Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Oil Catch Cans: BSH vs. M7?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010 | 05:16 PM
oldcracker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
We have really liked the BSH catch can, the baffle in the can makes the can collect oil much better, and fitting for the hoses are top notch. I keep them in stock cause we use them on customer cars all the time.
alright order placed! #1885!

Thanks Way!

Old 01-03-2011 | 03:25 PM
Trex1200r
2nd Gear
Just installed the BSH OCC on my 2010 MCS a week ago. I only have about 2K miles on the car, but was surprised that there was zero oil residue in the PVC intercooler side hose connection. Litterally would have passed for a brand new hose. Thought I would see some sludge or something inside that. I guess the good news is I shouldn't have any buildup in the intercooler yet, but makes me question whether the part was really necessary. I guess bettter safe than sorry.

There wasn't much of anything on the boost tap side either.

Other comments are the holes on the bracket didn't line up with the holes in the catch can. Just one hole at a time would line up, not both, so just installed it with one bolt holding the can to the bracket. Called and emailed a photo to Justin at BSH, but I never got a response.

Also, kind of lame that they don't include instructions, or at least a piece of paper that points you to the link on their website with the install help. Not that the install is hard, but you definately need some guidance.

Nice clean install and looks nice. Pretty cold here in colorado at the moment, so will be interesting to see what it collects.

TREX

Old 01-03-2011 | 09:05 PM
Maugre
5th Gear
Hi Trex, just be patient, you will get some gunk in there soon enough, and then you will probably end up checking it every other week. A. not because you want to, but because B. you will want to . Good luck.

Old 03-04-2011 | 03:44 PM
koitus
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by VMCMDN
noob question: does installing a catch can void the warranty?
I asked my SA the same thing. He called one of the mechanics, who said he wished all his customers would have one installed. I'm sure if it was installed incorrectly or failed and it caused some related problem in the engine, they would deny the claim, but in general it seems like this is a mod they actually like people to make.

BTW, ordered, finally. Order #2281. Thanks Way!

Old 03-04-2011 | 05:36 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by koitus
Originally Posted by VMCMDN
noob question: does installing a catch can void the warranty?
I asked my SA the same thing. He called one of the mechanics, who said he wished all his customers would have one installed. I'm sure if it was installed incorrectly or failed and it caused some related problem in the engine, they would deny the claim, but in general it seems like this is a mod they actually like people to make.
I'd caution not to mistake a service technician's opinion as an official position from MINI.

As for warranty coverage, though... it's a matter of federal law (in the U.S., anyway) that warranty work cannot be declined simply due to the presence of an aftermarket part unless the part is somehow related to the failure.

Old 05-10-2011 | 09:23 AM
gjn25
3rd Gear
check this out Link

Old 05-10-2011 | 10:17 AM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by koitus
...the warning that it's designed for people who have an aftermarket intake on the M7 is a little daunting...
someone correct me if i'm wrong, but the reason why the m7 has this "warning" is b/c the m7 occ mounts behind the driver's side headlight where a tube runs to the stock intake box. i'm gonna guess that that tube is in the way of the mounting position. that being said, the overwhelming opinion suggests that the bsh occ is the better of the two.