Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain If you have a stage 3 alta tune I'd like your opinion..

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011 | 09:15 AM
Mini Coupe
|
2nd Gear
If you have a stage 3 alta tune I'd like your opinion..

So, first off.. Thanks in advance for your input, this particular issue has been bothering me for a long while now... (About 5000 miles)

Ever since I installed my alta parts (FMIC, hot side boost tube, turbo back exhaust, and ap stage 3 tune with linear throttle) Ive been driving with my windows down all the time.. The reason for this is because:

1) When the AC is on I feel my car drive completely differently.. The throttle response is not nearly as touchy, I like it touchy... yes I am aware that the AC puts drag on the engine, but the difference is more than just noticeable.

2) When I come to a complete stop the rpm's will fluctuate by about a 200 rpm curve about every 4 seconds. This is not constant but more random..

At this point as it is coming up on summer time I am debating weather I should try out a RMW tune.. I know here in Florida it will be raining a bit more now..

Also on a side note, Id like to add that when I switched to the non liner throttle map the other day, I found my car to be un-drivable. mainly because my car was going all out at maybe a quarter pedal..

Thanks
Adam

Old 05-04-2011 | 07:15 AM
MINIutia
3rd Gear
Alta Stage 3 tune

Contact Alta and explain that you have the idle issue. They will send you a tune with the fix. Also ask for the "super-linear" throttle settings in the tune and that you want this set to both the sport and non-sport button modes, this will give you the "touchy" throttle you are seeking.

Old 05-04-2011 | 08:12 AM
Mini Coupe
|
2nd Gear
I am aware that they have an idle fix I just have to get my build number off my AP before I email them.

About the throttle response, its perfect with just the linear throttle mapping, however once the ac goes on that goes out the window... to the point where when i drive my car as i would if the ac was off, it chokes every time i come out of first..

Old 05-04-2011 | 08:40 AM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Mini Coupe
I am aware that they have an idle fix I just have to get my build number off my AP before I email them.

About the throttle response, its perfect with just the linear throttle mapping, however once the ac goes on that goes out the window... to the point where when i drive my car as i would if the ac was off, it chokes every time i come out of first..
The ECU uses multiple maps under different situations to operate the engine. It does switch to a differnt map when the AC is on to hanlde the added load. It's possble that this is changing the the way the throttle operates since it is also controlled by the ECU. Alta should be able to adjust their map to compensate, but at the same time you may have to have a little give and take when it comes to the car and what situations you have the best performance.

Old 05-04-2011 | 11:48 AM
SnugNuts
2nd Gear
Ill have all my stage 3 parts on by tomorrow or friday, ill let you know how it goes when i get it. How is the power difference from a stage 1? I just put the stage one on friday, and it feels like a whole nother car, i can't wait to see what this thing does

Old 05-04-2011 | 11:50 AM
Mini Coupe
|
2nd Gear
Congratulations! I never got a chance to put on stage one, but i can tell you that going from stock to stage 3 was mind blowing.

Old 05-04-2011 | 12:04 PM
SnugNuts
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Coupe
Congratulations! I never got a chance to put on stage one, but i can tell you that going from stock to stage 3 was mind blowing.
Same, i went from getting smoked by a stage 1 GTI to keeping up with a turbo s2k

Old 05-04-2011 | 12:59 PM
Mini Coupe
|
2nd Gear
Youll be surprised by stage 3. Especially if you get all the parts on, drive it on stock map, then switch to stage 3... thats what I did and WOW... Yesterday I raced a Neon SRT4 with mods and it was dead even, we pulled maybe 6 or 7 times, and every time it was just dead on.. mind you that guy had no clue how to drive, bouncing off the rev limiter in every gear, but thats the great thing about our cars.. instead of starting a race at 5000 rpm, i start at about 3500 so even though they get a second jump on me, when their shifting im still goin hard!

Old 05-04-2011 | 02:06 PM
SnugNuts
2nd Gear
how fast of a roll were you doing and what gear were you in

i was about 4-5k in second doing a 45 roll

Old 05-04-2011 | 02:16 PM
Mini Coupe
|
2nd Gear
The only one that I remember was 55 in third. But the rest, he just got up next to me while I was cruising and when I heard him downshift I hit third and went. I don't often race with first or second gear in order to conserve rubber on my tires. I won't break traction in 3rd unless I go over a bump in the road while at max boost. Except this one time, but I think that had something to do with the traction control failing because it was definitely on and I still lost traction nasty in 3rd passing someone.