Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain WMW Performance Blow off Valve -- opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 02:47 PM
Speedin Bob
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installed mine this morning. Silly simple install, no dropped screws. I'm happy with the results so far. However, it was somewhat difficult to test it under 'three-gear-WOT-trips-to-redline' conditions due to wifey along for the ride, 30* temps, and Blizzak snow tires protests.

Breaking the habit of automatically putting it in Sport mode will be the challenge.

Bob

Old 01-30-2011, 07:44 AM
Stealth 993
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gmodder
I just installed the bov but have 1 question..I had to take out the coolant resevoir which pretty much drained out all the coolant...Do i just add all coolant or do need to put some water mixed with it...

As far as what it did to my 2011 club s auto on a short run around the block i noticed no difference...will wait for tommorrow for a more full run...
Oh come on someone most no the answer to this question..
Please, reread your post, it's very hard to understand.

Yes, you can add distilled water, or coolant, or both. It really depends on where you live (how cold it gets) & how much came out to begin with.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:45 AM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Top off the tank with a 50/50 solution of the OEM MINI antifreeze and distilled water and you'll be good to go.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Stealth 993
2nd Gear
Well I didnt have Mini coolant..so i just used Prestone...I didnt mix any water with it but i guess i can drain some of it and add some...Thanks for the reply's
Did you get the NAP "No Phosphate, nitrates, animes" Prestone? If not, don't use the rest of it, it can corrode all the Aluminum alloy components. A little is Ok, but don't use the whole gallon.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:45 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would say i used about 1/2 gallon..Just took some out and added some distilled water.. But now that i have drove the car a little the resevoir has turned blue like it was before..So I hope iam ok..Iam sure the prestone i used was the normal..Its pretty old..
I sure hope your coolant doesn't start gelling because you mixed different style coolants...

Old 01-30-2011, 04:51 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Taking from your rolling eyes...Should i Immediatley got to Mini in the morning and have them flush the coolant system??
Certain coolants when mixed can gel up eventually causing flow issues in the cooling system. I'm not 100% sure if the stuff you bought will gel a little when combined with "BMW Blue" so don't take my word as the definitive answer. Your service advisor can answer what is best to do, as to whether to flush it out or to not worry.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Stealth 993
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
I sure hope your coolant doesn't start gelling because you mixed different style coolants...
Taking from your rolling eyes...Should i Immediatley got to Mini in the morning and have them flush the coolant system??
NO, the BMW stuff will not GEL, but the Audi & VW stuff will. Usually it happens right away.

You should be fine, but I would not go more then 2 years with out flushing it, as you have put some bad stuff in.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:23 AM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
I just ordered this . Hopefully, I will get it before I go to the drag strip this Saturday.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:01 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Weird. I've got an Auto and the difference was night and day with and without the bov. Are you in Sport Mode or Non when testing?

The biggest differences I feel are at lower speeds, in terms of available power. Not high speed. This "manual shift" you refer to is not something we feel and I think that's because we don't lose boost when changing gears unlike in a manual.

I don't understand if you don't like the shift points in automatic, why don't you drive it in manual mode when you want better shift points?

Put it in Sport Mode, and Manual mode and you've got everything you need, full control over shifting and better acceleration.

Richard

Ok I have driven my car a lot since putting the bov in..Did it make me stand and shout?? NO..I really think that the most limiting factor in my case is the Automatic..I tried doing the manual shift..or as close as i can come to that didnt make any difference..

Where i did feel a difference was on the freeway all ready in 6th gear and if a punch it, it does have a little more jerk to it than before..I really dont think this mod is gonna help you from start to stop acceleration..but Iam happy with the boost i get on the freeway since that is 80% of my driving habits..

What my car needs the most is a tune to make the dam transmission shift at different intervals..BMW definetly screwed up when it comes to how and when the auto shifts..

Old 01-31-2011, 10:41 AM
OctaneGuy
Well that's the problem. I don't feel that much of a difference in Sport Mode. Well I do now, but after I installed it, the difference was night and day in non sport mode. Non sport mode became usable.

The most noticeable improvement atleast for wondering whether it's doing anything is with Non Sport Mode. I understand you saying you can't drive without it, but try it. You should notice a difference. You can always enable it after you're done so you don't have to suffer anymore.

I think the fact you can't drive in manual mode with the auto is another issue. There is a day and night performance feel when in manual mode on the auto. Personally, I don't like the full auto when I'm in stop and go traffic or when I'm going around town at anything less than 40mph. As for your DosCai, I've also got a CAI.

You really should try driving in manual mode and "get used to it". I've been driving stick since I was 15, and I'm 40 now. It didn't take much to get used to it. Those with manual experience have the most to gain from driving an auto, IMO.

My 2010 was hard to gain access to, that's why I pulled the reservoir out so I could see it better. Again, I haven't seen a 2011 up close and personal, so I'll take your word for it, lol.

Richard

i just cant get use to shifting without a clutch. Just doesnt feel right..And iam sorry but I just dont feel what your feeling as far launch...Maybe its the DosCai or something else...

All testing has been with Sport mode. I cant drive the car without it enabled..But that is just me..

Iam also wondering if there actually is something more different about the 2011 models then just a slight jump in HP's...I do know it was much more of a pain in the $$$ to install the bov in my 2011 than it was in my 2008..They had a tube coming off the turbo that was right in the way for one of the bolts..

Old 02-02-2011, 08:16 PM
minipete07
3rd Gear
back on track i ordered mine today and it shipped right away! Thanks Way!

Review to follow...got a http://www.pawmotorsport.com/tune in my car so lets see how it likes it

Old 02-02-2011, 09:07 PM
nics.sd
3rd Gear
Ordered mine today, too! Can't wait!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:50 AM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Is the $64 price tag too expensive that you guys are trying to cut me out??? You won't find any part numbers on it the part. I took care of them, so someone couldn't find out the other brand of car I got it from. Cause after they find out they will post the part number and somewhere to buy it for $5 less. You all know what I'm talking about, that won't help my business.

That's about the most honest, reasonable, response I've ever seen posted by a vendor. I really appreciate you guys doing the legwork and testing to bring a new functional product to the R56, it's a sad rarity these days. The R56 really doesn't get a lot of love from the aftermarket.
$64 for a real engine/turbo upgrade, my order's placed, even if I hate the aesthetic of having numbers scratched off like it's stolen

Old 02-21-2011, 03:31 PM
frashed
1st Gear
Is there any possible way to get this to Australia since WMW don't ship here?

Old 02-21-2011, 04:26 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Originally Posted by frashed
are you sure mate? I was going to buy my PSS10s from him, and he was gonna ship them to me in Melb?

If not, I'm sure some kind member here can buy it and send it to you if you give them the money!

Old 02-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
I thought that Way shipped internationally. If not, we'll be carrying this WMW part soon and will be more than happy to get one off to you.

Best,

-Clint

Old 02-21-2011, 05:10 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
We will ship internationally but the customer has to pay via wire transfer NO checks, CC, or paypal. We don't make enough to take on the risk.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 02-21-2011, 05:58 PM
frashed
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
We will ship internationally but the customer has to pay via wire transfer NO checks, CC, or paypal. We don't make enough to take on the risk.
Good to know - perhaps that bit of info needs to be displayed on your website so you don't lose customers.

PM sent

Old 02-23-2011, 01:34 AM
oldcracker
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini'mon
I thought that Way shipped internationally. If not, we'll be carrying this WMW part soon and will be more than happy to get one off to you.

Best,

-Clint
how soon?

Old 02-24-2011, 11:13 PM
PoktRokt
3rd Gear
Has anyone tried the ALTA BOV spring uprgrade?? They claim as good as performance at a 1/3 of the cost...

Old 02-25-2011, 08:33 AM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PoktRokt
Has anyone tried the ALTA BOV spring uprgrade?? They claim as good as performance at a 1/3 of the cost...
I've rarely seen solenoids designed for one spring rate work well for any length of time with a heavier spring in them. This sort of cheapo mod has popped up from time to time on VW forums. I'd much rather go with an oem part that's been engineered to work and last.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:48 PM
cenobyt
2nd Gear
I just received mine today. Mini is going in for it's first 1 year service next week, then this is getting installed. Can't wait.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Reebus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off, thanks to Way for hand-delivering the valve to me in Helen. How's that for customer service!!!??

Secondly, thanks to Octaneguy for posting such a great how to! I didn't lose one nut and only a small amount of Radiator fluid. The install was really easy.

I have noticed a difference in the way the go-pedal reacts. No where near as much lag as before. It also feels to me that the application of the boost is a little better starting off. I really haven't played mush with it in Sport mode yet. That in itself should be a testament to how much better the car performs in "normal". Before, I was always punching the Sport button before pulling out into traffic. I no longer feel the need to do that.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:08 AM
OctaneGuy
That's awesome! Yeah with 91 Octane at $4.07 gallon here in SoCal, the lower RPMs of non sport mode and this mod makes a big day to day driving difference while conserving gas.

Originally Posted by Reebus
Secondly, thanks to Octaneguy for posting such a great how to! I didn't lose one nut and only a small amount of Radiator fluid. The install was really easy.

I have noticed a difference in the way the go-pedal reacts. No where near as much lag as before. It also feels to me that the application of the boost is a little better starting off. I really haven't played mush with it in Sport mode yet. That in itself should be a testament to how much better the car performs in "normal". Before, I was always punching the Sport button before pulling out into traffic. I no longer feel the need to do that.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Headlands
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Reebus
First off, thanks to Way for hand-delivering the valve to me in Helen. How's that for customer service!!!??

Wow! I still can't bear to be in normal mode -- it's so sluggish compared to Sport, even with the Blow off Valve. Didn't make such a noticeable difference for me -- very subtle, but definitely doing something.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain WMW Performance Blow off Valve -- opinions?