Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Air Intake!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 07:11 PM
bbt4
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone get their intake system for a MCS yet? i ordered mine a month and half ago from BMP Design and they are still telling me that "it'll be couple more weeks". are there any out there at all? they didn't charged me yet, but what's taking so long? are all the machine shops busy making bullets and missiles for George W. Bush instead of makking auto parts?

just starring at a picture is no fun.

bbt4

Old 10-01-2002, 07:41 PM
julianvh
3rd Gear
I got mine from Rouge and it is superb, check it out.

Old 10-04-2002, 06:42 PM
diamini
Banned
All intakes appear to be the same for the MCS. What is the real difference?

Old 10-04-2002, 07:00 PM
LifeIsGood
2nd Gear
I got my system from MINI-Madness today. 15 minutes to install as they said. Sounds good. Feels good. Can't wait to really get on it outside of my neighborhood! :smile:

Old 10-09-2002, 09:02 PM
rory
3rd Gear
Ordered a BMP for my S yesterday. Will show results when it happens.

Old 10-13-2002, 03:37 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
hello all,
i've read ..ALL... the info posted on this site re:cold-air intake...and it seems that.......the best senario you get....is as follows:
- 0 to about 8... hp gain
- a truly cool sounding, more pronounced,..... whining sound...when you accelerate
- the possibility of a voided warrantee.

and all of this will cost you..... money. approx $70-$300

It just doesn't make sence to me.....

Old 10-13-2002, 03:49 PM
HighAnxiety
4th Gear
>>hello all,
>>i've read ..ALL... the info posted on this site re:cold-air intake...and it seems that.......the best senario you get....is as follows:
>>- 0 to about 8... hp gain
>>- a truly cool sounding, more pronounced,..... whining sound...when you accelerate
>>- the possibility of a voided warrantee.
>>
>>and all of this will cost you..... money. approx $70-$300
>>
>>It just doesn't make sence to me.....
>>
>>

All sounds about right, but the warranty part. It won't void your warranty.

Old 10-17-2002, 09:26 PM
rory
3rd Gear
OK, received the BMP Intake for my MCS. Took under 10 minutes to remove the stocker and install the BMP unit. Very easy. Tools needed, #25 torx and a flat screwdriver.

Only had time for a quick trip around the block. The supercharger whine is louder when nailing the throttle, however it sounds about the same when crusing so it's not annoying. Car seems to run smoother. Went from 2500 rpm and eased up to 3500 rpm trying to make it yoyo, surge, whatever you want to call it, which it normally does at 3200 rpm, and it didn't happen. Tomorrow I'll try to make it yoyo again to see if it was just a fluke. It seems like it has better acceleration, but again, I'll be checking that tomorrow as well when I hop on the freeway. As it was in stock form, I was able to pull 90mph in 3rd gear at redline so I'll use that as a comparison, as well as the old "seat of the pants" method.

So, here's the question, when the dealer reprograms the computer with the upgrade to make cold start problems and surging in 2nd gear go away, is he just making the fuel mixture leaner or creating the same effect of leaning the fuel mixture by advancing the timing? With the BMP letting more air get to the motor than the stock filter, it should also create the same leaner situation thus making the cold start and surge go away. Tomorrow morning will tell on the cold start deal.

If I get time I'll post my finding tomorrow eve. I'm going on vacation for a week so I may have to reply on my return.

Rory

Old 10-17-2002, 09:48 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanx for the post Rory. I've been eyeing that intake for a bit now. Seems to be a good bang for the buck. At the top of my head it was something like $169(USD) for 12.5hp increase? Or something there close to that.
Doesn't look like the Viper intake for the 'S' model is going to happen either soon or at all. So this looks like the best option so far. Providing that the claimed 12.5hp increase is accurate. If you could put it to the raod test for us, and report back your findings, that would be great, and much appreciated. Or if you can, a dyno test would be even greater.
On a 2nd note. There was word that there are sensors at the bottom part of the stock intake box. Was the entire box gutted out to make room for this intake? Any sensors there? If so, were they left in? Could you clarify any findings in that regard, please? Any problems with any lights coming on(check engine light, etc)? Thanx.
What kind of filter is used? Material, name brand, etc?
Sorry for the bombardment of questions. You're probably like the first here that has reported the set up. Thanx in advance to any light you can share on it all.
Cheers,

Old 10-17-2002, 10:10 PM
rory
3rd Gear
Mad-man,

It was $180.00 to my door. Shipped from Texas to Southern California.

You just remove the top half of the stock air box and then remove the stock paper filter. The stock intake tube (from the grill) is retained along with all it's sensors and the stock hose running from the filter to the motor is also left in place. The cover is made of aluminum and seals to the lip of the remaing bottom half of the stock box. The end of the BMP cover is open (towards the windshield) and is about 2" from sealing to the cowling. You may think hot air from the motor will get to the filter through this gap and you may be right when the car is sitting still but when the car is in motion, any air not used by the car will actually push the hot air away from this area.

No warning lights have come on.

The filter is made of a K&N type material by BMP which BMP claims flows better than the K&N. The filter has a slight cone shape to it and instead of just capping the end of the filter it has another added filter which goes back inside towards the mouth of the filter in kind of a venturi shape (you have to be confused by now, but it's hard to explain).

Hope this helps.

Rory

Old 10-18-2002, 06:10 AM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanx for the additional info there Rory. I think I'll order myself one within the next little bit here.
Would say there is a good feel for the extra ponies kicking away with the filter on?

Old 10-18-2002, 05:04 PM
rory
3rd Gear
First full day with the BMP kit installed.

Fired up an the first try this morning. It had been taking 2 or 3 times latley. After the car sat for 10 hours at work, it fired on the second try. Jury's still out on if it helped the starting problem.

The yoyo effect is still there, but very, very slight and not all the time. Way better than before.

The motor is running smoother for sure.

The performance is improved. How much? Enough that I can feel it. Before redline in 3rd was a max of 90mph now it's about 93mph (best guess with the Mini speedo). It seems to get there quicker also. Midrange pull seems better too. Is it the 12 HP BMP claims? Since I don't have a dyno, and I'm not going to pay to go sit on one, I don't know. I'm not sure what an extra 12 HP on this car should feel like. I just know it is improved.

The supercharger whine is noticable only when the throttle is nailed otherwise it sounds about the same as before.

Fit and finish is first rate. The polished cover looks cool under the hood (bonnet).

Now for the big question. Would I buy it again if I knew what I know now? Yep, Yep, Yep.

There ya have it. My review. My 2 cents on this product.

Now all I have to do is save some cash for an exhaust system!

Rory

Old 10-19-2002, 11:51 PM
DaveNagy
2nd Gear
Okay. I gotta ask. How the heck can an air intake cause your speed to be higher at a given RPM? (In this case, at redline in 3rd gear.) That relationship is determined solely by your gear ratios, right?

What am I missing? Are you saying your redline is higher? Or that you can overshoot your redline and get into the rev limiter "harder"? (ie. be accelerating harder at the moment you hit the redline)

-Dave

Old 10-20-2002, 09:44 AM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
>>Okay. I gotta ask. How the heck can an air intake cause your speed to be higher at a given RPM? (In this case, at redline in 3rd gear.) That relationship is determined solely by your gear ratios, right?
>>

Not really... if the air getting to your engine was of a better quality, you should be able to get more power.. that's the reasoning behind a super/turbo charger...

Rocketboy_X

Old 10-20-2002, 10:56 AM
sidbreen
1st Gear
I am with davenagy on this. More air means more power, which means quicker acceleration, but that shouldn't mean a faster speed for a given rpm. The engine is connected to the wheels through gears in the transmission, so without changing the gearing there is no way to increase speed at a given rpm. The only way is to push it farther into redline, which you should be able to do without the air box, unless the engine doesn't have enough power, which I doubt, especially since rory said 90 was at redline before.

Old 10-25-2002, 11:42 AM
diamini
Banned
It is the deference between hot air and cool air. This does make a difference. If your engine in pulling hot air it chokes.

Analogy:

When you step off the airplane at the Palm Springs airport when it is over 100, unexpected, you breath in and you almost choke.

Same thing for an engine. But, our engines can not adjust.

This explains while running a engine bay induction system you have good low end performance when you car first starts up. But, once your engine gets hot your car feels like it is choking until you hit 3500+ rpms.

Old 10-25-2002, 12:15 PM
picoman
2nd Gear
Wait a sec...if I remember my son's science class (and mine but that was too long ago)...colder air is denser and holds more oxygen. Right? hotter air means the molecules are more excited and they expand thus having fewer of them in the same volume. Colder air = more oxygen = more power

Old 10-25-2002, 12:28 PM
Mjolnir
5th Gear
>>Wait a sec...if I remember my son's science class (and mine but that was too long ago)...colder air is denser and holds more oxygen. Right? hotter air means the molecules are more excited and they expand thus having fewer of them in the same volume. Colder air = more oxygen = more power

That is correct. Why else do you think we have an Intercooler on our MCS?

(Well ok, I don't have mine yet)

Old 10-25-2002, 12:46 PM
Bluegarvis
3rd Gear
>>The performance is improved. How much? Enough that I can feel it. Before redline in 3rd was a max of 90mph now it's about 93mph (best guess with the Mini speedo). It seems to get there quicker also. Midrange pull seems better too. Is it the 12 HP BMP claims? Since I don't have a dyno, and I'm not going to pay to go sit on one, I don't know. I'm not sure what an extra 12 HP on this car should feel like. I just know it is improved.

Hold on a sec there Rory :smile: Speed and engine revs are directly related. That's why the NASCAR boys drive at a specific RPM point to avoid getting nailed for speeding down the pit lanes. With a better breathing machine, you will get to that relational point quicker, but your speed will remain the same. Remeber engine reves turn the trans, which turn the wheels. Better acceleration does not equal a faster speed in a given gear at a given RPM

Old 10-25-2002, 12:47 PM
Mjolnir
5th Gear
>>Okay. I gotta ask. How the heck can an air intake cause your speed to be higher at a given RPM? (In this case, at redline in 3rd gear.) That relationship is determined solely by your gear ratios, right?
>>
>>What am I missing? Are you saying your redline is higher? Or that you can overshoot your redline and get into the rev limiter "harder"? (ie. be accelerating harder at the moment you hit the redline)
>>
>>-Dave

Well, I'll try not to be insulting but think about it...

RPM isn't the issue, it's power AT that RPM. (We'll leave gearing to a separate discussion.) Otherwise, in an extreme example wouldn't a Mini with 50HP be just as fast as one with 300HP?

Bottom line is that more dense (cooler) air means that your super charger and therefore engine don't have to work as hard to GET that air.

The whole basis for super/turbo charging is getting more air so your engine doesn't have to do the work. An efficient air filter is yet another way to do that.

Take a vaccum cleaner. When it's unrestricted it pulls pretty well. Place a nylon over it and it will slow it down (the air) and the motor will have to work harder. Put a piece of denim over the tube and it will REALLY have to work. Same idea with the air cleaners.

Make sense?

Being a Wisconsinite I know a LOT about cold air.

Old 10-25-2002, 12:53 PM
Bluegarvis
3rd Gear
>>>>Okay. I gotta ask. How the heck can an air intake cause your speed to be higher at a given RPM? (In this case, at redline in 3rd gear.) That relationship is determined solely by your gear ratios, right?
>>>>
>>>>What am I missing? Are you saying your redline is higher? Or that you can overshoot your redline and get into the rev limiter "harder"? (ie. be accelerating harder at the moment you hit the redline)
>>>>
>>>>-Dave
>>
>>Well, I'll try not to be insulting but think about it...
>>
>>RPM isn't the issue, it's power AT that RPM. (We'll leave gearing to a separate discussion.) Otherwise, in an extreme example wouldn't a Mini with 50HP be just as fast as one with 300HP?
>>
>>Bottom line is that more dense (cooler) air means that your super charger and therefore engine don't have to work as hard to GET that air.
>>
>>The whole basis for super/turbo charging is getting more air so your engine doesn't have to do the work. An efficient air filter is yet another way to do that.
>>
>>Take a vaccum cleaner. When it's unrestricted it pulls pretty well. Place a nylon over it and it will slow it down (the air) and the motor will have to work harder. Put a piece of denim over the tube and it will REALLY have to work. Same idea with the air cleaners.
>>
>>Make sense?
>>
>>Being a Wisconsinite I know a LOT about cold air. :smile:

Old 10-25-2002, 12:57 PM
Mjolnir
5th Gear
>>Doesn't make sense there Jay. If you have more power, better breathing, the job will get done faster, but the speed will still be the same as the wheels will turn at a specific rate because of the gearing and the engine speed... A better breathing vacuum will get the job done faster, that is all. :smile:

Sure it does. You're telling me that a Mini with 10HP will top end out at the same speed as one with 300HP?

Uh uh.

-J

Old 10-25-2002, 12:58 PM
Mjolnir
5th Gear
One more thing...

African or European?

Old 10-25-2002, 01:02 PM
Bluegarvis
3rd Gear
>>>>Doesn't make sense there Jay. If you have more power, better breathing, the job will get done faster, but the speed will still be the same as the wheels will turn at a specific rate because of the gearing and the engine speed... A better breathing vacuum will get the job done faster, that is all. :smile:
>>
>>
>>Sure it does. You're telling me that a Mini with 10HP will top end out at the same speed as one with 300HP?
>>
>>Uh uh.
>>
>>-J

Yes, they will. The 10hp (assuming it can overcome aero drag) will turn the same 90 mph in 3rd gear at 7200 rpm as the 300hp version (assuming the gearing is the same). It will take the 10hp version about 3 days to get there, while the 300hp will do it in about 10 seconds. Speed at a specific RPM point is all about gearing and wheel size.

G.

Old 10-25-2002, 01:05 PM
Bluegarvis
3rd Gear
>>One more thing...
>>
>>African or European?
>>
>>
Say What??? Pure So. Cal, dude!!!!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Air Intake!!!