Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain WMW Performance Blow off Valve -- opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Bennyboy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I understand this correctly, this Way piece helps decrease lag between shifts, but with Sport mode on it is still an upgrade from the way piece with the sport button off?

If this is the case then driving with Sport on all the time is ALWAYS an upgrade from having this piece?

The reason for my questions is because I currently have the Forge adapter but not yet installed because I found Way's unit. But if its just a matter of hitting the sport button then I wont bother getting WMW piece and just installing the Forge that I already have.

Thanks

Old 11-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bennyboy
If I understand this correctly, this Way piece helps decrease lag between shifts, but with Sport mode on it is still an upgrade from the way piece with the sport button off?

If this is the case then driving with Sport on all the time is ALWAYS an upgrade from having this piece?

The reason for my questions is because I currently have the Forge adapter but not yet installed because I found Way's unit. But if its just a matter of hitting the sport button then I wont bother getting WMW piece and just installing the Forge that I already have.

Thanks
The only thing the sport button does is change the sensitivity of the pedal. So if depressing the pedal a 1/4" with the sport button off might give you 5% throttle, a 1/4" with the sport button on might give you 10%.

The way blow off will be in no way affected by the sport button.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:34 PM
MaverickGun
3rd Gear

Thanks
The Forge and WMW valves are kind of two different things entirely. The Forge is an atmospheric blow off valve while the WMW recirculates the air back into the turbo. Because the Forge is atmospheric, you're also going to get an increase in noise when it blows off. What the WMW recirculating blow off valve has going for it is a stiffer spring (and I think some larger holes somewhere) that allows everything to simply run more efficiently. The general consensus seems to be that the difference is pretty subtle. Rather then "gaining" power, people have instead found the power that was previously getting away. I think what you're reacting to is OctaneGuy's post saying he doesn't even need the sport mode on all the time anymore. He wasn't saying that he didn't feel an improvement in sport mode, but rather that for him normal mode was much more tolerable because of the more efficient valve. You should still feel an improvement in sport mode with the valve over sport mode without. If anyone has anything to add (or correct) let me know.

Since you already have the Forge bov, you may as well install that and see how you like it. Better yet, get WMW one as well. Then you can compare the two and report your findings . As far as atmospheric v. recirculating bovs and which are better... that's another can of worms that I'm not going to bother opening .

Old 11-09-2010, 07:16 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since I don't have any perceived lag between shifts (Auto), I can't really enjoy this benefit.
Yep! With the WMW valve, I could feel an improvement in both Sport and Non Sport mode. I am recommending this mod to all my R56 friends. I'm not sure if it's just me, but I don't notice the tightening of the steering wheel on my 2010 Clubman S in Sport Mode like I did with the R56..so Sport Mode really just impacts the throttle control and that's why I was so pleased to find that I could actually enjoy non Sport Mode.

Originally Posted by MaverickGun
I think what you're reacting to is OctaneGuy's post saying he doesn't even need the sport mode on all the time anymore. He wasn't saying that he didn't feel an improvement in sport mode, but rather that for him normal mode was much more tolerable because of the more efficient valve. You should still feel an improvement in sport mode with the valve over sport mode without. If anyone has anything to add (or correct) let me know.

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 11-16-2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Originally Posted by onefish2
Headlands,

You should pay a visit to the service manager at your local dealership and ask what is their stance on engine mods. If they are cool with the mods than you have no issue. Take a look at my signature. See all that stuff in there? I have NEVER had an issue bringing my car in for service. They have never refused me service. Now granted I have not brought my car in for any engine, transmission or clutch related issues. But they know that stuff is there and they have not given me a hard time about it.

For the most part people that are into MINIs mod the car in some way. Maybe not as drastically as many of us on here but this is a common practice with our cars.
Even though your MINI's a JCW and mine's an 08 MCS, our mods look nearly the same. Especially the RMW tune. I've got a couple questions about the WMW BOV.
Does it effect the tune in any way? If so, I ain't getting near it.
In WMW's info there's a claim that it will dump/recycle excess boost faster than OEM. This caught my eye. Right now if I come off the gas to slow down in 1st and 2nd gear it don't for 2-3 seconds. It's not Jan's tune as it's done this since before the tune. If I up-shift in those gears it dumps right now! It only happens when I want engine braking in those gears. Will the WMW valve cure this? Thanks for any help.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:07 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
Hey Dwight! I added this valve too and it did not affect the RMW tune. If anything, I feel it helped the tune. Well worth the money.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Originally Posted by futuremini
Hey Dwight! I added this valve too and it did not affect the RMW tune. If anything, I feel it helped the tune. Well worth the money.
Thanks a ton Futuremini, your info just cost me $64, LoL. I'm dying to see if it will correct that engine braking problem I've got in 1st and 2nd gear. Will let you know.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:20 PM
MiniManiac74
5th Gear
It will be the best $64 bucks you spend on your MINI

Old 11-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Thanks guys! "The check is in the mail". LMAO

Hey MiniManiac74, I went by your place last Fri. when going over Wolf Creek Pass on the way home from a little 4300mi. run. That's some kinda highway you've got there. BTW, nobody passed me!

Old 11-11-2010, 09:02 PM
MiniManiac74
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Dwight Walhood
Thanks guys! "The check is in the mail". LMAO

Hey MiniManiac74, I went by your place last Fri. when going over Wolf Creek Pass on the way home from a little 4300mi. run. That's some kinda highway you've got there. BTW, nobody passed me!
Sweet!

Old 11-12-2010, 04:40 AM
futuremini
6th Gear

Thanks a ton Futuremini, your info just cost me $64, LoL. I'm dying to see if it will correct that engine braking problem I've got in 1st and 2nd gear. Will let you know.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Got the WMW diverter valve today and put it on. It's doing exactly what I was hoping for. There is no longer any delay when I back off in 1st/2nd gear. The car slows down RIGHT NOW! Install however was a real bear. For one thing those bolts are NOT T-30 Torx! They are 5mm Allen heads. Whoever installed them at the factory appears to have dunked them Loctite twice. It's amazing they weren't completely ceased up. Out of shear desperation, I stumbled on a way to make the bolts stay on the bit while fishing blind for the hole to start them in. Took a piece of Scotch Magic Tape, wrapped it over the bit head and jammed it into the bolt head hole. Got the bolt started, pulled the tape off and seated the bolt. It works for both Allen head and Torx bolts and it may work on hex heads, too. $64 well spent? You bet!!

Old 11-16-2010, 04:47 AM
futuremini
6th Gear
Told ya so.......great mod for the price.
Got the WMW diverter valve today and put it on. It's doing exactly what I was hoping for. There is no longer any delay when I back off in 1st/2nd gear. The car slows down RIGHT NOW! Install however was a real bear. For one thing those bolts are NOT T-30 Torx! They are 5mm Allen heads. Whoever installed them at the factory appears to have dunked them Loctite twice. It's amazing they weren't completely ceased up. Out of shear desperation, I stumbled on a way to make the bolts stay on the bit while fishing blind for the hole to start them in. Took a piece of Scotch Magic Tape, wrapped it over the bit head and jammed it into the bolt head hole. Got the bolt started, pulled the tape off and seated the bolt. It works for both Allen head and Torx bolts and it may work on hex heads, too. $64 well spent? You bet!!

Old 11-16-2010, 05:24 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Way told me it was a quick fix by MINI for 2010's and on...I don't recall what it was fixing though, lol. He looked at it and smiled, mumbled some words and I had no idea.
Originally Posted by dunphyj
your picture 6th from the to amuses me... what is that on top of the oil feed line?!?!?!?!?! some kinda protective plate?!?! i've NEVER seen that before on ANY MINI!
I was told it was added on the 2010 MY as my '09 doesn't have it. It is supposed to keep heat from rolling out from under the turbo heat shield right in to the turbo's oil line and cooking the oil as the car sits there and cools off.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:50 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Since I don't have any perceived lag between ***** (Auto), I can't really enjoy this benefit.

But on a serious note, will this mod work on an 09 JCW?

Old 11-16-2010, 03:55 PM
MaverickGun
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by etalj

. . .will this mod work on an 09 JCW?
Sadly no. According to the product page:

"This valve is not meant for Factory JCW stage 2 Cars, due to the different turbo no gains will be seen using this valve. We are currently working on finding an upgrade for the JCW car."

Old 11-16-2010, 04:18 PM
OctaneGuy
OMG

But on a serious note, will this mod work on an 09 JCW?

Old 11-16-2010, 07:10 PM
etalj
6th Gear
hehe. You're a moderator, you should know better

Thanks maverick

Old 11-17-2010, 12:36 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
sold!

Old 11-17-2010, 12:52 PM
OctaneGuy
yeah but we're still human, lol. I didn't even realize I had missed a letter until you pointed that out, lol, and it really took on new meaning!

hehe. You're a moderator, you should know better

Thanks maverick

Old 11-17-2010, 04:35 PM
etalj
6th Gear
yeah but we're still human, lol. I didn't even realize I had missed a letter until you pointed that out, lol, and it really took on new meaning!
hehe i know, what was funny wasn't the word itself, but it's unfortunate placement in a sentence that gave it some deeper meaning!

Old 11-17-2010, 06:23 PM
laforze
4th Gear
This is my first FAV thread! Very informative.

I'm sold, and this will be my first mod for my new 08.

Cheers!

Old 11-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96
I was told it was added on the 2010 MY as my '09 doesn't have it. It is supposed to keep heat from rolling out from under the turbo heat shield right in to the turbo's oil line and cooking the oil as the car sits there and cools off.
I wonder if this is an OEM part I should look into getting. Does anyone know the part number?

Old 11-18-2010, 12:21 AM
donuttang
3rd Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetti96

just realize, how come the tube is in rubber? mine is in metal - 2007...

Old 11-18-2010, 08:36 AM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Turbo "Oil" Feed Line?

Was about to start grumbling about this thread drifting a bit until I saw that note about the "oil" feed line. While installing my diverter valve I noticed that the bottom end of that line connects to the coolant line coming off the bottom of the overflow tank! I just checked RealOem and the pic they show of it don't look anything like mine and is labeled an oil line no matter what the production date of the car. That extra heat shield on it was added for the 2010 models yet it shows on even early '07 models! BEWARE RealOem. I now tend to think the turbo lube feeds are internal and hook directly to the engine's lube system. Kinda makes sense from a manufacturing stand point.

Nothing wrong with using engine coolant to cool down the turbo on shut down. Early turbo cars were notorious for burned bearings and crystallized impellers. You gotta do something to drop the temp of that 1200deg turbo or it'll boil the oil, fry the bearings, melt the hood scoop and change the hood color! Using engine coolant and a small water pump is a lot cheaper than an extra oil pump and plumbing and is just as effective. I never bought the idea that that whirring you hear on shut down was just an extra pump to lower water temp. If that were the case, why have those fans on the radiator that only come on when temps get too high?

I'm probably wrong on this as BMW never makes a mistake on anything! LMAO.

Opinions?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain WMW Performance Blow off Valve -- opinions?