Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Intake Routing Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011 | 05:25 PM
SooperCuperErik
|
4th Gear
Intake Routing Project

So, instead of going for the "route your intake as low as possible for cold air" ... since theres issues with space and water...

I took into account the "typical" intake locations of aftermarket (I have an AEM dryflow filter on an alta housing right now), and the idea behind DOS's intake... I'm going to dremel out a slot/hole behind the current filter location in the bulkhead wall, and feed a hose in a U-shape to turn upwards to the cowl vents above. If I can find something to fab up a actual feed from the vent to the bulk head hole, I will, but may just start with a large diameter hose to feed and aim air to be driven through the cowl and into the back of the filter.
Thus, air feeding locations will be through the opened hoodscoop, the oem tubing routed to the front grill, and the rear cowl tubing.

Yes, gains from intakes are definitely negligible. I agree to this. But since I have an open filter in the rear of the engine bay, ambient air under the hood is a few degrees higher than outside ambient air, so driving more outside ambient air towards the filter the better. Its a general conceptual idea, if anything its not going to hurt the performance. I'm RMW tuned, and was tuned with an open filter. When I threw the stock box back on, my MAF got funky and ended up throwing a code, who knows what the reasoning was, as obviously the oem box shouldn't be throwing codes. Maybe the air rates were too drastic of a change in combination with my driving and it didn't adjust quickly enough, but regardless. I personally enjoy the DV sound which is enough reason for me to have an open intake.

Anyone have any suggestions either for tubing or building a housing towards this? I'm in the beginning stages, but i'll definitely keep things updated when the project actually pans out (probably this summer)

Old 03-17-2011 | 07:40 PM
AWD_Rally
Veteran: Marine Corp
Would the hood cover this still? Because I'm thinking if it doesn't, then there is potential of water easily getting in there during a rainy day.

Old 03-17-2011 | 11:04 PM
barnoun
3rd Gear
If you take off that rubber strip at the rear of the engine bay you get air from the cowl area hitting the open intake directly. I do that sometimes but leave the strip in place when it's rainy. Easier than having to make holes and using extra tubing.

Old 03-18-2011 | 06:48 AM
AWD_Rally
Originally Posted by barnoun
If you take off that rubber strip at the rear of the engine bay you get air from the cowl area hitting the open intake directly. I do that sometimes but leave the strip in place when it's rainy. Easier than having to make holes and using extra tubing.

I wonder if that would cause more lift underneath the hood? More air allowed, more air pressure; seems like there would be more lift. I don't if that's a concern or not with that hood, but aero can mess up MPGs.

Old 03-18-2011 | 07:49 AM
SooperCuperErik
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by AWD_Rally
I wonder if that would cause more lift underneath the hood? More air allowed, more air pressure; seems like there would be more lift. I don't if that's a concern or not with that hood, but aero can mess up MPGs.
Considering the hood scoop is open, and the bottom of the engine bay isn't covered, I don't see too much lift or high pressure under the hood. I know what you're saying because when air comes into the cowl in the rear of the bay it swirls forward and under the hood. IIRC the vent openenings for the cowl are already exposed to "area under the hood". Of course this is all conceptual and based on aerodynamics a wind tunnel would be the best way to test the flow characteristics of the fluid, but it isn't worth it imo because the difference is going to be pretty minimal if anything, anyways. Just trying to go outside of the box/against the grain in what many people here are doing everyday by going straight to vendor market advertising. Water wouldn't be anymore of an issue imo than the hoodscoop being open.

Old 03-18-2011 | 07:59 AM
AWD_Rally
I'm sure it'll work out fine. Not like you're hitting 90+ mph on a daily basis, then it might be an issue if there was lift.

Post some pics when you're done!

Old 03-18-2011 | 08:50 AM
SooperCuperErik
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by AWD_Rally
Not like you're hitting 90+ mph on a daily basis
..................uhhhhhhhhh =x

Old 03-18-2011 | 09:52 AM
AWD_Rally
Yous be bad!

Old 03-18-2011 | 11:15 AM
AkFarina
Banned
YOu should erase that before the mods get pissy and lock your post

Old 03-18-2011 | 11:36 AM
SooperCuperErik
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by AkFarina
YOu should erase that before the mods get pissy and lock your post
didn't admit to anything. just said uhh.
plus, who said i am not a race car driver tracking the car everyday

Old 03-18-2011 | 11:49 AM
AWD_Rally
Originally Posted by SooperCuperErik
who said i am not a race car driver tracking the car everyday