Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 04:49 AM
igotboost
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, it sucks. I spent a decent amount on shipping and was without the ecu for almost a week. Bren said he did spend a whole day trying to crack it with Dimsport and sent it back to me immediately after he realized he couldn't do it.

After speaking with NM, I have chosen RennTech bc they will turn off my CEL and NM will not (Cali regs). I sent out my ecu yestderday so I will hopefully have some feedback by this weekend for you guys.

Wish me luck

Old 10-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dontfeedthenerd
You should be ok.

Renntech is an option right now, and hopefully ETG will be as well after October.
Any word on whether ETG will be able to do it?

Also, our cars are twins: My R60S w/ auto was also born 04/12.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:32 AM
dontfeedthenerd
1st Gear
Funny thing, I just dropped off my R60 with ETG.

I'm about to head out of the country for a week, but I'll update as soon as they find anything out.

I'm hopefully getting a base dyno done today/tomorrow and then will have a post tune dyno for you guys to compare with.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:34 AM
jomama
4th Gear
random thought - is it possible for the likes of NM, ETG or renntech to tune the car so that it only runs the tune when the sports button is on, but otherwise, it runs the stock tune? just curious.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
Funny thing, I just dropped off my R60 with ETG.

I'm about to head out of the country for a week, but I'll update as soon as they find anything out.

I'm hopefully getting a base dyno done today/tomorrow and then will have a post tune dyno for you guys to compare with.
Cool, thanks for updating. Let us know what they find out. Bon voyage in the meantime.

BTW, if you ever want to check out the FMIC in person, let me know. You can make the trip to SD or I can swing by you on my many trips up to the LA area.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:08 AM
dontfeedthenerd
1st Gear
I'm actually up in Norcal. I'm going to the ETG in Fremont not Beverly Hills. The main guy is at Beverly Hills, but they have an "expansion" up here.

I should be able to see the FMIC in person in about a week though :P

I told ETG if the tune succeeds to go ahead and install the R56 FMIC.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:23 AM
jomama
4th Gear
interested in how ETC turns out. they're relatively close, and if they can crack the n18s and are willing to do dyno tunes, i'm all for it!

Old 10-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
I'm actually up in Norcal. I'm going to the ETG in Fremont not Beverly Hills. The main guy is at Beverly Hills, but they have an "expansion" up here.

I should be able to see the FMIC in person in about a week though :P

I told ETG if the tune succeeds to go ahead and install the R56 FMIC.
Ah, my bad. Thought you were in SoCal. Forgot ETG is up there. Anyway, good luck with the R56 FMIC. You'll see what I'm saying about the need for an air diverter, but other than that minor detail it fits like a glove.

Sorry for the thread-jack, all!

Old 10-06-2012, 03:45 PM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
Thanks for all the updates guys, glad to see the tuning community going somewhat stronger than before.

I have updated the main post to separate Bren Tuning from the list. Might visit him locally to see if I have the same problems. Also added a note about the 2012 change to the ECUs.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:23 PM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just came back from Camarillo. I drove up there this afternoon to get myself a NM tune. I haven't been able to drive it super hard yet but from what little I have driven, I'm super happy. I can break the tires loose in 1st thru 4th and traction control turns on in 1st and 2nd while going in a straight line. Definitely worth the $500. They also gave me a handful of stickers and a license plate frame

Old 10-08-2012, 07:26 PM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by calforhelp
Just came back from Camarillo. I drove up there this afternoon to get myself a NM tune. I haven't been able to drive it super hard yet but from what little I have driven, I'm super happy. I can break the tires loose in 1st thru 4th and traction control turns on in 1st and 2nd while going in a straight line. Definitely worth the $500. They also gave me a handful of stickers and a license plate frame
Super jealous you are soo close to NM. I would live to commit to their tune but them being across the country makes things hard to choose right now. Really wish there was someone local doing NM tunes

Old 10-08-2012, 07:29 PM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, that was the deciding factor in choosing them. I don't have to have the car be out of commission for 3-4 days while the work is being done and it's just a lot easier to get troubleshooting done.

I also asked a lot of questions about their other products and got some good info. I'm still about 40 miles away but still much closer than Massachusetts.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:28 AM
Tommy Thompson
1st Gear
I agree with the performance Of the NM tune and the 48 hour turn around time is amazing.

Tommy T

Old 10-09-2012, 12:21 PM
dontfeedthenerd
1st Gear
Hey guys.

Got a text from ETG, their German counterparts just tuned my ECU and it's on the way back to the US.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:19 PM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
Hey guys.

Got a text from ETG, their German counterparts just tuned my ECU and it's on the way back to the US.
Where is ETG in the US based out of?

Old 10-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
9107 Wilshire Boulevard Suite 450
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
(877) 813 9700

Old 10-09-2012, 02:24 PM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Theta
9107 Wilshire Boulevard Suite 450
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
(877) 813 9700
Yeah, found them right after I asked. Anyone know if they are still bench tuning them or OBD flash?

Old 10-09-2012, 02:26 PM
dontfeedthenerd
1st Gear
I believe it's a bench tune. They also have offices in other locations but I think most of them just ship to the L.A. office.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
No OBD flash tune on the N18 - all bench.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Hey guys.

Very nice!

I assume the rest of us can just get the tune done through the local ETG location without having to have the ECU shipped to and from Europe? Also, any word on the tune's specs re: HP and torque?

I e-mailed Jan at RMW the other day and he said he could tune an ECU from an N18 engine. Not sure if he appreciates the encryption issue or not, but if he does, that is another option. I don't know what he charges for a dyno tune or how much of a benefit that would be compared to a canned tune from ETG/NM, but it looks like we might be in position to at least have a choice. '

Thanks for doing this for all of us, dontfeed.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:16 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Hujan
Very nice!

I assume the rest of us can just get the tune done through the local ETG location without having to have the ECU shipped to and from Europe? Also, any word on the tune's specs re: HP and torque?

I e-mailed Jan at RMW the other day and he said he could tune an ECU from an N18 engine. Not sure if he appreciates the encryption issue or not, but if he does, that is another option. I don't know what he charges for a dyno tune or how much of a benefit that would be compared to a canned tune from ETG/NM, but it looks like we might be in position to at least have a choice. '

if you decide to go with RMW, let me know. i live in irvine and would love to tag along and chat with jan. i'm not in a rush to get tuned, so i'm sitting the sidelines until the dust settles a bit. NM sounds like a good choice right now, and ETG sounds like it might be a good choice soon. both are "drivable" from where i am. RMW would almost be walkable...haha!

Old 10-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jomama
if you decide to go with RMW, let me know. i live in irvine and would love to tag along and chat with jan. i'm not in a rush to get tuned, so i'm sitting the sidelines until the dust settles a bit. NM sounds like a good choice right now, and ETG sounds like it might be a good choice soon. both are "drivable" from where i am. RMW would almost be walkable...haha!
You got it. I'm toying with the idea of doing a meth kit. If so, I'd definitely go with RMW since Jan could install it. It really comes down to how much $ it costs and how much more I would get out of the tune. You hear a lot about how the ECU self-adjusts to things like a bigger FMIC or exhaust and that tuning for it is not necessary, but it makes sense to me that you'd be able to squeeze out a little more power with a tailored tune than a canned one.

Need to do some searching . . .

Old 10-09-2012, 03:29 PM
dontfeedthenerd
1st Gear
Very nice!

HP is supposed to be 30 and torque 60 with an upgraded FMIC. However the awd dyno near me is down so I wasn't able to get a base dyno before I left. Which means all this is advertising fluff. I'll reserve my judgement for my first drive. I don't care about numbers as much as "feel"

From now on I think etg is able to do tunes in house without shipping your ecu to Europe.

So I'd confirm with RMW that he can crack the encryption on the new ECUs. I'd love a dyno tune vs just the canned tune I'm getting now but very few people seem capable of handling the new ECU that we have right now.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:33 PM
jomama
4th Gear
You got it. I'm toying with the idea of doing a meth kit. If so, I'd definitely go with RMW since Jan could install it. It really comes down to how much $ it costs and how much more I would get out of the tune. You hear a lot about how the ECU self-adjusts to things like a bigger FMIC or exhaust and that tuning for it is not necessary, but it makes sense to me that you'd be able to squeeze out a little more power with a tailored tune than a canned one.

Need to do some searching . . .
i think most people that have tunes have been really satisfied with the performance of the car, short and long term. i've had a fmic for a while - it really doesn't do anything in terms of boosting performance, but i'm sure my car is not sucking up as hot of air as a stock car on a hot day.
i'm contemplating an aquamist hfs-4, even before i do a tune. i'd like to do what i can to keep carbon buildup at a minimum. r2fanatic has some experience installing, so i might hit him up sometime.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jomama
i think most people that have tunes have been really satisfied with the performance of the car, short and long term. i've had a fmic for a while - it really doesn't do anything in terms of boosting performance, but i'm sure my car is not sucking up as hot of air as a stock car on a hot day.
i'm contemplating an aquamist hfs-4, even before i do a tune. i'd like to do what i can to keep carbon buildup at a minimum. r2fanatic has some experience installing, so i might hit him up sometime.
Thanks for the feedback. You mean "most people that have tunes" from Jan/RMW, correct?

I've got a Forge FMIC already and will soon have a custom exhaust with an Akrapovic DP. I like the idea of a meth kit to protect the car a bit , clean the valves, and offset the crappy gas we have here, but am not sure I want to tune for it since I can foresee occasions where I may be without meth (i.e., a long road trip) and don't want the car to run weird under those circumstances. Biggest question I have is how loud the pump is when the meth kit is running.

Good call on r2fanatic. I might have to shoot him a PM.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs