Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain oil catch can 1/2 full of water

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 02:38 PM
stripes03
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil catch can 1/2 full of water

I instaled an alta oil catch can 2 weeks ago and just checked it to find it 1/2 full of water is it nomal to find that much water in such littel time
I instaled it becuse when i changed my oil it had some milky looking stuf on the stick and under the cap but the oil looked good

Old 03-24-2012, 04:09 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ummm..wut? Water?!? The ONLY fluid that may show up in there is OIL blow by. The reason the catch can is there is to catch possible oil trying to make its way into the intake manifold or down to the intercooler piping depending on the routing. The milky white substance you are seeing is coolant in your oil. When that happens you have a head gasket problem. Get it looked at. Also, pull the catch can out until you sort your problems out or else you will create bigger ones....just sayin.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:40 PM
SpyVsSpy
2nd Gear
Use the search feature and type "oil catch can water" and you will see posts where it is common to catch water also some provide pictures of what it looks like. Doesn't sound like you have a problem. I catcha lot of water; however, I am in the soggy, damp, northwest.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:58 PM
terpsred
1st Gear
there can also be water condensation in your oil pan due to humid air while the car is sitting. As the oil comes up to temp it steams off, and can leave a milky white residue in the oil filler cap. If it has been cool and humid, I'd expect some water in the catch can. If you take a lot of very short drives where the oil does not come up to temp you can see this more often. It takes a while for the oil temp to reach enough temp to boil off the water. The water temp on the engine comes up very fast, but the oil takes longer.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:41 PM
tmors424
2nd Gear
I installed one on my 05 S about a year ago. Same issues as you. Cant understand the bennifit. You are basicly opening up your whole PCV system. Wish I would have never done it. Not sure about the other brands but, the Alta and the way it connects to the PCV system is a piece of crap. It also smells when you turn the car off and park it in the garage. I am going to change it back to stock.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:49 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Wow...water in a catch can is news to me. I have had several turbo'd vehicles with catch cans installed and not once have I ever had water in them nor of ever hearing water/condensation entering into the system. Meh...whatever though...

Old 03-24-2012, 07:35 PM
tmors424
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by UKSUV
Wow...water in a catch can is news to me. I have had several turbo'd vehicles with catch cans installed and not once have I ever had water in them nor of ever hearing water/condensation entering into the system. Meh...whatever though...
Does not make any sense to me ether but, I gotta drain mine every 3-4 weeks. Never any oil, just nasty water and the nasty white greasy residue that builds up around the cap and dipstick. It looks like dirty white lithium grease. I think its the way/method the Alta is connected into the PCV system. I hate mine. Just gotta take the time and the money and sort the OEM system back out. You have to cut an splice into the intake hoses to install the Alta so I gotta order new ones.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:25 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As said before, if a car takes short drives, the moisture doesn't get a chance to boil off. In the hot summer, if you drive 15 miles every other trip, you won't see it. It isn't the car, or the product, it is the drive habits (and needs) of the owner.

My commute is 3.7 miles each way and I warm the car up at least once every couple of days just for this reason. Either I take a stupidly long way home, or just let it idle before I leave work so that when I get home, the car is fully warmed up.

The temp gauge shows a car warmed up about 10 mins before it is actually up to operating temperature.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:12 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
For those of you that have water in your catch cans it is probably do to the way that it was installed. There is a lot of info on this subject if you do a search.
The correct method to install on 1st generations, which will not produce the water problem, is to put the catch can inbetween the PVC hose and the gray super charger hose. This method will catch oil and not the water. It also keeps the integrity of the original crankcase ventilation system as it was designed.
Steve

Old 03-25-2012, 05:44 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Can't speak for the 1 gen's but my OCC in my 07 will catch water when the temps are lower or very humid out which happens down here in the south. When I suction out my OCC into a empty bottle and let it settle there will be some oil in it with milkly looking water on top. When the bottle settles for awhile the oil will show on the bottom and water on top.
Everything I've read (at least on the 2nd gen's) this is normal and a good thing.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:25 AM
stripes03
1st Gear
ok i am worming the car up for 10 min every morning as i live in wa state nw us we are still below freezing at night i drive 40 mi to work where the car sits for apr 12/16 hrs and i drive home i think the car had a occ on it before as ther was blue silocone hose that starts at the port by the filler cap and the pvc T in to it then to the intake i cut the line and instaled the occ between the pvc and the intake the gray line is caped off if i was to hook it up so i was not traping the water where would the water be going is it better to trap it or let it go how can i check to see if i have a head gaskit prob thanks for all the replys

Old 03-26-2012, 04:53 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
stripes03
Why would anyone want to redesign the routing of the OEM PVC system? I don't get it. Put the system back to stock routing, install the OCC between the PVC and gray line if you wish, and you will now have proper venting and catch just oil.
Steve
Originally Posted by stripes03
ok i am worming the car up for 10 min every morning as i live in wa state nw us we are still below freezing at night i drive 40 mi to work where the car sits for apr 12/16 hrs and i drive home i think the car had a occ on it before as ther was blue silocone hose that starts at the port by the filler cap and the pvc T in to it then to the intake i cut the line and instaled the occ between the pvc and the intake the gray line is caped off if i was to hook it up so i was not traping the water where would the water be going is it better to trap it or let it go how can i check to see if i have a head gaskit prob thanks for all the replys

Old 03-26-2012, 05:05 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by THE ITCH
stripes03
Why would anyone want to redesign the routing of the OEM PVC system? I don't get it. Put the system back to stock routing, install the OCC between the PVC and gray line if you wish, and you will now have proper venting and catch just oil.
Steve

^^ This... Plus, there is no need to warm the car up. Many studies have found that it is actually better for the engine to get moving in cold weather. Just don't jump on it until you reach full operating temp.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:28 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
I don't care if it is the NORM on the 2nd Gens or not. Water or any other condensation in the PCV system and especially in the catch can is not correct. If you DO...the catch can is improperly tapped whether it is per a vendors instruction booklet or not. That doesnt make it correct. Im just trying to look out after everyone. Heed my $.02 or not...