't have some of my other concerns, I would use that.

The problem is, when someone gives an opinion, there's always at least one person that wants to argue the fact... I'm not trying to sway anyone in any direction. I am willing to be a test mule and I can afford to try it.

There are probably a lot of people that are depending one an unbiased opinion not because they're some sort of orangecrush followers but they know I want the best for my car just like they do.

Anyway, I'm done defending my comments. Everyone can take it for what they see in it.... if they don't like it, I don't give a shiet.

Mark

Originally Posted by Slartibartfast
Mark,

I am just getting back from a long weekend get away. First off, glad to hear you are OK! And sorry to hear about your misfortune. I was really looking forward to stopping by your shop for a spin with the new tune, but it doesn't look like that will be possible for a while. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.
We here at NAM really appreciate your candid review of the tune and how it held up at the track. I have read many threads and posts regarding the RMW tune and I think your assessment is dead on. Jan is a super talented fellow, but unfortunately he is spread so thin that customer service does seem to tend to suffer. I believe in time he will address the few remaining issues with the tune and add the pop and burble back in...all of which will make for an interesting competition. As it stands today, if I had a MINI and the cash I would go Alta.
Be well.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for your opinion Mark and very sorry to hear about your MINI :'(.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:53 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well said Mark! I know I really appreciate hearing your thoughts on both tunes and have taken the steps to try them both too. Should know more later this week on the Alta tune. I can actually compare the JCW Stage 1, RMW and soon the Alta tune.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:37 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
I'm glad came through the crash OK. It says a lot about how well bit the MINIs are built. Who'd think that they would stand up so well against something like this and to have you walk away from it.
Thanks bud, much appreciated.

Like I said before, I have nothing but respect for Jan. There are a few things I don't like about the tune that frustrate me. When Alta came along and apparently have found a fix for those, I reported what I found. I having nothing against RMW and I'm not a fanboy for Alta.... I report it as I see it.

Yes, Alta had a few issues on the track with the tune they sent me. No more or different than when Jan has sent me different tunes. Each company wants their customers to be satisfied and like Alta, Jan will send another tune if he thinks it will fix your problem. Well, Alta did the same. They took my feedback and made the adjustments as necc.

What can I say? They worked hard to make it work and it did... nothing more, nothing less.

It just so happens that Alta has addressed some issues that other people are having so of course, anyone that is trying their tune and is happy with it will say so... doesn't mean RMW stinks, merely means we found something else. I still have my genius and if Jan comes up with a tune that makes more power and doesn't have some of my other concerns, I would use that.

The problem is, when someone gives an opinion, there's always at least one person that wants to argue the fact... I'm not trying to sway anyone in any direction. I am willing to be a test mule and I can afford to try it.

There are probably a lot of people that are depending one an unbiased opinion not because they're some sort of orangecrush followers but they know I want the best for my car just like they do.

Anyway, I'm done defending my comments. Everyone can take it for what they see in it.... if they don't like it, I don't give a shiet.

Mark
I hear ya. I love how all of the nae sayers about the ALTA tune are people without it. I currently prefer my ALTA tune over my RMW tune because of the added power, drivability and features of the ALTA tune and tool. Heck, I can't even get an updated tune from Jan. He announced that he had unlocked the 1st and 2nd gear boost limiters and to email him for an updated tune. After 9 days and multiple emails to him he finally responds and tells me it isn't feasible for him to update 150+ tunes until he has the tune finalized and I'll need to be patient and wait. I wasn't asking him to update 150+ tunes, I was just asking him to updated mine.

Oh well. I guess that's what happens when you post favorable comments about a competitive product. Anyway, I'm glad you are OK and that you have the means to repair your MINI! Good Luck

Old 08-30-2010, 09:39 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Not at all...

Mark
Originally Posted by fishbert

That's crazy that you have no motor damage...

I totalled my R53 by rear ending someone. The motor took ALL of the force, pretty sure the block cracked if I remember correctly.

By looking at the car it was not that bad:

...evem the xenons still worked!

That was only at about 40 mph...so when you say 120, im baffled by how its not completely destroyed.

God I miss that car...although slower, in so many ways it was so much more fun than the R56......

Last edited by ThumperMCS; 08-30-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:14 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
i hear yah thumper i had a 04mcs and it started it all. i miss the steering the most and the whine. OC ! fix yer junk and keep motoring

Old 09-01-2010, 03:44 AM
nickminir56
3rd Gear
Glad you're ok. Still this is a great escape for a 120-125mph hit

Old 09-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Jrpsaros
1st Gear
Hey Mark, I have an 08 Cooper S, I'm coming into Charlotte tonight, If you want to throw your tune on my car so that it can be kept warm for you until you get the car rebuilt, I guess I can do you that favor!!!

Old 09-02-2010, 12:40 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jrpsaros
Hey Mark, I have an 08 Cooper S, I'm coming into Charlotte tonight, If you want to throw your tune on my car so that it can be kept warm for you until you get the car rebuilt, I guess I can do you that favor!!!

Why not, it's just sitting here right now...

Mark

Old 09-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Jrpsaros
1st Gear
lol, if only I had a JCW and not just an S

Old 09-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
OC - This has been a great and informative thread.

First and most importantly, glad to hear you are OK.

Second - I am amazed to hear that the Min is repairable let alone succeed in protecting you in a 120+ mph crash. This has to speak volumes as to the quality of the BMW engineering of the car. Being new to the track-thing, this is reassuring to both me and my wife. No, this doesn’t mean I will have any less respect for what I am doing.

Third - it is informative, at least to me, to hear about the differences in the tunes that come from what I gather are 2 very respected tuners. The seat-of-the-pants perspective has a lot to do with making a choice. Numbers alone can't tell you that something may just "feel better" to you. To my way of thinking you better like the way "it" (whatever "it" is) feels when you are on the track, otherwise that will be just one more distraction that you have to deal with and you don't need that. BTY, I just finished reading about Jan’s efforts to improve his tune. It seems that his may be coming together. Got to love the choices.

Fourth – I love your cander.

Fifth – dibs on the seats.

Sixth – “I've spent all night looking for Porsche 944's. With an LS2 engine swap, I think that will make for a good track car” Might I remind you of another statement of yours "Bottom line, at the right track, it's hard to beat a mini"

and back to First – glad to hear you are OK.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:58 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Eddie,

First, thanks for the post... very nice.

Second, check out this thread. You'll see pics of how well the car really did.

Third, I appreciate the comment about the candor. I never wanted this to be a X against Y tuner competition. Each tune is different, each tuner has something to offer. I merely was listing what I thought the differences were and how they affected me. It was never meant to belittle or condone one tune or another.

Last but not least, I'm thinking of putting the car back together and just driving it. I don't do more than 12-15 track days a year so it might be more beneficial to me just to drive it and use it the few times a year I go.

We'll see... just the temptation of buying a 2011 black mini reaaaally sounds good.

Mark
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
OC - This has been a great and informative thread.

First and most importantly, glad to hear you are OK.

Second - I am amazed to hear that the Min is repairable let alone succeed in protecting you in a 120+ mph crash. This has to speak volumes as to the quality of the BMW engineering of the car. Being new to the track-thing, this is reassuring to both me and my wife. No, this doesn’t mean I will have any less respect for what I am doing.

Third - it is informative, at least to me, to hear about the differences in the tunes that come from what I gather are 2 very respected tuners. The seat-of-the-pants perspective has a lot to do with making a choice. Numbers alone can't tell you that something may just "feel better" to you. To my way of thinking you better like the way "it" (whatever "it" is) feels when you are on the track, otherwise that will be just one more distraction that you have to deal with and you don't need that. BTY, I just finished reading about Jan’s efforts to improve his tune. It seems that his may be coming together. Got to love the choices.

Fourth – I love your cander.

Fifth – dibs on the seats.

Sixth – “I've spent all night looking for Porsche 944's. With an LS2 engine swap, I think that will make for a good track car” Might I remind you of another statement of yours "Bottom line, at the right track, it's hard to beat a mini"

and back to First – glad to hear you are OK.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain 3rd day on track with Alta's Access Port and tune... review