Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WinstonAllegheneyIII
They should create a tune that you can control and modify with an app on your smartphone using the Bluetooth!!!!!! Or do they already have one?
Don't hold your breath...

Old 01-25-2013, 09:19 AM
WinstonAllegheneyIII
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Thompson
I just had my 2011 MCSa in for annual maintenance and insisted that the service manager promise that they would not plug their computer into my car. He promised.

Tommy T
ANNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDD.......

Old 01-25-2013, 09:19 AM
WinstonAllegheneyIII
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell
Don't hold your breath...

lol

Old 01-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Theta
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
You do understand why what you're asking for isn't possible, correct? It's all in this thread a dozen times.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:24 AM
WinstonAllegheneyIII
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Theta
You do understand why what you're asking for isn't possible, correct? It's all in this thread a dozen times.
Oh, I'm sorry. I'm new to this thread and hadn't had time to sit and read everything. I don't know why it's not possible but i'll read up on it when I have more time Thanks for letting me know

Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Theta
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Okay, I'll save you a bit of time.

The ECU in the N18 is not directly flashable or tunable via the OBD II port / CANBUS.

Everything needs to be physically removed and sent to a tuner to open and flash. Having the ability for anything Bluetooth, let alone normal flashing methods, is out of the question for good. Siemens and AG locked the ECU down hard.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:14 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Theta
Okay, I'll save you a bit of time.

The ECU in the N18 is not directly flashable or tunable via the OBD II port / CANBUS.

Everything needs to be physically removed and sent to a tuner to open and flash. Having the ability for anything Bluetooth, let alone normal flashing methods, is out of the question for good. Siemens and AG locked the ECU down hard.
Lord knows if the F56 1.5 is even going to be tunable at this point.
Then again what potential could it have if it's losing a cylinder?

Here's my take on the platforms.....

R53-easy to get power...can be extremely beast
R56(n18)-not so easy to tune. Was suppose to take less money to make beast but apparently that's not so. Engines made of glass.
F56-No tunability if they seriously encrypt the ECU which I believe they will. Tuners can't flash the new ECU yet, now imagine an even newer one!

Pointless post I know haha.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:36 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic

Here's my take on the platforms.....

R53-easy to get power...can be extremely beast
R56(n18)-not so easy to tune. Was suppose to take less money to make beast but apparently that's not so. Engines made of glass.
F56-No tunability if they seriously encrypt the ECU which I believe they will. Tuners can't flash the new ECU yet, now imagine an even newer one!

Pointless post I know haha.

That's why I plan to keep my R56 for a LONG time since I'm putting all that money into her, I'll make her worth it.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:47 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
don't kid yourself that a triple cannot make serious power

i have a 1987 bmw k75s 750cc triple

stock WHP was 55

after some very serious mods (only stock internals left is the crank, and it was lightened and rebalanced), WHP is now 125

original top speed 122mph, now i have an "award" from the california highway patrol certifing a top speed in excess of 154 mph, i say in excess because i was HARD on the brakes but he got a lock at 154

scott

Old 01-26-2013, 03:30 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Anything is possible with time and money. It's an old saying but it's true. I'm sure you spent a pretty penny like you stated.

It's just that folks are only so far with the current set up. What's to say its going to be any easier with one less cylinder. I figure you have to dump more money to make it even faster because you have to squeeze more out of a smaller displacement.

I just feel since the new minis will be 3 cylinders and put out the same hp numbers as our 4's....it's already working harder to do that.

So the F56 may already be at its limit as suppose to our bigger engines which have room for improvement with a simple ECU tune. If it is possible to tune the future F56 the engine may just pop since it could possibly be maxed already.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case since MINI has made encryptions on current ECU tough to crack.

They obviously don't like us modding OUR cars lol.

(Of course we won't know anything until the car is actually released hahaha)

Old 01-29-2013, 04:25 PM
joey4420
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so after reading most of the 20 pages of this post and several others, and without trying to start a war of any kind... which ecu upgrade is the better option if any? After having my clubman with auto sport button and cai the countryman does feel sluggish for sure. Even in sport mode, I don't want to tear stuff up but more power never hurts. Of course $500 - $595 - and $995 are huge differences for basically the same option or have I read all this wrong?

Old 01-29-2013, 04:40 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Based on my experience I would highly recommend NM. Jerry took quite a while explaining the process and was always available when I had questions even before I decided to go with NM. Having to send out the ECU can be a little tricky but it went extremely smooth and exactly how Jerry explained it would go. Considering the overnight return shipping can cost about $100 with insurance, you are really paying $400 for the tune. Of course you still have to pay for shipping to NM so it is basically as wash

My vote is for NM but I am sure others will chime in.

Good luck!

Old 01-29-2013, 05:01 PM
broussardc
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by wzabrouski
Based on my experience I would highly recommend NM. Jerry took quite a while explaining the process and was always available when I had questions even before I decided to go with NM. Having to send out the ECU can be a little tricky but it went extremely smooth and exactly how Jerry explained it would go. Considering the overnight return shipping can cost about $100 with insurance, you are really paying $400 for the tune. Of course you still have to pay for shipping to NM so it is basically as wash

My vote is for NM but I am sure others will chime in.

Good luck!
I second this opinion.. very happy with Jerry & NM

Old 01-29-2013, 07:05 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
I don't have an NM tune (I wish it were available for the post-April 2012 cars), but I can also vouch for NM's customer service in general and Jerry in particular. Anyone who chooses to go with NM would be in great hands. If they could tune the newest ECUs, I would go with them without question.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:20 PM
pidge1114
Banned
Originally Posted by Hujan
I don't have an NM tune (I wish it were available for the post-April 2012 cars), but I can also vouch for NM's customer service in general and Jerry in particular. Anyone who chooses to go with NM would be in great hands. If they could tune the newest ECUs, I would go with them without question.
I've been looking through this thread but I must have overlooked it...how come the NM tune is only for cars up to April 2012? What's different about the May - December ECU's?

Old 01-29-2013, 07:28 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Hujan

are you sure the cut date is april? my march 2012 build has the "new" ecu

scott

Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bmwr606
Hujan

are you sure the cut date is april? my march 2012 build has the "new" ecu

scott
You're right; I misspoke. The cutoff is February 2012. I had a massive brain fart when I said April.

Originally Posted by pidge1114
I've been looking through this thread but I must have overlooked it...how come the NM tune is only for cars up to April 2012? What's different about the May - December ECU's?
Like I said, the cutoff is February 2012 based on the information I have. Starting with the February 2012 ECUs, MINI added an encryption that has blocked at lot of tuners. ETG in California and RennTech in Florida are two that have cracked the encryption and can tune all MINIs. I don't know if Evolve in the UK has or not. Last I talked to Jerry at NM, they still had not gotten past it.

If your car was built prior to 02/2012, you should be good to go with anyone that can tune a MINI.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:51 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
welcome back from your brain vacation hujan

i am still leaning to the renntech tune because of the sport button control

scott

Old 01-29-2013, 09:11 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bmwr606
welcome back from your brain vacation hujan

i am still leaning to the renntech tune because of the sport button control

scott
Thanks!

The sport button control kind of cuts both ways on me. Because of the lack of an auto-sport button mod, it would be kind of a pain to always have to push the button. Also, because my exhaust is so free-flowing, the pop and burble is very loud on my car and sometimes it can be a bit much.

One thing I'm not clear about: If the sport button is in the off mode, does this mean that a MINI tech would not be able to detect the tune with their equipment? Or is the thought simply that the tune might escape notice with the sport button off only because the car will be less responsive if a tech drives it?

But I agree: If the RennTech tune won't show up on a scan when the sport button is off, then it is worth any drawbacks.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:19 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
yes, the stealth mode for the dealer and any other time i do not want the pop/burrble

it is my understanding that the equipment at the dealer cannot detect a tune

it can do a reflash or flash upgrade, it can read codes, but cannot read the actual maps

the ecu would have to be sent to the manufacturer to detect a tune

otoh, if there is a tamper seal on the ecu, they could see that the seal has been opened ... bye-bye warranty

scott

Old 01-29-2013, 09:22 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Good point. I don't recall seeing any tamper seals when I took the ECU out of the cradle before, but then I didn't open it up either. I can't decide whether the fact that MINI went through all the trouble to put an encryption on the ECU makes it more or less likely their is a tamper seal.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:24 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Good point. I don't recall seeing any tamper seals when I took the ECU out of the cradle before, but then I didn't open it up either. I can't decide whether the fact that MINI went through all the trouble to put an encryption on the ECU makes it more or less likely their is a tamper seal.
i bet the us epa "politely requested" the encryption

scott

Old 01-30-2013, 03:47 AM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
I'm going to also endorse the NM tune. Jerry at NM was a great help and I'm very pleased with the outcome of it all.

As far as Sport button activated tunes go. I don't personally like the idea of changing spark/fuel maps and boost pressure mid drive. Keep your foot out of the pedal and you have a calm driving car with the N18 because valvetronic is keeping the valve lift down until you give it the beans. I also don't like the idea of driving around with the tune off and then maybe immediately needing the power (for whatever reason) and having to remember to press a button first.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:00 AM
Tommy Thompson
1st Gear
I agree with TonyCheckraise. NM all the way!

Tommy T

Old 01-30-2013, 06:34 AM
pidge1114
Banned
Damn I guess that mean I now have to shell out $950 for the Renntech tune.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs