Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Also, you just flagged yourself in the system (unless you have a very friendly service manager) for even bringing up the ECU mod. They have NEVER pulled mine, and my SM knows I mod the hell out of my cars.... Do you know how complex the system is? They do not even have the equipment to read ECUs directly. When they do a failure audit/inspection, the DME is sent to AG or Siemens for processing.

For dealer service, they use a GT1 and other tools with ISIS... Not going to go into it. What you posted just isn't true... Sorry for the rant, but people read things like that and worry over something that's not even correct.

Last edited by Theta; 01-17-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:57 PM
mrcharlesiv
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do have a very friendly service manager. He and I have talked about modding my car as he used to have one. He has given me a lot of good advice as to where to buy stuff and what brands to use for aftermarket parts. I'm not saying what I said is true, because I know that I don't know. Haha. Just thought I'd pass that bit of info along in hopes it might help someone. That's what this board is for!

Old 01-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Theta
6th Gear
I can appreciate that, and I wasn't trying to be scolding (well, too much so - lol).

The problem is that he simply told you a lie, and I don't want others that are on the fence to see that and believe that it's true.

The bottom line, as many in the know will tell you, is that the DME is certainly used to trace failures - however, it is not checked during a normal service. The GT1 and ISIS programming system they use (INP/A) will push the new updates, but unless the DME/ECU is physically altered, the ONLY method of determining the flash or modification is to send it back to the investigations team at AG or Siemens.

I've seen others in that position before, and that much is certainly true. What is not, however, is what he was saying about normal checks during service.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by mrcharlesiv
Just to let everyone know, I asked my service manager today how often the dealer pulls the ECU to check it. He told me that it is pulled every time the car is in for service and that if the software on it was changed in any way, they would know and that info would be sent to MINI.
not at my dealer ... the shop is next to the waiting area with a glass wall in between

my mini has been in 2x, once for the coolant temp sensor action and once for an included oil/filter change

for the sensor, the mechanic never went near the OBD2 port and for the oil/filter change, he used a small hand held "reader" to reset the next service mileage

in neither case did he hook up to the bmw/mini computer interface, nor did he remove the ecu

i asked the mechanic what the handheld reader was and he told me it is a tool used only to reset the OBC service settings, it is not a code reader at all

scott

Old 01-17-2013, 09:02 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bmwr606
not at my dealer ... the shop is next to the waiting area with a glass wall in between

my mini has been in 2x, once for the coolant temp sensor action and once for an included oil/filter change

for the sensor, the mechanic never went near the OBD2 port and for the oil/filter change, he used a small hand held "reader" to reset the next service mileage

in neither case did he hook up to the bmw/mini computer interface, nor did he remove the ecu

i asked the mechanic what the handheld reader was and he told me it is a tool used only to reset the OBC service settings, it is not a code reader at all

scott

100% correct!

Old 01-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Theta
6th Gear
And this is why I stepped in quickly to quash that. Hate to come off as a d*ck, though.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:19 AM
Tommy Thompson
1st Gear
I just had my 2011 MCSa in for annual maintenance and insisted that the service manager promise that they would not plug their computer into my car. He promised.

Tommy T

Old 01-18-2013, 06:37 AM
pidge1114
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Theta
I can appreciate that, and I wasn't trying to be scolding (well, too much so - lol).

The problem is that he simply told you a lie, and I don't want others that are on the fence to see that and believe that it's true.

The bottom line, as many in the know will tell you, is that the DME is certainly used to trace failures - however, it is not checked during a normal service. The GT1 and ISIS programming system they use (INP/A) will push the new updates, but unless the DME/ECU is physically altered, the ONLY method of determining the flash or modification is to send it back to the investigations team at AG or Siemens.

I've seen others in that position before, and that much is certainly true. What is not, however, is what he was saying about normal checks during service.
I was on the fence and still am. Reading that it's pulled every time it goes in for service was worrisome, though hard to believe since it seems excessive to pull the ECU for totally unrelated items.

I guess the tune is still a possibility after all...

Old 01-18-2013, 06:57 AM
mrcharlesiv
1st Gear
And this is why I stepped in quickly to quash that. Hate to come off as a d*ck, though.
I am glad you stepped in to say something. It scared me when I was told that the ECU is pulled every time. I had to at least post what I was told on here. I am still on the fence about it though. Scared that if something major breaks they'd check the ECU.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:44 AM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
The way I've always looked at the idea is as such; if you void a warranty with a tune/upgrade that causes something factory to break, it obviously can't handle the higher power level you're achieving paired with the way you drive and needs to be upgraded anyway.

I never understood the idea of trying to get broken things replaced under warranty with the same part that obviously can't handle the power. You're just going to have to upgrade it anyway. All it does is take pointless, dishonest money out of the manufacturers pocket, which is a great way to get MSRP's to go up.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:21 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
So just curious, who can tune an automatic MINI? I've been asking around but I hear some brands are having issues doing them?

Old 01-18-2013, 02:17 PM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
So just curious, who can tune an automatic MINI? I've been asking around but I hear some brands are having issues doing them?
Jerry at NM said they can do their Stage 1 on an auto. Not their Stage 2 though. I think the trans won't handle the torque, he said.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:42 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
He told me on my email that they have a problem cause of a surging noise coming from the engine I believe. I asked him when the stage 2 will be available and he responded with this spring! But I'm also looking at others, such as Jan's and Evolve.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Theta
6th Gear
This is correct, guys. I ran a little hotter than Stage 2 on the Auto and it was a disaster. The tune was fine, but the transmission couldn't hold the power.

If you have an Auto, you will be limited regardless of the tune. The damned thing grenades at just under 300...

Old 01-18-2013, 06:18 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
I just hope the stage 2 tune will get going by spring. I don't want a stage 1 tune. I hope that it can be cracked cause I'm depending getting the Coupe S manual trans now from my dealer for $27k.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:40 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Had my auto tuned by NM this week. Very happy with the results. To me this is what the All4 should have felt like from the factory. Well spent $$$. Jerry @ NM was awesome and vey helpful through the entire process. The surging mentioned earlier in this thread is due to the auto tranny. The tranny realizes there is more power than normal and has the ECU dump boot via the wastegate to try and compensate for the additional power. I have gotten used to the sound when it happens and I am still very happy with the tune and would give a thumbs up to NM!

Old 01-18-2013, 10:12 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
I'm guessing that's a stage 1 tune?

Old 01-19-2013, 08:09 AM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Correct

Old 01-19-2013, 08:17 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
See my problem is that I need to get a FMIC cause it gets super hot half the time in the spring and summer in Michigan. I also want install my muffler already. I just hope he is able to crack the Stage 2 later in the spring. Your mods is just an intake?

Old 01-19-2013, 08:45 AM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Intake, exhaust, discharge pipe along with suspension mods.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Theta
6th Gear
It's not that they have to crack the Stage 2 - it's a great tune minus the issues in the factory TCM.

The problem is the torque converter in the automatic. It causes major surging (via signaling the ECU of an error), and the ECU will dump boost when it senses the transmission is being over-exerted.

It's fairly well-known that the A6 will grenade at just under 300ft/lb.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:43 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
So pretty much I should stick with a Stage 1 is what your basically saying Theta. At least until maybe the Stage 2 is corrected to manually work better with the auto transmission?

I'm just trying to understand what I am gonna do because I basically have similar mods to wzabrouski. I just wanted the FMIC but don't want to lose or not gain anything if I don't have a tune.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Theta
6th Gear
The FMIC helps you to not lose power from heat, and the factory IC is small and kinda crappy. There's certainly no harm in the FMIC. You will feel a power boost with a Stage 1 and an FMIC.

Jerry should be able to set you up with what they did for me - a little better than the Stage 1, but not enough to cause boost purges.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:30 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Now your getting me excited but I will call in soon to get everything worked out. Thanks for input and information.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:55 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
The FMIC helps you to not lose power from heat, and the factory IC is small and kinda crappy. There's certainly no harm in the FMIC. You will feel a power boost with a Stage 1 and an FMIC.

Jerry should be able to set you up with what they did for me - a little better than the Stage 1, but not enough to cause boost purges.

Theta

if an Alta vacuum controlled recirc valve is used with a tune in an automatic car, the ECU cannot electrically control it

is there another device in the turbo system besides the recirc valve that is controlled by the ECU?

just curious as i have a manual

scott

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs