Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Cylinder work

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 12:54 PM
lit1
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can anyone recommend someone that can port and polish the MINI S cylinder head
and maybe increase the exshaust valve 1 to 3 mm?

Old 01-07-2004, 12:58 PM
RUMINI
2nd Gear
Where are you? There is an _excellent_ machine shop in my local area that I would trust with my head (_Cylinder_ head). I'm in Louisville KY....

Old 01-07-2004, 03:49 PM
jazmini
4th Gear
Hey lit1,

You can also consider the MINI-Madness head (they are a sponsor here on NAM) for $1849, which is ported and polished with larger ports, and 2mm larger Incanal exhaust valves, which are the same high quality metal used by MINI for it's exhaust valves. I got the above right off their website.

Old 01-07-2004, 04:49 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts

>>You can also consider the MINI-Madness head (they are a sponsor here on NAM) for $1849, which is ported and polished with larger ports, and 2mm larger Incanal exhaust valves, which are the same high quality metal used by MINI for it's exhaust valves. I got the above right off their website.

Anyone care to comment on the differences between the Madness head vs having a shop do the work? How does the shop know what to do or do they just do what you tell them to do? How do you know without testing what to do- aren't you just guessing what might work?

Old 01-07-2004, 04:55 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
We are in the finishing stages of our new Cylinder head. We will be providing it in the next month or so. That may or may not tie into your time line. We have spent about 2 months getting the head to flow correctly, and will be installing it in about 3 weeks. We are also working on manufacturing larger Valves for the intake and exhaust and would have them in about 2 months. Drop me an e-mail if you wish to discuss this.

Thanks
Dan
Pilo Racing

Old 01-07-2004, 05:01 PM
InfoSec
2nd Gear
Most speed shops I visited in my younger days where quite knowlegable about the right size of intake and exhaust valves to use, but most importantly they knew what was the right CAM to match after the mod was done. These guys worked on everything under the sun both foreign and domestic.

What I am most interested is on true high perfromance work on the heads. Looking at the whole assembly and see what can be done. Look on American muscle cars a sure fire way to improve performance was to put bigger and lighter valves (Titatium or Sodium filled) and Titanium vlave springs and retainers use a nice hot roller CAM. Sure polish the crap out of the assembly and flow tested. Anybody see where I am going with this ??

Cheers

Old 01-07-2004, 05:10 PM
jazmini
4th Gear
I don't know about the differences between shop's workmanship, but I think a good shop is a good shop, wherever they may be. My 2 cents. But there are differences in the type of work done. MINI-Madness has 2mm larger exhaust valves (per their website), and Pilo Racing has 1mm larger ones with also 5mm larger intake valves -- per another (current) thread here I just finished reading. I'd be interested in knowing what these differences will do for the MINI. Or at least in general what these mods will accomplish. Someone on NAM (I don't remember who it was) the other day said they thought that on a normally aspirated engine (non-supercharged) bigger valves would just move the power band up the RPM range. I think this means that the power would be in the higher RPMs, at a sacrifice to power at lower RPMs. Now for a stick shift, this can work OK, but for the CVT, that probably will be a problem, as the CVT uses torque more (and power at low RPMs).

Any comments?

Old 01-07-2004, 05:52 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
>>Most speed shops I visited in my younger days where quite knowlegable about the right size of intake and exhaust valves to use, but most importantly they knew what was the right CAM to match after the mod was done. These guys worked on everything under the sun both foreign and domestic.

So is anyone working on a matched set -Cam and polished reworked cylinder head?
Pilo Racing- is that head for the MCS you are working on? And do you recommend using your new head with a Shrick cam or the stock cam or does it matter?

>>What I am most interested is on true high perfromance work on the heads. Looking at the whole assembly and see what can be done. Look on American muscle cars a sure fire way to improve performance was to put bigger and lighter valves (Titatium or Sodium filled) and Titanium vlave springs and retainers use a nice hot roller CAM. Sure polish the crap out of the assembly and flow tested. Anybody see where I am going with this ??

If one used bigger and lighter valves would that affect reliability? Would the valves need more adjustment/maintenance or would they wear faster? (depends on how you drive the car maybe?)

Old 01-07-2004, 06:01 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
We are working on an MCS head, but have the ability to re-work and MC head, but you would have to send it in to us, we can not provide and exhange as we will do with the MCS.

This head will work with both the Stock Cam, and Schrick Cam. We acn install the Cam for you and sold as a complete package.

The valves that we are working on will not effect longevity, but will increase flow. I do not have final specs on these as they are still in the first prototype right now, and will have the info in the coming weeks.

Thanks,
Dan
Pilo Racing

Old 01-08-2004, 12:28 AM
lit1
Neutral
this is what i was lookking at doing with an extra MINI S cylinder head. woud like to have it ported and polished both intake/ exhaust with polished combustion chamber as well. Would like to increase the exhaust valve by 3mm, i think that is the biggest that will fit in the head, and possible to rise the compression ratio to 8.5:1

Old 01-09-2004, 10:22 AM
05JCWS
6th Gear
MiniPilo,

I like everyone's wishes for a reworked head with larger exhaust valves...... but for most people they become quite expensive ($1500-$2000) with sometimes small gains.

I am really interested in a stock head that has just been ported and polished. I would assume that this is much lower in cost ($500-$800). I know that the gains are low, but I am looking for a good base as I increase some of the heat with the supercharger and so on. This JCW head is also just ported and polished.

Will you be offering a head like this?

Old 01-09-2004, 03:58 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
We are doing more then a basic port and polish, even while keeping the stock valves. I am not sure of the cost though.. will let you though when I get it finalized.

Thanks,
Dan
Pilo Racing