Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 05:52 AM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hujan
^^^^
This man knows his fuel!

Good stuff, Tony. I appreciate it. Unfortunately, I'm still unclear whether, in your opinion, running water/meth injection would allow one to run a tune designed for higher octane gas. For example, assuming the tune was written for E0 93 gas and I have only E10 91, it's been my impression that water/meth would mitigate the difference. True?
In the right quantity, running water/meth does raise the effective octane rating and can raise it in massive fashion with a big injection setup. I'm familiar with how water/meth kits work, but I'm unfamiliar with the exact math involved to calculate the new octane rating based on how much water/meth you're actually injecting.

Talking to the people who built the kit will help you decide at what flow rate to run the pump to achieve the target you're looking for. I would imagine that if you're goal is only to compensate for a couple of Octane points during WOT situations, a very small kit would be sufficient.

The only problem I could see here is if you're relying on the meth injection to maintain the proper octane level for your tune, you have to make sure you're never going to run out of it while you're driving.

Other than that, I can't see any real problems with it.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:51 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone have the E.T.G. tune? just curious what they offer after reading through their website. It doesn't seem their tune for the N18 is canned. Any thoughts?

If it was posted earlier in this thread, I'm not going back through it right now haha.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:08 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
Anyone have the E.T.G. tune? just curious what they offer after reading through their website. It doesn't seem their tune for the N18 is canned. Any thoughts?

If it was posted earlier in this thread, I'm not going back through it right now haha.
A couple of guys have it. The two I can think of have Countrymen. The ETG tune is the subject of my thread regarding whether a downpipe can cause an overboost situation. Per "bmwr606" they indicate they have to scale the tune back on an N18-equipped car with a high flow DP because the cars go into an overboost situation and throw codes. As a result, they say they get more power on the N18 with the factory DP. They claim 40 HP. 60 TQ.

"Jaremy Cheetwood" reported that his friend's Clubman (I think an N14) was tuned by ETG and had overboost issues. That Clubman had a factory DP.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:17 AM
pidge1114
Banned
As a result, they say they get more power on the N18 with the factory DP. They claim 40 HP. 60 TQ.
Wait, 40 hp and 60tq? For $595? That's better than the Renntech tune for almost half the price. Where did you get that information? Do you know if they have the same issues as NM regarding ECU's after April 2012?

Old 03-14-2013, 07:24 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear

A couple of guys have it. The two I can think of have Countrymen. The ETG tune is the subject of my thread regarding whether a downpipe can cause an overboost situation. Per "bmwr606" they indicate they have to scale the tune back on an N18-equipped car with a high flow DP because the cars go into an overboost situation and throw codes. As a result, they say they get more power on the N18 with the factory DP. They claim 40 HP. 60 TQ.

"Jaremy Cheetwood" reported that his friend's Clubman (I think an N14) was tuned by ETG and had overboost issues. That Clubman had a factory DP.
Well in that case, I will stick with NM's tune still. Evolve is my second choice, yes $800 is a lot but after talking to them, they could pop out 230hp/240tq. I tried getting a hold of RMW, but no answer, so forget that.

I'm just looking for better options at this point.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:34 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by pidge1114
Wait, 40 hp and 60tq? For $595? That's better than the Renntech tune for almost half the price. Where did you get that information? Do you know if they have the same issues as NM regarding ECU's after April 2012?
From "bmwr606" a poster here on NAM. He talked to Jags (ETG's tuner) directly. bmwr606 knows his stuff. Hopefully he'll be on here to report the nuts and bolts directly.

Unlike NM, ETG can tune all current ECUs. ETG and RENNtech are confirmed. I believe Evolve and RMW can as well, but good luck getting ahold of RMW.

Well in that case, I will stick with NM's tune still. Evolve is my second choice, yes $800 is a lot but after talking to them, they could pop out 230hp/240tq. I tried getting a hold of RMW, but no answer, so forget that.

You and me both, brother. For what it's worth, if could get a tune through NM, it would be a no-brainer. Everyone seems to love their tune and Jerry at NM is the definition of customer service. That's exactly the type of person I want to deal with if something goes wrong with the tune.

230 hp/240 tq is insane! That's more than RENNtech (221 hp/232 tq) and on part with ETG (221 hp/242 tq). How were you planning to do the tune with Evolve? Would you have to ship the ECU to the UK?

Old 03-14-2013, 08:34 AM
pidge1114
Banned
Jags over at ETG just got back to me in a matter of minutes.

He told me that the tune on a stock car will yield 32hp and 25 lbs torque. If the intercooler is updated, horsepower goes up to 40 and torque up to 60.

He also said that the later 2012 ECU's are not a problem like NM has.

Price is $595 plus $40 shipping. Includes 2 free reflashes in the event the dealer updates the software.

Sounds like this is a no brainer for us post-April 2012'ers.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:04 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Where is ETG based out of?
Having issues seeing their site.

That sounds like a great option for many of us.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:27 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
I want to know if anyone has had any issues with their tune? If they have it. I like those numbers considering its basically almost the same numbers Evolve pops out. It doesn't seem their tune is canned if you have bolt on's.

I emailed them last night but no answer yet. I would consider them as long as with a DP is no issue for overboost.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:49 AM
pidge1114
Banned
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
Where is ETG based out of?
Having issues seeing their site.

That sounds like a great option for many of us.
http://ecutuninggroup.com/2012-mini-...man-ecu-tuning

Looks like they are based out of Beverly Hills

Old 03-14-2013, 10:59 AM
joyride305
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmm, looks like ETG deserves a lot more consideration on this thread!

Old 03-14-2013, 11:00 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear

http://ecutuninggroup.com/2012-mini-...man-ecu-tuning

Looks like they are based out of Beverly Hills
No effing way!
I'm always in Beverly Hills/West Hollywood area!

Hell yes lol.

Anyone notice the price to tune a Bugatti Veyron? 20k!

Gonna give these guys a call. Thanks!

Old 03-14-2013, 11:16 AM
pidge1114
Banned
Originally Posted by joyride305
Hmm, looks like ETG deserves a lot more consideration on this thread!
SERIOUSLY. These guys should be advertising like crazy on this site. Here's their news on their blog on how they cracked the mid 2012 - 2013 Mini ECU's.

http://ecutuninggroup.com/mini-turbo-2013-tuning

Old 03-14-2013, 11:26 AM
joyride305
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
SERIOUSLY. These guys should be advertising like crazy on this site. Here's their news on their blog on how they cracked the mid 2012 - 2013 Mini ECU's.

http://ecutuninggroup.com/mini-turbo-2013-tuning

And they have dealers around the country!! Does that mean I don't have to ship out the ECU??

And there is one in Miami!

Old 03-14-2013, 11:38 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
If you have a dealer in driving distance then no.

I'm going to the Beverly Hills one....when funds allow lol

Old 03-14-2013, 12:30 PM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear

I don't know anything about ETG, and I hate to judge all their tunes based on their N18 tune, but if they can't get more power out of the car equipped with an aftermarket DP vs the original DP because they can't control overboost... I can't trust their tunes to be reliable anyway. I don't need my turbo going crazy on my daily driver.

I'm giving my business to Jerry and the boys at NM for their Stage 2 tune. I trust their tunes after having absolutely zero hiccups with the Stage 1.

I don't know anything about Evolve's N18 tune (if available)... But I don't know how I would even go about getting it done without shipping the ECU overseas? Not sure.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:29 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyCheckraise
I don't know anything about ETG, and I hate to judge all their tunes based on their N18 tune, but if they can't get more power out of the car equipped with an aftermarket DP vs the original DP because they can't control overboost... I can't trust their tunes to be reliable anyway. I don't need my turbo going crazy on my daily driver.

I'm giving my business to Jerry and the boys at NM for their Stage 2 tune. I trust their tunes after having absolutely zero hiccups with the Stage 1.

I don't know anything about Evolve's N18 tune (if available)... But I don't know how I would even go about getting it done without shipping the ECU overseas? Not sure.
Jags from ETG told me it was not necessary to replace the downpipe for their tune ON THE N18 TURBO, but if you do, they need to know so they can adjust for it

Jags also says to leave the stock airbox and get a highflow panel filter as the best option and that they have had no problems with the oem diverter valve

so to get the +40hp and +60 torque from ETG, all you need is an FMIC and a panel filter, even a dp-back exhaust is not necessary

scott

Old 03-14-2013, 02:09 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TonyCheckraise

With Evolve when I spoke to them, you send your ECU to Washington D.C. I believe, to a shop, from there it goes to the U.K. At the Evolve shop. I'm currently thinking about them and NM. But NM has the upper hand.

I would go with ETG, but I got a cone filter and other mods I want to add. But it is nice to know what mods are needed for their tune.

Tony, ill have my tune by sometime this summer, but probably with NM, same reasons as you, customer service!

Old 03-14-2013, 02:42 PM
pidge1114
Banned
Originally Posted by bmwr606
Jags from ETG told me it was not necessary to replace the downpipe for their tune ON THE N18 TURBO, but if you do, they need to know so they can adjust for it

Jags also says to leave the stock airbox and get a highflow panel filter as the best option and that they have had no problems with the oem diverter valve

so to get the +40hp and +60 torque from ETG, all you need is an FMIC and a panel filter, even a dp-back exhaust is not necessary

scott
exactly what he told me. did you actually get his tune? if so, do you feel an immediate difference?

Old 03-14-2013, 06:29 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
exactly what he told me. did you actually get his tune? if so, do you feel an immediate difference?
no tune yet

i was set on getting the renntech tune, but now undecided again

scott

Old 03-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tony, i'll have my tune by sometime this summer, but probably with NM, same reasons as you, customer service!
I overnighted my ECU to NM on a Tuesday and got it back Thursday. I talked to Jerry T twice during that time. He never hesitates to answer a call. I he'd every engine mod I could think of /pay for at the time and so got a Stage 2 tune. The Dread Pirate is a monster with his NM stage 2 tune! So much so that I am in Atlanta right now because I feel that I NEED a limited slip differential in order to control the torque. Send your damn ECU to NM!

Old 03-14-2013, 06:57 PM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell

I overnighted my ECU to NM on a Tuesday and got it back Thursday. I talked to Jerry T twice during that time. He never hesitates to answer a call. I he'd every engine mod I could think of /pay for at the time and so got a Stage 2 tune. The Dread Pirate is a monster with his NM stage 2 tune! So much so that I am in Atlanta right now because I feel that I NEED a limited slip differential in order to control the torque. Send your damn ECU to NM!
I've already made arrangements with Jerry!!! I'm sending it out on the 23rd, I will be leaving for vacation from the 23rd to 29th so when I get back...

Attached Thumbnails The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs-image-3713217268.jpg  
Old 03-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Englshmn
1st Gear
I have my CAI, DP, FMIC, and exhaust already. For this reason, I'm hesitant to go with ETG (Due to said overboost issues).

Which one would you guys say makes the most of having bolt ons.

I was leaning towards the Renntech because I can just drive down to their shop in Palm Beach and do it without having my car out of commission for a few days.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:00 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell

Don't worry I will:-).

But Englshmn, I would steer away from ETG for those reasons and I would look at Evolve, RennTech, and NM.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:25 AM
pidge1114
Banned
So does no one here have the ETG tune that can speak on its quality? I would go with NM if it were not for the fact that they can't tune later 2012's.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs