Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain BSH Oil Catch Can & PCV Delete

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 09:55 AM
john171
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SooperCuperErik
Has anyone who put on the caps and the catch can noticed blue smoke when the car is cold (specifically when taking off from an extended idle, aka a stop light)...?

I get a plume of blue out the exhaust when the car is cold and I sit at a stop light for 20+ seconds.. after that... nothing. All is good.

Power/Boost is all there... can't imagine why this would happen suddenly after installing...

Unless.. during production somehow the in/out ports were swapped and I have the valve cover hose going into the outlet of the can... I've heard some of their cans were made without baffles... so who knows.

I do plan to remove the can and see if it smokes.. but then I have to put the IM pcv hose back... which is going to be a PITA since I pulled the hose out already.
No problem here, and as far as I know the OCC does not have an in/out designation for the 2 ports.
OK, just checked the BSH site and their new can does have IN / OUT designated in their mounting instructions PDF, I could not find the paperwork that came with mine so I sent them an email asking about that. My OCC has the dipstick on the top of the can, their new can does not.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:14 AM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Their new can doesn't? I got this can two weeks ago...

The left port is supposed to be in/right port is supposed to be out. Maybe it was mixed up. I may try swapping them

Old 07-26-2012, 10:54 AM
john171
3rd Gear
Their new can doesn't? I got this can two weeks ago...

The left port is supposed to be in/right port is supposed to be out. Maybe it was mixed up. I may try swapping them
Did you get it directly from BSH, resellers may have still the "older" cans in stock.
Does the can you got have the dipstick?
If so you may have gotten one of the older models.
Are you saying that your paperwork/instructions indicate an IN/OUT for the ports?
By pure chance that is how I installed mine, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good!

Last edited by john171; 07-26-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:41 PM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is whats on their website
http://www.bshspeedshop.com/bshstore...Catch-Can.html
Afaik, it didn't used to come with a dipstick, then it was added.

http://www.bshspeedshop.com/bshstore...ons/n14cc1.pdf
Look at #8, the caption explains the ports

Old 07-27-2012, 02:45 PM
john171
3rd Gear
This is whats on their website
Afaik, it didn't used to come with a dipstick, then it was added.

http://www.bshspeedshop.com/bshstore...ons/n14cc1.pdf
Look at #8, the caption explains the ports
That is just wrong, if they have upgraded their product then their instructions should be updated as well! I had looked at those instructions/pictures, and linked to them in my first reply, to you, and made the mistake of thinking that they were the newest set. So color me , I know better than to assume, at least I thought I did!

Old 07-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Chilao
1st Gear
I'm selling my BSH catch can along with the boost tap w/ plug and a syringe. The instructions are also included. All pieces are in good condition.
This set-up is over $200 new.
I'm selling mine for $100 including shipping.
DM if interest

Old 07-28-2012, 06:34 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the one I just got direct from BSH and installed and what I can see on their site, it is the only one they are offering for the N14 R56. I did not get a syringe. I got the Boost Tap, but that was an add-on. The only instruction I got was here on NAM and from their site. I thought I was buying the latest and greatest for the application, no?

Last edited by MikewithaMini; 07-28-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: add URL
Old 07-28-2012, 08:56 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Yep, you got the right stuff!

This syringe works well, it's the one I have.

http://www.harborfreight.com/battery-filler-96571.html

Dave

Old 08-07-2012, 10:39 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
Finally someone did it right and did a little show and tell! I have the plugs but am not ready to pony up for the ridiculous cost of a BSH catch can.
Hey Countryboyshane,

Where did you get the caps or plugs? Can you provide a link to where you purchased them or where you can get them. I want to order the plugs the same time I get the BSH OCC. I don't mind spending $179, when the NM Engineering OCC is $339., which by the way is ridiculous. I mean it is a nice looking can, but for almost $350.00, that is a no go.

The Billet OCC, that I saw somewhere is nice to, and M7 OCC, is good as well, they even have a gauge to see how much is in the can.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:44 AM
JCW Jet
1st Gear
Speedracer0212,

Just posted this on another thread, but the caps are available at ECS tuning....$10 ea(need 2 plugs), plus $15 in shipping ..so your BSH can is $180 plus $35 for plugs. Personally I like the redesigned NM Oil Catch can....yes it's N14 only right now - BUT it comes with the rear PCV block plug, allowing you to keep the hose attached for Seafoam treatments. I'll take the NM quality any day and pay a few extra bucks....and the NM oil catch can for the N18 should be released this fall just in time for when engine goo really accumulates. I found the best price on the NM catch can at:

http://shop.MiniDynamics.com/NM-Bill...n-NM498855.htm

Old 08-07-2012, 11:55 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottG
Speedracer0212,

Just posted this on another thread, but the caps are available at ECS tuning....$10 ea(need 2 plugs), plus $15 in shipping ..so your BSH can is $180 plus $35 for plugs. Personally I like the redesigned NM Oil Catch can....yes it's N14 only right now - BUT it comes with the rear PCV block plug, allowing you to keep the hose attached for Seafoam treatments. I'll take the NM quality any day and pay a few extra bucks....and the NM oil catch can for the N18 should be released this fall just in time for when engine goo really accumulates. I found the best price on the NM catch can at:

http://shop.MiniDynamics.com/NM-Bill...n-NM498855.htm
So basically, NM Engineering makes a plug for the valve cover connection as well as a plug for the hose the leads to manifold if I am not mistaken, is that right? If this is what your are saying then, this is alright in my book. As I do perform sea-foam treatments.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:02 PM
JCW Jet
1st Gear
They only block the PCV at the passenger side valve cover with one of their cool blue aluminum connectors....it snaps in perfect, the hole is blocked, then the hose slips back in the plug and is clipped in place like new. The hose stays connected at the manifold location....If you go the BSH route with caps, you have to remove the manifold cap and valve cover cap then re-install the hose for Seafoam treatments.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:38 PM
john171
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ScottG
They only block the PCV at the passenger side valve cover with one of their cool blue aluminum connectors....it snaps in perfect, the hole is blocked, then the hose slips back in the plug and is clipped in place like new. The hose stays connected at the manifold location....If you go the BSH route with caps, you have to remove the manifold cap and valve cover cap then re-install the hose for Seafoam treatments.
BSH offers a Dual Boost Tap that plugs the opening at the passenger side that allows you to keep the hose connected for Sea Foam treatment plus vacuum hose connections.
Here is a LINK

Old 08-23-2012, 09:39 PM
710Ryan
2nd Gear
Love the SS lines and finishers. I'm getting superknock codes on my accessport so I pretty much need to seafoam and add an occ and even possibly take everything part and clean it from what I've heard.

Anyways I was curious what the length & diameter of the hoses and finishers were used. Or if you have direct links that would be awesome I know they're from jegs and I want to order them when I order my occ. Thanks!

Old 08-24-2012, 03:12 AM
john171
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 710Ryan
Love the SS lines and finishers. I'm getting superknock codes on my accessport so I pretty much need to seafoam and add an occ and even possibly take everything part and clean it from what I've heard.

Anyways I was curious what the length & diameter of the hoses and finishers were used. Or if you have direct links that would be awesome I know they're from jegs and I want to order them when I order my occ. Thanks!
10AN, I ordered a 3' coil of the aluminium braided hose since I had already relocated my OCC twice, depending on where you are mounting your CC will be the determining factor.
BTW, be careful when working with the hose, those aluminium wire ends are sharp and will bite!
The JEGS clamp/finishers won't work due to the flared ends on the CC, be sure to order the Russell units, they are available from JEGS.
Good luck!

Last edited by john171; 08-24-2012 at 03:17 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:27 PM
JVG
1st Gear
what are these pcv adapters and where can you get them since the pictures are all gone now

Old 09-10-2013, 07:22 PM
john171
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JVG
what are these pcv adapters and where can you get them since the pictures are all gone now
Right here in the BSH Speed Shop:
http://www.bshspeedshop.com/bshstore...Boost-Tap.html