Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain DoS CAI & JCW Intake Tube

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010 | 09:30 AM
sunman
|
3rd Gear
DoS CAI & JCW Intake Tube

Finally after a few months wrestling over whether or not to install yet another CAI (previously had the DDM Race Intake without the RAM Air Induction), I have taken the plunge and have joined the many other MINI owner's that have the DoS CAI. It has taken me awhile because I wasn't sure about my DIY skills and taking out the bulkhead and cutting into it. Thanks goes out to Blitzed310 and Basil49 for their willingness to answer my countless of questions, and even offering a hand with the install. In the end, the instructions were very easy to follow, just as Clint described it in my many emails to him too. To top it off, I used the dremel alternative method to make the hole, and installed the JCW Intake Tube

Overall, I'm very satisfied with CAI, but mostly, it gave me confidence in taking on more DIY projects in the future! I'm sure happy that NAM and its members were here to lend a helping hand Here are a couple of pictures of the final install.

Update:
One thing that I have noticed is that the intake air and ambient air temperature difference is about the same with the DDM CAI I previously had, somewhere between 5-10 degrees F in the morning and about 10-12 degrees F in the afternoon - this is when I'm driving on the highway about 65-70 mph. With the stock air box, in the morning it about 2-4 degrees and afternoon 7-9 degrees difference. Is this consistent with what everyone else is experiencing with an aftermarket CAI and stock intercooler? I will see what the temperature difference is in stop and go traffic with the DoS CAI. With the stock airbox I was noticing about 7-12 degrees F in stop and go, and as high has 15-20 when it was just idling in standstill traffic.

Attached Thumbnails DoS CAI & JCW Intake Tube-1289004851335.jpg   DoS CAI & JCW Intake Tube-1289004894951.jpg  

Last edited by sunman; 11-09-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-09-2010 | 03:59 PM
08cooperSblack
2nd Gear
is there a big difference in the size of the jcw intake tube and a stock s and how does the jcw compare to something like altas or k&n

Old 11-10-2010 | 09:22 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by sunman
Finally after a few months wrestling over whether or not to install yet another CAI (previously had the DDM Race Intake without the RAM Air Induction), I have taken the plunge and have joined the many other MINI owner's that have the DoS CAI. It has taken me awhile because I wasn't sure about my DIY skills and taking out the bulkhead and cutting into it. Thanks goes out to Blitzed310 and Basil49 for their willingness to answer my countless of questions, and even offering a hand with the install. In the end, the instructions were very easy to follow, just as Clint described it in my many emails to him too. To top it off, I used the dremel alternative method to make the hole, and installed the JCW Intake Tube

Overall, I'm very satisfied with CAI, but mostly, it gave me confidence in taking on more DIY projects in the future! I'm sure happy that NAM and its members were here to lend a helping hand Here are a couple of pictures of the final install.

Update:
One thing that I have noticed is that the intake air and ambient air temperature difference is about the same with the DDM CAI I previously had, somewhere between 5-10 degrees F in the morning and about 10-12 degrees F in the afternoon - this is when I'm driving on the highway about 65-70 mph. With the stock air box, in the morning it about 2-4 degrees and afternoon 7-9 degrees difference. Is this consistent with what everyone else is experiencing with an aftermarket CAI and stock intercooler? I will see what the temperature difference is in stop and go traffic with the DoS CAI. With the stock airbox I was noticing about 7-12 degrees F in stop and go, and as high has 15-20 when it was just idling in standstill traffic.
Sunman,

Kudos on the install! It looks great. I'll be sending out the other part I promised to you today.

-Clint

Old 11-10-2010 | 09:37 AM
blitzed310
2nd Gear
Lookin good, it's better to ask questions if you are not sure how to do something, nothing wrong with that! Glad it worked out for you, it's gratifying to do something on your own no matter the skill level. Here's to future DIY's!

Old 11-12-2010 | 12:18 PM
sunman
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 08cooperSblack
is there a big difference in the size of the jcw intake tube and a stock s and how does the jcw compare to something like altas or k&n
There have been other threads on this particular topic, but as far as I can tell the biggest difference between the MCS and JCW intake tube is the construction, and the sizes are comparable. The MCS feels sort of like a silicon/rubber material, and the JCW is made out of a hard synthetic plastic and is smooth without the dimples like the MCS tube. The Alta is made out of silicon and the K&N is a hard-pipe made out of stainless steel. Others can correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally Posted by Mini'mon
Sunman,

Kudos on the install! It looks great. I'll be sending out the other part I promised to you today.

-Clint
Thanks Clint. It's definitely been a pleasure doing business with you just as everyone else have already stated too!

Old 11-12-2010 | 12:19 PM
sunman
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by blitzed310
Lookin good, it's better to ask questions if you are not sure how to do something, nothing wrong with that! Glad it worked out for you, it's gratifying to do something on your own no matter the skill level. Here's to future DIY's!
Thanks again for all your help

Old 11-12-2010 | 12:55 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Thanks Clint. It's definitely been a pleasure doing business with you just as everyone else have already stated too!