Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Recirculation (DV/BOV) valve.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Hank Rearden
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
Its actually an electronic solenoid which keeps the valve open or closed, the spring assists in the returning of the valve. If you remove the valve and blow on it you will see the punger can not make an air tight seal against the tapered seal ring. Take it out and test it. air doesnt travel through the holes, the holes are to remove air resistance during the action of opening and closing. You wont know their is a leak until you test it as by ecu if there is an internal leak the ecu will leave the waste gate closed to achieve target boost. The plunger does not make an air tight seal against the tapered ring becaue the ring isnt a true circle

I test it, and messure it, thats why I am telling you this, but it is OK, I don't want to start an argue here.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Hank Rearden
1st Gear
Its actually an electronic solenoid which keeps the valve open or closed, the spring assists in the returning of the valve. If you remove the valve and blow on it you will see the punger can not make an air tight seal against the tapered seal ring. Take it out and test it. air doesnt travel through the holes, the holes are to remove air resistance during the action of opening and closing. You wont know their is a leak until you test it as by ecu if there is an internal leak the ecu will leave the waste gate closed to achieve target boost. The plunger does not make an air tight seal against the tapered ring becaue the ring isnt a true circle, on top of the there is no rubber seal around the piston, it cannot be pressure tight. the plunger doesnt actually go in the bypass hole it sits against the hole lip. The factory valve has a tapered rubber seal which fits into a groove on the compressor housing.

"The plunger does not make an air tight seal against the tapered ring becaue the ring isnt a true circle"

Right!! that's were the mistake is, the plunger is the one that must seal to the bottom of the hole in the turbo, not the tapered ring, the 4 mm difference in between the plunger and the ring must be respected, not pushed.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Hank Rearden
1st Gear
The same way you don't need to push the oem valve to make it fit.
Is not the tapered ring were the valve sits, is the plunger.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There is no argument, i returned mine because or no air tight seal as i tried for about a week to get it to seal. That valve plastic ring would seal as the casting of the ring is not circular. I run 21psi and lost spool as it caused an internal link. Like i said before its not a bad mod. In my findings in no position of the piston travel would it seal.

If you look at the drawing i made (horrible i know) the leak isnt from the plunger, its is from the tapered pieace of plastic which is the ring. Even if you can get the plunger to seal, the leak is internal to the valve itself. I tested it this way:

Extend the plunger to its seated position simply blow on the plunger itself, the leak comes from the plastic ring which wraps around the plunger.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Hank Rearden
1st Gear

Find a way to make an spacer of 4mm and you will see thats there is no leak,

Old 09-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Hank Rearden
1st Gear
There is no argument, i returned mine because or no air tight seal as i tried for about a week to get it to seal. That valve plastic ring would seal as the casting of the ring is not circular. I run 21psi and lost spool as it caused an internal link. Like i said before its not a bad mod. In my findings in no position of the piston travel would it seal.

If you blown air through the plunger in its relaxed position there is no leak, if you blown air with the plunger at the same level of the ring, there is a leak. At least is what happened when I tried.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Hank Rearden
1st Gear
I find this because I had make a custom made seat to for the DV on a TD04-13T turbo from a WRX.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
That picture looks like a peugot207 gti engine bay, You are mis understanding me, you have to actually take the valve apart to see the tapered ring im referring to. The rubber diaphram is what makes the factory valve air tight(so pressure which passes through the vent holes in the plunger does not escape through the valve). VAG internally is not air tight.

Originally Posted by Hank Rearden
I find this because I had make a custom made seat to for the DV on a TD04-13T turbo from a WRX.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Thats the ring im referring to.

Name:  20t_dv_oem_d_005.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  46.0 KB

Old 09-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Hank Rearden
1st Gear
Thats the ring im referring to.

Understood. I will take apart the valve and see, may be you are right, and the VAG valve is not as air tight as the oem one in that part, so imagine how much more leak happens if the plunger doesn't seats the way it was designed, which is the way I find everybody install it.
Did you understand what I mean regarding the differences in height and the right way to install it ?
May be for a standard Borgwarner turbo 180-225 hp the oem valve works, but trust me I couldn't find a way to make it work well in my setup (270 bhp) and I find the VAG valve problem free

Old 09-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Luckily you guys dont have MAF's. Turbo swaps here are more work than they're worth. You will see what i mean with that plastic ring, if you take it apart you ll see how it aligns with the piston.

Yeah i know what you are saying but the part im talking about cant be air tight.

I have run 21psi with no issues what so ever. I have the oem jcw valve

BTW:

Fito Paez es uno de mis artistas favoritos

Last edited by Bigprfed22; 09-28-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Hank Rearden
1st Gear
Luckily you guys dont have MAF's. Turbo swaps here are more work than they're worth. You will see what i mean with that plastic ring, if you take it apart you ll see how it aligns with the piston.

Yeah i know what you are saying but the part im talking about cant be air tight.

BTW:

Ja! well his going to give a show this weekend in a big park here, Buenos Aires (hablas español?)

Old 09-28-2012, 02:51 PM
Hank Rearden
1st Gear

BTW:

I´m not finished tuning it, DV failure was a pain in the neck, now with the problems solved, may be next week i´ll finish it.
Now the problem I find is how to control pressure peaks. 23+psi.
I want to keep it between 18 and 22.
Some say a MBC can be installed (in parallel to the wastgate) some say it can´t, because our wastgate works with vacuum and not pressure, I don´t know..

Old 09-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Soy originalmente de Puerto Rico, mi hermano es un fanatico loci de Fito. Yo fui con el para España en el 2010 para ver lo en Madrid.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Factory turbo wastegates do work off of vacuum, you could user a pressure actuated gate to a manual boost controller(since you have a mitsu turbo), but dont disconnect the wastegate vacuum solenoid, that way the ecu thinks it is still working. That might work.

I´m not finished tuning it, DV failure was a pain in the neck, now with the problems solved, may be next week i´ll finish it.
Now the problem I find is how to control pressure peaks. 23+psi.
I want to keep it between 18 and 22.
Some say a MBC can be installed (in parallel to the wastgate) some say it can´t, because our wastgate works with vacuum and not pressure, I don´t know..

Last edited by Bigprfed22; 09-28-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:40 AM
teamrodney
2nd Gear
Some say a MBC can be installed
I believe there is a thread on this very subject on the RMW forum

Old 11-20-2014, 08:13 AM
polizzi
1st Gear
I have a Forge recurculating valve on my mini and I see a reliable steady difference since I installed it 8 months ago, I'm happy not to hear the beloved woodshed every Damn gear change