Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain OS Giken STR Clutch/Flywheel - looking for feedback

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010 | 05:36 PM
onefish2
|
6th Gear
OS Giken STR Clutch/Flywheel - looking for feedback

Looking for feedback on replacing the OEM clutch/flywheel with the OS Giken STR Clutch/Flywheel.

Why did you decide to do this?
Cost of parts?
Cost of labor and time to do the work
While the transmission and subframe where down did you replace anything else?
For street use or do you track/auto-x your car?

I am also going to post another thread about the OS Giken super lock limited slip differential.

I plan to do the OS Giken clutch and LSD together but others may have done one or the other.

Last edited by onefish2; 10-20-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-26-2010 | 03:57 PM
scottab36
5th Gear
Got Louise back today with the OS Giken STR1CD clutch and flywheel. So far it's awesome. More to follow.

Old 10-26-2010 | 04:27 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Well you know I could do that in the garage at my condo.... LOL!

What a job!

Old 11-15-2010 | 09:12 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
OK, here is some feedback on the O.S. GIKEN STR1CD:

I weighed both complete units on a calibrated scale
Factory: 36 lbs Giken: 28 lbs

You will have to learn how operated your transmission and clutch again.

The clutch is either on or off (no kidding).

It does not like feathering. If you feather the clutch it will vibrate. The vibration is the clutch disk trying to fully grab the flywheel.

Your MINI will stall more easily on take off due to the lighter flywheel. You have 8 lbs less rotating mass that gave the engine extra inertia to keep you from stalling.

The lower engine dampening polyurethane bushing insert is a must to reduce engine rocking.

If your shifts are not precise and clean the clutch will vibrate. Again, the vibration is the clutch disk trying to fully grab the flywheel.

When you accelerate or de-accelerate the response is immediate and clean.

There is no dual mass flywheel to absorb the surges in acceleration or de-acceleration which makes the MINI jerkier during these events.

With 8 lbs removed from the flywheel the lower gears are very short.

Solid power is delivered to the wheels without being absorbed by the dual mass flywheel.

With my current setup all wheel hop is gone when I launch the MINI. If the stability control is off and I launch the RPMs go straight to redline and stays there until the MINI catches up with no wheel hop.

This mod is not for the casual MINI motorist. It dramatically changes how you and your MINI operate. If you spend any of your daily commute in stop-and-go traffic I would not recommend this modification. Your commute will become torturous.

As for the fun factor, I give it TWO THUMBS UP!!!

The lovely wife has not ridden in my MINI since I added the STR1CD. I suspect there will be a serious asking of "WTF?!?!?!" when she finely does.

That's all for now.....

Old 03-01-2011 | 06:27 PM
4wheels
2nd Gear
I also have the same OS Giken clutch as you do, along with their LSD in my 1.8L stroker. Looks like we even installed it around the same time! Your feedback agrees with mine 100%. If you'd put it in a month prior I may not have one now!

(all comments are post break in)
-cold it's almost friendly
-clutch engagement is almost on/off once warm
-you can slip it a bit, but it will chatter like crazy if warm
-bumper to bumper commute will SUCK with this clutch

Honestly it's fun if you're racing, but sucks if you commute with it. I've grown used to the engagement point (makes taking off from lights "interesting"...), but the chatter is driving me CRAZY!!!

Old 03-01-2011 | 07:04 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
scottab....how is the chatter on yours?

Old 03-02-2011 | 04:58 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
scottab....how is the chatter on yours?
The chatter is not an issue. It took a long time to learn shifting again but well worth it. It only chatters now to tell me "stop riding the clutch".

I did have a serious shutter issue during taking off but isolated to the four top motor mount bolts on the passenger side being loose. I set them with red locktite and "star-torqued" so it will not be an issue again.

A slow take off from a stop is only possible with almost zero throttle applied.

I love the set up but would not recommend it for anyone who commutes in heavy traffic.

Plan on doing MOTD this year and a little AUTO-X. Should to be a fun season.

Old 03-03-2011 | 06:08 PM
4wheels
2nd Gear
Damn, just noticed I posted this in the R56 forum... mine is an R53, so there may be some slight differences, YMMV, although the clutches look the same from your pics above and use the same basic parts if I recall correctly (OS uses the same friction discs & plates across many apps).

Aftermarket clutches in Mini's seem to all be picky. As for chatter, I've found entering the slight uphill freeway onramp when the metering light is on for commute traffic is NOT a pleasant experience! Stop & go for 10-15 feet at a time and it's chatter city soon as the clutch starts to engage. In those circumstances I've resorted to letting cars go a few feet ahead of me before I start moving, so I can take off faster with less clutch slip. But once it's warm from the stop & go, chatter is almost 100% guaranteed with anything other than a near clutch dump start in mine. Any slip to engage, and mine chatters if it's warm. Once you're moving shifts are fine, but the combo of starting from a dead stop with a lighter flywheel assembly & a grabby clutch makes it less enjoyable in traffic.

Old 03-07-2011 | 05:13 PM
Raymazing
4th Gear
I have a used str single disc for sale for cheap! went to dual disc when torque output got too high.