Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Billet Tech DUAL OCC PROTOTYPE IS IN!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011 | 03:22 PM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear
Billet Tech DUAL OCC PROTOTYPE IS IN!!!!!!

After a hot long day today the Billet Technology PROTOTYPE DUAL OCC is in my car for the first set of test on the new mounting point and can set up. WHAT YOU SEE IN THE PIC IS ONLY TO TEST MOUNTING!!! They are working on making new fittings so there will not be and cutting of the pipes at all so what you see in the pics is just a PROTOTYPE and the finished set up will be a very easy clean install for a nice factory finish. (also clear frosted bottoms like the ones installed in my car are an extra option and will not come on the cans unless you upgrade to them on your order cans will come made of all billet as in first pic). Should have something very soon for the N18 as well with 100% fit guaranty.

Let me know what you think, if you have any ideas to make it better or a different idea for mounting let me know as well. As of now it is mounted on a bracket that holds the ABS system (its an open bracket and has 100% no effect on the braking system at ALL!! it just holds the ABS to the wall and is very sturdy.

Here is a link to a youtube vid of the set up

Attached Thumbnails Billet Tech DUAL OCC PROTOTYPE IS IN!!!!!!-dscn1394.jpg   Billet Tech DUAL OCC PROTOTYPE IS IN!!!!!!-dsc_0007.jpg   Billet Tech DUAL OCC PROTOTYPE IS IN!!!!!!-dsc_0009.jpg  

Last edited by gjn25; 06-03-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-01-2011 | 03:25 PM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear
More pics

Attached Thumbnails Billet Tech DUAL OCC PROTOTYPE IS IN!!!!!!-dsc_0018.jpg   Billet Tech DUAL OCC PROTOTYPE IS IN!!!!!!-dsc_0015.jpg   Billet Tech DUAL OCC PROTOTYPE IS IN!!!!!!-dsc_0011.jpg  
Old 06-01-2011 | 03:35 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Thats an interesting and creative way of mounting. How and what on earth is the bracket connected to? It's got to be something metalic. Just drilling into the firewall wouldnt be a good idea

Old 06-01-2011 | 03:39 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
Interesting. What is the holding capacity? Also material of the cup portion?

Old 06-01-2011 | 03:48 PM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Rixter
Thats an interesting and creative way of mounting. How and what on earth is the bracket connected to? It's got to be something metalic. Just drilling into the firewall wouldnt be a good idea
No drilling at all there is a bracket that holes the brake system down there and it has a hole tapped already on it so we used it. It's very sturdy and mounted to the frame of the car (weight is not an issue) and once the hoses are connected the can does not move!!!

Old 06-01-2011 | 03:50 PM
killerfox
4th Gear
That is a nice setup for a stock car, But anyone with an aftermarket intake might not have the space to mount it there. I know I don't, mine would have to be near the coolant tank and there is no room for a dual can. I actually purchased their single can but returned it because they use 1/2" fittings and really should be using 3/4". The drivers side valve cover fitting is 19mm or 3/4 inch hose would fit directly on it and the intake inlet tube would need a 25mm or 1 inch hose, if they made hose fittings for their can at those size no adapters would be needed or maybe just a 1 inch down to 3/4. They use 3/8npt threads on their Cans and you can't get fittings with 3/4 hose barbs with that thread.

Old 06-01-2011 | 04:02 PM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96
Interesting. What is the holding capacity? Also material of the cup portion?
I have no clue what they are made of they make whole cans out of the stuff so when i saw them there i asked if i could have them on the prototype they said yes .(the clear frost is available by special order only and the can make the whole can out of it top and bottom it looks crazy) The really cans are made of billet like the first pic in the OP. (the one on top of the table)
the cans hold 4 oz each it should be enough space to last you from oil change to oil change 3000 - 5000 miles depending on how much oil you car eats up. Since this set up is not blocking the passenger side the OCCs split the catching duty and there is no need for huge cups to hold the oil.

Old 06-01-2011 | 04:16 PM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by killerfox
That is a nice setup for a stock car, But anyone with an aftermarket intake might not have the space to mount it there. I know I don't, mine would have to be near the coolant tank and there is no room for a dual can. I actually purchased their single can but returned it because they use 1/2" fittings and really should be using 3/4". The drivers side valve cover fitting is 19mm or 3/4 inch hose would fit directly on it and the intake inlet tube would need a 25mm or 1 inch hose, if they made hose fittings for their can at those size no adapters would be needed or maybe just a 1 inch down to 3/4. They use 3/8npt threads on their Cans and you can't get fittings with 3/4 hose barbs with that thread.
Part of the reason they use 1/2 instead of 3/4 is because PCV hose in 3/4 is hard to find and a ton more expensive they could use other hose that is cheaper but the oil will eat it up and it's just not worth it. As far as flow is concerned the 1/2 inch is more then the car will ever need through those lines.

Last edited by gjn25; 06-01-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-01-2011 | 05:34 PM
jomama
4th Gear
the dual can setup looks great! i also like the clear frosted cup, but my only reservation about getting those cups is that the insides would get dirty. think they can make a metal cup with a thin frosted section so that you can see how much has been "caught" by the occ?

Old 06-01-2011 | 05:52 PM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jomama
the dual can setup looks great! i also like the clear frosted cup, but my only reservation about getting those cups is that the insides would get dirty. think they can make a metal cup with a thin frosted section so that you can see how much has been "caught" by the occ?
The cups in the pic are not the ones that come with it and yes they will get very dirty. The way they make the can there is no way to do a peak in but I will pass on the info plus they follow the thread so anything anyone says they read and they look in to it glad you guys are liking the look of it.

Old 06-01-2011 | 05:57 PM
AXO
5th Gear
Just curious why two cups instead of one. Cheers it look very Trick.

Old 06-01-2011 | 06:15 PM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by AXO
Just curious why two cups instead of one. Cheers it look very Trick.
It's the best way to 100% know that the cans will not leak pressure. They looked in to doing 2 cans in one that was bigger but there was no way to say that the can would seal right every time so this was the safe way to do it.

Plus now you can take bets with you other Mini friends to see what side fills up faster

Old 06-01-2011 | 06:19 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gjn25
The cups in the pic are not the ones that come with it and yes they will get very dirty. The way they make the can there is no way to do a peak in but I will pass on the info plus they follow the thread so anything anyone says they read and they look in to it glad you guys are liking the look of it.
tell them to stop fartin' around with the dual can setup and start concentrating on the occ for 2011 MCSs! =)

Old 06-01-2011 | 06:22 PM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear
tell them to stop fartin' around with the dual can setup and start concentrating on the occ for 2011 MCSs! =)
WILL DO

Old 06-01-2011 | 08:56 PM
5zero4
4th Gear
looks really nice! What will the cost of this one be?

If I can make a suggestion. If they have the ability to make fittings like the BSH ones, plus ones that fit on the passenger side PCV ports, that would be pretty much ideal. I'm sure they would sell a bunch.

Old 06-01-2011 | 09:12 PM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 5zero4
looks really nice! What will the cost of this one be?

If I can make a suggestion. If they have the ability to make fittings like the BSH ones, plus ones that fit on the passenger side PCV ports, that would be pretty much ideal. I'm sure they would sell a bunch.
The fitting are in the works they will be done hopefully next week and yes they will be flush for both side. The goal is easy install no cutting just plugs in to what we have like it came from the factory.

As for cost till they are done with all the fittings I don't even have a clue they are doing everything they can for use to keep the cost low and once they have the kinks worked out they are going to set up a group buy.

Old 06-01-2011 | 09:20 PM
5zero4
4th Gear
so they will be using 1/2" hose?

I have 5/8" currently on mine, but due to lack of fittings available I had to cut/ splice into my factory hose. It's working fine, but one less place for a vacuum/ boost leak is always a good option.

Old 06-01-2011 | 09:47 PM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 5zero4
so they will be using 1/2" hose?

I have 5/8" currently on mine, but due to lack of fittings available I had to cut/ splice into my factory hose. It's working fine, but one less place for a vacuum/ boost leak is always a good option.
Yep 1/2 inch

Old 06-01-2011 | 10:20 PM
rohicks
2nd Gear
I agree too. I know they are busy, but lets see some soon!

I will be buying one as soon as this is worked out for the 2011. Correct fittings and I will buy right away!

The dual cans look nice.

Old 06-01-2011 | 10:27 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Part of the reason they use 1/2 instead of 3/4 is because PCV hose in 3/4 is hard to find and a ton more expensive they could use other hose that is cheaper but the oil will eat it up and it's just not worth it. As far as flow is concerned the 1/2 inch is more then the car will ever need through those lines.
This is extremely concerning…

I've had a MINI service technician warn me specifically against catch cans that restrict the flow as it is from the factory. Said they've had cars come in with serious repair bills that were due to the use of a catch can with 1/4" fittings.

Oh, but this is 1/2", not 1/4"…
1/4" is a reduction in cross-sectional area of nearly 90%
1/2" is still a reduction in cross-sectional area of nearly 60%

And the mesh, while necessary to help get the oil out of the air, only pushes that figure lower. It's tolerable at the full 3/4", but when you're starting out already down by 60%…

Without the full 3/4" fittings, I'm not touching this with a 10 foot pole.
I'd strongly advise others to do the same and for BT to reconsider this part of their design.

A shame; I was really excited about this, too.

Old 06-01-2011 | 11:05 PM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by fishbert

I've had a MINI service technician warn me specifically against catch cans that restrict the flow as it is from the factory. Said they've had cars come in with serious repair bills that were due to the use of a catch can with 1/4" fittings.

And the mesh, while necessary to help get the oil out of the air, only pushes that figure lower. It's tolerable at the full 3/4", but when you're starting out already down by 60%…

I'd strongly advise others to do the same and for BT to reconsider this part of their design.

Yes you have a valid point, but the restriction of flow rate at 1/2 to 3/4 at the pressures that even the most heavily moded Mini would be seeing is not enough to justify the cost difference between 1/2 to 3/4. Yes 1/2 inch hose has a more restricted flow rate at lets say 100 PSI 3/4 would flow a ton easer but you must take in to account the pressure we are really working with witch at 100 PSI 1/2 may only flow 60-70% of what 3/4 would flow but at lets say 30 PIS the flow rate different would only at max be with in 10% or less. That is where you run in to problems with 1/4 hose you are at 30 PSI you are reaching the max flow rate that the space in the hose can handle. But never the less I will make sure they hear your concerns over this and see if anything can be done with out killing the cost witch is something they are really trying to keep low for us. I mean tho don't get me wrong I would love to have bigger hose on there .

Old 06-01-2011 | 11:45 PM
jomama
4th Gear

just curious, does the bsh occ run 3/4" tubing? a reduction to 1/2" from 3/4" cuts the cross section by 55.6%, so slightly more than half. whether this is overly restrictive depends on the volume that is moved out of the pcv valve. if 3/4" is more than enough to carry the volume, then 1/2" might be sufficient. if 3/4" is the at the lower cross-sectional limit for carrying the volume, the 1/2" might be an issue. fortunately, this is an issue mostly for the pre-2011s since the 2011+ cars only have the crankcase outlet on the vacuum side.

Old 06-01-2011 | 11:47 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Yes you have a valid point, but the restriction of flow rate at 1/2 to 3/4 at the pressures that even the most heavily moded Mini would be seeing is not enough to justify the cost difference between 1/2 to 3/4. Yes 1/2 inch hose has a more restricted flow rate at lets say 100 PSI 3/4 would flow a ton easer but you must take in to account the pressure we are really working with witch at 100 PSI 1/2 may only flow 60-70% of what 3/4 would flow but at lets say 30 PIS the flow rate different would only at max be with in 10% or less. That is where you run in to problems with 1/4 hose you are at 30 PSI you are reaching the max flow rate that the space in the hose can handle. But never the less I will make sure they hear your concerns over this and see if anything can be done with out killing the cost witch is something they are really trying to keep low for us. I mean tho don't get me wrong I would love to have bigger hose on there .
30 psi? … 100 psi? … What are you talking about?! The hoses in a PCV system spend the great majority of their life under a relative vacuum! Their entire purpose for existence is to give the crankcase negative pressure relative to the atmosphere. The risks with reduced flow through these hoses is that the amount of air they can carry may not be able to keep up with the blow-by that's trying to pressurize your crankcase.

What's more is that necking down the volume means the speed of the air would have to increase to preserve the same rate of flow. That's not something you want if you're trying to give oil suspended in crankcase fumes a chance to condense out.

The simple version of my concern:
I trust BMW/MINI to have sized the hoses of their PCV system properly. I am not going to roll the dice on my car's engine to the tune of a nearly 60% reduction in cross-sectional area of said hoses. BSH, 42 Draft Designs, etc. have all found a way to put a can with 3/4" fittings on the market… why can't BT? Cutting cost corners in this area of the design is not something I'm interested in.

Old 06-02-2011 | 05:19 AM
gjn25
|
3rd Gear
30 psi? … 100 psi? … What are you talking about?! The hoses in a PCV system spend the great majority of their life under a relative vacuum! Their entire purpose for existence is to give the crankcase negative pressure relative to the atmosphere. The risks with reduced flow through these hoses is that the amount of air they can carry may not be able to keep up with the blow-by that's trying to pressurize your crankcase.

What's more is that necking down the volume means the speed of the air would have to increase to preserve the same rate of flow. That's not something you want if you're trying to give oil suspended in crankcase fumes a chance to condense out.

The simple version of my concern:
I trust BMW/MINI to have sized the hoses of their PCV system properly. I am not going to roll the dice on my car's engine to the tune of a nearly 60% reduction in cross-sectional area of said hoses. BSH, 42 Draft Designs, etc. have all found a way to put a can with 3/4" fittings on the market… why can't BT? Cutting cost corners in this area of the design is not something I'm interested in.
What I was referring to is that flow is relative to how much air you are trying to move unless you are at the max pressure limits of your hose and my info over flow rates comes from an engineer that designs intakes along with other parts for a few major racing teams from F1 teams to rally cars. I called him when this all started and his words not mine after doing some math to figure out flow rates at vacuum and under boost "1/2 is more then enough to flow the fumes with out accelerating or restricting the flow through the Minis PCV system." again this is not my words this came from an engineer that all he does is flow rate math and design and was also okayed with the Mini techs that I contacted when this all started they said the same thing your guy said 1/4 would kill the motor but 1/2 was fine the had worked on a ton with 1/2 and never seen a problem at all. Flow Rate is relevant to the amount of mass being pushed through at the pressure it is being moved in any given space. If this makes sense.

And yes this size change was a concern for me and BT form day one this was not just a way of cutting corners.

Vacuum can/is be measured in PSI, I was just using random numbers to make my point easer to understand. Sorry for the confusion and please do not think I'm arguing with you I'm just explaining how the choice was made and I would love it if they could go up to 3/4 but its not 100% necessary for this application.

Last edited by gjn25; 06-02-2011 at 05:55 AM.
Old 06-02-2011 | 08:47 AM
MaverickGun
3rd Gear
just curious, does the bsh occ run 3/4" tubing?
BSH, 42 Draft Designs, etc. have all found a way to put a can with 3/4" fittings on the market…
Not to complicate things or anything, but I checked under my hood this morning and saw that the BSH OCC uses 5/8" tubing. Unless BSH has changed it's design since I bought it last June, and seeing as how I haven't read any complaints about that size tubing, I guess that means there's another option BT can consider that people would be happy with.

Personally, I wouldn't mind paying a little more for better sized tubing. I'd already be paying extra for a dual can setup, so spending a bit more cash on tubing doesn't seem so bad.

Last edited by MaverickGun; 06-02-2011 at 09:30 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Billet Tech DUAL OCC PROTOTYPE IS IN!!!!!!