Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain OCC needed on 2011 MCS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Charlie Victor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OCC needed on 2011 MCS?

I anticipate taking delivery of my 2011 R55 later this month, and am planning my first mods. Reading the threads here it sounds like the 2010 and earlier MCS benefit from the addition of an OCC (or two) in the PCV system. I've heard the PCV on the 2011s is different, so has anyone done an OCC on a 2011 MCS yet? Does the 2011 still need an OCC?

Thanks!

Old 12-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Where did you hear it was different? It is the same motor except it has Valvetronic. Get one its fine.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:05 PM
NAProf
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The crankcase ventilation system is different!

Porthos,
I heard it was different so I checked Real-OEM and sure enough it seems the vent from the passengers side of the valve cover to the intake manifold is gone. At least it is missing in all of the photos and drawings. So I went to my local dealer and popped the hood of a 2011 MCS and felt around. The valve cover end isn't there, but some hose is attached to the location on the intake manifold where the old hose led. I had my hand down there and was trying to feel my way along, but it is too crowded. I wanted to whip out my tool set and remove the stock airbox, but I don't think the Mini of Annapolis folks would have appreciated that in their showroom.

I am interested in this because my understanding of PCV systems is that they need a "metered air" source and a recirculation exit. The BSH approach removes the recirculation exit and conversts the metered air source to and exit/source. I want to figure out if that is what the BMW engineers did on this engine. Or, did they meerly move the location of the crankcase end of the exit? Further investigation to follow.

Cheers,
Greg

Old 12-10-2010, 03:22 PM
MCSonMymind
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm once again thinking of picking up a 2011 MCS right off the dealer's lot so I'm reading up about all the potential problems. I'm looking forward to your findings, Greg (NAProf).

Old 12-11-2010, 09:22 AM
EtherealPanMan
1st Gear
I have a 2011 MCS with the Dos intake installed, so I could take a look for you all... Problem is I have NO idea what I am looking for... If you are very explicit with what I should look for, I would love to help!

Cheers!

Ryan

Old 12-11-2010, 10:38 AM
NAProf
2nd Gear
Ryan,

Here is the diagram for the pre-refresh turbo-charged engine from real-oem.

Item 1 in the figure is a plastic hose with a heat resistant covering that connects the intake manifold and the cankcase as part of the PCV system. It runs under the intake manifold connections to the cylinder head so it is hard to see the connection at the low end.

I noted on the 2011 engine there is not a similar part listed and nothing is connected to the top of the passengers side of the valve cover. But, on checking I could feel something connected to the intake manifold where this hose would go. It felt like the same kind of plastic with a heat-resistant covering, but I couldn't see where it went.

If you could stick a mirror down there you could probably see what I am talking about. The question is "Does a hose connect there that is coming from somewhere else on the crankcase (as a vent), or is it simply capped off (or not there)?"

I hope this sheds some light on the question. If there is no hose, then the only PCV line is going from the driver's side of the valve cover (the small hole shown on the figure above) to the turbo inlet. It would then probably be a good idea to put a catch can in that line to keep oil vapor out of the intercooler.

Cheers,
Greg

Last edited by NAProf; 12-11-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-11-2010, 10:37 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by NAProf
Ryan,

Here is the diagram for the pre-refresh turbo-charged engine from real-oem.

Item 1 in the figure is a plastic hose with a heat resistant covering that connects the intake manifold and the cankcase as part of the PCV system. It runs under the intake manifold connections to the cylinder head so it is hard to see the connection at the low end.

I noted on the 2011 engine there is not a similar part listed and nothing is connected to the top of the passengers side of the valve cover. But, on checking I could feel something connected to the intake manifold where this hose would go. It felt like the same kind of plastic with a heat-resistant covering, but I couldn't see where it went.

If you could stick a mirror down there you could probably see what I am talking about. The question is "Does a hose connect there that is coming from somewhere else on the crankcase (as a vent), or is it simply capped off (or not there)?"

I hope this sheds some light on the question. If there is no hose, then the only PCV line is going from the driver's side of the valve cover (the small hole shown on the figure above) to the turbo inlet. It would then probably be a good idea to put a catch can in that line to keep oil vapor out of the intercooler.

Cheers,
Greg
if he doesn't get to it, i'll be at a dealer this coming tuesday, i can poke around and they wont' mind me doing so at MINI of the Main Line... i'll also try and get some pics of it as well to help aid visual ideas of what we're looking for...

Old 12-12-2010, 10:36 AM
EtherealPanMan
1st Gear
The weather has been terrible this weekend. Sorry. Hopefully, I can get out there and really explore soon. Just looking quickly, I did not see nor feel the tube in the picture.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Charlie Victor, greetings from Tango Golf at SAV!!! I should be picking up my CR 2011 R56S just before Xmas.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:35 AM
Charlie Victor
4th Gear
Thanks - My Clubman S is due into port in another couple of days, so hopefully it'll be here about the same time as yours!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What tower/TRACON do you work at?

Old 12-13-2010, 10:50 AM
cesar418
3rd Gear
Im interested to know as well, i just got mine last week and i want an oil catch can to be one of my first mods

Old 12-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Charlie Victor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell
What tower/TRACON do you work at?
LAX tower; before that MEM, MSY, and MLU.

Ha ha ha! I'm hijacking my own thread!

Old 12-18-2010, 01:19 PM
EtherealPanMan
1st Gear
Sorry for taking so long! Weather has been crappy and I work M-F until after dark.

Well, I looked and looked and I could not see nor feel that hose. I do not have a mirror, so I cannot say it isn't there with 100% confidence.

Cheers!
Ryan

Old 12-21-2010, 03:22 AM
MCSonMymind
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cesar418
Im interested to know as well, i just got mine last week and i want an oil catch can to be one of my first mods
Have you installed a OCC on your 2011 yet? If so, what kind did you get and how did it work out with the new PCV configuration? Thanks!

Old 12-22-2010, 02:58 PM
NAProf
2nd Gear
Have a definative answer!

Originally Posted by Charlie Victor
I anticipate taking delivery of my 2011 R55 later this month, and am planning my first mods. Reading the threads here it sounds like the 2010 and earlier MCS benefit from the addition of an OCC (or two) in the PCV system. I've heard the PCV on the 2011s is different, so has anyone done an OCC on a 2011 MCS yet? Does the 2011 still need an OCC?

Thanks!
OK Guys,
I was at my dealer today and talked to my MA (Sean, a really good kid). I took him to a 2010 and showed him the PCV system, then took him to a 2011 and showed him the visible changes. I asked if he would talk to the Head Mini tech and find out if BMW just deleted the passangers side line of the PCV system on the 2011 or if they simple chose a new route. Sean just called and said that the Head Tech said that BMW deleted the passanger side line completely and that his advice is to install a catch can on the one existing line. He also said that he has a 2008 and he put in the BSH catch can and dual boost tap port (the thing that blocks the passangers side line).

So the correct answer is - Go with the BSH way of routing the catch can!

Cheers,
Greg

Old 12-22-2010, 03:25 PM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
NAProf, thanks for investigating this. You are a credit to yourself and the NAM community.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
To add another perspective, I recently saw the following in an email from the President of BSH Speed Shop regarding their OCC and the revised PCV configuration on the '11 MCS:

"
We have plans to get a car in the shop the early part of 2011, at this time we are operating under the impression that a completely new hardware kit will need to be developed. We will be sure to update our dealers with our findings so they can tell the world."

Theirs may be an overly-conservative impression (not sure what would necessarily change from the existing BSH OCC design) but I thought I'd pass this along for everyone's benefit.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:34 PM
MCSonMymind
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NAProf
OK Guys,
I was at my dealer today and talked to my MA (Sean, a really good kid). I took him to a 2010 and showed him the PCV system, then took him to a 2011 and showed him the visible changes. I asked if he would talk to the Head Mini tech and find out if BMW just deleted the passangers side line of the PCV system on the 2011 or if they simple chose a new route. Sean just called and said that the Head Tech said that BMW deleted the passanger side line completely and that his advice is to install a catch can on the one existing line. He also said that he has a 2008 and he put in the BSH catch can and dual boost tap port (the thing that blocks the passangers side line).

So the correct answer is - Go with the BSH way of routing the catch can!

Cheers,
Greg
Thanks for all this great information, Greg! Now I wonder if BSH will come up with something new or just determine that the existing OCC will still be good to go for the 2011's.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:10 AM
cesar418
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MCSonMymind
Thanks for all this great information, Greg! Now I wonder if BSH will come up with something new or just determine that the existing OCC will still be good to go for the 2011's.
i wonder the same thing!

Old 12-23-2010, 07:37 AM
tvanhouten
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When someone receives addtional information on a BSH catch can that will properly fit a 2011 MCS, please let the rest of us know (send a web link where to buy).

Also, if you end up installing one, please post pics / lessons learned during the install.

tvanhouten

Old 12-31-2010, 03:24 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Im guna try to install my bsh cc on my 2011 MCS. The only thing I seeis that the hose from the manifold is coming off facing the front of the car rather than to the right facing the wheel.
see it on the left next to the little bit of snow that came through my hood scoop lol.
Name:  mafsensor.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  48.0 KB

Old 01-04-2011, 08:16 AM
cesar418
3rd Gear
any news?

Old 01-04-2011, 10:30 AM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A bit cold out and I havent gotten a chance to try the install, maybe when I get out of work. I bought another length of hose so I can possibly mount it in another location.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:13 PM
BigMiniAl
Former Vendor
Spoke to Mini tech...

I spoke to a Mini tech that I know to be very good and asked his thoughts on an OCC for my 2011 JCW. He told me not to do it because the cars that he has worked on with them installed have had problems arise with moisture in other parts of the engine. The guy is very trustworthy and works on these cars everyday and his recommendation was to go without an OCC. I plan on using this as my daily driver for at least the next 4-5 years and would like to do whatever I can to preserve the life of the engine. Has anybody else heard of this and can I get some second opinions?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain OCC needed on 2011 MCS?