Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain OCC needed on 2011 MCS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smokeysevin
Its about 3 ounces or so of really horrible smelling liquid. There is no oil or thick liquid just this runny orange fuel smelling stuff. I would say it's worth getting just based on the look and smell. I will check again in a week or so.
The car has 11,000 miles on it now (since august) and It has just gotten cold enough to condense anything in the can (Houston) The can has been on since about 2000 miles.

Sean
Sean,

Looks like that N18 OCC is doing its job.

Can you email me a larger image of the collected goo?

-Clint

Old 12-13-2011, 02:27 PM
smokeysevin
2nd Gear
Just sent it to you.

Sean

Old 12-14-2011, 12:35 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Thanks, Sean!

Old 12-14-2011, 01:16 AM
smokeysevin
2nd Gear
No problem. I'll do my best to keep supporting the community, y'all have been very welcoming.

Sean

Old 12-14-2011, 03:53 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Even though it is just a repeat of other guys results, I drained my OCC on my 08 MCS (52k miles) today for the first time. I put it on about 1500 miles ago in mid October. About 2 weeks ago there was about an inch of tan, frothy foam on the stick, I left it. It finally got cold here in Buffalo about 3 weeks ago. I got about 10 ounces out of the can today (it was probably almost full, I will keep a better eye on it). Suprisingly, most of it was clear water for me. There was definately some of the tan foam, as well as a brown, oily film.

I drive about 60 miles a day through suburbs, so I really feel good about doing this change. I am glad to hear that it seems like the N18 reduced the problem some, will be interesting reading as time goes on.

Mike

Old 12-21-2011, 06:06 AM
merlot
2nd Gear
Any updates from the 2011+ owners? My MCS has racked up almost 1700 miles and I'm considering whether to or not to purchase an OCC. I'd rather put those funds toward a summer tire/wheel package for autocrossing.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:22 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by merlot
Any updates from the 2011+ owners? My MCS has racked up almost 1700 miles and I'm considering whether to or not to purchase an OCC. I'd rather put those funds toward a summer tire/wheel package for autocrossing.
read the posts above you. the N18 engines are doing a better job at stopping the build up but not everything is perfect. Stuff is still getting pushed threw so to answer your question. Yes getting this will help you keep motoring, better and longer (thats what she said)

Old 12-29-2011, 10:32 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Achilles honor
read the posts above you. the N18 engines are doing a better job at stopping the build up but not everything is perfect. Stuff is still getting pushed threw so to answer your question. Yes getting this will help you keep motoring, better and longer (thats what she said)
I will be changing the IC next month so I will be able to peek inside it and I will Post the results.

I am open to the idea of an OCC and the BSH (although expensive) seems to be the ticket. It has the hoses and fittings necessary to make the install pretty simple. It also is a size that will fit under that crowded bonnet!!

Old 12-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Aether
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Aether
Bought the BSH for the N18 and returned it due to poor fit and then bought a 42 Draft Designs Can (simpler design, less expensive and simpler/better fit), but haven't bothered permanently mounting it yet, because when I went to do the rough fit, it didn't look like I needed it (yet). I have taken off the stock vent tube to the turbo twice now and it is still clean as a whistle. I took it off most recently last week since I figured that we're now getting into freezing overnight temperatures that now would be the time to start seeing stuff....Nothing. I do 10 mile commutes and take short trips between buildings, so you'd think my car would be a good candidate since it sometimes doesn't get to fully warm up....
Over 3K, still no OCC and the inlet to the turbo is still clean as a whistle. I can run my finger along it and get no residue of any sort on my finger

Attached Thumbnails OCC needed on 2011 MCS?-img_0572.jpg  
Old 01-30-2012, 12:00 PM
jonrizzle
2nd Gear
Bump* Any news on the OCC? I'm getting a 2012 and wondering if I should wait a bit before purchasing the OCC.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:04 AM
JeffInDFW
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone popped off their N18 intake manifold yet to take a look at their valves?

Earlier in the thread, someone posted:
"The N18 motor has direct ports cast into the head from the space under the head cover to the intake ports. They take the place of the PCV hose from the head cover to the throttle body, on the N14 motor. "

Has anyone been able to confirm this? If this is the case, then you clearly can't add a OCC to that. Anyone???

Old 02-28-2012, 07:24 AM
czar
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
I can't be 100% sure, however, here is an image, of a cut away view, of the N18 engine, and as you look at the cylinder head intake runners, you can see, what maybe venting ports! If this is the case, then you can only fit a OCC to the drivers side PCV port, that said, if the PCV still vents, through these internal venting ports, then the N18 engine, will still suffer from carbon build up.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:47 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Czar, you keep coming up with the best answers and support. That picture is awesome and explains a bunch. I have heard for a while that the N18 has 'ports cast into the head' instead of an intake PCV, but could not picture how this would help carbon. Now I can picture them, but agree with your comment that carbon fouling may still occur.

Thanks a bunch,
mike

Old 02-28-2012, 02:20 PM
JeffInDFW
2nd Gear
Exactly. If the PCV system is no longer a rubber hose you can either disconnect or send thru an oil catch can, and is instead a port which is cast into the head then this makes things a much bigger pain. Unless BMW has engineered a working solution (which would be a shocker), then oil residue will have an even shorter path to make it to the valves. Ouch. I need to get in there to take a look at the system and HOPE to find that BMW has solved this problem. We need to find out IF there are indeed ports for crankcase ventilation cast into the head/intake. We need to find out IF those ports are allowing oil mist to cover the inside of the intake ports and the valves.

If it IS.....then I am going to have to look into fabricating a metal plate to cover those ports after coming up with a way to vent to atmosphere. I did this on a previous car to block off something. Unfortunately, my house flooded a few months back and I'm up to my neck in doing all the repairs myself and my garage is FULL of everything I own. If anyone else can pull their intake off a N18 and take a look see, it would be a huge help. Otherwise, it will be a few months before I can get to it.

Last edited by JeffInDFW; 02-28-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:51 PM
masternut
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone had their intake off yet?

Old 05-04-2012, 11:06 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Here's a rather interesting article that I ran across a week or so ago. It seems that engineers are finally starting to get a handle on what I thought was an unavoidable characteristic of direct-injection engines, intake port/valve carbon buildup.

Something I didn't expect: US manufacturers (Ford, GM) had better control over this issue from the beginning.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:08 PM
JeffInDFW
2nd Gear
Fishbert, THANK YOU for posting that article. It shows that we were correct all along, and it isn't just MINI hanging their customers out to dry. So, now we just have to find out if the 2011 update on MINIs DI engine corrected this problem. We won't know until the first person pops their intake. If any MINI mechanics can chime in with what they have seen, that would be awesome. Surely SOMEONE has opened up the new motor?

Old 05-07-2012, 08:35 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Thanks for Posting that article Fishbert! Who would have thought a Ford or GM DI engine would be better than a BMW for reliability.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:32 PM
masternut
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I hate to buy the catch can if not needed

Old 05-07-2012, 01:38 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
It might be less money buying the BMW/MINI tool to clean the ports on a regular basis.

I put the FMIC on @ about 7,500 miles and there was absolutely no oil or soot residue of any kind inside the tubing.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:50 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by smokeysevin
Mine is the bsh can that was purchased through DoS, one important thing with the bsh can is make sure that you get the pushlock fittings tight on the adapters. The connector on the valve cover came loose within a day because it was not totally tight, it was my fault but its worth saying.

Sean
Looks like your BSH is catching gunk! Could you post a photo of where you located it in the engine compartment? Any tips for mounting it, besides getting the hose couplings tight?

Old 06-04-2012, 05:44 AM
GuestFromGermany
1st Gear
Towards solutions for carbon buildup in modern DI engines:
In the new (2012) 1.8 TFSI European engine of Audi (e.g. in the new 2012 Audi a3 (typ 8v) or the Audi A5 Sportback) there is a combination of DI technique and conventional intake-manifold fuel injection (for partial-load operational range). The goal is a lower fuel consumption, but maybe this also helps to reduce the carbon buildup. As far as I know also Lexus uses/plans to use a combination of both injection technologies.

Concerning the new N18 engine: Please take into account that not only the way of the PCV was changed. Furthermore, the N18 engine has now Valvetronic (variable valve lift system) on the intake side and double VANOS (N14: only VANOS at intake side). The exhaust gas recirculation is changed significantly. While in the N14 engine a lot of hot exhaust gases have been sucked back to the back side of the intake valve, in case of the N18 engine less hot exhaust gases will be at this back side. Hence, one additional reason for carbon buildup at the intake valves (the hot exhaust gases) is reduced in case of the N18 engines. Furthermore, the internal PCV immediately to the back side of the intake valves is more straight forward, without long detour with maybe PCV gas condensating in the cold environment of the intake manifold. Maybe the PCV gases get more effectively into the combustion chamber than with the older N14 PCV system.... In Germany, some N18 drivers (who had before the N14) report significantly reduced carbon buildup at the intake valves of their N18 engines in comparison with their older N14 engines.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:32 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Thanks for the explanation!

Old 06-08-2012, 08:22 PM
JeffInDFW
2nd Gear
Guest from Germany, THANK YOU SIR! I have been waiting for over a year for information on this subject. Thank you for taking time to give us this information!!!

Old 06-08-2012, 11:07 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by GuestFromGermany
In Germany, some N18 drivers (who had before the N14) report significantly reduced carbon buildup at the intake valves of their N18 engines in comparison with their older N14 engines.
Still waiting on someone to pull their intake manifold and post pictures after 30k-50k miles before I jump on the "all better with N18" train.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain OCC needed on 2011 MCS?