Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain OCC needed on 2011 MCS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:53 PM
leomulhollandiii
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed an BSH OCC last week and my hot side and cold side pipes. Lemme tell you the mini eats oil for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Every part of the intake had oil in it all the way up to the throttle-body. This weekend i blowing nitrogen through my inter-cooler to get all the oil out Putting a OCC is the best thing you can do to a mini!

Old 05-25-2011, 10:44 PM
rohicks
2nd Gear
Absolutely love the discussion in this thread.
I've subscribed so i can get some updates.

I sent Phil an email asking about the 2011 design. If he replies I'll post it up.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:10 AM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fishbert
The hose connecting the crankcase to the intake manifold (and thus to the combustion chamber) is the primary path for the PCV sytem. The hose from the cold air intake brings fresh air in, helping to make the PCV system more efficient (in the same manner as opening both the front and back door helps clear your house of smoke when the roast in the oven gets burned).

For the short periods of time that the engine is under boost conditions, this normal direction of air flow is reversed, which is why people find oil in their intercoolers. But this condition is secondary (by far) to the normal operating condition of the engine and the PCV system, which (as described above) direct crankcase fumes to the combustion chamber via the crankcase ventilation hose on the passenger side of the vehicle.

-------

DnperDave, I don't intend to get in a big argument in here with you over how the PCV system operates (though I certainly could if you like). Suffice it to say, your claim that the ventilation hose directing crankcase fumes to the combustion chamber "wasn't really needed, as there was already a hose from the valve cover to the turbo intake that already scavenged the oil vapor" is just plain wrong.

What Gil described in his recent post and what I wrote above the line is how the PCV system operates. The hose from the crankcase to the intake manifold is the primary PCV fumes path and is absolutely necessary if the engine is to burn off crankcase fumes (i.e., have a PCV system). The **ONLY** reason this path can be blocked off with (relative) safety by the BSH boost tap is because a catch can is inserted into the other line to collect those vapors instead of burning them. Without a catch can on that line, the crankcase fumes would not still make their way to the intake manifold (as you claim -- which would also lead to the question of how this design would do anything to prevent carbon buildup either), but would collect in the intercooler, its large interior surface area acting as the baffles of a catch can (one with no drain and that negatively impacts intercooler performance).

Exactly!
You are confusing build dates with model years.
The R56 LCI parts on realoem.com are for the 2011 model year R56 MINIs.

2011 model year R56s that were actually built in 2011 are only just now arriving to those who ordered them. If you go today and look at a 2011 in stock at your nearby dealer, it was built in 2010.
Okay fishbert, you got me here to discuss this issue, so lets. First off, I would like to designate the difference between the N18 and N14 engines, as 2011 and 2010-2007 respectfully for reference and not by build date. But for those reading, please double check your build date and know what motor you have when purchasing products; vendors can only help you so much, so know what you have

I've read this thread and see you have yet to post where you have come up with this idea that the N18 motor has a PCV directly from the crankcase to the intake manifold. I would politely ask you to provide me with a part number of such hose and point me to a location on the crankcase where I can see it connected. On the N14, this hose is here

Thank you.

We can follow up on DnperDave's thoughts on what was 'needed' after we have concluded the exact number and routing of the PCV hoses on the N18 motor.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:43 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AZblackOUT
I've read this thread and see you have yet to post where you have come up with this idea that the N18 motor has a PCV directly from the crankcase to the intake manifold.
From the crankcase to the intake ports. And it was here, in post #60:
Originally Posted by DneprDave
I went to My local MINI dealer and talked to the shop foreman. The 2011 MINIs have a different head and valve cover, with 4 passages from the space under the valve cover to the intake ports, one for each port. This is what replaces the hose from the passenger side of the valve cover to the intake manifold. He said that there was a problem with oil pooling at the throttle on the earlier engines.

I'm wondering if BSH has a way of blocking off those ports on their new design.

Dave
Now, wait a minute… is a statement from a MINI shop foreman at all conclusive?
No.

But the likelihood of it being a true account of the N18 design is buttressed by two factors:
  • the new intake manifolds for the N14 engine have a very similar design — there is still a hose connection for compatibility with the existing N14 valve cover, but there is no longer a separate part number for a hose like there used to be, and the crankcase fumes are being routed directly and individually to each port.
  • the whole idea of a modern PCV system (as opposed to the previous-generation of highly polluting open air ventilation down tubes) is to direct crankcase fumes to the combustion chamber so they can be burned off; claiming that such a fundamental path no longer exists needs to be supported by more than "well, I don't see that one hose any more" for it to be believable.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:56 AM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
From the crankcase to the intake ports. And it was here, in post #60:

Now, wait a minute… is a statement from a MINI shop foreman at all conclusive?
No.

But the likelihood of it being a true account of the N18 design is buttressed by two factors:
  • the new intake manifolds for the N14 engine have a very similar design — there is still a hose connection for compatibility with the existing N14 valve cover, but there is no longer a separate part number for a hose like there used to be, and the crankcase fumes are being routed directly and individually to each port.
  • the whole idea of a modern PCV system (as opposed to the previous-generation of highly polluting open air ventilation down tubes) is to direct crankcase fumes to the combustion chamber so they can be burned off; claiming that such a fundamental path no longer exists needs to be supported by more than "well, I don't see that one hose any more" for it to be believable.
Again, where (if this PCV line exists) does it connect to the crankcase. We all know the hose on the N18 that goes from the valve cover to the intake pipe right before the turbo. But you seem to be trolling on this 2nd PCV that connects to individual runners on the IM. PLEASE PROVIDE PROOF. Yes I know about how PCV gasses are rerouted into the system to be burned off, I would like to know what Really makes you think there is a 2nd PCV line on the N18 motor before you fill up this thread with this idea and pass on misinformation to this community. Showing a refreshed Intake Manifold does NOT mean it is a TSB (Tech Service Bulletin) and is being done to every N14/N18 IM being produced. Either way, that individual runner PCV does NOT fix the problem of carbon fouling on the intake valves as my local dealership had an R56 with that 'fix' in for servicing a few months ago. Probably why that IM didnt go into production.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:30 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
You say you understand how a PCV system works, yet you scoff at the notion that there is still a path for crankcase fumes to reach the combustion chamber, accusing people who have the gall to say such things of trolling and spreading misinformation. You appear to understand nothing of how a PCV system works. And as much fun as it might be to try and explain such things to someone so apparently hostile in their ignorance, I think I'll pass.

I'd rather not quote that same post #60 over and over again, so I'll just ask you to re-read the sentence immediately after the bold text... the change was not done to address intake valve carbon buildup, and in fact, the reason given right there is the exact same reason given for the very similar changes made to the N14 intake manifold. Strangely, I do believe I've pointed out this odd coincidence in here before.

I feel like I'm having to hold your hand in going back to read what the thread already says. Believe it or not, I do have better things to do with my time.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:22 AM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
I dont feel I am hostile, infact to the contrary I feel I am giving you a huge benefit of the doubt to prove you hypothesis on the PCV system of the N18 motor. Other than this single post, what are you FACTS? Where does this 2nd PCV on the N18 you so boldly called me out on in the other thread exist? I do believe you are misinformed and hope that it doesn't pass to other members of this community through you. But I gave you the opportunity to prove yourself and you haven't. Instead you've just beat around the bush here in a hope to confuse everyone else.
But fair is fair, if I am wrong, I will gladly edit all my post about this topic to reflect the truth, I just dont want to see others get lost in the confusion. So please PROVE ME WRONG. Either with a P/N or a Picture or a location on the crankcase that the 2nd PCV evacuates from.

Here are mine.

The N14 received facelifts to the intake manifold throughout its lifespan in the R55/R56/R57. NONE of which include this single runner PCV pictured earlier in this thread. That modification was done by a dealership who was guided by engineering in an attempt to fix problems with the old design. It is not a part you can just go buy off the shelf. atleast not at the moment.

The latest refresh of the N14 intake manifold is P/N#11617595078 which happens to be the SAME intake manifold used on the N18
However on the N18, the port used on the N14 to evacuate PCV gases directly into the Intake Manifold is blocked off.

Below is a picture of said Factory Block off from a 2011 Countryman S

So the input is there, but blocked off. I do not see or know where the hose or the output from the crankcase is. Please tell me where if you believe it still exists. Hopefully by now you've come to understand the refresh and that it does not exist.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:25 AM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
SO, to get back on topic. I will be putting a Catch can on my N18's PCV that goes from the valve cover to the intake pipe (pre-turbo), and luckily we do not need to block off the other line this time as it does not exist

Old 05-26-2011, 11:32 AM
rohicks
2nd Gear
I have a 2011 MCS with a build date of 2/2011.

Is there anything y'all need me to look for/get pictures of to confirm or negate anything?

I feel like there is a lot of talk and good discussion, but no one is actually going out to the vehicles to look.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:40 AM
jomama
4th Gear

So the input is there, but blocked off. I do not see or know where the hose or the output from the crankcase is. Please tell me where if you believe it still exists. Hopefully by now you've come to understand the refresh and that it does not exist.
first off, thanks for the picture. i've been too lazy to even go out there and check the intake manifold myself. that block-off seems to me to confirm that the same intake manifold is being used and thus nothing is recirculated through the intake manifold. however, could the n18 have been built with some sort of internal recirculation? no one seems to know the answer to that. but if the pcv has been moved to perform its duty internally, there's nothing we could possibly do about that setup. so that would leave only the tube running from the driver side of the valve cover to the intake tube.
please keep us up to date on which occ you install and how you fit/mount the can on a 2011. thanks!

Old 05-26-2011, 11:43 AM
rohicks
2nd Gear

The block off looks very similar to this http://www.etuners.gr/en/index.php?s=12&t=299

Old 05-26-2011, 11:48 AM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
I will for sure. I looked and looked for these hoses that would come off the individual runners and to no avail. From the look of the pictures that are lurking around this thread, it seems it would port up with the passenger PCV on the N14. Otherwise, I still dont see the other output on the N18 motor. I am open to be proven wrong, but I did my research on this intake manifold and the refreshes that existed. The single runner PCV intake manifold IS NOT A PRODUCTION PART. It is NOT supplied on the car from the factory. It is however a dealer fix, authorized by the Engineering department to fix oil pooling. But it never made its way to become a Tech Service Bulletin or a full fledged fix for carbon fouling. The current dealer fix for carbon fouling is still to pull off the head and walnut shell it.

So yes, I dont want to see it happen to my car or anyone else, hence why I am too waiting on the 2011 BSH Catch Can. Please contact your parts supplier as well (Way, DetroitTuned, CustomMINIShop) whoever it might be and ask them for it. They'll know of its progress.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:02 PM
jomama
4th Gear
bsh is well aware that there are a few of us anxiously waiting for a 2011 application of the occ. i exchanged a couple of emails with justin from bsh. he had mentioned that it was just a matter of putting it into production. this was back in late april. i just don't think the demand is high enough right now for them to care. so i'm basically waiting for someone to definitively say here's an occ that fits the 2011. but i still don't know what the issue is? just make fitting that attach to the 2011 cars...that's about all. well, i'll likely buy from whoever hits the market first. i wanna get one on the car before i install the fmic.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 PM
rohicks
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jomama
bsh is well aware that there are a few of us anxiously waiting for a 2011 application of the occ. i exchanged a couple of emails with justin from bsh. he had mentioned that it was just a matter of putting it into production. this was back in late april. i just don't think the demand is high enough right now for them to care. so i'm basically waiting for someone to definitively say here's an occ that fits the 2011. but i still don't know what the issue is? just make fitting that attach to the 2011 cars...that's about all. well, i'll likely buy from whoever hits the market first. i wanna get one on the car before i install the fmic.
I second that; I've sent an email to Phil (linked in this thread) and the nearest local BSH retailer in my area.

Also what would be the issue with just fitting a regular CC to the car since all it needs is the driver's side; correct? It would benefit with having one regardless? And the fittings should be the same as the n14?

Last edited by rohicks; 05-26-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:07 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
The cylinder head covers have different part numbers.

2010 N14 cylinder head cover - 11127585907
2011 N18 cylinder head cover - 1112760339

I was at my MINI dealer Monday and again spoke with the shop foreman.

He said that the PCV valve is integral with the cylinder head cover on both N14 and N18 engines, there is an orifice at the top of the cover that connects to a gallery. On the N14 engine this gallery connects to the two PVC hoses. On the N18 engine it connects to the left side hose that connects to the turbocharger inlet and to four smaller lines that lead to ports in the head that go to the intake ports on the head.

On the Real OEM site the page for the N18 Cylinder head gasket set contents it shows some "gasket rings" in sets of four, one is part # 07119963151 the other is 07119963201. These aren't shown On the N14 head cover page. They are most likely the gaskets that seal the ports in the cylinder head to the gallery on the cylinder head cover.

On the N18 engine, an oil catch can is still a good idea, just because it will keep oil out of the intercooler, it won't help reduce carbon build up on the intake valves though.

Dave

Old 05-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He said that the PCV valve is integral with the cylinder head cover on both N14 and N18 engines, there is an orifice at the top of the cover that connects to a gallery. On the N14 engine this gallery connects to the two PVC hoses. On the N18 engine it connects to the left side hose that connects to the turbocharger inlet and to four smaller lines that lead to ports in the head that go to the intake ports on the head.

On the Real OEM site the page for the N18 Cylinder head gasket set contents it shows some "gasket rings" in sets of four, one is part # 07119963151 the other is 07119963201. These aren't shown On the N14 head cover page. They are most likely the gaskets that seal the ports in the cylinder head to the gallery on the cylinder head cover.

On the N18 engine, an oil catch can is still a good idea, just because it will keep oil out of the intercooler, it won't help reduce carbon build up on the intake valves though.

Dave
Definitely some design differences; thanks for the research and effort.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around your description and reconcile it with the pressure differentials under boost conditions. If, as you state, there is free communication between the head cover gallery and the intake ports via these "four smaller lines" wouldn't the turbo be pressurizing this gallery, the space under the head cover, and the line back to the turbocharger inlet when there's boost pressure present? It all seems to be freely and openly connected together if I'm correctly understanding your description.

I'm not challenging your veracity, just trying to understand it all based on physical first principles.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:34 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
But remember, there is a PCV valve in the head cover, it allows flow from the space under the head cover to the engine's intake but not the other way. The PCV valve prevents the turbocharger from pressurizing the crankcase.

The left side PVC line goes to the turbocharger inlet, where it is drawing a small vacuum on the engine's crankcase. The engine is also pulling air through the turbocharger, even when the turbo is not doing any useful work, so there would always be a flow out of the engine out of the left side hose.

Dave

Last edited by DneprDave; 05-26-2011 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Clairification
Old 05-26-2011, 05:20 PM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear

Dave

Maybe I need someone to hold my hand through this, but I just don't see it and it doesnt make sense. So does this gallery have a check valve? It must otherwise if what you say is true, there is an open port from the Intake Manifold through the head and into your valve cover? What happens under boost? Either way, those part numbers you gave do not coincide to an exact part we can depict on the pictures from RealOEM, therefore I have ordered an N18 valve cover to my dealership so I can take pictures and get back to you. In a mythbusting way, I will leave this to plausable until I can provide the proof to bust this arguement It'll take sometime as there are no N18 valve covers located in the US Last part I ordered for my CM from Germany took 2 weeks

Atleast we know there is no 2nd PCV hose from the crankcase to the intake manifold on the N18

Old 05-26-2011, 05:29 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Atleast we know there is no 2nd PCV hose from the crankcase to the intake manifold on the N18
i think the one sure fire way for us to figure out what the heck is going on is if one of us removes the intake manifold from the block and inspect the manifold itself and the inlet into the block. if there is any recirculation of crankcase fumes back into the engine, it should be noticeable. it would either have to be recirculated thru the intake manifold (which i believe we have pretty much dismissed as not probable) or it would have to enter b/w where the intake manifold is attached and the valves. i'm not sure how easy/tough of a job this would be, but it would give us a pretty definitive answer.
btw, azblackout, do you plan on keeping the valve cover you ordered? and did you order it strictly for the purpose of this "investigation"? if so, that's some dedication!

Old 05-26-2011, 05:39 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear

Maybe I need someone to hold my hand through this, but I just don't see it and it doesnt make sense. So does this gallery have a check valve? It must otherwise if what you say is true, there is an open port from the Intake Manifold through the head and into your valve cover? What happens under boost? Either way, those part numbers you gave do not coincide to an exact part we can depict on the pictures from RealOEM, therefore I have ordered an N18 valve cover to my dealership so I can take pictures and get back to you. In a mythbusting way, I will leave this to plausable until I can provide the proof to bust this arguement It'll take sometime as there are no N18 valve covers located in the US Last part I ordered for my CM from Germany took 2 weeks

Wow, that's really good of you to do that! I'll look forward to the photos! Those Real OEM pictures arent that clear.

I was told that the PCV valve is part of the head cover and is not available as separate part. It prevents the turbocharger from pressurizing the gallery and the crankcase.

Dave

Old 05-26-2011, 06:08 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
That modification was done by a dealership who was guided by engineering in an attempt to fix problems with the old design. It is not a part you can just go buy off the shelf. atleast not at the moment.
It absolutely is available off the shelf direct from MINI, and its part number is 11-61-4-584-240. In fact, you can get it from MINI North Scottsdale (I assume from your username you're in Arizona) for $410.27 after tax... at least that's what they tell me over the phone.

You seem to have a habit of pulling half-truths and speculation together and trying to run with them as if they were absolute facts. And I'm finding it pointless to try and sort it out with you, as my responses to your claims/assertions keep consisting of pointing back to things that have already been posted (by myself or others).

I don't feel the need to prove anything to you about any of this, as I have already presented logical reasoning and supporting evidence that would lead a rational person to the conclusion that what DnperDave was told by his MINI dealership is most likely accurate... while your argument this whole time has consisted of nothing more than "Bah! I know this path is completely blocked off now because I don't see this one hose anymore!"

Old 05-26-2011, 06:17 PM
jomama
4th Gear
"Bah! I know this path is completely blocked off now because I don't see this one hose anymore!"
our skepticism is not based solely on your above stmt. it just doesn't make sense for them to internalize the pcv. if there's an internal valve and it fails, how do you fix it? if there isn't a valve, how does the pressure get excavated? i'm pretty neutral on this argument (altho i have a 2011 and hope that there isn't an internal pcv), and i can't come to a satisfactory conclusion. but i do appreciate everyone's help in getting us to a definitive one.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:34 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jomama
our skepticism is not based solely on your above stmt. it just doesn't make sense for them to internalize the pcv. if there's an internal valve and it fails, how do you fix it? if there isn't a valve, how does the pressure get excavated?
The question isn't about an internal PCV valve (the valve cover has had this for years), the question is about the routing beyond that valve to the combustion chamber.

In the N14, this routing is external to the valve cover and cylinder head via a separate hose to the intake manifold. (which AZblackOUT has been so fixated on)

In the N18, the most convincing story is that this routing is internal to the valve cover and cylinder head -- in a similar manner (but not exactly the same as) the recently revised intake manifold for the N14. This is what DneprDave was told in early March, what he sought confirmation of a few posts back, and what makes the most sense given a basic understanding of how modern PCV systems function.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:46 PM
jomama
4th Gear
In the N18, the most convincing story is that this routing is internal to the valve cover and cylinder head -- in a similar manner (but not exactly the same as) the recently revised intake manifold for the N14. This is what DneprDave was told in early March, what he sought confirmation of a few posts back, and what makes the most sense given a basic understanding of how modern PCV systems function.
so it has been internalized, but no pcv exists? is that how you understand it? if that's the case, how do you keep pressure out of the crankcase when the car's under boost? if, on the other hand, it does have an internal pcv, what do you do when the pcv fails? take apart the engine to replace a $10-20 part? something just doesn't sound right here.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:31 PM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
It absolutely is available off the shelf direct from MINI, and its part number is 11-61-4-584-240. In fact, you can get it from MINI North Scottsdale (I assume from your username you're in Arizona) for $410.27 after tax... at least that's what they tell me over the phone.

You seem to have a habit of pulling half-truths and speculation together and trying to run with them as if they were absolute facts. And I'm finding it pointless to try and sort it out with you, as my responses to your claims/assertions keep consisting of pointing back to things that have already been posted (by myself or others).

I don't feel the need to prove anything to you about any of this, as I have already presented logical reasoning and supporting evidence that would lead a rational person to the conclusion that what DnperDave was told by his MINI dealership is most likely accurate... while your argument this whole time has consisted of nothing more than "Bah! I know this path is completely blocked off now because I don't see this one hose anymore!"
Yeah, seems this is going nowhere so I can agree to disagree. Again I said I was open-minded to this internal path on the N18, but you were NOT clear on that and have changed your story many times.

Interesting that you've found this P/N for this Intake Manifold, thank you. Where does it connect to? Internal to the valve cover somewhere? Looks to me to be the same plug as the passenger PCV and is just a simple relocation of where the PCV gases are vented in the Intake Manifold. You said this was to fix oil pooling, and was not for carbon fouling? Either way, thank you for showing us this.

I'd appreciate if you do decide to reply, to attempt to be civil and respectful. Thank you in advance.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain OCC needed on 2011 MCS?