Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Billet Tech DUAL OCC PROTOTYPE IS IN!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011 | 09:47 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MaverickGun
Not to complicate things or anything, but I checked under my hood this morning and saw that the BSH OCC uses 5/8" tubing. Unless BSH has changed it's design since I bought it last June, and seeing as how I haven't read any complaints about that size tubing, I guess that means there's another option BT can consider that people would be happy with.
My mistake... glad I have the 42dd can, then.
I will add that the extra 1/8" the 5/8" has over the 1/2" means instead of a nearly 60% reduction, now it's just a little over 30% -- though I would still greatly prefer full 3/4".

-------
Originally Posted by gjn25
And yes this size change was a concern for me and BT form day one this was not just a way of cutting corners.
… really?

Part of the reason they use 1/2 instead of 3/4 is because PCV hose in 3/4 is hard to find and a ton more expensive…
As for cost till they are done with all the fittings I don't even have a clue they are doing everything they can for use to keep the cost low…
…I will make sure they hear your concerns over this and see if anything can be done with out killing the cost witch is something they are really trying to keep low for us.
-------

Originally Posted by MaverickGun
Personally, I wouldn't mind paying a little more for better size tubing. I'd already going to be paying extra for a dual can setup, so spending a bit more cash on tubing doesn't seem so bad.
Exactly!
I'm using a catch can to avoid spending thousands for a new engine or a recurring $800-900 for carbon cleaning. I am more than willing to spend the extra ... what, at most $50? ... that the OEM-diameter hosing/fittings would cost.

Old 06-02-2011 | 09:54 AM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by fishbert
I'm using a catch can to avoid spending thousands for a new engine or a recurring $800-900 for carbon cleaning. I am more than willing to spend the extra ... what, at most $50? ... that the OEM-diameter hosing/fittings would cost.
I will let them know this is just the prototype so changes can still be made easily. I agree with you about the price diff but not everyone sees it that way.

Old 06-02-2011 | 12:25 PM
BTDAN
Neutral
Hi, My name is Dan and I work for BT. First off I would like to thank all of you for your input on this. As "GJN25" stated this is only the prototype/tester. We are not going to try and sell you a can that does not best meet your needs. I do not have any mini background so I will be relying heavily on your input. This can will be tailor made to suit most users needs. This is your Catch can and you will all have input into the final design. I hope we can make this a success together and look forward to working with you. Special thanks to GJN25 for your time yesterday and for being our tester car. I will be checking back here and looking forward to your input.
Thanks,
BTDAN

Old 06-02-2011 | 01:49 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Despite my concerns with the hose/fittings sizes, no one can say that BT has been anything but responsive to the community. Always a sign of a good vendor, in my opinion.

Old 06-02-2011 | 04:26 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
Will a strut tower brace fit over it?

Old 06-02-2011 | 04:30 PM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by chakraj
Will a strut tower brace fit over it?
Yes it will, made sure of that of from day one.

Old 06-03-2011 | 02:34 PM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear
Just posted a youtube vid of the set up. Please remember this is just a very ruff PROTOTYPE the real production set up will be a very clean and easy install. Here is the link I m also adding it to the OP

Old 06-03-2011 | 02:53 PM
Tmini08
5th Gear
I like the set up.

Old 06-03-2011 | 07:50 PM
cenobyt
2nd Gear
a couple of quick points;

1) I believe a portion of the stock mini alarm system mounts just behind and above that location in the video. It's the tab with the hole in it, coming off the bulkhead.
2) This spot will not work or at least I believe it will not work with a DOS intake. Not really an issue but just pointing it out.
3) I have several friends who drive VWs. They use BSH catch cans and they are complaining that the cans are clogging at the inlet and outlet points. This is causing problems with their motors. They are guessing it is caused by the diameter not being big enough and thus building a pressure point allowing for the clog to build. Just a guess though.

Old 06-03-2011 | 07:51 PM
cenobyt
2nd Gear
p.s. dig this design. watching for final product and price.

Old 06-03-2011 | 08:29 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cenobyt
a couple of quick points;

1) I believe a portion of the stock mini alarm system mounts just behind and above that location in the video. It's the tab with the hole in it, coming off the bulkhead.
2) This spot will not work or at least I believe it will not work with a DOS intake. Not really an issue but just pointing it out.
3) I have several friends who drive VWs. They use BSH catch cans and they are complaining that the cans are clogging at the inlet and outlet points. This is causing problems with their motors. They are guessing it is caused by the diameter not being big enough and thus building a pressure point allowing for the clog to build. Just a guess though.
Here's a picture under the hood of my MCS with both a DoS intake and the factory alarm:
http://fishbert.imgur.com/catch_can_installed#nSQWb

The factory alarm sensor is small enough that I don't think it will get in the way.

The DoS intake obstructs this ABS bracket mount for the dual can… but there is a ton of space above the intake manifold against that back wall. Really, the tricky part is finding a place to put a can in the cramped factory configuration; and it seems they found a solution that's nearly as slick as their can design.

Old 06-04-2011 | 08:48 PM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear
Here's a picture under the hood of my MCS with both a DoS intake and the factory alarm:
http://fishbert.imgur.com/catch_can_installed#nSQWb

The factory alarm sensor is small enough that I don't think it will get in the way.

The DoS intake obstructs this ABS bracket mount for the dual can… but there is a ton of space above the intake manifold against that back wall. Really, the tricky part is finding a place to put a can in the cramped factory configuration; and it seems they found a solution that's nearly as slick as their can design.
we are going to be looking in to doing something similar for this set up I wish every Mini had a dos CAI that would make mounting a piece of cake.

thanks for the pic!!!

Old 06-05-2011 | 07:34 PM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear
thank you all for all the feedback, it's nice to hear that people like something that a lot of work has been put into by a lot of people and thank you to BT for helping make this happen and for putting up with my crazy ideas

Old 06-05-2011 | 09:07 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
No drilling at all there is a bracket that holes the brake system down there and it has a hole tapped already on it so we used it. It's very sturdy and mounted to the frame of the car (weight is not an issue) and once the hoses are connected the can does not move!!!
That's quite interesting. I'm going to have to take a look. So is it bolted or screwed in (ie self-tapping)? Sorry to be a pain about it, I just need to know the details of how all this works

Old 06-05-2011 | 09:39 PM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Rixter
That's quite interesting. I'm going to have to take a look. So is it bolted or screwed in (ie self-tapping)? Sorry to be a pain about it, I just need to know the details of how all this works
Not a pain at all ask all the want to know...

Ok so there is a braket down there that has a hole in it (it holds the brake system to the frame of the car take a look down there you will see what I mean) to that "as of now" a bolt with a nut and lock washer. Holds the occ braket like it was made for it. Very easy to get to and easy to mount too as well. No drilling no taping just a plug and play style system.

Old 06-21-2011 | 08:48 AM
tintman718
3rd Gear
Being that its machined from billet, you know its going to be expensive......so why skimp out on properly-sized fittings? Do it right from the start!

Old 06-21-2011 | 07:49 PM
joeficsit
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jomama
tell them to stop fartin' around with the dual can setup and start concentrating on the occ for 2011 MCSs! =)
+1 here. Need someone to step up on the 2011. Don't want to cut anything since I will remove before trading it in for a new one in a few years.

Old 06-21-2011 | 08:12 PM
rohicks
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by joeficsit
+1 here. Need someone to step up on the 2011. Don't want to cut anything since I will remove before trading it in for a new one in a few years.
Clint from DoS has said BSH is only a few weeks out from delivering their product for the 2011 because they are collaborating on something that requires the designs of both products ... something like that.

Old 06-21-2011 | 08:36 PM
catguy
2nd Gear
vac tubing size

Why on earth are the ppl that make the nice cc worried about hose size to save money.. This group of ppl that own Mini's spend LOTS OF money on hop up parts only to blow their motors... Step up and use the correct size hoses and start taking orders.. My order will be placed when your hoses match the existing factory hoses..

Old 06-24-2011 | 05:49 PM
Dek766
2nd Gear
I have no idea what this is, but nice K&N sticker on the stock CAI.

Old 06-24-2011 | 05:54 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dek766
I have no idea what this is, but nice K&N sticker on the stock CAI.
...which prob indicates that he has a k&n drop in filter for the stock intake.

Old 06-24-2011 | 06:48 PM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jomama
...which prob indicates that he has a k&n drop in filter for the stock intake.
100% right just a drop in.

Testing is going well not much long till we have a product for you all!

Old 07-08-2011 | 11:22 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Any more news on this dual catch can thing? I'm interested to hear if the port size will be expanded and how development is progressing in general.

Old 07-09-2011 | 10:16 AM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear
Should have some new news soon I m hoping....

Old 07-11-2011 | 05:41 PM
Phil@BSH
Neutral
Just a heads up, we've been running a single -10 (5/8) line making over 480 whp on a track abused 2.0L engine for almost two years. You're fine.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Billet Tech DUAL OCC PROTOTYPE IS IN!!!!!!