Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain WMW Performance Blow off Valve -- opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Reebus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, I thought that $2.51 for 93 here was bad......

Old 03-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Reebus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Headlands
Wow! I still can't bear to be in normal mode -- it's so sluggish compared to Sport, even with the Blow off Valve. Didn't make such a noticeable difference for me -- very subtle, but definitely doing something.
It is subtle, but noticeable enough to me that I don't have to live in Sport mode.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:22 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the fact I have an Auto makes more of a difference. There are more variables when you can control the throttle than when the car is doing it for you..and if I were driving a manual..I'd modulate the throttle whereas that's not possible with an Auto. Also I don't lose boost between gear changes, so that's also another factor where this mod can help by allowing more of it to be available.

re: $4.07
Yeah, they really ream us here in SoCal on gas. Two weeks ago it was around $3.79 and that was bad..

Originally Posted by Headlands
Wow! I still can't bear to be in normal mode -- it's so sluggish compared to Sport, even with the Blow off Valve. Didn't make such a noticeable difference for me -- very subtle, but definitely doing something.

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 03-02-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:12 PM
SpyVsSpy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed WMW Blow Off Valve today. A 5mm Allen Wrench was perfect fit for the screws. It allowed me to remove and reapply them without dropping one. I also removed the Coolant Resevoir and Turbo Boost Tube. All went well. Can't seem to recognize a big difference, but with RMW's tune, it is a rocket anyways. So much fun, so little time.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:22 AM
csblack4
2nd Gear
Howdy all.....Alta has a BOV spring upgrade kit for $24.99, it works like a champ, one of the best mods I have done to my Mini so far. Very easy to do, uses the original valve and mounting screws, in my case I had white slip marks on the screws and I just reapplied it when I was finished....Like Porthos stated above, be careful when removing or installing the screws. I put an old t-shirt below the area and lightly taped the screw to the allen wrench, which is a 5mm, save yourself some time by going to the auto parts store before you start and buy a 1/4 drive 5mm allen & socket combined. The dealership will never know you were there. http://www.altaperformance.com/produ...Spring-Upgrade

The ALTA BOV Spring Upgrade is a better alternative to the more expensive complete replacement BOV's other competitors sell. Our competitors sell you the JCW replacement part which is an upgrade for a MCS, but not for a JCW. We took this a step further and created this simpler, better performing spring upgrade that is an upgrade for both JCW and MCS models!
So Simple, Yet So Effective

The ALTA BOV Spring Upgrade for your stock Blow Off Valve (BOV) is a very effective way to make your turbocharged Mini hold more boost between shifts reducing turbo lag. Our stiffer spring allows the BOV to function normally during normal operations, but, but keeps more pressure in the boost tubes making it feel much faster shifting.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:10 AM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Has anyone with an open intake (so you can hear the "blow off" sound), with a tune (I'm at 17psi), with the DV installed notice compressor surge now with hard shifting/hard boost throttle release?

Old 03-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by SooperCuperErik
Has anyone with an open intake (so you can hear the "blow off" sound), with a tune (I'm at 17psi), with the DV installed notice compressor surge now with hard shifting/hard boost throttle release?
What cues are you getting that it's compressor surge?

Old 03-31-2011, 03:36 PM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Cues?
Well under hard accel (strong boost levels, 17-19psi with tune, 11psi stock), when lifting off the throttle (not rolling off, lifting off, such as when you shift), you hear the compressor wheel stall, then the dv acts like normal after a second, in other words, its a delayed release, thus causing the surging.

Similar to this:

Old 03-31-2011, 03:51 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Ooops, Double Post!!

Last edited by Mini'mon; 03-31-2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Ooops, Double Post!!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:51 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Cues?
Well under hard accel (strong boost levels, 17-19psi with tune, 11psi stock), when lifting off the throttle (not rolling off, lifting off, such as when you shift), you hear the compressor wheel stall, then the dv acts like normal after a second, in other words, its a delayed release, thus causing the surging.

Similar to this:
Whose tune do you have on your car? Does your BOV sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTmqzhrcYxA

Old 03-31-2011, 04:19 PM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini'mon
Whose tune do you have on your car? Does your BOV sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTmqzhrcYxA
its Jan's RMW tune,
I don't have a bov, just swapped stock diverter valve to wmw's dv, so still a circulating system

Looking at this guy's other videos he says he has a jcw with jan's tune, with which has the map set with the challenge car flutter. My map doesn't have that, and I'm getting the flutter from stock map and rmw map, so its not the tune.

Its snow/raining out right now (damn new england), but I went out and made a quick clip, but its hard to hear with all the rain and my canon point and shoot mic is pretty sensitive to sound, so when tones change from low to high the mic cuts out and tries to compensate, so you'll hear the deep exhaust, then when i let off the throttle the high pitched flutter goes, then the boost is released like normal.

If you listen closely you can hear where the sound is almost cutting in and out right before the "BOV" sound is heard.
You'll hear it most apparent at :02, :17, and :22 I believe.
In person its MUCH more apparent and obvious. You almost have to squint to hear it in the video.

In between :02 and :17, I am on/off the throttle, and the boost doesn't build up enough to cause the flutter as bad so its harder to hear.

Sorry its a bad example, but its certainly there and louder in person.

Also, i have an alta intake (except with an AEM dry flow filter), so just a typical "bov" sound you hear in the R56's

Old 03-31-2011, 06:57 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
its Jan's RMW tune,
I don't have a bov, just swapped stock diverter valve to wmw's dv, so still a circulating system

Looking at this guy's other videos he says he has a jcw with jan's tune, with which has the map set with the challenge car flutter. My map doesn't have that, and I'm getting the flutter from stock map and rmw map, so its not the tune.

Its snow/raining out right now (damn new england), but I went out and made a quick clip, but its hard to hear with all the rain and my canon point and shoot mic is pretty sensitive to sound, so when tones change from low to high the mic cuts out and tries to compensate, so you'll hear the deep exhaust, then when i let off the throttle the high pitched flutter goes, then the boost is released like normal.

If you listen closely you can hear where the sound is almost cutting in and out right before the "BOV" sound is heard.
You'll hear it most apparent at :02, :17, and :22 I believe.
In person its MUCH more apparent and obvious. You almost have to squint to hear it in the video.

In between :02 and :17, I am on/off the throttle, and the boost doesn't build up enough to cause the flutter as bad so its harder to hear.

Sorry its a bad example, but its certainly there and louder in person.

Also, i have an alta intake (except with an AEM dry flow filter), so just a typical "bov" sound you hear in the R56's
I get that you actually have diverter valve, but I was using the BOV terminology noted on WMW's site.

It would be really cool to see a video that shows what your car sounds like between shifts instead of just going on & off the throttle. I've heard some stuff about surge from the Forge recirculating BOV from the VW and MINI crowd, but I've never heard of surge related issues w/this part, so I'm curious.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:50 PM
SpyVsSpy
2nd Gear
I ran my mini pretty hard when I installed to detect any noticeable changes but never noticed what appear to be any surge. I will try it again this weekend.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:36 AM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini'mon
I get that you actually have diverter valve, but I was using the BOV terminology noted on WMW's site.

It would be really cool to see a video that shows what your car sounds like between shifts instead of just going on & off the throttle. I've heard some stuff about surge from the Forge recirculating BOV from the VW and MINI crowd, but I've never heard of surge related issues w/this part, so I'm curious.
I gotcha. Its kinda hard, in the snow, with one person, with a camera mount that won't stick to the glass, and driving with one hand on the wheel one on the camera to shift too, but its the same thing, when you shift after hard on boost/accel, the dv works the same way. BUT, I will try to get a better video once its nice out, which seems like it won't be until Sunday/Monday.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:13 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I gotcha. Its kinda hard, in the snow, with one person, with a camera mount that won't stick to the glass, and driving with one hand on the wheel one on the camera to shift too, but its the same thing, when you shift after hard on boost/accel, the dv works the same way. BUT, I will try to get a better video once its nice out, which seems like it won't be until Sunday/Monday.
Snow?!

It was almost 100 here yesterday....

Old 04-01-2011, 11:47 AM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
While the snow is here I don't get boost cuts =p
No wonder you're getting it so often lol
once it hits 50+F here 22psi boost cuts come in like clockwork

Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Snow?!

It was almost 100 here yesterday....

Old 04-03-2011, 11:49 PM
dboard7
4th Gear
Iv been searching this alittle and Im a bit confused.. Is this just the Jcw valve or is it from an audi?

Old 04-04-2011, 11:34 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
You know my R55 makes that same noise but it happened after adding my DDM Street Intake, and before doing the WMW Diverter Valve. I.e., it made this sound despite the WMW valve. I didn't think it was a surge however.

Cues?
]

Old 04-08-2011, 08:45 PM
SpyVsSpy
2nd Gear
I ran my car again and still no turbo surge detected after running real hard. My boost appears to be 14 psi - 16psi.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Melangell
6th Gear
csblack4... seriously? Are you getting paid for the advertising?

Old 04-09-2011, 10:46 AM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell
seriously, I reported the post, but as everyone knows, Alta can get away with murder on this forum.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:11 PM
csblack4
2nd Gear
Are you kidding me!

Originally Posted by Melangell
NO!

We all are trying to getting more HP out of our Mini's and I find a quick low budget fix for the turbo and you guys automaticlly think someone is on the payroll. Excuse me for trying to pass along info to you. For your infomation I'm a Gov employee deployed in the Middle East supporting the men and women of our Armed Forces.

You guys need to grow up and take an informational post for face value!

Old 04-09-2011, 02:40 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Originally Posted by csblack4
You guys need to grow up and take an informational post for face value!
well when you hijack a thread to post information that's already been mentioned, copy & pasted straight out of the companies promo, it looks a lot like underhanded marketing. your post was really in violation of the NAM guidelines.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Thank you n1tr0...

For your information, csblack4, I too am a government employee currently helping thousands of people get about the country safely and also spent a few years AS A MEMBER of our Armed Forces in the sandbox during an earlier war across the pond so I'm not impressed or intimidated.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Alexander!
2nd Gear
quite possibly the most annoying thing i've done on a car so far. first of all whoever put in those bolts torqued the crap out of them. when i took them out there were metal shavings all over the place. getting them back in straight was a pain and i lost one somewhere in the engine bay. luckily the home depot sells the same bolt in black oxide finish.

-Alex

Quick Reply: Drivetrain WMW Performance Blow off Valve -- opinions?