Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Schrick Cams

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010 | 10:25 PM
dunphyj
|
4th Gear
Schrick Cams

http://www.mini-madness.com/R56-schr...amshaft-1.aspx

anyone out there running these or have ANY info at all on them?? i emailed mini madness LOTS of times and heard NOTHING....

Old 11-29-2010 | 11:27 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dunphyj
http://www.mini-madness.com/R56-schr...amshaft-1.aspx

anyone out there running these or have ANY info at all on them?? i emailed mini madness LOTS of times and heard NOTHING....
someone who used to be here, who shall not be named, who's screename was similar to a "tame racing driver" on a British automotive show ...tried them. (i think...)

Other than him.....i'm pretty sure czar has tested a variety of cams for the R56, or at the very least...knows A LOT about them....

Choosing the proper cams for this car is not that simple of a task. An off the shelf set is less than ideal. Ideally you should have a set of cams built to take the most advantage of the turbo's flow characteristics that you are running...

Old 11-30-2010 | 12:07 AM
dunphyj
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
someone who used to be here, who shall not be named, who's screename was similar to a "tame racing driver" on a British automotive show ...tried them. (i think...)

Other than him.....i'm pretty sure czar has tested a variety of cams for the R56, or at the very least...knows A LOT about them....

Choosing the proper cams for this car is not that simple of a task. An off the shelf set is less than ideal. Ideally you should have a set of cams built to take the most advantage of the turbo's flow characteristics that you are running...
know of any good cam fabricators off the top of your head?? Spent the time getting a custom turbo, tune, and interior pieces, might as well spend the money on cams suited for my car

Old 12-01-2010 | 08:46 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Schrick is high-end stuff. I had a pair of Schrick sticks in my 2-liter, 16v Scirocco. They cost an arm and a leg, but they were the best option available for the application. You're not going to go wrong with Schrick, but your wallet is apt get drained in the process.

Old 12-01-2010 | 09:59 PM
dunphyj
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by KevinC
Schrick is high-end stuff. I had a pair of Schrick sticks in my 2-liter, 16v Scirocco. They cost an arm and a leg, but they were the best option available for the application. You're not going to go wrong with Schrick, but your wallet is apt get drained in the process.
im fine with the drain but i cant adjust my tune without knowing whats being effected by the cams

Last edited by dunphyj; 12-01-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-01-2010 | 10:09 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Yes, and it will be best to do the cam last.

Unlike a boosted s/c motor like the R53 where cams are a popular mod, our boost varies in pressure and delivery throughout the rev range. This all changes depending on turbo you are using, whether the head is ported/has bigger valves, how much your downpipe/exhaust is flowing, etc. Our single VANOS can also be played with through tuning, so that also creates another variable.

It will be best to have a horsepower & driveability goal in mind, then build accordingly....once complete, spec a cam which suits everything else, and then finalize the tune. Since not many people have tested cams yet, it is going to be a long while before you find out what the best cam profile is for each situation. There's almost no point in putting cams with the stock turbo, as the stock turbo becomes your limitation. Then once you change the turbo, your head becomes the limitation. Change all that, and then you're going to be making enough power to need to change pistons/rods. It's a never ending cycle.

Old 12-03-2010 | 10:27 AM
dunphyj
|
4th Gear
Yes, and it will be best to do the cam last.

Unlike a boosted s/c motor like the R53 where cams are a popular mod, our boost varies in pressure and delivery throughout the rev range. This all changes depending on turbo you are using, whether the head is ported/has bigger valves, how much your downpipe/exhaust is flowing, etc. Our single VANOS can also be played with through tuning, so that also creates another variable.

It will be best to have a horsepower & driveability goal in mind, then build accordingly....once complete, spec a cam which suits everything else, and then finalize the tune. Since not many people have tested cams yet, it is going to be a long while before you find out what the best cam profile is for each situation. There's almost no point in putting cams with the stock turbo, as the stock turbo becomes your limitation. Then once you change the turbo, your head becomes the limitation. Change all that, and then you're going to be making enough power to need to change pistons/rods. It's a never ending cycle.
welll i ordered forged internals and stronger connecting rods last week, so i know my car can take it, im looking into porting the head till that thing can flow like an Integra type R head :P at which point upgraded turbo will breath better (not much but will spool faster by a bit) and i just wanted to know if teh cam was worth while to compliment all the other upgrades (tho i'm seriously considering buying the refresh double vanos head and modding that instead IF it'll transfer over... but might be more trouble than it's worth.)

Old 12-03-2010 | 01:07 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dunphyj
welll i ordered forged internals and stronger connecting rods last week, so i know my car can take it, im looking into porting the head till that thing can flow like an Integra type R head :P at which point upgraded turbo will breath better (not much but will spool faster by a bit) and i just wanted to know if teh cam was worth while to compliment all the other upgrades (tho i'm seriously considering buying the refresh double vanos head and modding that instead IF it'll transfer over... but might be more trouble than it's worth.)
Nice!!

Who'd you go with?

And the dual VANOS would be cool...but even if it'll transfer over, I imagine the ECU wouldn't know what to do with the dual VANOS...you'd probably need an ECU from an '11.

Old 12-03-2010 | 02:24 PM
dunphyj
|
4th Gear
Nice!!

Who'd you go with?

And the dual VANOS would be cool...but even if it'll transfer over, I imagine the ECU wouldn't know what to do with the dual VANOS...you'd probably need an ECU from an '11.
I'm kinda surprised they didn't go dual vanos on the jcws...