Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Heat Shield Testing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010 | 05:32 PM
blitzed310
|
2nd Gear
Heat Shield Testing?

Has anyone done any testing prior and post heat shield install on any of the various heat shields? I read a bunch of post where people say they will but have not seen this confirmed.

My scoop is slightly distorted and I've talked to the dealer and they will replace it (07MCS), so in an effort to not have this happen again, I'm curious to see if these heat shields actually shield the heat appropriately, or if they are just another item to add to your mod list and look pretty. I do not want to spend $200 on something like this.

I have an IR gun and if I go out and purchase the shield and find out it doesn't do much I am not going to be happy about this. (I read a thread where they asked M7 if they could test it for them and if it didn't lower the heat they could return it for a refund, this was rejected by M7)

FYI I'm looking into the NM or the M7 sheild, with my sights more focused on the M7 as it comes with the blanket.

Old 09-01-2010 | 05:53 PM
Emann
2nd Gear
I put the M7 heatshield on after a recommendation from a friend with respect to the hood scoop melting. I was also debating between the NM and M7, but when with the M7 because of the blanket, and I like the fact that it has a black finish that looks stock.

Before the heatshield, if I went to open up the hood of the car it would be pretty hot to the touch, even on the top of the hood on the outside. It was beyond hot underneath.

I touched the top of my hood the other day after some spirited driving in about 85 degree weather and it was completely cool to the touch.

I don't have any data to back it up, but take that for what it's worth. Hope it helps. Worse comes to worse, you have an expensive piece of useless bling.

Old 09-02-2010 | 12:03 PM
blitzed310
|
2nd Gear
Thanks for the input. I found a post where someone confirms the temps went down over 100 degrees!

http://www.clubscmm.com/board/index.php?topic=6403.0

Old 09-02-2010 | 08:49 PM
WayMotorWorks
Former Vendor
We've seen the heat shields keep the scoops from melting. I sell many of both the M7 and NM heatshields, But in reality more of the NM they are cheaper.

Old 09-02-2010 | 08:59 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
We've seen the heat shields keep the scoops from melting. I sell many of both the M7 and NM heatshields, But in reality more of the NM they are cheaper.

Since putting on Alta AP tune my turbo seems to be getting a bit warmer - as in my scoop which had never melted before is starting to deform pretty well.

I clicked on the NM linkage as I've seen it and it does look great. I tripped when I saw $149! Then I saw it was made out of titanium and understood the cost a bit better (although still a little rich for me)

Aluminum may not be a cool as titanium but I think it would be a whole lot cheaper.

Curious, why does it ask me if I want to add a torque arm bushing to my heatshield order? lol.

Old 09-03-2010 | 12:01 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Kind of with MM. Make one out of a sheet of aluminum I have, some stainless I have. ( no, way darn too hard to cut and drill!) or pay the bucks and get the bragging rights before my hood melts. Guess I'll order the NM this weekend. I am getting lazy in my old age.

On cost. Sure it sounds high. Maybe the material is a couple of bucks more. What you are paying for is for them have them cut and bent. If they made a hundred thousand, they would cost $6 (Or $388 from Mini). But they are low rate production. It just plain costs that much. Fab shop probably needs 35% to stay in business. NM needs a cut, small retailers like Way need a pretty hefty % to keep their doors open. So a manufactured cost of $35 low rate can be very fair at your door for $150. So, pay the man or DIY.