Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Bullie
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can you be without meth? Most of the plain jane washer fluid is made out of meth! That and some distilled water, and you're good to go. I can't see a situation where you can run out of it. Hell even a roadside gas station in the middle of nowhere will have that kind of washer fluid.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:51 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Keep in mind as well, even if you are tuned for say, 100 percent concentration of meth, you aren't constantly spraying. If you happen to be low or run out, just drive the car conservatively with minimal engine load, and just fill back up when you get the chance.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:17 PM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can't actually put washer fluid in the meth tank can you? Won't that be spraying washer fluid into your engine?

Old 10-10-2012, 04:23 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by calforhelp
You can't actually put washer fluid in the meth tank can you? Won't that be spraying washer fluid into your engine?
i didn't think so either, until i did a quick google search on it and came across this:

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...icle_info.html

i'd still be careful what i put in the tank since it is going directly into the engine.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:36 PM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, It seems like it'd probably work but I would think that the blue dye or something would end up clogging stuff in the engine. I'd love to do a HFS-4 setup, I might end up with one eventually.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:53 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Hujan
You mean "most people that have tunes" from Jan/RMW, correct?
it actually seems like everyone with a tune has raved about it. i think jan is probably the most capable of the bunch, but the least accessible, from what i have read. but i'd really like a dyno tune custom to my car. is that too much to ask? =)

Old 10-10-2012, 04:54 PM
jomama
4th Gear
I'd love to do a HFS-4 setup, I might end up with one eventually.
you're in glendale, hujan is in SD, and all 3 of us want water/meth injection. sounds like irvine's roughly the halfway point b/w you two for an install party! =) i wonder if a group buy might be something to inquire about...hmm.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:59 PM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jomama
you're in glendale, hujan is in SD, and all 3 of us want water/meth injection. sounds like irvine's roughly the halfway point b/w you two for an install party! =) i wonder if a group buy might be something to inquire about...hmm.
Yeah, It seems like it'd probably work but I would think that the blue dye or something would end up clogging stuff in the engine. I'd love to do a HFS-4 setup, I might end up with one eventually.
Originally Posted by jomama
i didn't think so either, until i did a quick google search on it and came across this:

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...icle_info.html

i'd still be careful what i put in the tank since it is going directly into the engine.
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
Keep in mind as well, even if you are tuned for say, 100 percent concentration of meth, you aren't constantly spraying. If you happen to be low or run out, just drive the car conservatively with minimal engine load, and just fill back up when you get the chance.
Originally Posted by Bullie
How can you be without meth? Most of the plain jane washer fluid is made out of meth! That and some distilled water, and you're good to go. I can't see a situation where you can run out of it. Hell even a roadside gas station in the middle of nowhere will have that kind of washer fluid.

Great convo, but probably best discussed via PM or another thread. Trying to keep this straight about N18 tunes available is all.

Thanks gents.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cgaubuchon
Great convo, but probably best discussed via PM or another thread. Trying to keep this straight about N18 tunes available is all.

Thanks gents.
Agreed, and sorry for my role in facilitating the thread-jack. Back on topic:

I swapped e-mails with Jerry @ NM yesterday and he confirmed that, unfortunately, they are still presently unable to tune ECUs from N18 cars built after 02/2012.

I can't recall if RennTech is able to do the post-02/2012 ECUs, but if not, that leaves ETG as the only canned tune at this time, per "dontfeedthenerd."

Regarding dyno tunes, I still haven't gotten confirmation from Jan whether RMW can do post-02/2012 ECUs.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:55 PM
dontfeedthenerd
1st Gear
Agreed, and sorry for my role in facilitating the thread-jack. Back on topic:

I swapped e-mails with Jerry @ NM yesterday and he confirmed that, unfortunately, they are still presently unable to tune ECUs from N18 cars built after 02/2012.

I can't recall if RennTech is able to do the post-02/2012 ECUs, but if not, that leaves ETG as the only canned tune at this time, per "dontfeedthenerd."

Regarding dyno tunes, I still haven't gotten confirmation from Jan whether RMW can do post-02/2012 ECUs.
I had called RennTech before consulting ETG, and they had said that they could do it. Furthermore, they use the same toolset as ETG, so theoretically if ETG can do it then RennTech has the hardware to accomplish this feat.

However, not sure how true this is at all, but the guys who manufactured the toolset and worked with ETG to crack my ECU had never seen this generation ECU before. Thus, if RennTech cracked it, they cracked it by themselves without the aid of the manufacturer, which according to ETG was highly unlikely.

That being said, the 2 are competitors, so I'm not sure how correct this info is. If somebody would like to confirm they got a post 02/2012 ECU tuned by RennTech, that would be awesome.

I'm getting my car back on Monday (intercooler got delayed) so I'll let you guys know how it feels.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Bullie
2nd Gear
Yes, you can put the washer fluid in the tank. The dye won't harm anything at all. I came from the Subie community, my last being an '11 WRX, and we did it all the time with no adverse effects. That is the cheapest and easiest method of doing it. If you want to bay the exorbitant prices for pure meth, and then hoping that you get your mix right, be my guest. Not to mention how unstable meth is to store in your garage. Of note though, is that there a number of States don't allow the fluid with methyl alcohol in it. I know California is one of them.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:25 PM
Bullie
2nd Gear

Thanks gents.
Crap! Just read this CG. Oooooops! My bad buddy.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:12 AM
DKIKK77
2nd Gear
Renntech tuned my post 02/12 countryman about two months ago. Dynoed tuned at their facility in Lake Park, FL.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:56 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DKIKK77
Renntech tuned my post 02/12 countryman about two months ago. Dynoed tuned at their facility in Lake Park, FL.
Thanks for the update. I guess the question is whether the extra HP/torque that RennTech claims is worth the extra $$$. ETG is ~$600 whereas RennTech is ~$1,000. That is a big difference!

Old 10-14-2012, 10:45 AM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
has anyone confirmed a production change in the countryman front bumper that interferes with some or all of the aftermarket intercoolers?

what is the build date break?

which intercoolers fit or don't fit?

anyone heard any news from defenders of speed on their CAI for the CMS ALL4?

i am waiting on a tune until i get the DoS CAI and an intercooler upgrade

i already have a Milltek downpipe back exhaust (no ball) and have removed the restrictor ... errr ... muffler between the turbo and intercooler

i would also like to goto a milltek downpipe/cat but cannot afford any CELs as i have to pass an emissions test

scott

Old 10-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bmwr606
has anyone confirmed a production change in the countryman front bumper that interferes with some or all of the aftermarket intercoolers?

what is the build date break?

which intercoolers fit or don't fit?

anyone heard any news from defenders of speed on their CAI for the CMS ALL4?

i am waiting on a tune until i get the DoS CAI and an intercooler upgrade

i already have a Milltek downpipe back exhaust (no ball) and have removed the restrictor ... errr ... muffler between the turbo and intercooler

i would also like to goto a milltek downpipe/cat but cannot afford any CELs as i have to pass an emissions test

scott
Maybe a subject for another thread, but the Forge R60 FMIC did not fit my car, build date 04/12. I believe the redesign was in 03/12. To my knowledge, the only dedicated "R60 FMIC" is the Forge. The Forge R56 FMIC fits, but some of the FMIC will be covered by the bumper. I believe the Helix will too, but don't have first hand knowledge. (I put a Forge R56 FMIC on my car.)

Only way to avoid a readiness failure with a Milltek or Akrapovic DP us with a spacer or device for the o2 sensor. It can be done. Kconner did it with an Akrapovic on his CM.

Last edited by Hujan; 10-14-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:38 AM
m54b25
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DKIKK77
Nice! Hope you enjoy your RENNtech tune

Old 10-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dontfeedthenerd
I had called RennTech before consulting ETG, and they had said that they could do it. Furthermore, they use the same toolset as ETG, so theoretically if ETG can do it then RennTech has the hardware to accomplish this feat.

However, not sure how true this is at all, but the guys who manufactured the toolset and worked with ETG to crack my ECU had never seen this generation ECU before. Thus, if RennTech cracked it, they cracked it by themselves without the aid of the manufacturer, which according to ETG was highly unlikely.

That being said, the 2 are competitors, so I'm not sure how correct this info is. If somebody would like to confirm they got a post 02/2012 ECU tuned by RennTech, that would be awesome.

I'm getting my car back on Monday (intercooler got delayed) so I'll let you guys know how it feels.
Bumpity, bump, bump! Really looking forward to hearing some feedback from you on the ETG tune, dontfeed.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:37 AM
broussardc
2nd Gear
Maybe a subject for another thread, but the Forge R60 FMIC did not fit my car, build date 04/12. I believe the redesign was in 03/12. To my knowledge, the only dedicated "R60 FMIC" is the Forge. The Forge R56 FMIC fits, but some of the FMIC will be covered by the bumper. I believe the Helix will too, but don't have first hand knowledge. (I put a Forge R56 FMIC on my car.)
Hujan, I have a very early 2012 model built around 8/11. I'm guessing I should order the R60 Forge intercooler rather than the R56 one? It's more expensive, but I'm guessing it doesn't suffer from being hidden behind the bumper like the 56 one. Thoughts?

Old 10-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Theta
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I just ordered the Forge FMIC for the R60 for my 01/11 R60.

If you have a pre-02/12 build, it's the best CM FMIC by far!

Old 10-17-2012, 02:04 PM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
Let's take the intercooler and meth talks to another thread please to not clutter this tuning thread. Although very good discussions I'm really trying to avoid a super long thread with 2 pages of tuning information.

Thanks all

Old 10-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by broussardc
Hujan, I have a very early 2012 model built around 8/11. I'm guessing I should order the R60 Forge intercooler rather than the R56 one? It's more expensive, but I'm guessing it doesn't suffer from being hidden behind the bumper like the 56 one. Thoughts?
Let's take the intercooler and meth talks to another thread please to not clutter this tuning thread. Although very good discussions I'm really trying to avoid a super long thread with 2 pages of tuning information.

Thanks all
Agreed. Broussardc I'll post an answer to your question on this thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-r56-fmic.html

Old 10-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks all
Completely agree - I took our conversation to PMs.

My apologies!

Old 10-18-2012, 04:50 PM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Theta
Completely agree - I took our conversation to PMs.

My apologies!
No apologies needed. Thanks for doing so.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:57 PM
GRAZ
Neutral
Hi everyone,

I have been reading and watching everyone here on NAM for the past 10 months now. I have not updated my profile or anything yet but will soon. So here it goes. I'm new to threads etc so excuse me if I'm not too saavy on the etiquette. I wanted to get to the skinny on the tune for the countryman as I did mine a few days ago with NM. I have a 2012 Countryman ALL4 S. Build date is Jan. 2012. I am located in the LA area and got the tune directly with NM. I was nervous at first being I have never done something like this before. Glad I did because the car feels like it's at home.
Just wanted to let everyone know that there's one more All4 that got the NM tune. Wanted to clear up an issue I have seen here though. After talking to them directly the ECU CANNOT be detected by the dealer for routine maintainance etc. The only way they can tell the ECU has be tuned is by driving it (due to increase HP and torque) or sending it to BOSCH directly. Hope I did this correctly....

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs