Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain WMW Performance Blow off Valve -- opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:59 PM
barnoun
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alexander!
quite possibly the most annoying thing i've done on a car so far. first of all whoever put in those bolts torqued the crap out of them. when i took them out there were metal shavings all over the place. getting them back in straight was a pain and i lost one somewhere in the engine bay. luckily the home depot sells the same bolt in black oxide finish.

-Alex
The bolts have threadlocker on them, what you saw might have been threadlocker residue. When I reinstalled mine I think I stripped one of them, everything's been working fine though so I'm in no rush to find out if it did get stripped.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Alexander!
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by barnoun
The bolts have threadlocker on them, what you saw might have been threadlocker residue. When I reinstalled mine I think I stripped one of them, everything's been working fine though so I'm in no rush to find out if it did get stripped.
it was not locktite but definitely metal shavings. plus, the threads looked real crappy.

there is definitely a noticeable difference in the car but i'm not sure it was worth the hassle.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:52 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
it was not locktite but definitely metal shavings. plus, the threads looked real crappy.

there is definitely a noticeable difference in the car but i'm not sure it was worth the hassle.
Sounds like someone was in there before and cross-threaded the bolts
That's definitely not the usual experience.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear

No pain, no gain! LOL

Old 05-12-2011, 05:14 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put the WMW Blow off valve in about two weeks ago. I didn't think it was that bad to install. I removed the cold air intake hose and moved the coolant tank and took my time. Not really a problem.

I replaced my spark plugs at the same time, so I'm not sure I can make a fair before and after comparison. But..it sure runs much better. The low end is much smoother and the engine feels stronger.

I have only gone through one tank of gas and the mileage didn't change. I'm going to be watching it long-term but so far very pleased.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:26 PM
dboard7
4th Gear
Just got mine on it wasn’t the easiest thing to do, but i did the hot side pipe at the same time and that sucked! i couldn’t get the muffler off it took a bit of work lol but there in now, time for the intercooler! if I can decide what one to go with

Old 05-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dboard7
Just got mine on it wasn’t the easiest thing to do, but i did the hot side pipe at the same time and that sucked! i couldn’t get the muffler off it took a bit of work lol but there in now, time for the intercooler! if I can decide what one to go with
The Helix stepped core FMIC! Had mine since last year and it works great. Intake temps are either at or within 2-3deg of ambient even on blazing hot days. BTW, I had mine coated with thermal dispersant before install.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:56 AM
jbourne
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The install is really not THAT bad. I looked at it long and hard before I took anything off, then I took off the CAI pipe, and AS LONG AS you have a proper angled Torx T30, you should be able to do remove it without removing the coolant reservoir. Mine was just right, so I was able to complete the entire job with only removing the CAI hose, and nothing else.

The bolts were torqued but nothing excessive. Difference is quite noticeable, even though I tried it for all of 100m so far - we'll see when I go for a drive later. Seems to be quite worth the 60-some bucks!

Old 07-07-2011, 08:05 AM
Speedin Bob
2nd Gear
Been about six months since I installed my WMW BOV. Still very happy.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:47 AM
axleR56
3rd Gear
I installed the valve a few days ago, the whole process took me about 40 minutes, (10 of which were running to the store to get another t30 bit) LOL

My initial impressions are very similar to what others are experiencing. Low down power delivery feels buttery smooth now, and there is no more hesitation/jumping during accel/deccel. This feels like how the car should have came from the factory.

Having the Scangauge installed too helped me to notice that I now build boost faster and hold it better during shifting. This is no placebo, the proof is in the pudding. Anybody with a boost gauge or a scangauge will be able to notice this on something other than the butt-dyno.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Spridget
4th Gear
Interesting stuff... so can you notice a difference in Sport Mode?

Spridget

Old 01-27-2012, 08:17 AM
axleR56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Spridget
Interesting stuff... so can you notice a difference in Sport Mode?

Spridget

I notice a difference in both Sport and normal. However, I still find it annyoing to drive in normal mode. There shouldnt even be a button imo, should be Sport all the time.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:28 PM
mini chili
Neutral
Can I put a bov in a 2011 Cooper S? If I can, what BOV would i use!!!

Old 01-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Step
2nd Gear
has anyone noticed the part number is shaved off....

I opened mine....

the spring was the same,
the diaphram was the same
the housing was the same

....... Am I missing something?

Old 01-29-2012, 10:43 PM
inh
2nd Gear
Step I think 11+ minis come with the updated valve already

Old 01-29-2012, 11:58 PM
mini4tide
3rd Gear
Well, if anyone on here is skeptical about installing this, don't be. It was a VERY simple job. Just be mindful when you're close to backing out the screw, grab it with your fingers as you slide it out, and install it the same way. 15 minute job once you remove the intake pipe. Did it make a difference? Meh, not really on first impression. I'll give it a hard run tomorrow and see for sure.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:55 AM
axleR56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Step

I opened mine....

the spring was the same,
the housing was the same

On mine, the difference was noticeable. Like the pictures posted in this thread earlier, the WMW valve extended further out than the stock one. My stock spring also felt marginally weaker. The overall design on mine was slightly tweaked as well (the holes at the top of the valve were shaped differently).

Old 01-31-2012, 12:56 AM
mini4tide
3rd Gear
Ok. I digress. With a hard run, I noticed a huge difference. Much smoother gear change in my auto. And just as everyone else has said, the power is useable sooner. Great mod. I'm sold!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:27 AM
ORazor
1st Gear
I've seen different accounts of whether there is a noticeable noise with the new BOV(or DV, whatever your mood is). For me, there is a noticeable whirl (a glorified whine) and whoosh while I accelerate. Can anyone else comment? I feel that the sound is the most noticeable difference - more so than any performance gain.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:03 AM
tvanhouten
2nd Gear
Although all of the parts look the same, I thought I read the spring is stiffer than the OEM one. Also there was speculation that this BOV is actually the one for a JCW and that is why the serial number is shaved off (maybe to keep that a secret?).

Originally Posted by Step

I opened mine....

the spring was the same,
the housing was the same

Old 04-01-2012, 02:55 PM
fullymooned
3rd Gear
I am having a real hard time trying to put this BOV in. One of the bolts is rusted so TBIT30 is not working. Is there a way to remove this bolt? Also how can I put this in without removing the coolant?

Old 04-01-2012, 03:38 PM
axleR56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by fullymooned
I am having a real hard time trying to put this BOV in. One of the bolts is rusted so TBIT30 is not working. Is there a way to remove this bolt? Also how can I put this in without removing the coolant?
Taking the coolant res out will take you 5 minutes and save you about 30min of trying to get a hand in there...install is much faster with it gone.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:50 PM
fullymooned
3rd Gear
Do you completely take the coolant reservoir out and keep it aside (out of the car) or do you mean just remove the one bolt thats on it.

Just removing one bolt doesnt give enough space to work around there. Completely removing coolant reservoir means coolant leakage and putting hose clamps back. I think there are 2 hoses to the reservoir(right?)

My bigger problem is that one but is rusted.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:14 PM
fullymooned
3rd Gear
I have lost some of the bolts in the engine bay. Where can I get them from and what are the dimensions. Thank you.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:41 PM
rum4
Banned
Originally Posted by mini chili
Can I put a bov in a 2011 Cooper S? If I can, what BOV would i use!!!
You would have to use this one http://www.waymotorworks.com/forge-blow-off-valve.html

Quick Reply: Drivetrain WMW Performance Blow off Valve -- opinions?