Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Oil Catch Cans let me know what you think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011 | 11:18 AM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rohicks
Well i think the discussion does apply somewhat. Seeing as we are trying to figure out the difference between the N18 and N14 engines. This could affect the design process for this company's product if they want to appeal to 2011+ MINI owners.
lol, ok valid point my bad. But still half of the stuff here is on a ton of other threads too so thats what I'm getting at its the same discussions over and over thats what I'm referring to.

Old 05-26-2011 | 11:38 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
How does it make no sense

That line is not in vacuum all the time, so let me correct you there as the line to the intake manifold sees positive pressures from boost once boost begins.(try data logging if you want to verify but this is common functionality when it comes to forced induction engines.)

Not to point the finger at you but if you did not know this then you have been chasing the wrong end of the problem(dont take this personal).

Flow path-

The fumes go out the driver side(still under vacuum/pre turbo) when the engine is under boost and the passenger side pcv is closed?

Closing one port does absolutely nothing but ensure they are going out one and only one path instead of two.

At any given moment through out the power band the fumes go out one or the other port, not both. Take the valve cover off and test this by simply blowing and sucking out of one end at a time(thats what she said).

Summary-

While the engine is out of boost(in vacuum)-The gases go out the passenger side port.

While the engine is in positive pressures/boost(no longer in vacuum after the turbo but positive pressure)- the gases are venting through the driver side port(which is exposed to vacuum due to being pre turbo/suction*)

that should make sense

Factory part for reference.
http://www.etuners.gr/en/index.php?s=12&t=299**

***Edit

You plain and simply have your can hooked up wrong(i didnt want to call you out) because your marketing a kit...

The can is nice it is as i stated in my first response.

The setup is wrong

your catch vapors under natural vacuum but when the ungine goes into boost/positive pressure all that gas etc goes out the driver port through your turbo and condenses in your intercooler...

Take off the hose to your inlet pipe and tell me theres no oil in it? hell all you have to do is pull out the heater thats attached to the intake hose(the one that looks like a sensor with brass on the inside) and stick your finger in it... not while hot though !

****Edit

so all that in a nut shell explains my previous posts about this setup* it is incorrect.

Originally Posted by gjn25
Sorry to keep this going off topic like this but that makes no sense you are taking a line that is in vacuum all the time with MOST (not all) of the bad fumes capping it off and now forcing it to go another way that it was never intend intended to go I get it that it works for some people, MINIUSA's car and all those of you that don't for see a problem but there is nothing that anyone can say that is going to change my mind. This thread is about a new option out there thats all now please let it stay that what this is enough already over is back and forth over who is right and wrong. Please let it go! Now if anyone has questions about the can directly call the company there number is posted or post it here and they or I will get back to you ASAP thanks to all that are following this for more info over the OCC set up I will let you all know any updates the sec I have them over it all here and then most likely start a new thread once I have it in the car. let the rest go!!!

Last edited by Bigprfed22; 05-26-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-26-2011 | 12:00 PM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
Summary-

While the engine is out of boost(in vacuum)-The gases go out the passenger side port.

While the engine is in positive pressures/boost(no longer in vacuum after the turbo but positive pressure)- the gases are venting through the driver side port(which is exposed to vacuum due to being pre turbo/suction*)

that should make sense

Factorty part for reference.
http://www.etuners.gr/en/index.php?s=12&t=299**

You plain and simply have your can hooked up wrong...

your catch vapors under natural vacuum but when the ungine goes into boost/positive pressure all that gas etc gos out the driver port through your turbo and condenses in your intercooler...

Take off the hose to your inlet pipe and tell me theres no oil in it? hell all you have to do is pull out the heater thats attached to the intake hose(the one that looks like a sensor with brass on the inside)
I agree with what you are saying and sorry I did not mean the part about the vacuum all the time I said it right in my head typed it wrong (no surprise there ) but what I'm saying is that the car is not in boost all the time so the passenger side is in vacuum most of the time in normal daily driving conditions. Ok, now my car is running only that side right now till the brace is done to hold 2 cans (again I'm not capping that side off my personal choice) and yes I have seen the ton of oil on my inlet pipes I know what you mean. Sorry for the confusion with what I said earlier.

Old 05-26-2011 | 12:03 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Its all good your choice is your choice ,

As long as the vapors see vacuum thats all that matters whether it be from the drive side or passenger side you want the vapors "sucked" out.

The rate you "suck" under natural vacuum vs the rate you "suck" under vacuum from boost(Pre turbo/stronger suction than natural vacuum).

either way you asked and folks didnt like my answers but facts are facts

I agree with what you are saying and sorry I did not mean the part about the vacuum all the time I said it right in my head typed it wrong (no surprise there ) but what I'm saying is that the car is not in boost all the time so the passenger side is in vacuum most of the time in normal daily driving conditions. Ok, now my car is running only that side right now till the brace is done to hold 2 cans (again I'm not capping that side off my personal choice) and yes I have seen the ton of oil on my inlet pipes I know what you mean. Sorry for the confusion with what I said earlier.

Old 05-26-2011 | 12:16 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
I feel the need to repeat myself...

Originally Posted by fishbert
Jesus Christ, people… can we all at least pretend to act like adults in here?!

I'd like to follow this thread so I can find out more about this catch can… not so I can watch a petty, pedantic *****-fight over grammar on a machine shop's website, not so I can repeatedly hear of someone's fixation on the price of a bracket, and certainly not so I can wade through yet another argument over how the MCS's PCV system operates — which has been argued over far too much in far too many other threads already!

Please, take all this worthless back-and-forth bull to another thread.

Old 05-26-2011 | 12:24 PM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear
Agreed!!!!!

Old 05-26-2011 | 12:25 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Repeat all you want...

The title of this thread is "Oil Catch Cans let me know what you think? "

Regarding a new kit.

The new kit is hooked up wrong

Its not an arguement , its a fact regarding how it works.

Old 05-26-2011 | 12:26 PM
rohicks
2nd Gear
I repeat myself because i feel my voice is majestic and i love to hear it. :P

On another note ... gjn25 .. i noticed you about 5 hours south of me. So the this company in the thread is located in that area?

Interesting ...

Old 05-26-2011 | 12:32 PM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear

On another note ... gjn25 .. i noticed you about 5 hours south of me. So the this company in the thread is located in that area?

Interesting ...
Yep I live in Wellington and they are in lake worth. It's all in palm beach

Old 05-26-2011 | 12:35 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
He doesnt work for them,

Im sure Gjn25 went in for a solution and just got the wrong one.

That shop doesnt specialize in mini's, they have a nice can but the kit is set up wrong

Interesting ...

Old 05-26-2011 | 12:40 PM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear
He doesnt work for them,

Im sure Gjn25 went in for a solution and just got the wrong one.

That shop doesnt specialize in mini's, they have a nice can but the kit is set up wrong
No I went to them and got what I asked them to set up the 2nd can is is coming I just hooked up this passenger side first! That's all. Do not blame the company thanks!

Old 05-26-2011 | 12:42 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
im confused

They advertise the wrong setup in a can kit they already sell

http://www.custombilletstore.com/product_p/20200.htm

No I went to them and got what I asked them to set up the 2nd can is is coming I just hooked up this passenger side first! That's all. Do not blame the company thanks!

Old 05-26-2011 | 12:46 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Bigprfed22, we all know your feelings on the matter; you've made them clear.

But nobody likes listening to a
Oil Catch Cans let me know what you think?-cnjm2.jpg

Old 05-26-2011 | 12:50 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear

as long as you know the setup is incorrect

Bigprfed22, we all know your feelings on the matter; you've made them clear.

But nobody likes listening to a

Old 05-26-2011 | 01:01 PM
fishbert
6th Gear

If we all agree to declare you the ultimate arbiter of "correct vs. incorrect" (in grammar, bracket pricing, PCV systems... whatever), will you go away?

Old 05-26-2011 | 01:10 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
You should be learning / researching if you want answers, not forum surfing

If we all agree to declare you the ultimate arbiter of "correct vs. incorrect" (in grammar, bracket pricing, PCV systems... whatever), will you go away?

Old 05-26-2011 | 02:15 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
wow, most boring day at work ever and all I have on NAM to read is arguments over catch can's

Let's go back to talking about fun stuff lol...anyone blow anymore motors yet???

Last edited by ThumperMCS; 05-26-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-26-2011 | 02:21 PM
jomama
4th Gear

i wouldn't say that it's so much incorrect as it is non-comprehensive. OP already said he's gonna be installing an occ for the passage on the driver's side. once he's done that, then i'd say he has a more comprehensive setup than those using the bsh boost port block-off method.

Old 05-26-2011 | 02:25 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
I agree with what your saying but it is being sold as a kit already depicting the incorrect usage.

Originally Posted by jomama
i wouldn't say that it's so much incorrect as it is non-comprehensive. OP already said he's gonna be installing an occ for the passage on the driver's side. once he's done that, then i'd say he has a more comprehensive setup than those using the bsh boost port block-off method.

Old 05-26-2011 | 03:01 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Bigprfed22... some of us want a dual can setup. We all understand that you don't (we understood this quite a while ago), but just because your personal preference is different doesn't mean that what other people want to implement is any less "correct" in any way, shape, or form.

Can you please just give it a rest already? All you are doing ... indeed, all you have been doing all the way back to the grammar goose-stepping (*you're, btw) ... is being rude and inconsiderate to everyone else in here by trying to hijack the thread and drone on and on about your own "correctness" hangups. The only thing you are accomplishing here is making yourself look like a domineering ***.

If you have something new to say, by all means, be a part of the discussion.
But if all you are going to do is continue to beat the same dead horse into the ground, please take it elsewhere.

Old 05-26-2011 | 03:04 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
You hurt my feelings...

Bigprfed22... some of us want a dual can setup. We all understand that you don't (we understood this quite a while ago), but just because your personal preference is different doesn't mean that what other people want to implement is any less "correct" in any way, shape, or form.

Can you please just give it a rest already? All you are doing ... indeed, all you have been doing all the way back to the grammar goose-stepping (*you're, btw) ... is being rude and inconsiderate to everyone else in here by trying to hijack the thread and drone on and on about your own "correctness" hangups. The only thing you are accomplishing here is making yourself look like a domineering ***.

If you have something new to say, by all means, be a part of the discussion.
But if all you are going to do is continue to beat the same dead horse into the ground, please take it elsewhere.

Old 05-26-2011 | 03:07 PM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear
It's being sold as just one option of what is going to be 3 possible set ups

1 can = passenger witch makes no sense to you maybe but to a large group of people I have spoken to that there jobs are to fix these cars it does in there words not mine! "if you are going to do only one can do it on this side its where we are getting most of our issues from" and yes Bigprfed22 I know just cap it off its all wrong no offense but let it go already please

or

1 can = just driver side for those who wish to cap off passenger side on there own

or my personal choice (again after a ton of research and talking to some lovely people that know these motors inside and out there choice too)

2 can = both sides will be covered passenger and drive sides for best coverage

Old 05-26-2011 | 03:10 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Still incorrect

If 5 people jump off a bridge, that doesnt mean it's right. Folks dont like to hear they're wrong when money has been spent.

Unsubscribed

Thumper talk some sense into these people!

It's being sold as just one option of what is going to be 3 possible set ups

1 can = passenger witch makes no sense to you maybe but to a large group of people I have spoken to that there jobs are to fix these cars it does in there words not mine! "if you are going to do only one can do it on this side its where we are getting most of our issues from" and yes Bigprfed22 I know just cap it off its all wrong no offense but let it go already please

or

1 can = just driver side for those who wish to cap off passenger side on there own

or my personal choice (again after a ton of research and talking to some lovely people that know these motors inside and out there choice too)

2 can = both sides will be covered passenger and drive sides for best coverage

Last edited by Bigprfed22; 05-26-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-26-2011 | 03:52 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Unsubscribed
Oil Catch Cans let me know what you think?-b92ru.gif

... now, where were we?

Old 05-26-2011 | 03:59 PM
rohicks
2nd Gear
I think I'm more concerned with the kit having the correct fittings.

The 2011 pcv was sorta of solved in the other thread, but everyone is waiting for BSH to release their 'correct' version of a catch can. While in my eyes regardless a catch can should fit the N18 model and still work well. Use on the driver's side since the passenger side hose has disappeared with the 2011. Specially if BSH doesn't come out with anything soon. The catch can in this thread is good looking and easy to empty; it just needs refinement on the fittings i suppose.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Oil Catch Cans let me know what you think?