Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Please need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010 | 04:31 PM
wokkie001
|
Neutral
Please need help!

Hi
Just picked up my first Mini Cooper S today. The guy I bought it from didn't do to much maintenance. On the way home after driving like 2 hours I was going up hill and needed to hit the accelarator harder.....suddenly the car starts running bad at 3000 RPM and higher and the the tracking control light came on ....felt like a blockage. The car kept running but just with a strange noise from the exhaust. I stopped and turned the engine off. When I turned it on again the problem was gone. However it came back after like 30 minutes same situation. Is this the "limp problem"and if so how can I solve it.
Also does it help to get a tool to be able to erase codes etc. and how does that works.

Thanks!

Old 11-06-2010 | 04:58 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
The "tool" will delete the codes, it is an odb2 reader, but don't donut till the issue is fixed. The codes will be needed to track down the issue..please remeber the codes may not tell you what the issues is, but it will help narrow it down.
It sounds like, just as you said, the car went into limp mode, which limits the operation. When it happens, turning off the car, then re-starting it can let you drive the car again, abet temporarily, since if the issue reoccurs, the same thing will happen.
It sounds like you need the services of comptent mechanic, preferably a mini centric shop to work on your car. It could be something simple, like a bad sensor, or something bigger, either way, good luck!!

Old 11-06-2010 | 05:08 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Remember, "limp mode" is in itself not a problem, it is how the engine copes with apossible issue, while continuing to run for you benifit...without this limpmode, you car would turn off.
The ODB2 reader will give you a number that can be looked up, so it will narrow down trouble shooting to one general area or system, rather then the entire car. For example it may say sensor "x" is reading out of limits...sure the sensor could be broken, or something upstream of it could be broken, resulting in too much or too little of someting for the sensor to sense! The "tool" does not tell you what is broken!!