Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a speed shop here that will do 3 runs on their dyne for $100. I'm thinking of doing it soon. If so, I'll post.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:53 PM
Englshmn
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd love to hear from someone with the Renntech, as that's who I plan on going with.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:38 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
So I read an article about evolve tuning a 2010 Mini Cooper S.

The article stated there are 5 stages???

Old 02-20-2013, 09:49 PM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell
I have a speed shop here that will do 3 runs on their dyne for $100. I'm thinking of doing it soon. If so, I'll post.
There's a few places around me in the Chicago-land area that will do dyno pulls for about the same price. I plan on doing some pulls as soon as I get the FMIC and Stage 2 done. I'd be interested to compare numbers for sure.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:37 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyCheckraise

There's a few places around me in the Chicago-land area that will do dyno pulls for about the same price. I plan on doing some pulls as soon as I get the FMIC and Stage 2 done. I'd be interested to compare numbers for sure.
Hey Tony, here in Michigan we don't get rarely to no dynos. I should come to Chicago this summer since I'm only like a three hour drive to get there. I'd definitely be interested in a dyno!

Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
So I read an article about evolve tuning a 2010 Mini Cooper S.

The article stated there are 5 stages???
The 2010 MINI has a N14 engine, not the N18.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:33 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
I know......so I take that as it only applies to the older engines then?

Old 02-21-2013, 10:12 AM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
Hey Tony, here in Michigan we don't get rarely to no dynos. I should come to Chicago this summer since I'm only like a three hour drive to get there. I'd definitely be interested in a dyno!
That's quite a trip for some dyno pulls! I've got some friends here in my local car club that are all interested in getting together a dyno-day in effort to get a better price on the pulls. We've done it in the past and usually the shops are pretty cool about it.

When I get this put together, I can make the information available and anyone on NAM who wants to show up could benefit from the discounted price.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:30 AM
joyride305
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yup stage 2

He mention that boost will spike at 18-19lbs
Some cars spike over 20lbs...at that point that's around 220-230 HP at the wheels.

He said himself the numbers are conservative.

Seem kinda low to you?

That does seem low for a stage 2 with DP and IC. That means stage 2 without DP would be even lower, and stage 1 with DP only even lower, and with neither, uncomfortably close to stock. It must be worse for those with an auto.

This is exactly what I was curious about though. Maybe I missed something but when those numbers were posted I didn't see anything about a DP, only the necessary IC with stage 1 and 2. I wonder what mods are implied with Renntech's tune.

I agree that it does seem low...but I understand Jerry's stand point and his comment about saving up for a clutch lol.

I'd love to get a custom dyno tune but with these N18's it just makes it a lot more difficult.

When I get my car back from AEM on Friday I might go ahead and just get the tune.

First I have to see if my ECU meets the cut off date that they can tune =\.

Anything after build 3/12 they can't do yet because that's when the new encryption code was put in place by BOSCH.
From what I gather, Renntech puts out higher numbers but with such a reputable company wouldn't they also be cautious of pushing the oem clutch too far?

Old 02-21-2013, 10:47 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I know......so I take that as it only applies to the older engines then?
You will need to call them and find out what they can do for you with the N18's unique ECU. I know they've at least cracked it.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:57 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane

You will need to call them and find out what they can do for you with the N18's unique ECU. I know they've at least cracked it.
That looks like the case....should have just got the 2012 Jcw coupe.....then I wouldn't need to go through so many hurdles haha.

Out of curiosity, you have the Evolve tune correct? What stage did you go with?

Old 02-22-2013, 06:26 PM
jet127
1st Gear
I've decided to go with a Renntech tune for my '13 JCW Coupe AT. I'll do this in a couple of weeks. Would you guys think that doing the mods after the tune is ok? I am doing the Forge FMIC, Akrapovic DP, Forge Recirc valve after the tune. Also, contemplating if I need a hot side intercooler pipe (NM or Forge)? Comments?

Old 02-22-2013, 06:45 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jet127
I've decided to go with a Renntech tune for my '13 JCW Coupe AT. I'll do this in a couple of weeks. Would you guys think that doing the mods after the tune is ok? I am doing the Forge FMIC, Akrapovic DP, Forge Recirc valve after the tune. Also, contemplating if I need a hot side intercooler pipe (NM or Forge)? Comments?
You have to get in touch with RennTech. You need to talk about all this with your tuner. What I think means nothing. RennTech has been tuning cars for a long time and has a great reputation. I will also go with RennTech for my 2013 roadster.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
^ Previous poster is completely correct. Please speak to RENN regarding these questions.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:32 PM
jet127
1st Gear
Was thinking maybe someone went that route and would prefer hearing this from an end user.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Okay then, here's the answer you will probably be given by the tuner:

You can not have a tune that requires a FMIC without actually having the FMIC. No getting it later, etc. If you choose to wait on the FMIC, get tuned for the stock one first, then send it back in later.

Timings are heavily adjusted due to charge air temps.

The Akrapovic DP can be added after the fact, as it isn't taken hugely into account on the tune. It will, however, net you gains later due to the free-er flowing setup. They will tune the CEL out if you let them know you're going that route.

The use or addition of the Forge BPV (and I have used one for over 2 years) is really at the discretion of the tuner. It offers a bit more reliability, and the ability to hold higher boost levels (beyond anything our turbos can put out). The BPV on the 2013 JCW has been tweaked, so I am personally holding off installing mine until I hear further.

Check your hot-side pipe - the JCW usually does not have the muffler on that pipe, and is a straight (un-kinked) design. I know for a fact my 2013 has a large, smooth, muffler-less pipe. No need for a replacement pipe.

No use or gains in changing the cold-side pipes.

Perhaps that's what you were looking for...

Old 02-23-2013, 03:05 AM
jet127
1st Gear
Thanks Theta! You've been a great help. I'll get the FMIC together with the tune then.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:05 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it were me, I'd do the mods with or before the tune.

I stopped by HG Motorsports yesterday, a local RennTech distributor. From what I gather, RennTech's tune is pretty much a canned tune. But they do ask you to list the mods you have in detail, ostensibly because they make small tweaks to the tune file. If true, then a customer who reports a bone stock MINI may get a different tune file than one who reports an upgraded FMIC on the car.

I would just do the mods ASAP if cash allows. Had I a R56/57/58/59, I would do the following before tuning:

1) Forge or Helix FMIC
2) Akrapovic turbo-back exhaust
3) DoS or AEM intake
4) Forge diverter valve

Done.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:09 PM
jet127
1st Gear
Thanks Hujan!

Would probably do the Forge FMIC and Diverter valve first and go from there.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:23 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Just got back from Helen Georgia on Sunday (MINI event called Helenblitz). The drive up was through pouring rain. I seriously had to watch the increased torque from the stage 2 tune. The day before going up there, I almost went off the road into a tree when torque steer hit while spinning wheels (wheel) in third gear. This has convinced me that I NEED a limited slip differential!!! On 15 March, Way will be installing a Quaife LSD in The Dread Pirate. That FINALLY will be the end of the "major" mods for quite some time (unless Koni's call my name too loudly!).

Old 02-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Jet127, it took me 2 years to put The Dread Pirate together to the point where I felt comfortable for... and felt the need for a tune. It helped that there wasn't an N18 engine for a good portion of that but I would have waited anyway because I wanted everything in place. I wanted the best breathing MINI that could take the most advantage of a tune as I could have. The last part of the plan was the WMW (JCW?)Turbo Exhaust Manifold. What I am saying, is don't rush. There is no need to. I had extreme amounts of fun and two MotD's without a tune. Make a plan for upgrading your MINI's parts and pieces and carry it out before worrying about a tune.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:42 PM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell
Make a plan for upgrading your MINI's parts and pieces and carry it out before worrying about a tune.
This is great advice, assuming you aren't in a car club like I am. LOL

Every I do something to the car, someone else in the club had to do me one better. So I have to do them one better in return. And the modification cycle perpetuates. Haha

Check the sig, that's all in the 8 months / 16000 miles since I rolled her off the showroom floor. LOL

Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Damn I drive too much, already have 23k on the Coupé, that I got last April lol.

Exhaust manifold and I'm set for a tune......when ever it becomes available lol.

Was going to go with a physical LSD but I have found the ELSD to do a damn good job...so that might be money saved!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
No car club nor peep pressure, just a plan. The following done in two years/22k miles (the big list):

Aesthetic Creations Black Door Handles
Akrapovic:
Down Pipe
Delete R
Alta Blow Off Valve Spring Upgrade
Craven Stubby antenna
Defenders of Speed CAI
Forge FMIC
Helix Short Shift Kit
Hella Black Magics (w/HID upgrade)
H-Sport Rear Camber Links
Mini Fini Black Intake Scoop Grill
NGK Cold Heat Range Spark Plugs
NM:
ECU Tune
Aluminum Billet Tie-Bar
Discharge Pipe
Titanium Heat Shield
Torque Arm Insert
Shifter Assembly Box Cover
Quaife Limited Slip Differential (on 15 March)
TSW:
Performance Springs
19mm Sway Bar
X-Brace
Vinyl Styles: (all black out except JCW grill trim)
Headlight/Taillight trim
Gas Cap
Side Markers (smoked)
Boot Handle
Belt Line
VIP Custom:
Down Pipe Back Exhaust (last 1/4 powder coated black)
Driving Light Brackets
Whalen Shift ****
WMW:
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Turbo Exhaust Manifold

The only thing that I really have left is Koni's... Sure...

Old 02-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems like the WMW exhaust manifold is a popular mod. I always wondered how much you really get out of that. If its significant, I wonder whether it would be worth while to do that and a turbo for the time being until the warranty expires and/or more tune options are available.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs