Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Best exhaust with the best hp increase.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011 | 01:50 AM
manaloc
|
1st Gear
Best exhaust with the best hp increase.

I was wondering if I could get a recommendation on what I should buy to improve my hp. I was thinking about getting the jcw full length exhaust or turbo back exhaust from another company.

I want an exhaust that it's not going to be terribly loud. And definitely I don't want it to sound like a honda civic. I have the AP as well as the rmw tuning on my 2010 mcsa. I also recently installed the helix intercooler. Before I got my IC, Jan was able to get my car to 197hp.

I live in socal, so I want to make sure I can pass my smog test in the future.

I was thinking about the wmw turbo back exhaust, but I couldn't find too much information on it. I read over almost all of nam's forums, but I'm still having a difficult time. Based on what I read, I know for sure I don't want the jcw exhaust tips and alta exhaust. And I don't want stratmosphere, because I think it would be loud for me.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated. I want to make my modification soon.

Old 04-17-2011 | 04:32 AM
Stryker305
1st Gear
Most aftermarket systems will give you drone, are you prepared for that?

Unless you go with a system like akrapovic which is expensive.

Exhaust don't add a lot of hp to a vehicle, under 10 hp if they say you can get more you better think twice.

Exhaust mod is more of a sound mod instead of performance mod

Some full systems are a bit lighter then others but you won't notice the difference unless your a professional race car driver

IMO the JCW exhaust is the best of both worlds, it has no drone and the performance is gonna be really close to that of an aftermarket system

Hope that helps good luck

Old 04-17-2011 | 09:08 AM
manaloc
|
1st Gear
Thanks for the info Stryker. I want to do the full exhaust system. I should get extra hp that way right? I want to have a stage 3 car and retune with rmw. Are you recommending jcw full length exhaust?

Last edited by manaloc; 04-17-2011 at 09:10 AM. Reason: add more.
Old 04-17-2011 | 09:13 AM
manaloc
|
1st Gear
I was hoping to get a sleeper car with power. I don't know if the sleeper car is the right terminology.

Old 04-17-2011 | 06:32 PM
Underoath
1st Gear
buying a catted down pipe isnt worth the money for little gains since they cost 500+, just get 3" straight pipe from the catback, it cost me 125$, same hp increase if not more then any catback that you can buy but much lighter and much cheaper, has slight drone, doesnt sound like a honda because it is a turbo car and not NA. If you want it quiet with power then just add a 3" magnaflow muffler or res for like 50-70$.

Old 04-17-2011 | 07:55 PM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
I just installed a Remus sport exhaust on my Clubman...LOVE IT! No drone.

I posted a complete review here on NAM. They make one for the R56 as well.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-s-review.html

Old 04-17-2011 | 08:16 PM
silhouette88
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Stryker305

IMO the JCW exhaust is the best of both worlds, it has no drone and the performance is gonna be really close to that of an aftermarket system

Hope that helps good luck
+1 on everything Stryker said. I had the JCW full exhaust installed a few months after Jan tuned my car and I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference in power. But the sound...O M G...I know exhaust sounds are very subjective but I really like the sound of the JCW. It's pretty quiet when you're just puttering around town. If you give it 1/3 to 1/2 throttle it opens up and growls. But it's never obnoxious, and it definitely doesn't drone.

I also think the JCW "tips" look great.

Good luck.

Old 04-17-2011 | 08:43 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Underoath
buying a catted down pipe isnt worth the money for little gains since they cost 500+, just get 3" straight pipe from the catback, it cost me 125$, same hp increase if not more then any catback that you can buy but much lighter and much cheaper, has slight drone, doesnt sound like a honda because it is a turbo car and not NA. If you want it quiet with power then just add a 3" magnaflow muffler or res for like 50-70$.
ive got the JCW stage 1 exhaust fitted with a ceramic Riss Racing catted DP. i did notice a lot more top end power but only with the butt dyno . the sound is stock which is awesome but at WOT at around 2500-4000 RPM it sounds like a VTEC honda. above that stock but much louder, a bit like a r32 golf and it pops and crackles on the over run and pops really loud with every gear change.no drone at all. i really love it. i have only every had the stage 1 JCW so i wouldnt know what difference the exhaust would make over a stock S but when i added the catted DP it did make a big power difference. i bought it 2nd hand too so it was really cheap.

Old 04-17-2011 | 11:53 PM
manaloc
|
1st Gear
Thank for all the suggestions. I need to look into remus. I'm leaning toward jcw full exhaust. Douglas, how much did you pay for installation and parts for the jcw full exhaust and installation? I was able to get a quote from an independent mini shop for $995 + tax.

Old 04-17-2011 | 11:58 PM
manaloc
|
1st Gear
Thanks everyone. And thanks underoath and slimjim for your suggestions. I want more hp, but I guess I could make other modifications. I need to get a cold air intake.

Old 04-18-2011 | 12:08 AM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Originally Posted by manaloc
Thanks everyone. And thanks underoath and slimjim for your suggestions. I want more hp, but I guess I could make other modifications. I need to get a cold air intake.
Stick with the JCW intake.

Old 04-18-2011 | 08:52 AM
silhouette88
5th Gear
Thank for all the suggestions. I need to look into remus. I'm leaning toward jcw full exhaust. Douglas, how much did you pay for installation and parts for the jcw full exhaust and installation? I was able to get a quote from an independent mini shop for $995 + tax.
Mine came to $830 installed. The dealerships will usually knock 20% off their list price if you ask. $995 sounds a bit high for an indy shop to me.

Old 04-18-2011 | 09:05 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
http://vimeo.com/22124043 My custom invidia And it barley drones. Welded 1 pc from the DP back.

Last edited by Bigprfed22; 04-18-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-18-2011 | 09:06 AM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
besides the dealer,where can one buy a JCW exhaust?

Old 04-18-2011 | 10:52 AM
krim
5th Gear
I was hoping to get a sleeper car with power. I don't know if the sleeper car is the right terminology.

IMO, If you want to be sleeper, get the JCW front pipe, you'll lose the 2nd cat restriction. I'd have done that if i were to do it all over again.

$380 from pelican, part# 18307587361, save the removed section in case you need it for smog (though, i hear CA is going to OBDC testing instead of sniffer)

i've gone thru 4 intakes and i'm back to stock box w/ new panel filter. ymmv

Old 04-18-2011 | 11:00 AM
manaloc
|
1st Gear
I read it today on nam's forum where one of the members states that there is no difference between stock cai vs jcw cai. Is that true? Should I just get a new filter?
Krim, why did you go back to stock box?

Old 04-18-2011 | 11:35 AM
manaloc
|
1st Gear
I read it today on nam's forum where one of the members states that there is no difference between stock cai vs jcw cai. Is that true? Should I just get a new filter?

Old 04-18-2011 | 12:00 PM
cop1406
4th Gear
They are completely different internally. Performance wise is probably minor but it is a OEM MINI product.

Old 04-18-2011 | 12:36 PM
david in germany
5th Gear
The stock JCW box and the MCS box are the same, no difference.

Originally Posted by cop1406
They are completely different internally. Performance wise is probably minor but it is a OEM MINI product.
You are thinking of the JCW stage 1. The JCW stage 1 is a bit taller and takes a conical filter element. A totally different design than the MCS/JCW box.

Old 04-18-2011 | 01:00 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
I'm in CA... plus mix and match JCW "kit" and "factory"

the JCW factory exhaust interestingly IS stock on a CA car, including that cat delete. Presumably they can do it since the main front cat is still there. If you will, the rear is just a "clean up" cat of sorts. Importantly, the rear one has no fore and aft O2 sensors, so it isn't monitored in the OBDII set up either.

I've done the JCW exhaust conversion, and very happy w/ it. To be clear, the "factory" one in this case, not the "kit"/Stage 1 one. Just like on the intake, these vary somewhat too, particularly in the front/resonator section. Posts seem to suggest less (no) drone noted on the factory one than the kit one, including one or two members who had tried both.

On the other hand, as is also coming out in the posts, I did use the JCW "kit" intake, since only that one (and not the factory JCW set up) gets to the cone filter set up w/ the larger effective surface area. But switching back the other way, I also changed the intake pipe from the airbox to the turbo inlet from the stock S rubber one to the stock JCW hard plastic one. All this mix and matching was combined w/ the Alta AP, in general as a way to use factory/JCW parts where sensible and to reduce visibility/issues w/ mods during balance of warranty. Fewer $$ still overall than the full JCW kit, plus ability to mix and match and DIY, and a likely higher power result than the JCW kit too.

Originally Posted by krim
IMO, If you want to be sleeper, get the JCW front pipe, you'll lose the 2nd cat restriction. I'd have done that if i were to do it all over again.

$380 from pelican, part# 18307587361, save the removed section in case you need it for smog (though, i hear CA is going to OBDC testing instead of sniffer)

i've gone thru 4 intakes and i'm back to stock box w/ new panel filter. ymmv

Last edited by MP1.6T; 04-18-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-18-2011 | 01:09 PM
badinfluence
1st Gear
Every mod has a sister mod. For example, the stock system is designed to work at the max safe stock parameters. If you add a CAI, like the DOS one I have, you are changing the formula. Now you need to balence, buy adding a Exhaust. Now that you have an exhaust, your ECU's tune is working at 85% efficiancy and so on. The best thing to ask yourself, is How can I get the most life out of my car, and also get a nice tune, sound, and not have it fail. I recommend the following
+Upgrade the Turbo cooling. (Change your heatshield, and add an air diverter)
+Upgrade your CAI to something that is very popular (The more popular, the more problems and solutions are documented) (I recommend DOS)
+Upgrade your exhaust, but concider just modifying what you have. (I had someone explain a way to remove the 2nd cat for about 30 bucks and 2 hours worth of work.
+Get some more power out of your setup, but also try to save some green on gas. (Aftermarket ECU, rather than flash) You may want to go back to stock. (Unichip with 93 octane for example)

Old 04-18-2011 | 01:13 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Old 04-18-2011 | 01:31 PM
badinfluence
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
My main point is to ask yourself, How far can I go before I get in to deep. With regard to what I was saying about the intake, some people just know cars. It has to be in there blood. You can't go completely off everyone else's opinions. Just think about how far you want to go, then set a plan and go.

English is my second langauge, Computers is my first.

Old 04-18-2011 | 01:32 PM
cop1406
4th Gear
You are thinking of the JCW stage 1. The JCW stage 1 is a bit taller and takes a conical filter element. A totally different design than the MCS/JCW box.[/QUOTE]

You are correct. I forgot that MINI did not supply the JCW stage 1 intake with the factory JCW car. Go figure.

Old 04-18-2011 | 01:47 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
UNICHIP was proven to be a disaster

Your not wrong in your methodology... your just thinking N/A

In an N/A car you are improveing the VE(volumetric effeciency) of the engine by giving more in and letting more out.

So bringing a cylinder from say 60% and you add intake and exhaust and you'll bring it to 75%. Sad part of that story is with N/A cars its very near impossible to get 100% VE

Why do i bring this up you may ask?

The "sister" statement is true but on a turbo car its not as "mandatory" or neccesary.

Turbo cars run in boost, the second you go from 0 inches mercury to 1 psi you have achieved 100%+ VE and your just jamming air in the system.

CAI(COLD air intake) is pretty much non existant for a turbo car. The second the air goes through the charger/s and is compressed it will heat up. They are done for more noise than anything.

Unless you have a turbo back exhaust your not gonna see substantial gains as the smallest part of your system and theCat/'s is/are your choke point.

The mini ECU is self adaptive to a certain percentage... this mean when you throw on a cai , exhaust , whatever it may be the system will adapt and make corrections for the leaning conditions

most bolt on mods available for the mini are just for personal satisfaction.

Unless you run more boost your not gonna make that much more power if any.

Originally Posted by badinfluence
My main point is to ask yourself, How far can I go before I get in to deep. With regard to what I was saying about the intake, some people just know cars. It has to be in there blood. You can't go completely off everyone else's opinions. Just think about how far you want to go, then set a plan and go.

English is my second langauge, Computers is my first.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Best exhaust with the best hp increase.