Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Heat Shield MOD

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 01:27 PM
badinfluence
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heat Shield MOD

All,
I used the Stage 1 Alta tune and hit 19psi last night. After about 3 minutes my turbo was a cherry and it scared the **** out of me. I can't tell if I was running lean or what, but it was pretty scary. So I went back to the Stock tune and decided I needed to make a mod to keep that from happening again.

I had an idea to cut 1' slits in the stock turbo heatshield and add a metal fan with a metal blade to spit heat away from the turbo. The slits will be masked by the NM heat shield when it comes in, but will keep the turbo from seizing due to heat. I run Royal Purple oil, that helps but just isn't enough...

Old 08-20-2011, 04:02 PM
badinfluence
1st Gear
OK, Got the slots cut. Cut 3 on each side of the arch of the turbo. At higher speeds, the hood scoop rams air into the engine cabin, and it makes it way around the turbo's slots. I ran it hard and noticed when I poped the hood it was not nearly as hot as usual. It does not look pretty by any means, but if you put the NM heatshield over it, it will make it look more clean. I had not added the fan yet, but don't think I will need it at all. What I have done so far is helping imensely. Highly recommend this mod, if you have a 10mm wench, cut off wheel, and 2 hours.... (1 hour for getting the damn shield off....)

Old 08-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Floor-is
2nd Gear
I'd like to see some pictures actually. Don't have the R56, just a R53 and wonder how it looks like and if it could be a possibility for others

Old 08-20-2011, 05:04 PM
badinfluence
1st Gear
Ill snap some in a few. It is raining here, but it is going to let up in a few. Give me an hour and they will be there.

Just a note, I was not too worried about how it looks, just that it worked. Just saying don't expect a David from this one.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Floor-is
2nd Gear
I'll be asleep in about 20mins, but will look at it tomorrow
it's been 3AM here :P

Old 08-20-2011, 11:40 PM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm not sure cutting holes in your turbo heatshield is a good idea.

If you want to increase the air flow and cooling to the turbo, have you considered this mini challenge part. Sits underneath the scoop and directs airflow to the turbo. It works well.

http://www.minigenuineparts.co.uk/mi...lengeVent.html

or alternatively try the new mini challenge bonnet scoop

http://www.minigenuineparts.co.uk/mi...engeScoop.html

I haven't tried this one myself. Pretty pricey

Robbo

Old 08-25-2011, 03:16 PM
ThatMiNiGuy
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by badinfluence
All,
I used the Stage 1 Alta tune and hit 19psi last night. After about 3 minutes my turbo was a cherry and it scared the **** out of me. I can't tell if I was running lean or what, but it was pretty scary. So I went back to the Stock tune and decided I needed to make a mod to keep that from happening again.

I had an idea to cut 1' slits in the stock turbo heatshield and add a metal fan with a metal blade to spit heat away from the turbo. The slits will be masked by the NM heat shield when it comes in, but will keep the turbo from seizing due to heat. I run Royal Purple oil, that helps but just isn't enough...
Clogged cat. converters maybe? Lean mix, fuel pump or filter? Check logs with Alta AP?

Heat is good for the turbo keeps exhaust gases moving quickly, improves turbo response and retaining boost pressure or else they wouldn't sell turbo blankets for turbine housings to aid in trapping heat which also keep the engine cool. Ceramic/Thermal coatings as well.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:47 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Turbos turn orange from heat as it is an iron turbine... this is normal especially at night to witness it after a hard run. It gets red hot stock...

Old 08-26-2011, 02:52 PM
ThatMiNiGuy
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
Turbos turn orange from heat as it is an iron turbine... this is normal especially at night to witness it after a hard run. It gets red hot stock...
True but if it's glowing without hard run then clogged cats or leaning out.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:38 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
OP stated hes running a higher boost "staged" tune, also for 3 minutes which im sure we can conclude it was hard. These ecu's if lean conditions exist will throw codes, also a " clogged "catalytic converter, which i have yet to ever see with my own eyes only was really prevalent in the years of leaded fuel. For a 2007 to have a "clogged" cat would mean new age technology has failed us... and i highly doubt the turbine would glow read without the egt's of under boost loads.

Originally Posted by PAImportTuner
True but if it's glowing without hard run then clogged cats or leaning out.