Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Alta AP, down pipe, or fmic first?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011 | 10:58 PM
11cooperS
|
2nd Gear
Alta AP, down pipe, or fmic first?

Trying to decide which to do first. Logic points to the Alta AP but I never drive my car hard and wonder if I might just appreciate less heat soak and or better spool up in my daily commute more than outright hp.

A twist in this is that I have the NM Engineering springs and I sort of want to go ahead and get the rear sway and some koni fsd's so that my suspension work is done, and then I begin the performance route....

I appreciate your input.

Old 04-19-2011 | 12:27 AM
bk_mini
2nd Gear
for me.. get the AP.. you will really enjoy it.. then fmic...

Old 04-19-2011 | 02:02 AM
11cooperS
|
2nd Gear
Just posted my findings in the access port thread... The 2011 is apparently not an access port car yet. I'll correct this if a change occurs. I found one for a great deal but am still wondering whether to get it from Alta for a similar price (hopefully, if it does work on the 2011)

Old 04-19-2011 | 06:37 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Just my $0.02...
Engine side.

Intercooler first. There is no point upping the boost with the AP if the intake temps can't be kept under control. The stock IC is woefully small, and not up to the task. Yes the AP will make the car faster for the first 5 mins of driving, but when the intake temp gets way up there, you lose any power you gained..

I've got the RMW tune, Alta intercooler, and just added the Way Motorworks bypass valve. It works really well. The BPV is a really neat thing. It spools much better now, and for $60ish you can't go wrong.

Suspension:

if I'm not mistaken, you can't/shouldn't use the FSD's with any lowering spring. If you are going to lower the car, use the Koni sport, or Bilstein's.

I've got the Koni sports with TSW springs, hsport rear bar. Works really well. I've got the Hotchkis adjustable rear arms waiting to go on, but it really doesn't need them...

Old 04-19-2011 | 10:33 PM
11cooperS
|
2nd Gear
Your advice helped a lot. I bought an ALTA FMIC new in box, and stealth black on eBay for 550 shipped which saved me enough money to order an Eibach rear sway and jcw side scuttles, which are two things I've been wanting.

Good point on the fmic. I come from dsm cars and a 335 and all of those cars were so much more pleasurable with an upgraded ic.

I have heard great things about wmw and will check their site after a few beers

Old 04-20-2011 | 10:34 PM
MattyKHZ
3rd Gear
Guess the question is what are you likely to do to your car, how much you want to spend etc

Conventional wisdom was remap last as it basically tunes the car to everything you have done. If you have enough money, you can do a mod followed by a remap, do another followed by another remap etc.

As we do not have the AP in the UK, if we did I would get it 1st as you can do all the remaps you need from the unit at the initial cost. So fitting it will give you instant gain. If you get a FMIC, change the map and more gain, TBE the same etc etc.

I am having to wait for a FMIC to arrive, then get a JCW Turbo fitted, fit JCW manifold and then remap. At least the FMIC is the only item I am waiting for so it should be here soon.....

Old 04-20-2011 | 11:50 PM
11cooperS
|
2nd Gear
I found out the '11 doesn't, as if yet, have ap tubing available.

I got the fmic and a rear sway instead. Loving the idea of someday getting the AP... Possibly not for a while though.

Is the mcs trackable with just an Alta panel filter and fmic? I have excellent wheels/tires and suspension mods already for how modest of a driver I am on the street.

Old 04-21-2011 | 02:30 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
You guys are right, the AccessPORT doesn't work on the 2011 MCS, sorry! You're on the right route with the FMIC, it'll help a lot just by itself.

The car will drive great on the track with the FMIC and filter. You can even drive the car stock on a lapping day, but it wouldn't be as fun!