Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain After DOS noise maker delete, car wont build boost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011 | 05:42 PM
Mini Coupe
|
2nd Gear
After DOS noise maker delete, car wont build boost?

So I just got done installing the blue DOS noisemaker delete, and first off... That took me an hour of straight applying pressure to get that hose on the end of the tube.

Now when I drove my car it wont build boost. Anyone have any ideas of a fix? could it be that MAF sensor issue from my K&N panel filter? Ive had it for maybe 10,000 miles and no problems but I had to take it out and handle it during the install..

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated..

thanks,
Adam

Old 05-16-2011 | 04:23 PM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
I would suspect boost leak simply because you just installed a part dealing w boost tract

Old 05-16-2011 | 09:49 PM
barnoun
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SooperCuperErik
I would suspect boost leak simply because you just installed a part dealing w boost tract
I'd suspect a boost leak as well. Consider using a bit of motor oil or wd40 on the hoses to ease installation. I've had the DOS noisemaker delete for 1.5yrs now and never experienced a problem with it.

Old 05-17-2011 | 06:19 AM
Mini Coupe
|
2nd Gear
Well here's an update for you guys. I put the stock noisemaker back on and now it's holding boost for the most part. If I modulate the pedal up to 3500 rpm it won't dump the boost. But if I'm at WOT before 3000 rpm it dumps the boost. So I'm considering the following as possibilities.

Crack in y junction of the hose the noisemaker attaches to
Diverter valve gone bad (I got the dos intake installed and now it seems that my diverter valve stays upended for a good 2 to 3 seconds when I shift.
Or possibly I'm coincedentily hitting the 22lb boost cut. Although I've never had that issue before.

Old 05-17-2011 | 06:52 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Adam and I have chatted over email today, but it would be helpful if the NAM community could pipe in and help him out:

Adam, just so that it can help to inform the conversation and get some more info coming your way, could you post the following?:

What other engine/drivetrain mods have you done besides the DoS CAI & NDK?

Do you have an ECU tune?

What are the "P Codes" affiliated with the CEL that your car was throwing before installing the NDK and CAI?

Once you get that info posted, it would help the conversation immensely. I'm sure that everyone wants you back up & running in the fast lane.

-Clint

Old 05-17-2011 | 07:07 PM
Mini Coupe
|
2nd Gear
Yes sir, my mods are as follows:

Alta:
Turboback exhaust
Fmic
AP stage 3 tune with linear throttle mapping (the older tune with the rpm issue with the ac on. I just havnt had a chance to get the updated map from alta. That will get done tomorrow)

DoS:
CIA
Ndk (uninstalled at the moment)

The codes I can remember off hand are P0108, P2b6c, and P2dcb

Since the shop had my car I've been able to at least make boost, but it does cut under WOT at times, most noticeably in 6th. However I'm concerned because it should throw a code when it does that. I'm curious if the shop made it so the car wouldn't throw a code to convince me that it's fixed (if that's even possible)

Also, I'd like to give a special thanks to Clint! Even though he's been busy out of town and such he's still been speedy and extremely helpful with his responses to my emails!

THANKS CLINT!!

I run only 93 octane shell gasoline in the car just for the record.

Old 05-17-2011 | 08:07 PM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Mini Coupe
Yes sir, my mods are as follows:

Alta:
Turboback exhaust
Fmic
AP stage 3 tune with linear throttle mapping (the older tune with the rpm issue with the ac on. I just havnt had a chance to get the updated map from alta. That will get done tomorrow)

DoS:
CIA
Ndk (uninstalled at the moment)

The codes I can remember off hand are P0108, P2b6c, and P2dcb

Since the shop had my car I've been able to at least make boost, but it does cut under WOT at times, most noticeably in 6th. However I'm concerned because it should throw a code when it does that. I'm curious if the shop made it so the car wouldn't throw a code to convince me that it's fixed (if that's even possible)

Also, I'd like to give a special thanks to Clint! Even though he's been busy out of town and such he's still been speedy and extremely helpful with his responses to my emails!

THANKS CLINT!!

I run only 93 octane shell gasoline in the car just for the record.
The P0108 code is map sensor if i remember right, both are close to the area work would have been done for your last installs. One may have been damaged, unplugged or had a wire stretched.

Old 05-17-2011 | 08:19 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
I too have a DoS CAI and just had a Forge BoV installed. At low turbo load I am getting an irritating flutter from the BoV. I have been told by a vendor that it is because of the DoS CAI. Clint, have you heard of this? I'm going to install a stronger spring and see if it helps. If not, I will go back to stock and maybe instal an Alta spring. The aforementioned vendor implies that the DoS CAI screws things up. I would love to know if your problem could be because of the CAI. Also... Mini Coupe, how do you like the Alta Turbo-back? Does it help HP/torque? Sound/noise?

Old 05-17-2011 | 08:38 PM
Mini Coupe
|
2nd Gear
You wouldn't happen to have a diagram of where those map sensors are, would you? Also how can I check them?

As far as the turboback goes, for my taste it's beautiful.. Just a bit on the loud side. If I had to do it again, I'd probably buy the alta downpipe and either a milltek cat back, or maybe the q300 cat back. I've also heard that the JCW or Akropovtik cat back are great.

Lastly, I forgot to mention I have an alta hot side boost tube.. Not that it matters..

Old 05-17-2011 | 09:45 PM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
You wouldn't happen to have a diagram of where those map sensors are, would you? Also how can I check them?
1st one is #5 in this pic

The second one i can't find a clear diagram but it looks like #5 from the above pic and is on the upper side of the intake manifold. Since you have th DoS intake it should be pretty easy to see with the stock air box gone.

Some easy checks include checking for physical damage like broken plastic or scratches. Checking the wires, make sure that they are plugged in, none of the pins in the connector got pulled out slightly.

Also since you have the AP you should data log this when it happens and send the log into Alta. They should be able to let you know if it's boost cut related or at least give you some insight on what the car is doing at the time.

Old 05-18-2011 | 01:00 AM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mike@Tech Division
1st one is #5 in this pic

The second one i can't find a clear diagram but it looks like #5 from the above pic and is on the upper side of the intake manifold. Since you have th DoS intake it should be pretty easy to see with the stock air box gone.

Some easy checks include checking for physical damage like broken plastic or scratches. Checking the wires, make sure that they are plugged in, none of the pins in the connector got pulled out slightly.

Also since you have the AP you should data log this when it happens and send the log into Alta. They should be able to let you know if it's boost cut related or at least give you some insight on what the car is doing at the time.
Hi,

You are talking about two sensors. Am I correct in assuming the locations of these are (as you stand at the front of the car with the bonnet open)

1. The sensor indicated as 5 in your pic, which is to the left in the engine bay, on top of the pipe which connects with the intercooler

2. The part labelled 10 with part number 13627540508 in this diagram from real oem http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...33&hg=11&fg=40 This sits in the top / middle part of the engine bay, above air intake, and in a position where it tends to rub on the strut brace.

I am looking to replace both in my car, just to see if my issues are sensor related (which I think they may be). I obviously have the part number for part 2, but I can't find the diagram you posted on realoem to get the part number for part 1. Where did you get that diagram from???

Cheers

Robbo

Old 05-18-2011 | 07:04 AM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by robbo mcs
Hi,
I am looking to replace both in my car, just to see if my issues are sensor related (which I think they may be). I obviously have the part number for part 2, but I can't find the diagram you posted on realoem to get the part number for part 1. Where did you get that diagram from???

Cheers

Robbo
On RealOem it's
main group : fuel preparation system
sub group: intake muffler

Old 05-18-2011 | 11:11 AM
Mini Coupe
|
2nd Gear
Thanks Mike for the diagram!

So I used my accessPORT and took a log of the issue, and to my surprise I may have found my issue... Let me know if this could be it.

At the frame thats blue the car is at 3222RPM under WOT

Old 05-18-2011 | 11:21 AM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Thanks Mike for the diagram!

So I used my accessPORT and took a log of the issue, and to my surprise I may have found my issue... Let me know if this could be it.

At the frame thats blue the car is at 3222RPM under WOT
Do you have any other data logged, or just boost?

Old 05-18-2011 | 11:23 AM
Mini Coupe
|
2nd Gear
Do you have any other data logged, or just boost?
I have the whole datalog the accessPORT logs, however I am unable to upload a .csv file here as far as I know. The whole log doesnt fit on one page without scrolling so I figured Id just take that column.

Edit: Ill go ahead and capture the whole log with multiple screenshots..

Last edited by Mini Coupe; 05-18-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-18-2011 | 02:09 PM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Ok it looks like you just have boost cut and the code is from the over boost. It could be something else but that's my best guess from what I see going on.

Your problem is probably coincidental, but I would still look the car over to make sure.

I'm guessing this was a third or fourth gear pull?

The engine over loaded and spiked the boost.

When you hit 22.63 psi the load request was 119.98 and the actual load was 231.02.

This basically translates to: Load spike = Boost spike = boost cut by the ecu.

With a higher boost map there are a few situations that can cause this to happen.

A)The car is just under very heavy load from the driving condition, like hard acceleration up hill or fast shift at or near redline. For this a change in driving habits can be made to help prevent the situation

B)The map is too aggressive and needs to be dialed back a little. There will be some power loss, but that's better then a boost cut every time you want to get on it.

Last edited by Mike@Tech Division; 05-18-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-18-2011 | 02:21 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Melangell
I too have a DoS CAI and just had a Forge BoV installed. At low turbo load I am getting an irritating flutter from the BoV. I have been told by a vendor that it is because of the DoS CAI. Clint, have you heard of this? I'm going to install a stronger spring and see if it helps. If not, I will go back to stock and maybe instal an Alta spring. The aforementioned vendor implies that the DoS CAI screws things up. I would love to know if your problem could be because of the CAI. . . .
Melangell, our CAI has never and never will generate the symptoms you noted above.

I just shot you a PM to talk diverter valves/recirculating BOV's so that Adam's thread doesn't get hijacked.

Best,

-Clint

Old 05-18-2011 | 08:17 PM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
On RealOem it's
main group : fuel preparation system
sub group: intake muffler
Thanks