Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Standalone ECU

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011 | 09:30 AM
chakraj
5th Gear
You may want to stay with the stock pipe, your HP numbers are some of the highest I have seen. I just swapped mine out back to stock to see how I like it.

Old 02-04-2011 | 09:39 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Freeing up exhaust pathways from the turbo back will only give you power in FI applications. Swapping them out will give you power, it will also shift your power and toque curves around. The only thing with the mini is that as of now the ap is the only tool that will disable the light for the coed you will get. I wonder if it just disables the light like my utec unit would do or if it actually disables the ability to throw the code...

Originally Posted by chakraj
You may want to stay with the stock pipe, your HP numbers are some of the highest I have seen. I just swapped mine out back to stock to see how I like it.

Old 02-04-2011 | 09:49 AM
chakraj
5th Gear
Sorry Bigprfred, I am not following? You are saying you will see improvement from an aftermarket DP? I agree it will move around the TCurve.

I was just noticing that Mellanors HP numbers in his sig are the highest I have seen and he has a stock dp??

I wish I had the cash to do back to back Dyno runs and swap them out and see for real....

Old 02-04-2011 | 09:54 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
As long as it has increased flow characteristics you will see an increase. So say you go catless, you will see an increase but you will get a code unless you have the AP to disable it.

Sorry Bigprfred, I am not following? You are saying you will see improvement from an aftermarket DP? I agree it will move around the TCurve.

I was just noticing that Mellanors HP numbers in his sig are the highest I have seen and he has a stock dp??

I wish I had the cash to do back to back Dyno runs and swap them out and see for real....

Last edited by Bigprfed22; 02-04-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-04-2011 | 12:25 PM
ThePenl
|
3rd Gear
What was the subject of this thread again?

Old 02-04-2011 | 12:48 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
There are no stand alones as of now. When one does come out it will also be hella expensive because the ecu controls a lot more than the engine, it is not the basic "ecu to engine" and "periphrals are independent". stand alone would give a more in depth tuning ability, but remapping is very efficient in itself so your not going to be that much further ahead then remapping. $$$ is what it takes

Old 02-04-2011 | 01:15 PM
ThePenl
|
3rd Gear
$$$ is what it takes. For sure.
Ok I am convinced that it does not worth the extra money, for now.

What exactly do you mean Bigprfed22 when you say that the ECU controls a lot more than the engine?

I thought that an ECU (electronic control unit) receives electrical signals from various sensors (crank,camshaft,knock,air temp,boost,oil temp,egt,lamda, and several others) and interpretes all the data and decides the required ignition and fuel that the engine needs.

If I am wrong, please someone correct me.

Old 02-04-2011 | 01:49 PM
mellanor
2nd Gear

What I really want to do is the turbo upgrade with downpipe so I can push 265HP At that point we'll see how much abuse my automatic will take...

[fade away to gypsy fortune teller gazing into her crystal ball: "I see a new transmission in your future, and an empty bank account, but many happy grins"]

The following users liked this post:
Ray167 (03-29-2020)
Old 02-04-2011 | 01:50 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
It does but for example...

In an oldschool system the engine fan would have a relay to control activation of the fan from current coming from a temp sensor.

Mini/BMW system

The ecu controls this(feeding current directly), thus eliminating the use of relays. A stand alone would have to be able to replicate this or you would have a christmas tree of error lights on your dash.

It will be interesting to see what is come up with in the dept. of a stand alone, but right now the market is not big enough to warrant it. When you can get almost the same results in a remap whats the point?

A piggy back would be the most adaptable to this system but attempts have failed...

Originally Posted by ThePenl
$$$ is what it takes. For sure.
Ok I am convinced that it does not worth the extra money, for now.

What exactly do you mean Bigprfed22 when you say that the ECU controls a lot more than the engine?

I thought that an ECU (electronic control unit) receives electrical signals from various sensors (crank,camshaft,knock,air temp,boost,oil temp,egt,lamda, and several others) and interpretes all the data and decides the required ignition and fuel that the engine needs.

If I am wrong, please someone correct me.

Just came to mind but another good example is here in the states we experience all different temps especially where im located. The ECU will make changes to your engine map based off readings off of the temp sensor behind the front bumper. Its a very sensative system.

ps: in mykanos dont go to super paradise beach lol

Last edited by Bigprfed22; 02-04-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-04-2011 | 02:05 PM
ThePenl
|
3rd Gear
Ok,I see.

What can you do? Technology has moved forward and everything is more complicated nowdays.
That said, maybe I am a little bit nostalgic.
Anyway, as you said the results are already very good when mapping the Mini ECU, so let's stick with that for now.

Old 02-04-2011 | 02:07 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
I am with you, old school is a lot easier to manipulate

Ok,I see.

What can you do? Technology has moved forward and everything is more complicated nowdays.
That said, maybe I am a little bit nostalgic.
Anyway, as you said the results are already very good when mapping the Mini ECU, so let's stick with that for now.

Old 02-04-2011 | 02:09 PM
ThePenl
|
3rd Gear
Mykonos? Super paradise?
This place is dangerous man!
Do not ever go with your Mini there...the ladies will be offended...

Old 02-04-2011 | 03:39 PM
dsc201knoc
2nd Gear
Ok maybe you misunderstood me.. Piggyback stand alone.. Don't really care I just want a quality product. Ram air is not the selling point, the cool air is a selling point for me.

You can feel how you want about a product line, M7 caught me.. If it's not good I will buy another product, too easy. This is my 12th car in the last 2 years. Why does anyone care what products I have chosen?

My goal is 300whp.. It's been about two weeks. Let's see where this goes, doing the anthracite headliner next week, getting tinted right now.

Calling Dez at ABF when I get done with my tint.

Old 02-04-2011 | 04:33 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Ok, maybe you didnt understand me. I said i wasn't bashing your intake or the m7 brand. I was making a general statement about bolt ons and turbo cars. Plain and simple, other than downpipe, exhaust and intercooler no other bolt on will be giving you power.

to answer your question.

There is no quality piggyback ecu.

If your that much of a baller you will have no problem replacing the 12k engine, and actually buying your helix intercooler when you can put a little more on top of your deposit MR baller.

Old 02-04-2011 | 04:44 PM
dsc201knoc
2nd Gear
Are you really hating right now? For what? The idea for this post is to find a great software upgrade for the cars we own, not just for me.

The deposit for the Helix FMIC is because of the group buy. Jumped on the bandwagon because they needed a 20th deposit. Being part of the team..

Not saying I'm a baller, but I am not new to performance vehicles. I enjoy cars.. I am excited about this car and I wanted one of the classics when I was living in Italy but never jumped on the opportunity.

Let us not argue about something we both enjoy. I told you my personal experience with a company, you told me yours. Nothing wrong with that. We can love the same thing and disagree on the way we enjoy our vehicle.

Old 02-04-2011 | 04:47 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
Unichip is a piggy back option, I wouldnt do it again, but its an option.

Old 02-04-2011 | 04:50 PM
dsc201knoc
2nd Gear
I heard that a few times now, What do you run now?

Old 02-04-2011 | 04:54 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
RMW dyno tune, with Dimsport remote tool. (dyno tune in person of course)

Old 02-04-2011 | 06:16 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
@ This thread....

Let us know how that goes....
You got both of those right. But hey, let the new guys try all these neat idea and legit products... Maybe they'll be able to think of something Jan or Alta hasn't ....

Originally Posted by czar
You need to come to Europe!
300hp? post a dyno.

Originally Posted by dsc201knoc
My goal is 300whp..
(hope you like disappointment)

Pouring jet fuel into your gas tank is an option too and only slightly more crazy.

Old 02-05-2011 | 03:05 AM
ThePenl
|
3rd Gear
I like your sarcasm. Especially when it is targeted. (new guys?)
In order to see 300hp dyno you really should come to Europe as Czar suggests.
I am just an old dog trying to learn new tricks...

Regards,

Themis

Old 02-05-2011 | 05:43 AM
dsc201knoc
2nd Gear
I love a good challenge, haters are going to hate.. It's their job.

I already spoke with Alta and I understand the limitations right now. 260whp seems to be the limit with the new OEM Turbo rebuild they will be offering. Sensor issues so on and so forth. It is crazy to think the pessimistic thought of some people will prevent people from reaching great heights.

And ThePeni just to say, last time I went to Greece it was awesome. Kefalonia was extremely nice place to get away to for 3 weeks. Europe is a extreme motivator for me, I have seen some of these impossibilities become possible there. 1000hp e36 M3.... Where is the fastest x6m not in the states.

I have faith and confidence that the MCS is in fact a BMW, which means there is a whole lot of hp hidden in the vehicle. A lot of people push the warranty card.. How many of you guys go down to the dealership and bull ***** with the techs and salesmen? You know that a bottle of alcohol on the passanger seat for you maintenance team really keeps the ball rolling. Life is about relationships, and just because you have had your car for 3 years and have accepted the fact that you are stuck at a hp rating doesn't mean you shouldn't be excited that someone wants to take it to the next level.

I want to be reasonable with allotted time. So I am thinking next December to early 2012 is when Project:King Leonidus will return with 300.. The games have already begun.

Old 02-05-2011 | 07:34 AM
ThePenl
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dsc201knoc
I love a good challenge, haters are going to hate.. It's their job.

I already spoke with Alta and I understand the limitations right now. 260whp seems to be the limit with the new OEM Turbo rebuild they will be offering. Sensor issues so on and so forth. It is crazy to think the pessimistic thought of some people will prevent people from reaching great heights.

And ThePeni just to say, last time I went to Greece it was awesome. Kefalonia was extremely nice place to get away to for 3 weeks. Europe is a extreme motivator for me, I have seen some of these impossibilities become possible there. 1000hp e36 M3.... Where is the fastest x6m not in the states.

I have faith and confidence that the MCS is in fact a BMW, which means there is a whole lot of hp hidden in the vehicle. A lot of people push the warranty card.. How many of you guys go down to the dealership and bull ***** with the techs and salesmen? You know that a bottle of alcohol on the passanger seat for you maintenance team really keeps the ball rolling. Life is about relationships, and just because you have had your car for 3 years and have accepted the fact that you are stuck at a hp rating doesn't mean you shouldn't be excited that someone wants to take it to the next level.

I want to be reasonable with allotted time. So I am thinking next December to early 2012 is when Project:King Leonidus will return with 300.. The games have already begun.
Nice post.
I agree 99% with you. 1% is for spelling wrong the name of one of the Greatest Greek warriors of all time.
The name is LEONIDAS and of course the 300...of the finest, strongest with great big b$lls fellow warriors. They faught at the very famous Battle_of_Thermopylae for the freedom of their people against the Persian army.
They were winning, but after the second day of battle, a local resident named Ephialtes (which in Greek means nightmare!) betrayed the Greeks by revealing a small path that led behind the Greek lines. And so, all of them were killed at the third day of the battle because they were vastly outnumbered by the Persian army (history says they were around 100.000 to 300.000).
Sorry if I was carried away but I am proud of what I am, and I will stand for what I say. I will not give up my fight-goal because there are difficulties along the way. For me, it is all about whether you stand for what you believe.
However, LEONIDAS dies at the end, but he probably would not have died if he stayed away from Ephialtes (he was sooo wrong trusting him!)

Having said all of the above, I will trust the one that wins my respect. There are people that have great experience on motor engineering and are working at the moment to achieve far greater things than we all think.
Keep the passion alive and keep motoring...

Regards,

Themis

Ps: Kefalonia is really nice. As I can recall my memory, I have been myself there, 15 years ago. There are also a 1000 more islands in Greece which are as nice or even nicer.

Old 02-05-2011 | 08:26 AM
evilstitch626
1st Gear
whew what a thread. good read!!! i am waitin to get my jcw mini tuned and cant wait!!

Old 02-05-2011 | 09:23 AM
ThePenl
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by evilstitch626
whew what a thread. good read!!! i am waitin to get my jcw mini tuned and cant wait!!
Thanks. What tune are you getting?
Wish all the best.

Old 02-05-2011 | 09:28 AM
evilstitch626
1st Gear
well as far as I know i think i am getting the Alta tune but see my mechanic who knows a very well tuner, i think his name is Seth but anyway see the story is well my mechanic his tuner guy had a customer that lives in Germany. and the customer wanted seth the tuner guy to come to Germany, but he couldnt so the customer had his 6 corvettes shipped by air to DFW, and he tuned them and then sent them back to Germany, this tuner guy is VERY good, and the product as far as i can tell that i am getting is the Alta acess port, although when i did talk to my mechanic he at first suggested a stand alone ECU but then id lose so much things like AC and all those other things just like discussed earlier in this thread the ECU controls more than just engine but anyway I will let u know as soon as i can about the tune becasue when he gest the tuning stuff I am going to go w/ him and watch my jcw mini get tuned and do 5 pulls and see what happens but ill let everyone know on here!!! i am excited!

Thanks. What tune are you getting?
Wish all the best.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Standalone ECU