Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Is there a stroker kit for the MCS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011 | 04:29 PM
AWD_Rally
|
Veteran: Marine Corp
Is there a stroker kit for the MCS?

I'm trying to find info, so forgive me if it's already covered, on any stroker kits. Are they even out there? I've searched here and on google, but can't really find much. I found a thread that seemed like they were going to get into a discussion about it... then I realized it was 4 years old

Wondering if you can make the engine to a 2.0L. That would be an anwsome engine build for this car, I think. Spool and power (especially torque) would be pretty dang nice.

Anyone have info on this?

Thanks!

Old 03-17-2011 | 04:41 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AWD_Rally
I'm trying to find info, so forgive me if it's already covered, on any stroker kits. Are they even out there? I've searched here and on google, but can't really find much. I found a thread that seemed like they were going to get into a discussion about it... then I realized it was 4 years old

Wondering if you can make the engine to a 2.0L. That would be an anwsome engine build for this car, I think. Spool and power (especially torque) would be pretty dang nice.

Anyone have info on this?

Thanks!
Not yet on the R56...

You can get a 1.8L & 2.0L from RMW for the R53 though. The beauty of those stroker motors is torque....something the R53's lack. We have no shortage of torque in the 56, so people haven't really been on a quest for displacement. If you want to toy with the idea, give Jan a call and with a little bit of cash I'm sure you could have something done. People always said it couldn't be done on the 53 and what do you know, it was done.

Right now though I think you should just stick with a 1.6 and try a properly sized bigger turbo, along with a ported head & bigger valves + suitable cams for the turbo you choose. That would give you more than you'd ever want. See what that gives you, then play with displacement later down the road.

Old 03-17-2011 | 04:44 PM
Creeve
6th Gear
There have been no stroker R56s. There have been stroker R53s but they were 1.8L.

Old 03-17-2011 | 04:59 PM
AWD_Rally
|
Well...

A little background, I come from the Subaru community, I own a slightly modded STI at the moment. So I'm used to that kind of power... with AWD. Mostly working on it being lightweight though; sitting at 3140 lbs, compared to the 3360 lb stock weight.

I'm looking to get into a Countryman All4, so I'd like to have a little more power than what the typical mini is putting down (since I'll have proper traction in the rear wheels). Also so I can try and make up for it being slightly heavier lol.

Old 03-17-2011 | 05:25 PM
Creeve
6th Gear
Well...

A little background, I come from the Subaru community, I own a slightly modded STI at the moment. So I'm used to that kind of power... with AWD. Mostly working on it being lightweight though; sitting at 3140 lbs, compared to the 3360 lb stock weight.

I'm looking to get into a Countryman All4, so I'd like to have a little more power than what the typical mini is putting down (since I'll have proper traction in the rear wheels). Also so I can try and make up for it being slightly heavier lol.
I hope all wheel drive isn't the only reason you are looking into a Countryman. I am willing to bet a regular Coopers S with a good LSD will provide at least comprable traction and better overall performance.

Old 03-17-2011 | 06:14 PM
AWD_Rally
|
Originally Posted by Creeve
I hope all wheel drive isn't the only reason you are looking into a Countryman. I am willing to bet a regular Coopers S with a good LSD will provide at least comprable traction and better overall performance.
Not the only reason, I go to the mountains a lot and rather not have to carry chains with me, so the AWD with good winter tires will prevent that. Skiing is fun

I like the room that CM has since it will be my DD, but it's still not big compared to the average car out there. Maybe big compared to other Mini's, but still relatively small. Also considering I have an STI which is quite big compared to the CM, for a hatchback. I'd say if I was going to be pure city streets, then yes I'd settle for the FWD, but that's not the case.

Anyways... it would be very cool to see a stroker kit for this car, I wonder what kind of power you'd see with a 2.0?

Old 03-17-2011 | 07:50 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
You'll find that you won't need as much power to have fun and go quick in the MINI vs the STi. Especially seeing how its going to be your DD.

My good friend has a stage-II STi and my modded-MCS holds its own against it. The subie still takes over considering it has about 50-60 more hp than me...but impressive none the less.

A 2.0L R56 would be fun for sure though, and the GT28RS would be perfectly sized for it. My guess it would probably put out 350-400whp depending on tune.

Old 03-17-2011 | 08:18 PM
AWD_Rally
|
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
You'll find that you won't need as much power to have fun and go quick in the MINI vs the STi. Especially seeing how its going to be your DD.

My good friend has a stage-II STi and my modded-MCS holds its own against it. The subie still takes over considering it has about 50-60 more hp than me...but impressive none the less.

A 2.0L R56 would be fun for sure though, and the GT28RS would be perfectly sized for it. My guess it would probably put out 350-400whp depending on tune.
My STI is my DD right now and I run 310 WHP/ 350 WTQ (I guess my car is considered Stage-3, I don't go by that since it's more of a marketing thing). Once I get bigger injectors and fuel pump I'll be running E85, so more around 350-370 WHP/ 430-450 WTQ, depending on the dyno. And that's only changing to E85, not adding major performance parts. My car weighs 3140 lbs and is only getting lighter Goal is 2700 lbs. Oh and that's stock turbo.

That I could do as a DD, but I want more power... hence why I want to get another DD, because the power I want won't be very realistic on the street. I'll save that power for the track.

I've read a tad bit about the GT28RS turbo for these cars, but not too aware of it's capabilities. I'd imagine with a 2.0 engine it probably spool quicker than having it on a standard 1.6L... that would be cool.

Do you know where this turbo hits it's peaks at? On average? My guess would be with an engine .4L bigger spool should be at least a couple, or even a few, 100 RPMs quicker. I think 300 WHP on the Countryman AWD would be perfect match for it's heavier weight, as a DD. But I'd take more

So I'd like my car to be like this... MCS CM All4, auto, 2.0L with 300 WHP (or more) and whatever the TQ would be. I love TQ!

Hopefully that's not too far fetched.

Old 03-17-2011 | 08:42 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
My STI is my DD right now and I run 310 WHP/ 350 WTQ (I guess my car is considered Stage-3, I don't go by that since it's more of a marketing thing). Once I get bigger injectors and fuel pump I'll be running E85, so more around 350-370 WHP/ 430-450 WTQ, depending on the dyno. And that's only changing to E85, not adding major performance parts. My car weighs 3140 lbs and is only getting lighter Goal is 2700 lbs. Oh and that's stock turbo.

That I could do as a DD, but I want more power... hence why I want to get another DD, because the power I want won't be very realistic on the street. I'll save that power for the track.

I've read a tad bit about the GT28RS turbo for these cars, but not too aware of it's capabilities. I'd imagine with a 2.0 engine it probably spool quicker than having it on a standard 1.6L... that would be cool.

Do you know where this turbo hits it's peaks at? On average? My guess would be with an engine .4L bigger spool should be at least a couple, or even a few, 100 RPMs quicker. I think 300 WHP on the Countryman AWD would be perfect match for it's heavier weight, as a DD. But I'd take more

So I'd like my car to be like this... MCS CM All4, auto, 2.0L with 300 WHP (or more) and whatever the TQ would be. I love TQ!

Hopefully that's not too far fetched.
Dunno how the Auto will hold up with that power...

As far as the GT28RS, it is too big for our stock 1.6L, it is well suited for 1.8-2.0 applications (its huge in the VW/Audi world). You can find compressor maps on Garrett's website and a wealth of specs on it...but it is a very fast spooling turbo. People just forget we only have tiny 1.6's! But as I said, on a 2.0 it'd be golden

Old 03-17-2011 | 09:22 PM
AWD_Rally
|
Damn.... maybe I need to get the manual. I'm trying to avoid that since I just want a comfy, fast, DD. I heard the auto trans (aisin or whatever) is pretty damn strong. Maybe I was misguided.

Well that turbo sounds like the perfect candidate then if I do go through with a 2.0 stroker kit... just scared to find out how much that would cost.

Old 03-17-2011 | 09:30 PM
AkFarina
Banned
I realy want to find a R56 motor in the junk yard then build it up and swap it just in case it blows out.

Old 03-17-2011 | 09:36 PM
AWD_Rally
|
Originally Posted by AkFarina
I realy want to find a R56 motor in the junk yard then build it up and swap it just in case it blows out.
I've always thought about doing that, but it's hard to come by a STI engine that's still worth saving in a junk yard

But I do like the idea for the Mini... I might have to steal that idea!

Old 03-18-2011 | 06:57 AM
chuntington101
3rd Gear
there is a compnay in the UK that can fit a VW/Audi 1.8T motor into a R53. Im pretty sure you can get new liners and or a stroker crank totkae these to 2.0ltr. That would problably be your best bet. Also as the R56 motor is a direct injection engine you will be somewhat limited to the power you can get by modding the stock engine.

Chris.

Old 03-18-2011 | 07:07 AM
AkFarina
Banned
New head and block. stand alone ecu. doesn't need to e direct injection any more.

Old 03-18-2011 | 08:27 AM
AWD_Rally
|
Originally Posted by chuntington101
there is a compnay in the UK that can fit a VW/Audi 1.8T motor into a R53. Im pretty sure you can get new liners and or a stroker crank totkae these to 2.0ltr. That would problably be your best bet. Also as the R56 motor is a direct injection engine you will be somewhat limited to the power you can get by modding the stock engine.

Chris.
I'm sure if a stroker kit came out to make it a 2.0, I'm sure with the direct injection it would still net some nice power, with a properly matched turbo of course.

Old 03-18-2011 | 08:30 AM
AWD_Rally
|
Originally Posted by AkFarina
New head and block. stand alone ecu. doesn't need to e direct injection any more.
That would be an awesome idea too.

As a DD, I might not go that far... till a few years later

Old 03-18-2011 | 06:13 PM
Raymazing
4th Gear
I want a stroker!!! Not that i get traction now but i want to be able to handle modded evos and the like. To those asking about the gt28rs, its great turbo response is killer im at 19psi at 3850...

Old 03-18-2011 | 06:30 PM
AWD_Rally
|
Originally Posted by Raymazing
I want a stroker!!! Not that i get traction now but i want to be able to handle modded evos and the like. To those asking about the gt28rs, its great turbo response is killer im at 19psi at 3850...
What are you putting down to the wheels? and crank? whp/qtq

Old 03-18-2011 | 07:04 PM
Raymazing
4th Gear
252 whp 269wtq that's on low boost and on a heartbreaker of a mustang dyno could slap it on a dyno jet and make almost 3 on low boost. Btw I'm set at 18.5 psi via greddy profec b on low boost. Need my map for the 24-25 setting. A little too lean for my tastes.

Old 03-18-2011 | 07:10 PM
jkool44
1st Gear
Rally,

I too came from the Subaru community. I had a 2006 WRX Limited, TBE, CAI, Tune, suspension, pushing around 325. Now I have a 2010 MCS, TBE, AccessPort, CAI, Suspension, and it is amazing. I am a huge fan of Alta parts being that they are the same people as Perrin, and used their parts on my WRX. The AccessPort opens up un believable power on the MINIs (which I am sure you are aware of since you been posting in that thread).

I recently took out a Coutryman S, and it was crazy quick for a vehicle of its size with the AWD. If I were you I would put the stroker idea aside (as awesome as it would be) and look into the AccessPort. True that it is not yet ready for the Coutryman, but pair it with a good exhaust, intake, and how quick the car already is and you will have quite the machine. Alta also has a upgraded Turbo kit on the way that would help also.

Also I have chatted with the Alta guys about E85 in the MINI, and they said they would be able to get a good tune going for the car on E85. in addition to the tune all you would need to really swap out are the fuel lines to ensure the mini can support E85 long term.

Hope that helps convince you of the power the MINIs can make.

Good Luck

Old 03-19-2011 | 06:07 AM
AWD_Rally
|
Originally Posted by jkool44
Rally,

I too came from the Subaru community. I had a 2006 WRX Limited, TBE, CAI, Tune, suspension, pushing around 325. Now I have a 2010 MCS, TBE, AccessPort, CAI, Suspension, and it is amazing. I am a huge fan of Alta parts being that they are the same people as Perrin, and used their parts on my WRX. The AccessPort opens up un believable power on the MINIs (which I am sure you are aware of since you been posting in that thread).

I recently took out a Coutryman S, and it was crazy quick for a vehicle of its size with the AWD. If I were you I would put the stroker idea aside (as awesome as it would be) and look into the AccessPort. True that it is not yet ready for the Coutryman, but pair it with a good exhaust, intake, and how quick the car already is and you will have quite the machine. Alta also has a upgraded Turbo kit on the way that would help also.

Also I have chatted with the Alta guys about E85 in the MINI, and they said they would be able to get a good tune going for the car on E85. in addition to the tune all you would need to really swap out are the fuel lines to ensure the mini can support E85 long term.

Hope that helps convince you of the power the MINIs can make.

Good Luck
Now correct me if im missing something, but if you mean 325 whp with just tbe and intake, I'm going to say that sounds wrong on a wrx. I make about 310 whp and I have a 09 STI with: Cai, ebcs, equal length headers, up pipe, down pipe, apexi mid pipe (hi-flow cat), muffler delete, lwcp. On 91 Oct, with 93 I might make another 5-10 whp. And my car weighs less than 3150 lb with 350 wtq

Pertinent is good, no doubt. But I think I'm going to experiment with custom Fab (do a lot of that on the STI).

But I agree, the countryman does hold it's own pretty well. I test drove one. I'm not getting A stroker kit right away, if I do decide to eventually get one. But I do know I'm going to want more power sooner and later, lol.

First power "mod" I did to my STI was an accessport, so I definitely know how well they can work. But I'm a bigger fan of pro tunes, it really dials in the engine to as good as it gets. Because really, no 2 engines will perform exactly the same under the same conditions. Now I'll probably still get one, its still an awesome tool regardless of whether you use it for a OTS map, pro tunes or just checking up on the engine.

Going fishing, I'll finish later

Old 03-19-2011 | 06:16 AM
jkool44
1st Gear
Now correct me if im missing something, but if you mean 325 whp with just tbe and intake, I'm going to say that sounds wrong on a wrx. I make about 310 whp and I have a 09 STI with: Cai, ebcs, equal length headers, up pipe, down pipe, apexi mid pipe (hi-flow cat), muffler delete, lwcp. On 91 Oct, with 93 I might make another 5-10 whp. And my car weighs less than 3150 lb with 350 wtq
I did have other pats and a custom tune.

And don't get wrong, I would love to see a stroker on the MCS motors. Pair it with a nice turbo, and a custom AccessPort tune, and other cars won't know what just went by them.

Although it is far off, keep us updated on any custom fab you do. Would love to see how it turns out.

Old 03-19-2011 | 07:14 AM
AWD_Rally
|
Id imagine you at least a bigger Turbo, what kind did you have?

I hope I can do what I'm thinking is possible for this engine. But it is far off lol. At least a year before I do anything. Definitely would like to make it a nice little beast.

Old 03-19-2011 | 02:05 PM
Sabes
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS

It's true, with RMW tune and hi-flow cat, running down the straight at a track, 40-80mph he would only pull 1/2 a car length on me. He has a '05 sti (stage II), with protune, downpipe, exhaust and running no cat's.

But now he's upgraded to headers, uppipe, ebc, external waste gate, intake, E85 and I will most probably get wrecked in a straight now.

Old 03-19-2011 | 06:03 PM
AWD_Rally
|
Originally Posted by Sabes
It's true, with RMW tune and hi-flow cat, running down the straight at a track, 40-80mph he would only pull 1/2 a car length on me. He has a '05 sti (stage II), with protune, downpipe, exhaust and running no cat's.

But now he's upgraded to headers, uppipe, ebc, external waste gate, intake, E85 and I will most probably get wrecked in a straight now.
STI (05) with dp, intake and exhaust and protune might make like 280 whp. So power to weight ratio might have been very similar. Which makes sense since the mini is aroundd 2650 lbs (around 600 lbs lighter than a 05 STI) and the engines match their sizes very well. Correct me if I'm off on the mini weight, I'm not positive.

So comes to my long drawn out point in this post. After researching for the past couple weeks I don't see why a mini couldn't be up there with the STIs, just a matter of more aftetmarket parts. In comparison, seems like the mini world is a Tad bit limited next to EVOs, STIs etc. Not that what's available isn't good enough, bit its expensive. I thought my STI is expensive enough in perfmance mods for its price range of performance vehicles. People have full interior, daily driven STIs(and evos) that are vette killers. Obviously built, but its "affordable" in consideration for what you're getting done. Is it realistic to need to be that? No, but they are capable at their weight. I guess the issue with minis and big power is losing traction because of the fwd, but I have no experience there.

Another note, a lot of STI guys end up getting aftermarket pistons and rods, minimum. So if there was a stroker kit for the mini, it would just be upping that a bit.

Power to weight ratio is key: 3360 lbs STI with 300 whp would be like a 2650 lbs MCS with ~237whp.

So again, from just the research in the past couple weeks... I think Minis could be mini monsters and most people outside the mini community don't know it yet.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Is there a stroker kit for the MCS?