Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain BSH Oil Catch Can & PCV Delete

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:44 PM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BSH Oil Catch Can & PCV Delete

Hello fellow motorers...so many R56 owners with the N14 motor are familiar with the issues regarding the PCV hosing and oil recirculation through the tubro/intake manifold/intercooler. Fortunately....there is a fool proof way to end this problem for good and have your engine running much more efficient with cleaner smoother operation.

In this install I put in a BSH Oil Catch Can(link @ bottom)...excellent part extremely well made...which hooks into the air intake hose sensor on one end and on the other is the valve cover. Ideally it will suck all of the excess oil out of your turbo and intercooler which IS harmful to your engine. But what about the intake manifold? How do you get the oil out from there. Easiest solution I found was to remove the PCV hose completely! For those of you who are not familiar with the PCV hose it is this right here:

Basically the PCV is the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system, which forces blowby gases back (and a lot of oil coming with it) in the intake system.

By eliminating this hose...your catch can will suck oil out of your turbo, intercooler, AND your intake manifold!

Here are pictures of my install...I used braided stainless steel JEGS -10AN hose instead of the BSH hose it looks way nicer! I hope you find my instructions helpful. Of course any questions you may have, just reply to this post and I will answer all your questions!

Heres how it starts...
Make sure that you have all the required hardware for your install..definitely do not want to go half way and realize you are missing something!!
You should have:
-1 BSH OCC
-1 22" JEGS -10AN Braided Aluminum hose
-1 26" JEGS -10AN Braided Aluminum hose
-2 5/16" Allen key screws with washers
-1 17mm PCV adapter
-1 21mm PCV Adapter
-4 Hose Couplings
-1 Drain Plug

First step is to unclip the bracket for the PCV hose that holds it onto the valve cover by squeezing both sides and lifting it out:

Second step is to take off the hose connecting the valve cover to the intake pipe so your engine looks like this:

To do this unplug all wiring that may be in the way or prevents you from removing this hose.

Next you want to remove the PCV hose from the sensor on the intake pipe. To do this simply cut the zip tie holding them together:

And you get:

Next prepare your catch can...Because I used braided lines My install requires ALOT more force to get the braided aluminum lines onto the catch can and onto the 2 PCV adapters but after it looks like so:

The left outlet is the hose that goes to the valve cover...this one is cut to 22", and the right outlet goes to the intake pipe which is cut to 26".

Now...those lengths are only because of my mounting location. If you chose a different location the length of the hoses may vary. At this time I drilled into the plastic firewall cover on the passenger side and made 2 holes (3 because I messed up )

And then mounted the OCC:

Next step is to slide the PCV adapter onto each end of the braided hoses. This part is tricky just because it is a VERY tight fit and requires some force and WD-40 (not too much) but once they are attached to each end of the hose you can plug them into the correct locations and plug everything back together! Like so:

And the final install should look something like this:

For the PCV delete I did not take pictures but found a GREAT write up on how to do this install:
http://www.etuners.gr/en/index.php?s=12&t=299
(There are people on the forums who can get you the PCV block off caps...ask around I got mine from @Sacred Disorder and I know other users who got their from a member named @czar)
Hope this was a help!!

OCC:
http://www.bshspeedshop.com/bshstore...Catch-Can.html
BSH Install Instructions:
http://www.bshspeedshop.com/bshstore...ons/n14cc1.pdf

Old 03-07-2012, 09:27 PM
john171
3rd Gear
Nice write up and pix, I'm waiting to add the SS braided hoses to my set up which is basically the same as yours. When it's done I'll post up some photos.
Thanks!!

Old 03-08-2012, 10:06 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Finally someone did it right and did a little show and tell! I have the plugs but am not ready to pony up for the ridiculous cost of a BSH catch can.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:08 AM
MarkusMini
2nd Gear
Might have been discussed somewhere...how does this effect the warranty?

Old 03-08-2012, 10:18 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Where did you get the 17 & 21 mm PCV hose adapters?

Old 03-08-2012, 10:46 AM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
Finally someone did it right and did a little show and tell! I have the plugs but am not ready to pony up for the ridiculous cost of a BSH catch can.
Got mine used check the NAM marketplace i think I paid like $140 for mine.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:03 AM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
Where did you get the 17 & 21 mm PCV hose adapters?
The 17 & 21mm adapters come with the BSH OCC

Originally Posted by MarkusMini
Not sure but I would keep the PCV hose just incase you need a service. Luckly my dealership doesnt care about aftermarket parts. I have an uncatted exhaust and they still change my oil!

Old 03-08-2012, 11:25 AM
MarkusMini
2nd Gear
OK...thanks!

Old 03-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Tallman
3rd Gear
GREAT write-up and photo's. Muchly appreciated. This will be a great help for me, and my Helix IC.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkusMini
As has been discussed on all aftermarket parts, they have to prove that the aftermarket part caused whatever stock part to fail(i.e. if you wheel bearing fails they can't blame it on the OCC but, if you have an aftermarket intake and you MAF goes out then they can blame it on your intake)

Old 03-11-2012, 04:11 PM
MarkusMini
2nd Gear
Thanks Porthos! Just going to have a bin of OEM parts in my garage:-)

Old 03-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
That is what I have and mine is out of warranty. If I ever decide to get rid of it I am taking all the way back to stock. It is worth more and more marketable.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:00 PM
john171
3rd Gear
Finally got the braided hoses installed and rerouted for the BSH OCC. Installed one of the hose finishers, does a nice job of cleaning things up, ran out of time and will do the other 3 tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails BSH Oil Catch Can & PCV Delete-dsc_6858.jpg   BSH Oil Catch Can & PCV Delete-dsc_6859.jpg   BSH Oil Catch Can & PCV Delete-dsc_6860.jpg  
Old 03-11-2012, 06:04 PM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by john171
Finally got the braided hoses installed and rerouted for the BSH OCC. Installed one of the hose finishers, does a nice job of cleaning things up, ran out of time and will do the other 3 tomorrow.
looks really good man

Old 03-11-2012, 06:11 PM
john171
3rd Gear
CONT'D:

Sometime around mid summer the plan is to replace the Alta CAI with the one from DoS, which will allow a bit smoother run for the primary hose, and may even be able to shorten it a bit so it doesn't end up pressing on the MAF as it is now.

Attached Thumbnails BSH Oil Catch Can & PCV Delete-dsc_6861.jpg   BSH Oil Catch Can & PCV Delete-dsc_6862.jpg  
Old 03-11-2012, 07:54 PM
john171
3rd Gear
Thanks, I knew when I saw your pictures that they'd come really close to what I had in mind.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:58 PM
john171
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by phillipcoopersgates
The 17 & 21mm adapters come with the BSH OCC

Not sure but I would keep the PCV hose just incase you need a service. Luckly my dealership doesnt care about aftermarket parts. I have an uncatted exhaust and they still change my oil!
I've kept all my stock parts in case, but that never came up with our dealer, they did all the in warranty work without hesitation or questions.
Well they had questions, mostly about how much difference I might be noticing as the after-market changes got added from visit to visit.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Looks really clean with those hose finishers on there. Kudos on a very classy OCC install!

-Clint

Old 03-12-2012, 05:32 PM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
I've kept all my stock parts in case, but that never came up with our dealer, they did all the in warranty work without hesitation or questions.
Well they had questions, mostly about how much difference I might be noticing as the after-market changes got added from visit to visit.
How'd you get those hose finishers on there? I ordered the same ones but couldn't get them to fit over the BSH taps

Old 03-12-2012, 06:08 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I used the BSH dual boost tap to block off the passenger side PCV hose, I have a boost/vacuum gage and get my signal from there.

My dealer has no problem with my set up either. But, it is altering the cars emission equipment and there is a federal law against that. Just be sure you can put everything back to stock, in case you have to take your car in for an emission test/inspection.

I don't

Dave

Old 03-12-2012, 09:43 PM
john171
3rd Gear
How'd you get those hose finishers on there? I ordered the same ones but couldn't get them to fit over the BSH taps
I had the same problem with the Jegs units, ended up ordering the Russell units
from JEGS.
Here's the LINK.
They're almost double the price, but at this point an extra
$3.00 per connector wasn't worth worrying about!
The trick is to close the clamp so it fits inside the sleeve with the adjustment screw in the slot of the finisher positioned how you'll want it to end up, then open the clamp, which will spread the finisher sleeve as far as you need to fit it over the hose. After you get the hose on to the taps and you start to tighten the hose clamp be sure the tail stays inside the finisher sleeve.
A little oil on the taps helps and so does heating up the hose a bit with a heat gun, if you use heat be sure to wear gloves, that aluminium braid gets quite hot very quickly.
Oh, and watch out for those prickly wire ends, ended up trimming them with tin snips.
Good luck.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:35 AM
MattyKHZ
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fitting my BSH OCC when I am off over Easter as have the Evolve FMIC to fit at same time and may be doing some other work like water pump and thermostat whilst I am there.

Is it worth fitting the dual tap that I got with the OCC or does the 2 blanking plugs available from Peugeot do the same thing? If they do I might as well use those and sell the dual tap.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:56 AM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MattyKHZ
Fitting my BSH OCC when I am off over Easter as have the Evolve FMIC to fit at same time and may be doing some other work like water pump and thermostat whilst I am there.

Is it worth fitting the dual tap that I got with the OCC or does the 2 blanking plugs available from Peugeot do the same thing? If they do I might as well use those and sell the dual tap.
people say that the blockoff caps and the dual tap do the same thing but I find that hard to believe...its up to you but I would use the blockoff caps and sell your dual tap and use the money for the alta boost port...it installs over the MAP sensor

Old 03-13-2012, 11:57 AM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
I had the same problem with the Jegs units, ended up ordering the Russell units
from JEGS.
Here's the LINK.
They're almost double the price, but at this point an extra
$3.00 per connector wasn't worth worrying about!
The trick is to close the clamp so it fits inside the sleeve with the adjustment screw in the slot of the finisher positioned how you'll want it to end up, then open the clamp, which will spread the finisher sleeve as far as you need to fit it over the hose. After you get the hose on to the taps and you start to tighten the hose clamp be sure the tail stays inside the finisher sleeve.
A little oil on the taps helps and so does heating up the hose a bit with a heat gun, if you use heat be sure to wear gloves, that aluminium braid gets quite hot very quickly.
Oh, and watch out for those prickly wire ends, ended up trimming them with tin snips.
Good luck.
thanks for the info!

Old 03-13-2012, 12:52 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
people say that the blockoff caps and the dual tap do the same thing but I find that hard to believe...its up to you but I would use the blockoff caps and sell your dual tap and use the money for the alta boost port...it installs over the MAP sensor
Yes, they do the same thing, in that they block off the PCV line to the head cover. The dual boost tap retains the stock look and it already has a boost signal tap, an Alta boost port is not needed.

Dave

Quick Reply: Drivetrain BSH Oil Catch Can & PCV Delete