Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain WMW Performance Blow off Valve -- opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 09:33 AM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by konijay
Who else has 2009 or above?

When I compared it to mine, vents and springs are SAME.
pics? i posted the pics of mine up above... who knows they may have upgraded themselves for the refresh or newer model years...

i have my valve combined with NM's Cold Side Pipe and it really makes a difference in boost response between shifts. and considering my other mods it really makes a difference in spool characteristics... i have charts from a datalog if you need to see the before and after for more solid proof of working

Old 10-09-2010, 01:15 PM
konijay
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took pictures before I installed WMW one...they look the same and dunphyj's old one's vents are different...

WAY told me to bring the stock one in so he can check it out but I think he's closed on weekends?...I don't have time weekdays..

I did drive about 40 miles on Friday and there IS LESS turbo lag it seems...

I still want to know what the differences are...maybe electronically different? I don't think a firmer spring(if it is) alone will make less turbo lag...

Attached Thumbnails WMW Performance Blow off Valve -- opinions?-side.jpg   WMW Performance Blow off Valve -- opinions?-top.jpg  
Old 10-09-2010, 01:19 PM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
The heads/faces of those look different to me visually from the picture. Are you saying that they are the same. They don't appear to be.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:36 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 767 Likes on 625 Posts
Obviously looking at the pics you can see that the 09 one is different from the earlier 07-08 ones. And ours is yet still different from that.

When you drive it and feel the difference isn't that whats important.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 10-11-2010, 05:21 AM
konijay
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ///Mflossin
The heads/faces of those look different to me visually from the picture. Are you saying that they are the same. They don't appear to be.
They are and that is why i posted pictures

Old 10-11-2010, 05:49 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by konijay
They are and that is why i posted pictures
Sorry....I interpreted your post as saying the old valve and new valve that you got from Way were the same. I also thought that you were trying to show that they were the same by the pictures...which, in fact, showed that they are/were different. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:53 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Headlands
Me, too. I just ordered one from WMW, so it'll be nice to find out before installing.
Headlands....how did you make out?

Old 10-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Headlands
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Headlands....how did you make out?
I finally got around to it just now and I can't figure out how to install it. I moved the coolant take over but I see no allen screws anywhere.

Can someone tell me precisely where the diverter valve is? Either a diagram or a direct description of what it's next to would be great. Thanks!

Old 10-14-2010, 12:04 PM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
I finally got around to it just now and I can't figure out how to install it. I moved the coolant take over but I see no allen screws anywhere.

Can someone tell me precisely where the diverter valve is? Either a diagram or a direct description of what it's next to would be great. Thanks!
You can't miss it. Remove the lower section of intake hose on turbo housing for clear view of the front 2 allen head screws. The third one you'll be flying blind on but it's not hard to feel out.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:09 PM
Headlands
4th Gear
You can't miss it. Remove the lower section of intake hose on turbo housing for clear view of the front 2 allen head screws. The third one you'll be flying blind on but it's not hard to feel out.
I'm a beginner with this stuff -- where exactly is the intake hose on the turbo housing? I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing, and like I said, I'm new to this kind of thing. Thanks!

Old 10-14-2010, 12:14 PM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
I'm a beginner with this stuff -- where exactly is the intake hose on the turbo housing? I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing, and like I said, I'm new to this kind of thing. Thanks!
Unfortunately I am in my office right now and don't have access to my camera. On the turbo, there is a discharge hose and the hose that runs to your airbox located at the back of the motor. You need to undo the clamp for the intake hose which sits further inboard than the discharge hose. With this unclamped and propped up on the flange, you can not only see more/better...you'll have more room. The diverter valve is right there...you can' miss it. It's literally directly below the flange that holds that intake hose on. You will see 2 of the three bolts here and you can feel out the third. Look at the new valve that you have in your hand from Way and you'll see what I mean. Take pictures of the heads/faces of the valves if you can. HTH...

Old 10-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Headlands
4th Gear
OK, I went ahead (great thanks to Mflossin's help) and replaced the stock valve with the WMV valve.

Very subtle difference when shifting. Shifts feel a bit quicker and more precise somehow -- I tried my best not to succumb to the placebo effect, although it might very well be that. It's hard when you can't compare the two back to back during driving, but to me it does feel like a very subtle yet appreciable difference.

The two diverter valves look exactly like they do in konijay's pics. There are subtle differences, indeed, but with a casual glance they look the same.

It's hard to give a definitive answer, actually, as to the difference...but it does feel like it's an understated improvement.

The weird thing is that Way's valve actually felt LESS stiff that the OEM one when you press it with your finger, though it sticks up further.

Last edited by Headlands; 10-14-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:00 PM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Headlands,
Awesome! Glad that you were able to get the job done! Thank you for the feedback and review. Now I just have to call Way and get a valve ordered. Feeling it between shifts is where I would think one would benefit. Great news!

Old 10-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Headlands
4th Gear
Headlands,
Awesome! Glad that you were able to get the job done! Thank you for the feedback and review. Now I just have to call Way and get a valve ordered. Feeling it between shifts is where I would think one would benefit. Great news!
Like I said, it's definitely very subtle. But I honestly believe that there is a difference. It makes me wonder why MINI didn't put something like this in in the first place? Actually never mind -- don't get me started down THAT road!

Old 10-15-2010, 07:04 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Like I said, it's definitely very subtle. But I honestly believe that there is a difference. It makes me wonder why MINI didn't put something like this in in the first place? Actually never mind -- don't get me started down THAT road!

Really?

$$$$$$ is the reason

Old 10-21-2010, 06:47 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a little writeup I did. I've found for my Clubman S, that the difference is so noticeable that the difference between acceleration in Sport mode versus non Sport mode is much more subtle. It used to be a MUST everytime I got in the Clubbie to turn on Sport mode...not so anymore.

I feel like I'm saving gas too because in non sport mode, the RPM's are lower although under hard acceleration, it waits longer to shift. So here you go....

Note you may not have to remove the coolant tank and intake tubing, but I did for ease of access, and it only takes a few seconds.

You can find the product at this link for Way Motor Works Diverter Valve for my 2010 Clubman S.

Installing it wasn't difficult but because so little info was available, I thought documenting the process would help others determine if they want to do the install themselves or hire a mechanic. Here is the WMW valve next to the OEM valve. My OEM valve only has 6,000 miles on it and you can see that it doesn't extend out as far as the WMW version. Otherwise they
look identical.

With the diverter valve removed, you can see where and how it mounts. In case you aren't sure, it's the 3 holes in a triangular pattern in the center of the picture.

But the first challenge is to gain access to this area because it normally looks like this.

So with a 10mm socket, I removed the coolant reservoir.

And removed the intake hoses by loosening this hose clamp

Remove the wiring harness by squeezing the clip

Access is much better now, but still not perfect

Using a T30 bit, I managed to remove the first bolt, but I kept wondering how I would remove the other two?

I decided to remove the coolant tank altogether because it kept getting in the way.

A quick trip to the local auto parts store, and I bought another T30 since I dropped the last one in the engine bay. I reconnected the hoses, added more coolant, and I was done!

After driving for a few miles, I immediately noticed the improvement, so much that non Sport mode was much improved! I love this mod!

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 10-24-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:32 PM
tvanhouten
2nd Gear
Thanks OctaneGuy for taking time to create the detailed directions with pictures. I laughed when you noted dropping the torx bit in the engine bay - I've done that so many times myself on other projects!

I am hoping this valve fits on the 2011 MCS. I spoke with Way at WMW and he's not sold one of these to anyone for a 2011 model. I'll give it a shot, but it will be a few weeks.
I am still waiting to get the car!

Old 10-21-2010, 07:56 PM
OctaneGuy
Sorry for the strange formatting. Not sure what's going on, but my FireFox is only showing posts in HTML. Making a big mess of the posts now. Strange. Haha yeah, I have a second car so I made sure to make it accessible during my install! You're worried about your 2011, I was worried about my 2010 too! I was also worried that maybe MINI had made some improvements making this mod unnecessary, but I worried for nothing...it still needed improvement, lol. I feel the improvement every day! Richard
Originally Posted by tvanhouten
Thanks OctaneGuy for taking time to create the detailed directions with pictures. I laughed when you noted dropping the torx bit in the engine bay - I've done that so many times myself on other projects!

I am hoping this valve fits on the 2011 MCS. I spoke with Way at WMW and he's not sold one of these to anyone for a 2011 model. I'll give it a shot, but it will be a few weeks.
I am still waiting to get the car!

Old 10-21-2010, 10:08 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
your picture 6th from the to amuses me... what is that on top of the oil feed line?!?!?!?!?! some kinda protective plate?!?! i've NEVER seen that before on ANY MINI!

Old 10-21-2010, 10:34 PM
OctaneGuy
Way told me it was a quick fix by MINI for 2010's and on...I don't recall what it was fixing though, lol. He looked at it and smiled, mumbled some words and I had no idea.
Originally Posted by dunphyj
your picture 6th from the to amuses me... what is that on top of the oil feed line?!?!?!?!?! some kinda protective plate?!?! i've NEVER seen that before on ANY MINI!

Old 10-24-2010, 11:21 AM
futuremini
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Going out for a test drive now....

Last edited by futuremini; 10-24-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:18 PM
OctaneGuy
The mod has for me enabled me to enjoy driving in a more fuel saving way. Considering that gas is $3.43/gal for 91 here in SoCal, each fill up is around $43, and I don't enjoy doing that twice a week. Since the mod, I've been able to eek out another 100 to 140 miles out of my tank between fillups. Definitely the best money spent so far!

Old 10-24-2010, 05:35 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
This mod is surprising...it definitely improves the way my car runs. Now to see if I can duplicate OctaneGuy with more miles from a tank of gas.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:59 PM
OctaneGuy
Keep it out of Sport mode and see how the car behaves. It might be surprising. I'm on track to get 475 miles from my tank, lol since I haven't stomped on it on this latest tank and have been resisting the urge...just want to see what I can get.
Originally Posted by futuremini
This mod is surprising...it definitely improves the way my car runs. Now to see if I can duplicate OctaneGuy with more miles from a tank of gas.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:02 AM
futuremini
6th Gear
Will do.....even though it is hard NOT to put your foot in it or into sport mode.

Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Keep it out of Sport mode and see how the car behaves. It might be surprising. I'm on track to get 475 miles from my tank, lol since I haven't stomped on it on this latest tank and have been resisting the urge...just want to see what I can get.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain WMW Performance Blow off Valve -- opinions?