Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Standalone ECU

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011 | 05:14 PM
dsc201knoc
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by evilstitch626
well as far as I know i think i am getting the Alta tune but see my mechanic who knows a very well tuner, i think his name is Seth but anyway see the story is well my mechanic his tuner guy had a customer that lives in Germany. and the customer wanted seth the tuner guy to come to Germany, but he couldnt so the customer had his 6 corvettes shipped by air to DFW, and he tuned them and then sent them back to Germany, this tuner guy is VERY good, and the product as far as i can tell that i am getting is the Alta acess port, although when i did talk to my mechanic he at first suggested a stand alone ECU but then id lose so much things like AC and all those other things just like discussed earlier in this thread the ECU controls more than just engine but anyway I will let u know as soon as i can about the tune becasue when he gest the tuning stuff I am going to go w/ him and watch my jcw mini get tuned and do 5 pulls and see what happens but ill let everyone know on here!!! i am excited!
Looking forward to seeing the results..

Old 02-05-2011 | 08:22 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ThePenl
In order to see 300hp dyno you really should come to Europe as Czar suggests.

I can be sarcastic, but I hope I wasn't disrespectful.

Anyway, as much as I'd like to come to Europe it's probably not going to happen unless you'd liek to pitch in for the ticket.

Posting the dyno sheet on the internet is much cheaper than buying a plane ticket though.

If I dyn'oed my MINI with 300WHP you can be sure I'd have it posted up quick fast.

I would not come on here saying it did without the dyno to back it up.

Old 02-06-2011 | 12:55 AM
com3tojo3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth

Anyway, as much as I'd like to come to Europe it's probably not going to happen unless you'd liek to pitch in for the ticket.

Posting the dyno sheet on the internet is much cheaper than buying a plane ticket though.

If I dyn'oed my MINI with 300WHP you can be sure I'd have it posted up quick fast.

Nobody has posted a 300whp dyno sheet because nobody has made 300whp on the R56 with ANY amount of mods USA or Europe. I've waited 3 years to see it and honestly think its still a ways away. I've learned to enjoy the car for the potential it has but honestly I do get sick of being blown away by mildy modded GTI's on a regular basis

Old 02-06-2011 | 01:43 AM
ThePenl
|
3rd Gear

Sarcasm is good. Sometimes it can be disrespectful, but in that case it was not.
First of all you are more than welcome to come to Europe. In fact a global meeting of Mini lovers would be a great idea!
My Mini is far less powerful than 300 (reliability is what I am after) but someone has achieved and even passed that limit. If he wants to speak further it is up to him.

Regards

Last edited by ThePenl; 02-06-2011 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Mistakes
Old 02-06-2011 | 06:35 AM
evilstitch626
1st Gear
same here!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by dsc201knoc
Looking forward to seeing the results..

Old 02-06-2011 | 05:38 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ThePenl
but someone has achieved and even passed that limit. If he wants to speak further it is up to him.

Regards
please forgive me if I don't believe it until a dyno is posted.

Old 02-06-2011 | 11:16 PM
ThePenl
|
3rd Gear
please forgive me if I don't believe it until a dyno is posted.
I would also like to see a dyno, but especially in that case, I am a believer!

Old 02-07-2011 | 02:49 AM
JS352
1st Gear
i dont have a mini i have a peugeot 207gti same engine as mini here is 1 mini that i no of with 320bhp and im also doing the same with help and parts from czar
http://www.etuners.gr/en/index.php?s=13&t=219

Old 02-07-2011 | 06:27 AM
BostonR56S
Banned
fyi, most euro dynos (AFAIK) are rated by BHP. 300 BHP is about just over 250 WHP, which, we are seeing here in the US with JCW turbo's being dyno tuned.

I agree with thumper, and we aren't trying to shoot you down and tell you to stop trying, but you came on here and asked us what the options were. So far, the limits have been pushed further and further, and as I said, we're seeing some JCW Turbos reach ~250-260 whp, 290-300wtq. Why do people keep saying its not going to be easy to reach 300 whp? As mentioned, boost is the biggest factor in a turbo car (especially a 1.6L Turbo car, eg. ours). To reach those numbers you're pushing 22psi in boost, on a stock turbo with stock internals. Sure you can push the envelope further, but its not going to go much further without risking failure (being engine internals, stock turbos, etc).

So why not just swap the turbo? Again, the people who have posted saying it wont be easy, is because those are the people who have seen numberous threads that started out like this stating a similar question, then going on to say I'm putting a GT28RS turbo in and going to make 350 whp! Then no dyno posts, no updates, only posts that say "my super secret tuner is tuning the ecu right now", and later a failed ending saying the tuner couldn't tune the car correctly.

By all means, I would LOVE to see a 300 whp R56 on this board. I am usually the ones on threads yelling about how this forum is SO against going AGAINST the grain. For example, a DIY fleabay fmic core with custom fab'd end tanks. Everyone shoots you down for it, yet plenty of 335i's, WRX's, etc etc etc all run them with scientific proof. So I, myself am all for you trying to get a standalone ecu going for this car. I would love it. I wouldn't mind a 2-step/antilag system in the car.

Just fyi though, not sure if you're running stock power right now or not, but, 300 whp is going to be hell with fwd. I hope you're looking to upgrade drivetrain/suspension/clutch, as well as wideeee tires and wheels with sticky rubber to put that power down. At only 215 whp / 235 wtq and 215 width summer tires, I spin through 2nd in the dry, and spin through 4th in the rain.

And with the bolt on statements. At stock vs intake/catless exhaust, I put down 2 whp difference. MOST Vendor marketing here is all about who can look better (remember, I say most). You say you're in the aftermarket and know about modifying cars, so you should know this. CLEARLY, even with "vendor posted dyno sheets", you will NEVER be seeing 10 WHEEL HP from just a intake upgrade. The stock ecu won't allow for it. Even tuned, you may see a 1-2whp difference at most, if that.

After being tuned, my exhaust proved to provide ~8-10 wtq more than other minis being tuned with a stock exhaust and similar stock numbers.
And just to throw in a tidbit of the RMW dyno tune I got, I ran stock whp of 172 and 195 wtq. So I gained about 40 whp/wtq from a simple tune, up'ing boost from 11psi to 19psi, lowering AFR's, timing, etc. Try driving this car with no boost, its a snail. Getting these cars to go faster is 85% about the turbo.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing updates
/rant

Old 02-07-2011 | 07:57 AM
mellanor
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by com3tojo3
Nobody has posted a 300whp dyno sheet because nobody has made 300whp on the R56 with ANY amount of mods USA or Europe. I've waited 3 years to see it and honestly think its still a ways away. I've learned to enjoy the car for the potential it has but honestly I do get sick of being blown away by mildy modded GTI's on a regular basis

OK, not to be a pain in the @$$ here, but ABF has a 650WHP Gen2 mini, and everyone who races Mini's knows all about it. You are simply wrong. Of course, not everyone wants to do all of the mods that they did to get there. As was pointed out to me earlier, you can easily (but expensively) get to 300 HP and beyond in a Gen2, but you have to be willing to give up some stuff: warranty, ease of mind about CEL's, and a bit of $$$.

Old 02-07-2011 | 11:23 AM
com3tojo3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mellanor
OK, not to be a pain in the @$$ here, but ABF has a 650WHP Gen2 mini, and everyone who races Mini's knows all about it. You are simply wrong. Of course, not everyone wants to do all of the mods that they did to get there. As was pointed out to me earlier, you can easily (but expensively) get to 300 HP and beyond in a Gen2, but you have to be willing to give up some stuff: warranty, ease of mind about CEL's, and a bit of $$$.
http://www.nextconceptcars.com/custo...-by-abf-650hp/

You talking about that car? Last time I checked it was an R53.

Old 02-07-2011 | 04:50 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JS352
i dont have a mini i have a peugeot 207gti same engine as mini here is 1 mini that i no of with 320bhp and im also doing the same with help and parts from czar
http://www.etuners.gr/en/index.php?s=13&t=219
very nice but that comes out to ~270WHP with 15% loss.. Not quite 300 yet.

((edit) the dyno shows the correction as 70HP at redline.. so the 320-70 = 250WHP - no better than Alta or Jan has achieved here in the US.)

Lots of major mods to get to that point also:
  • Stage 4 ECU remap
  • 98/100 octane fuel
  • Upgraded intercooler
  • Turbo kit - IHI VF34
  • Upgraded connecting rods
  • Upgraded camshafts
  • Full exhaust
Originally Posted by mellanor
Everyone who knows that car know it is a Tritec engine running a huge turbo - not a gen 2 prince engine. They also know that is purpose built for 1/4 mile drag racing and would not work on the street. It is basically a 4 cylinder dragster engine.

What they don't know is how much the engine cost cost but it was surely more than the cost of a whole new loaded S model.

Nobody has broken 300whp on gen 2 engine no matter how much they've spent yet. At least no one has proven they've done it.

Last edited by MotorMouth; 02-07-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-07-2011 | 05:05 PM
ThePro
2nd Gear
R56 v2

So my best bet for the most "tuneable" tuner is the Alta Accessport? If I want to "order" tunes via email (sending dyno sheets along the way)..

Im not looking for a standalone, this is a streetdriven R56.
But I just need a system that allows for customizable maps, for all my mods.

Alot of my parts are one-offs and so if I was stuck with tunes designed for brand-specific parts, I'll be outta luck.

By the end of this week: GT2860R-5(between the 2560 and 2860), headers, intercooler and injectors if I can source them.

Old 02-07-2011 | 06:20 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ThePro
So my best bet for the most "tuneable" tuner is the Alta Accessport? If I want to "order" tunes via email (sending dyno sheets along the way)..

But I just need a system that allows for customizable maps, for all my mods..

Yes, the AP is the best bet for tuning your MINI. OF course having a tuner give you a live tune on a dyno is best, but Alta can get pretty close to what you need if you let them know your mods. Bets are off if you put a big turbo on there unless it's one Alta has done a tune for.

Old 02-07-2011 | 06:56 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
NO! The Access Port is NOT I will say again, IS NOT your best choice. I know I am about to **** a couple people off BUT, MYNES will be relesing the Byte Tronik software for the R56 and R60 MINIS soon. The Full Access software (FA56) WILL ALOW FULL END USER (i,e YOU or your trusted shop) ACCESS TO ALL FUEL/TIMING/BOOST PRESSURE/AND EVERY OTHER ENGINE CONTROLL TABLE IN THE ECU, JUST LIKE THE BIG TUNERS USE FOR THE PRICE OF JUST A COUPLE OF THEIR TUNES!!! You will be able to create as many maps (tunes) as the hard drive on your laptop will hold, and if you learn how to write the tunes yourself it will save you a lot of money in the long run.

It alone wont get you to the 300 mark that you want but, it will help things along being able to tune your own car after each hardware installation (and its going to take A LOT of hardware to get where you want.)

TRY GETTING JAN/RMW OR ALTA TO TUNE YOUR CAR FOR FREE EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE THE SETUP ON YOUR CAR, IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN!

Just thought the R56 croud should know.

Old 02-07-2011 | 07:31 PM
Octane
3rd Gear
Sounds great, I have been reading about the latest RMW tune for the JCW's on the Dimsport and also considering the Alta Cobb A/P but this looks like Mynes has something worth waiting for. Any estimate on release date?

Old 02-07-2011 | 07:43 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
MYNES will be relesing the Byte Tronik software for the R56 and R60 MINIS soon.

talk is cheap until the dynos come out. especially when talking about something that hasn't been released

TRY GETTING JAN/RMW OR ALTA TO TUNE YOUR CAR FOR FREE EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE THE SETUP ON YOUR CAR, IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN!
actually alta gives you about 20 tunes to choose from. pick which one you want based on your mods. I know that both jan and alta have updated tunes for free for numerous customers.

as far as modifying the files yourself.. maybe you have the knowledge to do so, but 99% of the people on here do not.

Last edited by MotorMouth; 02-07-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2011 | 09:38 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
talk is cheap until the dynos come out. especially when talking about something that hasn't been released

actually alta gives you about 20 tunes to choose from. pick which one you want based on your mods. I know that both jan and alta have updated tunes for free for numerous customers.

as far as modifying the files yourself.. maybe you have the knowledge to do so, but 99% of the people on here do not.
Told you I was going to **** some people off.

Octane, no word on the MYNES Forum site yet on when it is going to be relesed. You can check out the S/W specs at http://mynesperformance.forumotion.c...1-mini-r56-r60

As for needing dyno sheets for proof, any kind of tuning creates better dyno numbers, as long as whoever tunes it knows what they are doing. Its not the S/W that makes the power its how the ECU is set for the engine to run, the S/W just opens the door for a tuner to do their job. It dosent even need to be a MINI specific tuner to set it up, any tuner with a dyno, and half a brain (knows what AFR, and Knock levels are acceptible, and safe) can do the job weather they tune Mitsubishi's, Hondas, Audis, or whatever, so there is no JAN nessicary.

The Access Port IMHO is a glorified canned tune. It is still based off of average running conditions on an average of cars. Not all cars run the same, people live at different altitudes and climates, which really affects the way a car runs. With a Canned tune its really a best guess of what will work for everyone. It really daoent matter if they have 20 maps to choose from, there are THOUSANDS of R56's built, are you absolutely sure that one of those 20 is exactly right for you?

Now Remote tunes are a little better but, there is still no tuner present with the car. They are simply basing their maps off of dataloggs through emails, which can work well but still may take manny times of going through the process to get it perfect.

The only way to get a perfect tune is to get a custom tune LOCALY (In your state at your altitude and atmospheric air dencity.), which means finding a way into your ECU, or waiting for someone to fly out to your area, and hoping you can get in on a tuning party.

The FA56 S/W is that gateway into your ECU, so that it can be tuned properly without the wait, and NOT having somebody take an EDUCATED GUESS at what the car really needs.

Any more arguements?

Old 02-07-2011 | 09:45 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BostonR56S
fyi, most euro dynos (AFAIK) are rated by BHP. 300 BHP is about just over 250 WHP, which, we are seeing here in the US with JCW turbo's being dyno tuned.

I agree with thumper, and we aren't trying to shoot you down and tell you to stop trying, but you came on here and asked us what the options were. So far, the limits have been pushed further and further, and as I said, we're seeing some JCW Turbos reach ~250-260 whp, 290-300wtq. Why do people keep saying its not going to be easy to reach 300 whp? As mentioned, boost is the biggest factor in a turbo car (especially a 1.6L Turbo car, eg. ours). To reach those numbers you're pushing 22psi in boost, on a stock turbo with stock internals. Sure you can push the envelope further, but its not going to go much further without risking failure (being engine internals, stock turbos, etc).

So why not just swap the turbo? Again, the people who have posted saying it wont be easy, is because those are the people who have seen numberous threads that started out like this stating a similar question, then going on to say I'm putting a GT28RS turbo in and going to make 350 whp! Then no dyno posts, no updates, only posts that say "my super secret tuner is tuning the ecu right now", and later a failed ending saying the tuner couldn't tune the car correctly.

By all means, I would LOVE to see a 300 whp R56 on this board. I am usually the ones on threads yelling about how this forum is SO against going AGAINST the grain. For example, a DIY fleabay fmic core with custom fab'd end tanks. Everyone shoots you down for it, yet plenty of 335i's, WRX's, etc etc etc all run them with scientific proof. So I, myself am all for you trying to get a standalone ecu going for this car. I would love it. I wouldn't mind a 2-step/antilag system in the car.

Just fyi though, not sure if you're running stock power right now or not, but, 300 whp is going to be hell with fwd. I hope you're looking to upgrade drivetrain/suspension/clutch, as well as wideeee tires and wheels with sticky rubber to put that power down. At only 215 whp / 235 wtq and 215 width summer tires, I spin through 2nd in the dry, and spin through 4th in the rain.

And with the bolt on statements. At stock vs intake/catless exhaust, I put down 2 whp difference. MOST Vendor marketing here is all about who can look better (remember, I say most). You say you're in the aftermarket and know about modifying cars, so you should know this. CLEARLY, even with "vendor posted dyno sheets", you will NEVER be seeing 10 WHEEL HP from just a intake upgrade. The stock ecu won't allow for it. Even tuned, you may see a 1-2whp difference at most, if that.

After being tuned, my exhaust proved to provide ~8-10 wtq more than other minis being tuned with a stock exhaust and similar stock numbers.
And just to throw in a tidbit of the RMW dyno tune I got, I ran stock whp of 172 and 195 wtq. So I gained about 40 whp/wtq from a simple tune, up'ing boost from 11psi to 19psi, lowering AFR's, timing, etc. Try driving this car with no boost, its a snail. Getting these cars to go faster is 85% about the turbo.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing updates
/rant
Wonderful to see some sense in this thread....

props erik!

As most know, I'm running a JCW turbo and it's far exceeded my expectations and always blows away anyone who I let drive my car. And the kicker is the tune isn't even done, thanks to the MAP sensor issues. So its down about 30hp/50 ft-lbs from where it will be. It's plenty fine even where it is...will blow away STI's/Evo's/M3's all day long.

I'm not against "pushing the envelope" or thinking forward, but this is my 2nd MINI, and I've been around since the beginning of the R53, I've been through the progression of both generations. It just kills me when someone new comes on and starts saying all the things they want to try and asking people's opinions, when the answers are already out there. And then they jump on you for being "closed minded." At that point you just give up and say "have fun and let me know how that goes....."

Originally Posted by com3tojo3
http://www.nextconceptcars.com/custo...-by-abf-650hp/

You talking about that car? Last time I checked it was an R53.
Yes, as far as I've heard Mynes/ABF does not have a 650whp R56.

Originally Posted by ThePro

But I just need a system that allows for customizable maps, for all my mods.

Alot of my parts are one-offs and so if I was stuck with tunes designed for brand-specific parts, I'll be outta luck.

By the end of this week: GT2860R-5(between the 2560 and 2860), headers, intercooler and injectors if I can source them.
Our car doesn't have headers.

You'll find the GT2860 is a waste. The 2560 will be too...considering its almost the same as a GT2860. If you want to go big, do a GT2554R...it's plenty big for this car.

Old 02-07-2011 | 09:51 PM
Octane
3rd Gear
DICKS GARAGE R53

Thanks for the link and for all the good points you mention about the advantages that are possible with Mynes new offering. IMO knowing that Mynes is behind this product is a huge plus due to Mynes experience and reputation.

Old 02-07-2011 | 09:51 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
The Access Port IMHO is a glorified canned tune. It is still based off of average running conditions on an average of cars. Not all cars run the same, people live at different altitudes and climates, which really affects the way a car runs. With a Canned tune its really a best guess of what will work for everyone. It really daoent matter if they have 20 maps to choose from, there are THOUSANDS of R56's built, are you absolutely sure that one of those 20 is exactly right for you?

Now Remote tunes are a little better but, there is still no tuner present with the car. They are simply basing their maps off of dataloggs through emails, which can work well but still may take manny times of going through the process to get it perfect.

The only way to get a perfect tune is to get a custom tune LOCALY (In your state at your altitude and atmospheric air dencity.), which means finding a way into your ECU, or waiting for someone to fly out to your area, and hoping you can get in on a tuning party.

The FA56 S/W is that gateway into your ECU, so that it can be tuned properly without the wait, and NOT having somebody take an EDUCATED GUESS at what the car really needs.

Any more arguements?
You have no clue what you're talking about. How is the Accessport a glorified canned tune?

Have you ever tuned using AccessPort software? After spending 6 hrs on the dyno tuning with the AccessPort, I can tell you....you are so wrong.

Old 02-07-2011 | 10:03 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
You have no clue what you're talking about. How is the Accessport a glorified canned tune?

Have you ever tuned using AccessPort software? After spending 6 hrs on the dyno tuning with the AccessPort, I can tell you....you are so wrong.
Maybe he doesn't realize that the AP is a gateway into the ECU jsut like he's been talking about. We just leave the actual tuning to the experts. And.. I 'd rather trust someone who has tuned hundreds of R56s than someone who's been tuning other brands of cars even if basics such as AF etc follow the same general rules. SO you are back to waiting for one of the MINI tuners to come out - or more easily emailing them the data logs - which is the same thing they'd see if they were on location.

But oh yea, he doesn't even have an r56...

Old 02-07-2011 | 10:10 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Dicks, I read the write up on the thing you are talking about. IT doesn't seem to do anything the AP doesn't do other than provide the end user with the program to make maps yourself.

That's awesome if you happen to be someone who knows how to tune an R56 and stupidly dangerous to use if you don't.

Old 02-07-2011 | 10:14 PM
Octane
3rd Gear
ThumperMSC

You posted about adding your JCW turbo and tune quite a while back and after the time that has past you say "the kicker is the tune isn't even done, thanks to the MAP sensor issues". Do you or your tuner have a solution for your Map sensor issue or is this an open end problem when changing to higher performing turbos on the Minis.

Last edited by Octane; 02-07-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-07-2011 | 10:25 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Octane
ThumperMSC

You posted about adding your JCW turbo and tune quite a while back and after the time that has past you say "the kicker is the tune isn't even done, thanks to the MAP sensor issues". Do you or your tuner have a solution for your Map sensor issue or is this an open end problem when changing to higher performing turbos on the Minis.

From what I've heard its across the board when running higher boost with the MCS. MAP sensor will cause the car to cut boost at 22psi.

Alta has mentioned the issue in a few of their threads. I honestly haven't cared or been following much though, been kinda out of the loop due to lack of $$, but that is changing thanks to a new job . So I'm back around, ready to play again

Even where it is right now, the car has been an absolute joy for the 4 months. It's a little beast.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Standalone ECU