Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Oil Catch Cans let me know what you think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 04:00 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
Thumper talk some sense into these people!
As bored as I am, I have not been following this thread at all, other than its always at the top with new posts.

Arguing about catch cans is about as exciting as watching paint dry to me

...which is about how boring my day is, so maybe I should read back to pass this last hour of work

Old 05-26-2011, 04:50 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Arguing about catch cans is about as exciting as watching paint dry to me

...which is about how boring my day is, so maybe I should read back to pass this last hour of work
There's about 3.5 pages of good material at the front, and then it all starts to go to hell halfway down page 4.
So, I guess where you want to start depends on what kind of reading you'd find more entertaining.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:02 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
I just am so indifferent about catch can's...I know I probably need one, but just don't care either way

Everytime I've taken the I/C off, the oil buildup in there has been minimal...in fact, I think it was worse on my R53. And as far as the carbon build-up on valves...my rememdy is water/meth injection.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:04 PM
Step
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey I love the design of the can. However, I have one quick question for you. Why did you run it on the intake manifold side? wouldn't you want to run it on the intake track side, and just block off that port like the pug engines. That port is only there to maintain vacum on the crank case it closes under pressure. the excessive oil is gonna dump in your intake boot under load regardless. Just a question, can design looks good. just seems like your doing it wrong.

PS I didn't read threw the whole post in case this was covered

Old 05-26-2011, 08:20 PM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
I just am so indifferent about catch can's...I know I probably need one, but just don't care either way

Everytime I've taken the I/C off, the oil buildup in there has been minimal...in fact, I think it was worse on my R53. And as far as the carbon build-up on valves...my rememdy is water/meth injection.
Your remedy WAS W/M, now its a new longblock Are you back up and running yet? And yes, you should put a CC on your car, I mean, can it hurt?

Old 05-26-2011, 08:30 PM
gjn25
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Step
Hey I love the design of the can. However, I have one quick question for you. Why did you run it on the intake manifold side? wouldn't you want to run it on the intake track side, and just block off that port like the pug engines. That port is only there to maintain vacum on the crank case it closes under pressure. the excessive oil is gonna dump in your intake boot under load regardless. Just a question, can design looks good. just seems like your doing it wrong.

this is an option for people who like myself do not like the cap off idea after doing a ton of my own research and a thought process that most of the time the car is not in boost so this side does see vacuum a lot during daily driving. I spoke with this company Billet Technology and came up with what you see. Now there is a dual can setup that they are working on right now for both sides but the bracket is not done yet once it is done then is going in my car and for some test and then out to the world what you see is only half of the whole set up.
here are the set ups going to be available
this is from an earlier post I made

It's being sold as just one option of what is going to be 3 possible set ups

1 can = passenger witch makes no sense to you maybe but to a large group of people I have spoken to that there jobs are to fix these cars it does in there words not mine! "if you are going to do only one can do it on this side its where we are getting most of our issues from"

or

1 can = just driver side for those who wish to cap off passenger side on there own

or my personal choice (again after a ton of research and talking to some lovely people that know these motors inside and out there choice too)

2 can = both sides will be covered passenger and drive sides for best coverage

lol its ok if you did not read there is so much random ness through out this thread.

Last edited by gjn25; 05-26-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:18 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AZblackOUT
Your remedy WAS W/M, now its a new longblock Are you back up and running yet? And yes, you should put a CC on your car, I mean, can it hurt?
Yes, new motor in. Running stronger than the old ever did

Old 05-26-2011, 11:40 PM
rohicks
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Step

read.
anything you post will have already been covered.
good information anyways.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:05 AM
1FST4DR
Former Vendor
A quick note....

I appreciate the PMs with the words of encouragement and warm welcomes to the forum.

I will be back next week to start a new thread and post up some more pics of a dual can set up. Some keep saying the current set up is wrong. What some consider wrong we/some may consider an option.

Most of the techs I have spoken to suggest a duel can and do not block off anything. All I can do is relay what I have been told. That being said be on the look out for our new thread next week. In the mean time here is a little taste for some of you that are interested.. Have a happy/safe holiday...

Old 05-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like this alot!!
Will your bracket be compatible with an R56 w/alarm system?

Old 05-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Rixter
5th Gear
How much will that weigh. I'm concerned about hanging anymore than a single OCC off the alarm bracket on the R56. Or will you have a different mounting location? BTW very nice looking OCC. Your work looks really sharp

Old 05-27-2011, 08:54 AM
1FST4DR
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Mini2na
I like this alot!!
Will your bracket be compatible with an R56 w/alarm system?
Originally Posted by Rixter
How much will that weigh. I'm concerned about hanging anymore than a single OCC off the alarm bracket on the R56. Or will you have a different mounting location? BTW very nice looking OCC. Your work looks really sharp
Were concerned with that as well. Being the tight space in the mini engine bay the mounting location will be quite challenging. We do agree the spot in question will not be a key location for this set up. Any suggestions

But we are working on a solution.. Please feel free to post up here for any solutions you folks might have.

If someone post's up a good mounting suggestion that we can make work economically. I would be willing to offer a dual Can for free.. So please post up your suggestions and Ill be back on Tuesday.. Thanks again everyone!..

Old 05-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Rixter
5th Gear
Maybe you could have some sort of U bracket that hangs over the rubber seal that goes borders the firewall and have a bolt that connects both sides of the U bracket. That might support the weight better, but there's still the issue of size of the OCC and how little room there is to work with

Old 05-27-2011, 09:04 AM
1FST4DR
Former Vendor
Rixter emailed with a good point.. Dimensions would help

5.5" long
2.25" deep
4.25" tall.

Thanks

Old 05-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Rixter
5th Gear
Can you make a single cannister that has 4 ports (2 on each side) that is completely divided down the middle? That way each half is a complete OCC unto itself, but the form factor and weight would be a lot less. Downside would be more frequent emptying for some, but the tradeoff might be worth it

Old 05-27-2011, 09:08 AM
rohicks
2nd Gear
Do you need to have both cans physically connected to run a dual setup?

Why not offer them separate for individuals who have stock air box. That way they can mount them on different sides of the engine for driver's and passenger side?

And maybe for people that don't have the stock air box you could include the connector thing on the top that puts them together into one unit because we have more space for them in the engine bay.

I dunno.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:45 AM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rixter
Can you make a single cannister that has 4 ports (2 on each side) that is completely divided down the middle? That way each half is a complete OCC unto itself, but the form factor and weight would be a lot less. Downside would be more frequent emptying for some, but the tradeoff might be worth it
it'd prob be kind of tough to run both lines into one physical can while keeping them separate. the two sections would need to be sealed off from one another since one line sees vacuum and the other does not. with that being the case, you can't really have a single collector from both sets of lines.

Last edited by jomama; 05-27-2011 at 10:55 AM. Reason: typos
Old 05-27-2011, 10:17 AM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 1FST4DR
Most of the techs I have spoken to suggest a duel can and do not block off anything. All I can do is relay what I have been told. That being said be on the look out for our new thread next week. In the mean time here is a little taste for some of you that are interested.. Have a happy/safe holiday...
that design looks pretty solid! here's a quick mock-up of what i think you guys may be able to do with the dual can setup. i'm wondering if you could provide some sort of brace that either sits on top of the fuse box. you can put a small piece of rubber underneath the brace so that it's not metal-on-plastic contact. i imagine the brace would provide a good amount of support of the weight.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:48 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Getting rid of the stock air box is a fairly common modification around here. I'll be mounting any cans I get on the back wall above the intake manifold in the void removing that box leaves (like this). I see the bracket you have on the example can in post #68… will the dual can have an option similar to this as well? Will it be the one bracket "leg", or would there be two?

Old 05-27-2011, 10:53 AM
gjn25
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jomama
it'd prob be kind of tough to run both lines into one physical can while keeping them separate. the need sections would need to be sealed off from one another since one line sees vacuum and the other does not. with that being the case, you can't really have a single collector from both sets of lines.
Yep hit the nail on the head the first thought was 2 in one but there is no way to have it seal right every time with out redoing the can from top to bottom and that is what they are trying to avoid. As for brackets for mounting I m going in next week to try out a few different ideas they have and a few that are possible that you all come up with to see what is best but do to our engine bay being so cramped this is going to be fun . The other thing is that they as a company like to make stuff that when it comes off there is no trace of it ever being there. They are going to be looking in to a new hook up on the passenger side so there is no need to cut. I personally did not care about cutting in to mine but they do so that is a concern of theres too.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:04 PM
rohicks
2nd Gear
Well seeing the 2011 models don't need a dual can setup since the passenger side is internal. I won't have the need to wait for a dual can setup.

In that case is the fittings going to be improved for the single can? And can you confirm or deny that that they do slide onto the 2011 models?

Old 05-27-2011, 04:14 PM
gjn25
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rohicks
Well seeing the 2011 models don't need a dual can setup since the passenger side is internal. I won't have the need to wait for a dual can setup.

In that case is the fittings going to be improved for the single can? And can you confirm or deny that that they do slide onto the 2011 models?
I will have a better idea of all of that next week and I will not know till then. It should fit but I would be lying to you if I said for sure now. They are taking a bit so they can do it right.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:18 PM
rohicks
2nd Gear
Well once the kit is improved and the fittings are 100% good.
Count me in 1FST4DR for a single can. Don't take too long I'm coming up on 3k miles

Old 05-27-2011, 04:20 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rohicks
Well once the kit is improved and the fittings are 100% good.
Count me in 1FST4DR for a single can. Don't take too long I'm coming up on 3k miles
same here. no one seems to really care about the 2011s, yet. so the first one to show us a little bit of love will get my business for sure!

Old 05-27-2011, 04:26 PM
gjn25
3rd Gear
If any one could please PM me a few pics of their N18 and few close ups of the drivers side line (where it connects top and by turbo) I need to look at a few things on it and my buddy that has one is not in town this weekend. (forgot to get pics before he left ) so please and thank you or pm me and I will give you my email for you to send it to me there.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Oil Catch Cans let me know what you think?