Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Regarding the Fuelpump.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011 | 10:58 AM
JS352
1st Gear
i was told bosch dont make the high pressure fuel pump is this right or wrong? and if bosch dont make it who does? anybody know?

Old 12-12-2011 | 11:31 AM
Raymazing
4th Gear
That boost ceiling is whats stopping me from making my goals. I was told to replace the map sensors for JCW ones but then the map tables in the ecu are all F'ed up. As far as the HPFP Czar is the one to talk to.

Old 12-12-2011 | 11:44 AM
ignitionmodule
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JS352
i was told bosch dont make the high pressure fuel pump is this right or wrong? and if bosch dont make it who does? anybody know?
For which car in this thread? Took me 30 seconds on Google to answer.

Old 12-12-2011 | 11:53 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Raymazing
That boost ceiling is whats stopping me from making my goals. I was told to replace the map sensors for JCW ones but then the map tables in the ecu are all F'ed up. As far as the HPFP Czar is the one to talk to.
Have you tried to convince the dealer to reprogram the ECU with JCW software?

That was my next step, but lucky for me I don't have to worry about it anymore

Old 12-12-2011 | 12:07 PM
JS352
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ignitionmodule
For which car in this thread? Took me 30 seconds on Google to answer.
the r56 mini, i cant find anything on google about who makes the high pressure fuel pump if you know the answer could you share it please?

Old 12-12-2011 | 12:11 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
the r56 mini, i cant find anything on google about who makes the high pressure fuel pump if you know the answer could you share it please?
He has answered the question in at least 3 posts he has made.

It is made by BOSCH.

Old 12-12-2011 | 12:21 PM
JS352
1st Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
He has answered the question in at least 3 posts he has made.

It is made by BOSCH.
but i was told by peugeout bosch dont make the high pressure fuel pump for the r56 mini i originally had a peugeot 207gti which has the same engine as my mini and when my fuel pump broke on my peugeot the peugeot warranty was not covering cars just outside warranty and so i had to pay for a new 1 myself and that was about £900 and i dont want to pay for a mini 1 so if i no who makes it then maybe i can get 1 from them cheaper?

Old 12-12-2011 | 01:13 PM
ignitionmodule
4th Gear
but i was told by peugeout bosch dont make the high pressure fuel pump for the r56 mini i originally had a peugeot 207gti which has the same engine as my mini and when my fuel pump broke on my peugeot the peugeot warranty was not covering cars just outside warranty and so i had to pay for a new 1 myself and that was about £900 and i dont want to pay for a mini 1 so if i no who makes it then maybe i can get 1 from them cheaper?
No such luck. True, the Mini got stuck with a French engine but the fuel pump game for direct injection engines is mainly Bosch and Continental (both have poor hpfp designs). There was some swapping back and forth on BMW but you will not find these particular fuel pumps any cheaper yet because they are still under the dealer service contract, not aftermarket. Just like the BMW problem, the fuel pump price will not come down until the production series is discontinued and some other supplier decides to pick up the aftermarket business.

For fuel systems - and I speak mainly for Bosch here, you will generally find that the supplier likes to package the entire system for a car and will charge extra if the automaker uses a component from a competitor. Bosch ECUs prefer to be grouped with Bosch injectors, MAF, etc sensors, fuel pumps and so on. Try and save a dollar on somebody else's injectors and Bosch no longer gives you the "system" price.

Since you're quoting prices in pounds, European aftermarket gets even trickier. Some countries (probably not the UK) will not allow aftermarket parts into the country unless they are original equipment. Germany, for example, has obscene replacement part prices because the OE part has to be produced for old cars in very low volumes but North American suppliers may lump all of Europe together simply to make up more production volume and ship one time.

There will probably be a reliable replacement pump at some point but I suspect it will be a couple more years.

Old 12-12-2011 | 01:24 PM
JS352
1st Gear
^^^ thank you

Old 12-12-2011 | 03:41 PM
Raymazing
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Have you tried to convince the dealer to reprogram the ECU with JCW software?

That was my next step, but lucky for me I don't have to worry about it anymore
I haven't tried that...

Why dont you have to worry about it? Decided to keep it under that level or found a workaround?

Old 12-12-2011 | 04:58 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
I haven't tried that...

Why dont you have to worry about it? Decided to keep it under that level or found a workaround?
Sold the R56 and bought a GP

But yea, I would be interested to know if that would work out, it was next on my list to do. Flash it with JCW software, throw on the JCW sensors......then get re-tuned. The hard part will be convincing the dealer to do it. Nothing that some cases of beer to the service department couldn't fix though

Old 12-12-2011 | 05:55 PM
Raymazing
4th Gear
Sold the R56 and bought a GP

But yea, I would be interested to know if that would work out, it was next on my list to do. Flash it with JCW software, throw on the JCW sensors......then get re-tuned. The hard part will be convincing the dealer to do it. Nothing that some cases of beer to the service department couldn't fix though
I see :D

I will be trying to pull these shenanigans at the dealer post haste. I have the JCW MAF on it now but S map sensors. The JCW map sensors have the same part number as the S units but are supposedly not the same. I think the MAP ceiling is in the ecu not in the sensor.

Old 12-13-2011 | 08:23 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
*delete...double post

Old 12-13-2011 | 08:24 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
I see :D

I will be trying to pull these shenanigans at the dealer post haste. I have the JCW MAF on it now but S map sensors. The JCW map sensors have the same part number as the S units but are supposedly not the same. I think the MAP ceiling is in the ecu not in the sensor.
The JCW map sensors are not the same as the S...and they DO have different part numbers. They do apparently have the same pressure limit of 3bar though.

And you are mostly correct in that the pressure ceiling is a voltage limit in the ECU mapping. I do think you need both the JCW sensors and ECU to get it function properly. Let me know if you successfully get them to do it!

Old 12-13-2011 | 09:47 AM
Raymazing
4th Gear
I will definitely let you know how this endeavor works out thumper.

Do you know if the ECUs are different other than the actual program inside?

Old 12-13-2011 | 10:27 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
I will definitely let you know how this endeavor works out thumper.

Do you know if the ECUs are different other than the actual program inside?
ECU's are the same, Bosch MED17's, both with same part #

They are going to give you some line of BS about the software being tied to VIN blah blah blah. But its not like your car is under warranty anyway, so they shouldn't try to fight you on it...they just don't want to be responsible if something goes wrong. Just make it obvious that you assume full responsibility

Haha we've totally hijacked this thread.

Old 12-13-2011 | 10:41 AM
Raymazing
4th Gear
ECU's are the same, Bosch MED17's, both with same part #

They are going to give you some line of BS about the software being tied to VIN blah blah blah. But its not like your car is under warranty anyway, so they shouldn't try to fight you on it...they just don't want to be responsible if something goes wrong. Just make it obvious that you assume full responsibility

Haha we've totally hijacked this thread.
Unfortunately my local dealership Orlando MINI hasnt been the greatest about helping me with my quest for more power (despite being WAY out of warranty and not wanting anything for free). Im really gonna give this a try. Do you think that COBB will hassle me about the AP needing a change?

Old 12-13-2011 | 10:50 AM
czar
4th Gear
I don't want to put a dampener on your endeavour to get BMW MINI to load the JCW ECU file map on your MCS, they simply won't entertain the idea or do it, just imagine the implications if they did do it for you (1) it would make the JCW model seem pointless, and they would have to open the door to all other MCS owners wishing for a full factory JCW tune, and not just the JCW tuning kit, currently offered as the only alternative for the MCS ECU.

Old 12-13-2011 | 10:56 AM
Raymazing
4th Gear
I am with you Czar. I am goin to take a swing at it though. I've gotten some stuff done over the years that "couldnt" be done by dropping off a case of beer and a pack of cigarettes.

Old 12-13-2011 | 11:02 AM
czar
4th Gear
All I can say is good luck, but do remember this is a public forum, and BMW MINI owners, potential customers and folks looking for technical help/assistance, are not the only ones reading the forum boards!!

Old 12-13-2011 | 11:26 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
I am with you Czar. I am goin to take a swing at it though. I've gotten some stuff done over the years that "couldnt" be done by dropping off a case of beer and a pack of cigarettes.
Ding ding ding....

My advice would be to make friends with one of the tech's or the shop foreman...don't start with the service advisors. You'll be surprised what you can get a tech to do with some beer Keep it on the DL with them.

It might take a few dealers till you find cool enough people to help you out

Haha I had a friend who invested in a start-up vodka company simply for the ability to bribe people with cases of vodka haha. You'd be amazed at how much stuff he got for "free" or got things done that "couldn't be done" out of that whole endevour.

PM me with the outcome if you don't want to discuss publically.