Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Air Intake!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 01:10 PM
Mjolnir
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

>>Yes, they will. The 10hp (assuming it can overcome aero drag) will turn the same 90 mph in 3rd gear at 7200 rpm as the 300hp version (assuming the gearing is the same). It will take the 10hp version about 3 days to get there, while the 300hp will do it in about 10 seconds. Speed at a specific RPM point is all about gearing and wheel size.
>>

Mathematically, yes. Real world, no.

I've had 2 cars that were turbocharged that were 10MPH faster in the top end during winter than they were on a hot August day.

African or European: It's a monty python joke. About power and weight ratios....

Old 10-25-2002, 01:12 PM
Bluegarvis
3rd Gear
>>African or European: It's a monty python joke. About power and weight ratios....

Old 10-25-2002, 01:16 PM
8ball
6th Gear
>>I've had 2 cars that were turbocharged that were 10MPH faster in the top end during winter than they were on a hot August day.
>>

everyone knows that on hot days the gear teeth expand and the resulting slop between them makes the tach read differently ...

Old 10-25-2002, 01:19 PM
Mjolnir
5th Gear
>>>>I've had 2 cars that were turbocharged that were 10MPH faster in the top end during winter than they were on a hot August day.
>>>>
>>
>>
>>everyone knows that on hot days the gear teeth expand and the resulting slop between them makes the tach read differently ...

Maybe it's the fact that I put 12 volt battery water in instead of 6 volt too, right?

Or maybe the muffler belt shrinks when it's cold and makes your car faster...

Old 10-25-2002, 01:19 PM
Bluegarvis
3rd Gear
>>>>I've had 2 cars that were turbocharged that were 10MPH faster in the top end during winter than they were on a hot August day.
>>>>
>>
>>
>>everyone knows that on hot days the gear teeth expand and the resulting slop between them makes the tach read differently ...

Got any muffler bearings for sale??

Old 10-25-2002, 01:21 PM
Mjolnir
5th Gear
>>>>>>I've had 2 cars that were turbocharged that were 10MPH faster in the top end during winter than they were on a hot August day.
>>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>everyone knows that on hot days the gear teeth expand and the resulting slop between them makes the tach read differently ...
>>
>>Got any muffler bearings for sale??

If you find any let me know, I'm also looking for some blinker fluid. My mechanic charges me an arm and a let when HE replaces it.

Old 10-26-2002, 12:14 PM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
OK, my bad... (and this should clear up any confusion if it's correct).. from what I've heard, and I don't see why the MINI should be different, the speed sensor is based upon tranny output. Theirfor, what you have is what you have.. your revs could be higher vs how much throttle you are giving it (which is really what I was thinking of), but the better speed at same revs just doesn't float (that's what I get for posting when I'm half asleep... of course, right about now, the only time i'm NOT half asleep, is when i'm fully asleep.. )

But the cold thing, there was a dyno test posted a while ago (i'm sure i couldn't find it even if i tried) where the MCS did post a bit better results with the bonnet open and a fan on the intercooler, vs bonnet closed and no airflow...

Rocketboy_X
I'm off to find a footlong yardstick...

Old 10-27-2002, 05:03 AM
jlm
6th Gear
tuning your engine to get more power is all about burning more fuel efficiently over a wide as possible rpm band.

if you can input more oxygen, you can probably burn more fuel. One of the limiting factors in the S is the air intake: the stock filter restricts flow (volume), compared to the BMP and Rogue filters, and the air is sourced from a duct in the hood and from a small hole to the windscreen area. the BMP is presumably capable of drawing more air because it also sources air from the under-the-hood area (since it doesn't fit tight to the firewall) the Rogue is sealed agains under-the-hood air.

If air is colder, it contains more oxygen per unit volume, so the same flow should be able to burn more fuel...
the fault of the BMP is that the under-the-hood air isn't as cold; the fault of the Rogue is that they are volume limited, compared to the BMP (but all the air is colder.)

those dyno runs that improved with the fan running? duh! not only is the air going to be cooler, but more of it will be crammed into the hood air scoop, as it would be were the car moving down the road

Old 10-27-2002, 06:27 PM
115hp
5th Gear
What about the Pipercross Viper, doesn't that suck in air via a hose/cone down low?

Old 10-28-2002, 01:33 PM
TheBluePotato
4th Gear
Yes to the Viper, but again, you have a seious heat soak issue where the entire air tract is inside the engine compartment - any time you have a cramped eagine compartment, you are going to get heat soak regardless. Many of these intake kits just do not add up in HP claims - the Mini stock intake is really well designed, but I tend to like my intake a bit more robust with sound :smile: . We are testing several as well as testing temps at the intake.

Old 10-29-2002, 12:14 AM
DaveNagy
2nd Gear
"Sure it does. You're telling me that a Mini with 10HP will top end out at the same speed as one with 300HP?"

Are you just doing this to be funny now, or are you really that confused?

Of course the two cars will "top end out" at the same speed. (Assuming that a 10HP car could even get to redline.) That's what "top end" means. If the RPMs haven't changed, and the gearing hasn't changed, the speed can't change. The only thing that can vary is acceleration.

Period.

-Dave

Old 11-01-2002, 02:05 PM
diamini
Banned
>>What about the Pipercross Viper, doesn't that suck in air via a hose/cone down low?

Hello Greg67,

To answer your question about the Viper Kit. I am the US Distributor for PiperCross.
I will provide with what I have learned about any product that I have bought and/or personally ran on my Mini Cooper.

The Viper Kit is a stock replacement of the filter box ONLY. The Viper Kit uses the stock intake hose and the stock resonator box. It does not drop off below the car anywhere. As there is no place to go out side the car with out cutting a round hole in the wheel well. It contains a foam filter that can be cleaned and oiled on a regular basis. The filter has a life time guarantee and is protected by a carbon fiber shell.

I know for a fact that after I run in a autocross or after S. Cal rush hour traffic I can touch this induction system and not get be bothered by the heat.

If I compare this to a Cone filter that I had connected to a Samco like tube connecting to the throttle body. I was unable to do this.

The biggest difference between both are the heat and low end torque and performance.

Scenario 1 has proved to be better the second.

Now, I have two Mini Coopers. I being Diamond Racing. The one I drive I pulled out my Resonator Box. Which required me to pull of the front bumper, the front aluminum support brace, loosen the radiator support and pull off the driver side bumper support brace. Whew...I have this whole process documented with pictures.

Because I did this it opened up some room that has allowed me to stick a 3" hose down through the Transmission lines. And connect to my Viper Kit. Thus pulling air from below the car. Has it increased anything??? It sounds better but I will find out when I race my partner to the SEMA show in Las Vegas. Were they both our cars will be featured. His Viper Kit is running through the stock resonator. So we will see. I am hopping I will because I have added a bigger cam and had some head work done as well.

Old 04-12-2003, 10:37 AM
motormad
3rd Gear
>>>>>>Doesn't make sense there Jay. If you have more power, better breathing, the job will get done faster, but the speed will still be the same as the wheels will turn at a specific rate because of the gearing and the engine speed... A better breathing vacuum will get the job done faster, that is all. :smile:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>Sure it does. You're telling me that a Mini with 10HP will top end out at the same speed as one with 300HP?
>>>>
>>>>Uh uh.
>>>>
>>>>-J
>>
>>Yes, they will. The 10hp (assuming it can overcome aero drag) will turn the same 90 mph in 3rd gear at 7200 rpm as the 300hp version (assuming the gearing is the same). It will take the 10hp version about 3 days to get there, while the 300hp will do it in about 10 seconds. Speed at a specific RPM point is all about gearing and wheel size.
>>
"Top end" is usually where all resistiive forces (gear box & drive line losses, rolling resitance, air drag, etc) = engine power output OR is a function of top gearing and top engine RPM.

A 10 HP MINI vs a 300 HP MINI top speed in first gear would be the same assuming the same redline, tires, etc. The 10 HP MINI would not be able to overcome the air drag and may not be able to pull redine in second gear and very likely wouldn't pull redline in third gear. It should be clear that top end of a 10 HP MINI will be much less than that of a 300 HP MINI. Power can only increase top end speed if engine rpm can increase. A stock MCS and a 200+ hp MCS with the same RPM limit and stock gearing/tires would have the same top end speed. The 200 HP+ car would get to top speed faster.

According to the literature, the MCS is top speed limitied to 136 mph by forces other than resistive forces. I am sure there are some of you out there who have figured out how to override the factory installed top speed governor. If so, what is the new "top end" speed?

Old 04-12-2003, 01:24 PM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
If you want to go one better with the intake, you need to do the air box mod that was posted by RandyBMC, I believe. It will make the supercharger whine more noticable but you'll definitely increase your airflow. The process is laid out under the title "MINI-Motorsport Airbox Modification How-to" from Dec 29th 2002.

03 B/W S model; Madness intake; Cibie 45 lamps

Old 04-12-2003, 09:34 PM
bbt4
3rd Gear
hello all,

i just listed my promini filter on ebay. i want that new alta cold air intake.

bbt4
mcs