Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Catless Downpipe with Resonator Delete!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 08:50 AM
BigMiniAl
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catless Downpipe with Resonator Delete!!!

So it is quite well know that the Riss Racing catless down pipe has some fitment issues but there was a guy on ebay selling them so cheap that I took the plunge. Upon installation the fitment issue was confirmed and not only did I need to move the whole straight pipe back a bit to make it fit but there was still a small exhaust leak which I had to plug temporarily with some exhaust cement. At this point, I was still very happy with what felt like some good power gains but especially the sound. Pops and burbles on demand galore and definitely a much more prevalent, sportier exhaust note. I was like a little kid again all giddy and falling in love with my second factory JCW all over again but I knew the exhaust cement wouldn't last and wanted to get that resolved. I ended up finding a little custom exhaust shop in NJ that mentions on their website that one of their specialties is the Mini resonator delete so I dropped by. I really loved the sound my exhaust was putting out with the DP installed now and thought the resonator delete in addition to might be a bit much for my daily driver. My biggest concern was taking care of the exhaust leak once and for all. The owner of the shop told me that if I wanted to do the resonator delete he could take it off and then put it back on if I did not like it so I said what the heck, let's give it a shot. He custom fitted the RR DP with the straight pipe to get rid of the exhaust leak permanently and move the exhaust to its normal position and did the res. delete. My car now sounds INCREDIBLE!!! I have significant burbles on EVERY shift and when I push it hard the pops are like a shotgun!! I will try to do some video and post it soon. Price was very reasonable for these mods and I highly recommend them.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:53 AM
old81
M6
Appears your a happy MINI owner with a good deal.

Are you getting CELs with the catless DP or is that resolved in another way.

Looking forward to some video/sound clips, perhaps you can get some driveby vid.

Don

Old 12-04-2011, 01:44 PM
ACallahan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Our environment would be happy if you kept the cat and deleted the rezonator, I think you would still be happy with the sound and you would be doing your part in keeping the air we breathe a little cleaner.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:03 PM
BigMiniAl
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ACallahan
Our environment would be happy if you kept the cat and deleted the rezonator, I think you would still be happy with the sound and you would be doing your part in keeping the air we breathe a little cleaner.
Oh please, this isn't the forum for posts like this. I'll enjoy my car any way I would like and already do my part for the environment. You should have bought a Prius or a volt. Otherwise, posts like this just make you a hypocrite.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:05 PM
BigMiniAl
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by old81
Appears your a happy MINI owner with a good deal.

Are you getting CELs with the catless DP or is that resolved in another way.

Looking forward to some video/sound clips, perhaps you can get some driveby vid.

Don
Yes I have a CEL but plan on getting rid of that with an AP soon.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:51 PM
minimike21
5th Gear
how is there not a video yet!! i need to here this!

Old 12-04-2011, 05:56 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bigminial
oh please, this isn't the forum for posts like this
+1

Old 12-04-2011, 06:08 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

...Can't wait to see video!

Old 12-05-2011, 01:18 PM
ArchetypeJCW
2nd Gear
Question: Did the Downpipe and the resonator delete make the exhaust overall louder? Or just different sounding and louder WOT? I have been considering a downpipe but, I commute in my car. So, I don't want to turn it into a super loud car.

Another off the wall question. Your not the Al that used to be really into Subaru's a while back are you? If so, I met you at Atco when you were just starting out with them about 10 years ago. I had a B5 S4 at the time.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:38 PM
dj.papazian
3rd Gear
I have this setup for my jcw as well (catless with a resonator delete) and the mans not joking. it sounds amazing. it sounds pretty beastly. congrats on your install and you will enjoy it as each day goes by!

Old 12-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Drobinson1692
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
please get vids up soon :D i have a riss racing downpipe

Old 12-05-2011, 07:30 PM
BigMiniAl
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ArchetypeJCW
Question: Did the Downpipe and the resonator delete make the exhaust overall louder? Or just different sounding and louder WOT? I have been considering a downpipe but, I commute in my car. So, I don't want to turn it into a super loud car.

Another off the wall question. Your not the Al that used to be really into Subaru's a while back are you? If so, I met you at Atco when you were just starting out with them about 10 years ago. I had a B5 S4 at the time.
Definitely made it louder, different sounding and a lot more pops & burbles. I was lucky enough to get a chance to first experience it with just the DP and then the DP & resonator. I commute about 80 miles daily and had the same concerns. Just the DP added a lot of character, pops & burbles, etc. and still kept it very tolerable for a daily. The resonator delete admittedly took it to another level, especially under hard acceleration. First of all, the car idles like an old Mercedes diesel which I think is pretty cool. When pushing it hard, there can be a little drone and it will be LOUD. Although if you are just driving casually like most people do on their daily commute, changing gears 2k-3k rpm, it is absolutely fine and barely noticeable. Probably not for everybody but I absolutely love it. I think you will probably be happy with just doing 1 of the 2 mods unless you are like me and won't be happy until you have gone to the extreme.

Sorry, I'm not that Al.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:33 PM
BigMiniAl
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Drobinson1692
please get vids up soon :D i have a riss racing downpipe
Just took delivery of my Cravenspeed iPhone mount so I'll try to take some vids after install.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:36 PM
BigMiniAl
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by minimike21
how is there not a video yet!! i need to here this!
Just got Cravenspeed iPhone mount and will try some vids after install.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:39 PM
BigMiniAl
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
+1
Thanks for the support, still can't believe that post was actually written here.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:40 PM
BigMiniAl
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by dj.papazian
I have this setup for my jcw as well (catless with a resonator delete) and the mans not joking. it sounds amazing. it sounds pretty beastly. congrats on your install and you will enjoy it as each day goes by!
Thanks, Beastly is the perfect word.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Video???

Old 12-08-2011, 01:28 AM
rum4
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
video????

Old 12-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Video!!!!!

Old 12-09-2011, 05:45 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Great, announce to the world that you are breaking a Federal law... Tampering with emissions related equipment is a crime, punishable by a nice fine... Brilliant...

I'm not saying don't do it, (but my lungs would perfer you didn't), just don't be stupid and announce it to the world...

Old 12-09-2011, 06:52 AM
BigMiniAl
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by richardsperry
Great, announce to the world that you are breaking a Federal law... Tampering with emissions related equipment is a crime, punishable by a nice fine... Brilliant...

I'm not saying don't do it, (but my lungs would perfer you didn't), just don't be stupid and announce it to the world...
Oh well, guess I wanted to be stupid. I know the law and know what I am doing. I would hope that our federal government has better things to do than scour the internet for people who have modified their cars. You sir, however, clearly do not. This forum is about people having fun with their cars and helping each other out, not patronizing its members just because you disapprove of something that is posted or done to a car.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:04 AM
Maugre
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My lungs did not notice any difference when you removed your cat, I still seem to be OK. Have fun and enjoy, Video yet . (p.s. I will not rat you out to the feds). Good luck.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:19 AM
dj.papazian
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BigMiniAl
Oh well, guess I wanted to be stupid. I know the law and know what I am doing. I would hope that our federal government has better things to do than scour the internet for people who have modified their cars. You sir, however, clearly do not. This forum is about people having fun with their cars and helping each other out, not patronizing its members just because you disapprove of something that is posted or done to a car.

why do people see a thread that they don't approve of, click on it, and criticize the person modding his car? If you don't like the title of the thread, don't click on it! It's like me replying to a "Official Yellow Window Tint" thread and telling people how stupid they are for doing it. Yea, that's my opinion, that's why I didn't tint my windows yellow. Doesn't mean they shouldn't either!
There are thousands of people going catless for their own reasons as we speak, and thousands more that will in the future. No matter how much someone voices their opinion about it, people are still going to do it. If they get caught, don't worry about the fine, as they will be paying it, not you.
/rant

Old 12-09-2011, 08:20 AM
dj.papazian
3rd Gear
oh and I second the posters above me. Lets see that video BigMiniAl!

Old 12-09-2011, 08:32 AM
Ronin82
2nd Gear
C'mon,... Video??!!!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Catless Downpipe with Resonator Delete!!!