Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Best exhaust with the best hp increase.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011 | 02:55 PM
cop1406
4th Gear
I did the JCW exhaust for sound and maybe small performance. Same with JCW intake. With the Alta Access Port, I should be at about 225 bhp. Car still appears to be completely stock for warranty purposes.

Car is a totally different animal with the Alta tune....

Larry

Old 04-18-2011 | 02:56 PM
badinfluence
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
UNICHIP was proven to be a disaster

So bringing a cylinder from say 60% and you add intake and exhaust and you'll bring it to 75%. Sad part of that story is with N/A cars its very near impossible to get 100% VE

Why do i bring this up you may ask?

The "sister" statement is true but on a turbo car its not as "mandatory" or neccesary.

Turbo cars run in boost, the second you go from 0 inches mercury to 1 psi you have achieved 100%+ VE and your just jamming air in the system.

CAI(COLD air intake) is pretty much non existant for a turbo car. The second the air goes through the charger/s and is compressed it will heat up. They are done for more noise than anything.

most bolt on mods available for the mini are just for personal satisfaction.
The Defenders of Speed Cold Air Intake (CAI) is specifically designed for the new, turbocharged MINI Cooper S to maximize air induction and is a first step in maximizing combustion while aiding in reduction of inlet temperatures.
Our system pulls air from the factory air hose as well as the large, isolated, empty void behind the bulkhead panel between the brake master cylinder and the battery via a completely enclosed filter system.
The area where the hood meets the windshield is a high pressure zone at speed. This high pressure zone dumps cool air into the low pressure area behind the MINI's bulkhead panel through the factory air inlet vents at the hoodline via cowl induction*. (*A principle re-discovered and touted by GM in 1963 and used successfully to this day on race and street vehicles). Thus, with the DoS R55, R56, & R57 Turbo/"S" CAI system, a constant cool intake air supply is available to the intake.
Repeated dyno testing has shown that the Dos CAI system nets a consistent 6-to-12 whp (dependent upon other modifications) while improving engine response throughout the powerband. This kit also provides one of the slickest looking installs for the money of the many CAI options that currently exist for the R55, R56, & R57 Cooper S.

Old 04-18-2011 | 03:21 PM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Originally Posted by badinfluence
The Defenders of Speed Cold Air Intake (CAI) is specifically designed for the new, turbocharged MINI Cooper S to maximize air induction and is a first step in maximizing combustion while aiding in reduction of inlet temperatures.
Our system pulls air from the factory air hose as well as the large, isolated, empty void behind the bulkhead panel between the brake master cylinder and the battery via a completely enclosed filter system.
The area where the hood meets the windshield is a high pressure zone at speed. This high pressure zone dumps cool air into the low pressure area behind the MINI's bulkhead panel through the factory air inlet vents at the hoodline via cowl induction*. (*A principle re-discovered and touted by GM in 1963 and used successfully to this day on race and street vehicles). Thus, with the DoS R55, R56, & R57 Turbo/"S" CAI system, a constant cool intake air supply is available to the intake.
Repeated dyno testing has shown that the Dos CAI system nets a consistent 6-to-12 whp (dependent upon other modifications) while improving engine response throughout the powerband. This kit also provides one of the slickest looking installs for the money of the many CAI options that currently exist for the R55, R56, & R57 Cooper S.
Did you just cut and paste this from the manufacturer's website? Sure looks like it...

Old 04-18-2011 | 03:28 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Marketing and sales has ruined the pursuit of knowledge...

You link now ill link

http://www.amazon.com/Induction-Perf.../dp/1859606911

Old 04-18-2011 | 03:59 PM
badinfluence
1st Gear

You link now ill link

My link was sarcasm but I will read yours when I am in front of a computer (not sarcasm)

Old 04-18-2011 | 04:18 PM
silhouette88
5th Gear

You link now ill link

I'm waiting for the book on How to Tweak Diverter Valve Compression, written by The Spring F***ing Master.

Old 04-18-2011 | 04:57 PM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
I had the JCW stage one tuning kit on my car and it's performance gains were marginal at best. The exhaust sounds good but looking back I can't justify the cost for what I actually got.

This graph shows the JCW inatke, exhaust and tune from the stage one kit vs the JCW intake, exhaust and AP tune. Not much difference from what people get from a AP tune and a stock MCS

Old 04-18-2011 | 05:48 PM
cop1406
4th Gear
I paid 195.00 for my stage one intake, 400 for my stage one exhaust, and 750 for my Access port for a total of 1345. Still way less money for much more horsepower. I am assuming the 190 number is at the wheels thus making about 225 crank horsepower assuming 18 percent drive-train loss. It definitely feels like much more horsepower. I loaded back my stock tune this week and was amazed how much slower the car is. The AP tune is worth every dollar.

Old 04-18-2011 | 06:27 PM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by cop1406
I paid 195.00 for my stage one intake, 400 for my stage one exhaust, and 750 for my Access port for a total of 1345. Still way less money for much more horsepower. I am assuming the 190 number is at the wheels thus making about 225 crank horsepower assuming 18 percent drive-train loss. It definitely feels like much more horsepower. I loaded back my stock tune this week and was amazed how much slower the car is. The AP tune is worth every dollar.
Oh by far. The ability to tune your R56 is the best investment you can make and should be the first power mod on anyone's list

Yeah that 190 is at the wheels on the heartbreak mustang dyno. Big improvement over stock though.

If it's sound your after the JCW is nice. For power I would go with an aftermarket turbo back. We made some good power off ours.

Old 04-18-2011 | 06:44 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
Mike, thats an awesome dyno graph thanks and answers alot of questions i had. i have a stage 1 jcw and always wanted to know how much power they made stock then how much i would get with an AP. now just hurry up and release a AP that will work with Aussie cars!

also are you staying a stage 1 jcw makes as much power as a stock cooper S with an AP?

Thanks.

Old 04-18-2011 | 06:55 PM
cop1406
4th Gear
Originally Posted by turtle343
Mike, thats an awesome dyno graph thanks and answers alot of questions i had. i have a stage 1 jcw and always wanted to know how much power they made stock then how much i would get with an AP. now just hurry up and release a AP that will work with Aussie cars!

also are you staying a stage 1 jcw makes as much power as a stock cooper S with an AP?

Thanks.
A stock MCS with a JCW stage 1 will be about 195bhp whereas a stock MCS with an AP stage 1 tune is good for about 225bhp.

Old 04-18-2011 | 07:51 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
I was talking wheel HP sorry.

Old 04-18-2011 | 08:09 PM
badinfluence
1st Gear
SO what do you all think about the Stramosphere? I am afraid it will be too loud...

Old 04-18-2011 | 08:10 PM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor

Thanks.
Yeah from what I have seen most AP tuned stock R56 MCS's can put out anywhere from 185- 200 WHP depending on the type of dyno and load used.

Both my MCS and another customers MCS that had the stage one tuned with the AP put out around 190 WHP on the same dyno. Not really a worth wile difference over stock cars with tunes.

Last edited by Mike@Tech Division; 04-18-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-18-2011 | 09:34 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
thanks. i bet the AP tuned cars have a better powerband though. the jcw tuning kit must be pretty much obsolete now.

Old 04-18-2011 | 09:39 PM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
thanks. i bet the AP tuned cars have a better powerband though. the jcw tuning kit must be pretty much obsolete now.
Yeah it's kinda pointless for power considering the cost.

Old 04-18-2011 | 10:52 PM
Underoath
1st Gear
What parts make the JCW better then the MCS? What parts are needed to make the same if not more power? Also i'd stick with what I said about a 3" straight pipe catback, cheap, light, will make just as much if no more power then any aftermarket CB and if my pregnant girl likes it and can tollerate it then so can all of you .

Old 04-19-2011 | 07:09 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Lower comp pistons(1pt lower compression), peripherals (intake, exhaust,sensors etc...) , turbo charger, Factory tune. Thats it drivetrainwise.

Block and head are the same.

This question needs to be answered by the folks that know

Originally Posted by Underoath
What parts make the JCW better then the MCS? What parts are needed to make the same if not more power? Also i'd stick with what I said about a 3" straight pipe catback, cheap, light, will make just as much if no more power then any aftermarket CB and if my pregnant girl likes it and can tollerate it then so can all of you .

Last edited by Bigprfed22; 04-19-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-19-2011 | 08:41 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Underoath
you treat that lady right now, hear? she sounds like a gem...

Old 04-19-2011 | 10:37 PM
krim
5th Gear
Originally Posted by manaloc
I read it today on nam's forum where one of the members states that there is no difference between stock cai vs jcw cai. Is that true? Should I just get a new filter?
Krim, why did you go back to stock box?

There were a few reasons, let me say, I have ZERO scientific proof. It's all butt dyno, my DJ impaired hearing and pen & paper.

-Open filter + invidia q300 = drones hard at freeway speeds, it's fairly quiet now.
-I got tired of the hissing after 2 years.
-Average mpg went up by almost 2
-Stronger 6th gear passing, lags slightly more though
-DSC light comes on again during certain times, since nothing else changed, I assume i've regained torque.

I have/had early versions (circa '08/'09) of certain "CAI" and there were (some lasting) issues with fitment. I don't want a dyno posting war nor will I start a ABC vs XYZ manufacturer.

If I had to do it again, I would definitely stay away from open filters, in the SoCal heat performance suffered. That leaves you with 2 or 3 designs.

This is all my opinion, others share it in some form so I won't go into it more.

Old 04-19-2011 | 11:11 PM
Underoath
1st Gear
Originally Posted by krim
There were a few reasons, let me say, I have ZERO scientific proof. It's all butt dyno, my DJ impaired hearing and pen & paper.

-Open filter + invidia q300 = drones hard at freeway speeds, it's fairly quiet now.
-I got tired of the hissing after 2 years.
-Average mpg went up by almost 2
-Stronger 6th gear passing, lags slightly more though
-DSC light comes on again during certain times, since nothing else changed, I assume i've regained torque.

I have/had early versions (circa '08/'09) of certain "CAI" and there were (some lasting) issues with fitment. I don't want a dyno posting war nor will I start a ABC vs XYZ manufacturer.

If I had to do it again, I would definitely stay away from open filters, in the SoCal heat performance suffered. That leaves you with 2 or 3 designs.

This is all my opinion, others share it in some form so I won't go into it more.

thats what I thought also after thinking about buying the alta intake, Its just as hot here in texas so it would just suck in all that hot air from the engine bay, glad i ordered the alta drop in filter instead

Old 04-20-2011 | 06:13 AM
etalj
6th Gear
Lower comp pistons(1pt lower compression):
I thought it was only half a point (11 vs 10.5) ?

Old 04-20-2011 | 06:59 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
You are right

Coops 10.5:1

jcw 10.0:1

http://www.miniusanews.com/web/admin...an%20Specs.pdf

Originally Posted by etalj
I thought it was only half a point (11 vs 10.5) ?

Old 04-20-2011 | 07:02 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
oh its coming

Originally Posted by silhouette88
I'm waiting for the book on How to Tweak Diverter Valve Compression, written by The Spring F***ing Master.

Old 04-20-2011 | 10:09 AM
etalj
6th Gear
You are right

Coops 10.5:1

jcw 10.0:1

http://www.miniusanews.com/web/admin...an%20Specs.pdf
a rare occurence

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Best exhaust with the best hp increase.