Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Found something interesting on wikipedia...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010 | 10:35 AM
Mini Coupe
|
2nd Gear
Found something interesting on wikipedia...

So, I was reading up the other day on Wikipedia about turbochargers and I came across this...

"Sequential

Some car makers combat lag by using two small turbos. A typical arrangement for this is to have one turbo active across the entire rev range of the engine and one coming on-line at higher RPM. Below this RPM, both exhaust and air inlet of the secondary turbo are closed. Being individually smaller they do not suffer from excessive lag and having the second turbo operating at a higher RPM range allows it to get to full rotational speed before it is required. Such combinations are referred to as a sequential twin-turbo. Porsche first used this technology in 1985 in the Porsche 959. Sequential twin-turbos are usually much more complicated than a single or parallel twin-turbo systems because they require what amounts to three sets of intake and waste gate pipes for the two turbochargers as well as valves to control the direction of the exhaust gases. Many new diesel engines use this technology to not only eliminate lag but also to reduce fuel consumption and reduce emissions."

So I came up with this crazy idea in my head... I originally had wanted to do a Garrett turbocharger in my 2010 MCS, but would it work to leave the stock turbo there and put a Garrett turbo on as well that would spool say past 3500 rpm? The reason why I decided not to do the Garrett in the first place was because I read that it can not spool till mid to high rpm range anyways.

I know this sounds crazy, but if the concept works as well on paper as it does in my head, I see where my mini is a year from now

Adam

Old 11-30-2010 | 11:16 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
MINI already has the best of both worlds in the OEM twin-scroll turbo.

Old 11-30-2010 | 11:19 AM
Mini Coupe
|
2nd Gear
I wouldn't say the best. Because my world has +\- 300 hp!

Old 11-30-2010 | 12:08 PM
laforze
4th Gear
Isn't this essentially what the 335I is using?

Old 11-30-2010 | 12:16 PM
Mini Coupe
|
2nd Gear
I believe the 335i is using twin (in-line) turbos. Meaning they form one line from inlet to outlet.

Old 11-30-2010 | 12:19 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
S Twin-scoll Turbo package: $3,600

Redesign by Wikipedia: *PRICELESS*

Old 11-30-2010 | 12:24 PM
Mini Coupe
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MCS Fever
S Twin-scoll Turbo package: $3,100

Redesign by Wikipedia: *PRICELESS*

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding your post or visaversa but what my post was, was wikipedias explanation of a sequential turbo setup... Having nothing to do with mini coopers... I was curious if that could be built (aftermarket of course) to the mini..

Old 11-30-2010 | 01:01 PM
czar
4th Gear
Before you get carried away with your dream of 2 turbos, just open your hood and have a good look!

Then ask yourself, where you going to put the second additional turbo ?

Old 11-30-2010 | 01:06 PM
Mini Coupe
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by czar
Before you get carried away with your dream of 2 turbos, just open your hood and have a good look!

Then ask yourself, where you going to put the second additional turbo ?
I bought the defenders of speed CAI, so where your factory airbox is I will have all of that space open...

Old 11-30-2010 | 01:24 PM
czar
4th Gear
Hmmm you've already mentioned, it's a crazy idea in your head, believe and trust me, please keep it in there, your pissing into the wind with this one.

Old 11-30-2010 | 01:34 PM
tintman718
3rd Gear
Wow, just get a 335i and end this thread please....

Old 11-30-2010 | 01:45 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Coupe
I bought the defenders of speed CAI, so where your factory airbox is I will have all of that space open...
so... wait.... you want to somehow put a turbo next to your plastic intake manifold?.... you might seriously want to rethink your logic there... and like czar said... there's no room for a second turbo unless you get some kinda micro turbo and a twin intake/boost tube setup... good luck on that one tho :P chances are the money won't be even remotely worth the gain...

Old 11-30-2010 | 01:56 PM
Mini Coupe
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tintman718
Wow, just get a 335i and end this thread please....
The whole point of this thread was to see if it's even possible. And your know-it-all snoby better than everyone else talk is not welcome in my thread.

Thanks

Old 11-30-2010 | 02:04 PM
Mini Coupe
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dunphyj
so... wait.... you want to somehow put a turbo next to your plastic intake manifold?.... you might seriously want to rethink your logic there... and like czar said... there's no room for a second turbo unless you get some kinda micro turbo and a twin intake/boost tube setup... good luck on that one tho :P chances are the money won't be even remotely worth the gain...
I'm not a mechanic my any means, and I don't know what goes into building one of these setups. I have no clue how much piping and all of that would be needed. I figured there wouldn't be room, just thought I'd project my idea and get some feedback about why it would/wouldn't work. But the DoS CAI does free up a lot of room where the old airbox used to be.

Old 11-30-2010 | 02:21 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
I think the point a lot of people are trying to make is that it takes a lot of complex engineering to make all this stuff work in the first place, there's no such thing as just bolting on another turbo and somehow getting 300 hp. There's engine management, if nothing else, along with all the requisite plumbing nightmares - intercoolers - larger radiator to deal with the additional heat - bigger exhaust - not to mention where in the heck you would put it. You can't just put it anywhere and expect it to work as intended.

It's very tight under the hood of a MINI, the best way to get to your mythical 300hp is with a bigger, better, single turbo and then all the other upgrades that you need too.

IMHO, of course.......

Can't blame you for thinking about it, but a good dose of reality has to be part of the thought process too. Open the hood on your car and have a nose around, then imagine where all that stuff would go, and all the piping, oil drain back tube, larger intercooler, exhaust pipe and so on.....if you're gonna push more air, you also need an intake manifold that can handle the additional pressure and volume. You'll probably need a little lower compression ratio, forged pistons to handle the extra cylinder pressures - for that matter the injectors won't flow enough gasoline either - you may need just a single on demand injector, but I'm thinking you'll need the whole set larger and on and on and on.....the head probably won't flow the extra air either without a considerable amount of work.

Old 11-30-2010 | 02:32 PM
Mini Coupe
|
2nd Gear
Thank you very much for the input... That's all I was asking for from the beginning.

Old 11-30-2010 | 03:02 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Sequential turbo is as I am almost positive in such cars as the 135i, most Supras and Skylines. No Point in the MINI and I hate to say it, its because the motor wouldn't be able to take full advantage because it is too small.

Old 12-01-2010 | 06:49 AM
Mini Coupe
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Sequential turbo is as I am almost positive in such cars as the 135i, most Supras and Skylines. No Point in the MINI and I hate to say it, its because the motor wouldn't be able to take full advantage because it is too small.
Thats very true. Plus I bet our engines can't handle too much boost. I've heard of supras and skylines running 30+ lbs easily..

Old 12-01-2010 | 07:17 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
A friend ran a Corvair Spyder with fifty pounds of boost, water/methanol injection. For bracket racing.

Dave

Old 12-01-2010 | 07:20 AM
czar
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Coupe
Thats very true. Plus I bet our engines can't handle too much boost. I've heard of supras and skylines running 30+ lbs easily..
The N14/B16 engine, will cope with more than you think! What you have to remember is, we have a very high compression ratio 10.5:1 for the Cooper S and 10.0:1 for the JCW.

Most high pressure turbo engines, run a compression ratio around 9.0:1 - 9.5:1 this allows the boost to be set higher, with less chance of detonation due to the lower CR.

If you want to run high boost figures RELIABLY with the N14/B16 engine, then you must allow for this, in your build!!

Old 12-01-2010 | 10:44 AM
wandrur
Closed by OP request