Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 07:42 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pidge1114
So does no one here have the ETG tune that can speak on its quality? I would go with NM if it were not for the fact that they can't tune later 2012's.
Off the top of my head, "dontfeedthenerd" and "1bigpea" both have it on their Countrymen. Here's are thread "1bigpea" started about the tune: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d-yet-yup.html

Another poster "Jaremy Cheetwood" reported issues that his friend had with the ETG tune.

I'm not sure what to do myself and I live in SoCal. The only thing holding me back from RENNtech is that the 40/40 they quote is on 93 octane.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:47 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If their quote is based off 93 octane then it's not worth it imo.

How annoying would it be to have to look for 93 octane in this state?
They have good numbers but it just doesn't seem practical to me.

....and that issue with cheetwood is a concern, from what I've read in various places, the person he dealt with didn't handle it in a professional manner.
Said something along the lines of "why you talking sh** on our tune".

Old 03-15-2013, 08:46 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic

....and that issue with cheetwood is a concern, from what I've read in various places, the person he dealt with didn't handle it in a professional manner.
Agreed. This is why I'd prefer to go through NM. It's too bad they don't seem too intent on making the tune available to post-Feb. 2012 owners. A post-Feb. 2012 Countryman "S" might just be the most difficult car to mod.

Edit: There are plenty of places in LA County that sell 100 octane gas, BTW. You can mix 25% 100 octane and 75% 91 octane to get ~93 octane.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:46 AM
pidge1114
Banned

ETG's tune is based on 91 octane. Jags said to expect more out of the tune if 93 is available.

Based on that other thread that Hujan referenced, 1bipea seems very satisfied with his tune. I am curious if there is any physical evidence that it has been tampered with...I was reading that a chip is physically removed..or something.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:40 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by pidge1114

ETG's tune is based on 91 octane. Jags said to expect more out of the tune if 93 is available.

Based on that other thread that Hujan referenced, 1bipea seems very satisfied with his tune. I am curious if there is any physical evidence that it has been tampered with...I was reading that a chip is physically removed..or something.
Yes, Cheetwoods' friends experience may have been just bad luck...it was an N14 Clubman if I recall...not his personal car. I remember reading that there was some soldering done...exact details I do not know.

But for N18's...I'm certain the ECU still has to be removed. NM has to remove it for the ones they can do.

I may have jumped the gun too soon saying I would go with them. I was just excited that there was someone else who could tune cars after 3/12.
I'd feel better with having it tuned by someone who knows these cars very well.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:43 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Hujan

Edit: There are plenty of places in LA County that sell 100 octane gas, BTW. You can mix 25% 100 octane and 75% 91 octane to get ~93 octane.
You are right about that.....but that's just an inconvenience for me. I just want to pump and go. No mixing of any sort.

I already have to mix my gas for my 2 stroke dirt bike..and that's already a pain.

I don't want to do that for my daily driver.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:30 AM
joyride305
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^ Yes this would be helpful if someone could chime in with the ETG tune, or if we could hear from someone from the company.

I understand NM is a great company and I would give up some ponies for someone I could trust with my car, reputable within the community etc. but unless I missed something I don't see a lot of facts supporting any overboost issues with ETG. Someone brought it up somewhere else on the forums and unless I misunderstood they were disproved.

In either case I would like to hear more from firsthand sources (ETG, someone who had their tune, etc) rather than someone just saying they heard that from somewhere.

Similarly I would like to know why cant NM come up with these numbers. Is it a safety issue? Skewed numbers?

Old 03-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by joyride305
^^^ Yes this would be helpful if someone could chime in with the ETG tune, or if we could hear from someone from the company.

I understand NM is a great company and I would give up some ponies for someone I could trust with my car, reputable within the community etc. but unless I missed something I don't see a lot of facts supporting any overboost issues with ETG. Someone brought it up somewhere else on the forums and unless I misunderstood they were disproved.

In either case I would like to hear more from firsthand sources (ETG, someone who had their tune, etc) rather than someone just saying they heard that from somewhere.

Similarly I would like to know why cant NM come up with these numbers. Is it a safety issue? Skewed numbers?
You might be missing the point with the boldfaced part.

ETG claims that N18 cars with high-flow downpipes will have overboost issues on their tune. Whether that's right or wrong, ETG thinks its an issue. If their right and it is an issue, then that's a bummer for those of us with DPs. If they are wrong and it is not an issue, then you just had your car tuned by a tuner who is mistaken about a fundamental aspect of tuning. That, too, is a bummer.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:46 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Again that's the reason I say NM, RennTech, and Evolve are the main contenders. Yes $800 is steep for some with Evolve's tune, but it's Jan's fault for not answering his phone as I thought I would have his tune. This is the reason I will go with NM; price, customer service, and legitimate tune with no issues.

If your a daily driver and once or twice driving on the track then I see no point to get more HP, so NM would be the logical point. If your going to be a heavy track or auto cross car, then I'd strongly consider Evolve and RennTech(both have very similar numbers).

Old 03-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
Again that's the reason I say NM, RennTech, and Evolve are the main contenders. Yes $800 is steep for some with Evolve's tune, but it's Jan's fault for not answering his phone as I thought I would have his tune. This is the reason I will go with NM; price, customer service, and legitimate tune with no issues.

If your a daily driver and once or twice driving on the track then I see no point to get more HP, so NM would be the logical point. If your going to be a heavy track or auto cross car, then I'd strongly consider Evolve and RennTech(both have very similar numbers).
The issue with Evolve is shipping it to the UK. That's a tall order. Aside from the risk, it has to mean being without the car for a long time.

I'm tempted to just say f*** it to a tune right now and just slapping on a JCW-turbo and manifold and living with the extra HP and torque those give me until some real tuning options come out.

IMO:

Pre-Feb. 2012 ECU: NM
Post-Feb. 2012 ECU: RENNtech (if in an area with 93 octane) or Evolve (if in UK). Otherwise, just wait.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:36 PM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell
I overnighted my ECU to NM on a Tuesday and got it back Thursday. I talked to Jerry T twice during that time. He never hesitates to answer a call. I he'd every engine mod I could think of /pay for at the time and so got a Stage 2 tune. The Dread Pirate is a monster with his NM stage 2 tune! So much so that I am in Atlanta right now because I feel that I NEED a limited slip differential in order to control the torque. Send your damn ECU to NM!
I just saw this article online... they tested a 2008 N14 MCS with an intake, catback, and NM Stage 1

They ran it like that as a baseline, then added a Forge FMIC and ran it again, then tuned to NM Stage 2 and ran it again.

http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/p...s/viewall.html

Stage 2 w/ FMIC vs Stage 1 w/ FMIC: 15hp/35tq @ wheels

Stage 2 w/ FMIC vs Stage 1 w/o FMIC: 28hp/40tq @ wheels

They have dyno graphs.

If this is true, no wonder your car feels like an absolute beast! Your theoretical torque curve (represented by the green line) is insane vs. my theoretical torque curve (blue line)!!! AND this car had a factory downpipe, AND the N18 in our cars already makes more power than the N14 in this test vehicle...

Good thing my ECU is going to NM a week from tomorrow for that Stage 2!!! I'm getting excited!

Old 03-15-2013, 07:46 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
http://issuu.com/evolveautomotive/do...i_bmwcar#embed

Read that Evolve tune article. Pretty interesting. I just might have to shoot them another call and see what more they can provide and do. Yes that was about a N14 engine, but amazing what they popped out for the JCW. Take a read.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:57 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear

Read that Evolve tune article. Pretty interesting. I just might have to shoot them another call and see what more they can provide and do. Yes that was about a N14 engine, but amazing what they popped out for the JCW. Take a read.
Read that about two weeks ago

Keep in mind that its stating bhp numbers....also see there take on open intakes.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Hujan
5th Gear

Egads! 100 lb/ft?!?! That is insane! And correctly me if I'm wrong, but isn't that just an "S," not a JCW?

Time to write Evolve to see when they are planning to get a US distributor . . .

Old 03-15-2013, 09:06 PM
Theamc
1st Gear
I got a ETG tune.

Before it I had the Jcw tune kit, which came with intake and exhuast and tune. I also added a Helix FMIC.

Then i heard about ETG and their location in Fremont, CA. So i gave them a try and Jags took the ECU out of my car and did his magic. After a an hour I had a brand new car!!

Fast forward 4 months, I ordered a Akrapovic DP. It should be here soon.

Then I saw all the noise that was around overboost and the DP. I gave Jags a call and he has a customer down in LA with his tune and just added the DP and had. Overboost problem. However, the Mini owner just added a FMIC and the problem went away.

He is monitoring the problem and told me to check in next week to see the progress.

So if all goes well I will install my DP next week and test it out.

He also told me if I wanted to add the DP right away and not wait on the results he can make make the tune not as aggressive(about 10hp less).

Otherwise, I'm really happy with the tune.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:15 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Thanks Theamc! I was considering them, but I want to make sure their issues with high-flow or catless DP won't affect the car in any negative way.

I'm really now on the fence about my intake. I hear from NM that they want an open filter, but Evolve and ETG want us to have a closed filter. Renntech also told me when I spoke to them, to have a open filter. I'm so confused about why this is.

Any takers to answer this question?

Old 03-15-2013, 09:22 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Stock...or anything closed...DoS,AEM, DDM race.

Wish Jan were still on here, dyno's have proven that a closed system will always be superior.

Guy has proven that an *** load of times. Along with others.

Hell even ask the guy at DoS to hop on here and explain why he went with a closed system design.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:28 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Thanks, looks like I might have to move up to a DDM RIS then haha. More $$$ to spend:-).

Old 03-15-2013, 09:37 PM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Stock...or anything closed...DoS,AEM, DDM race.

Wish Jan were still on here, dyno's have proven that a closed system will always be superior.

Guy has proven that an *** load of times. Along with others.

Hell even ask the guy at DoS to hop on here and explain why he went with a closed system design.
I think my favorite of those is the DoS system. I don't like the scoop fed idea. Even though I have the NM Intake that I'm happy with, I still don't like the idea of the air being taken from the engine compartment.

That being said, it doesn't matter what temp it is going into the turbo if the temp after the intercooler is too high. IMO, of course.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Regarding intakes:

There are two factors to consider: Quantity of air flow and temperature. A tune, by calling for more boost, will tend to benefit from an intake that flows more air. With sufficient intercooling, the temperature of the air coming through the intake becomes less and less relevant.

That said, even though the intercooler is going to dramatically cool the intake charge, ideally you'd want to make cooler air even cooler than to make relatively warmer air cooler. So the theoretically ideal intake would give you the highest flow rate and the coolest air.

But let's be honest: The difference between that theoretically ideal intake and the worst one is pretty minimal. This is probably why you see so many divergent opinions on the topic. If one method clearly stood above the others, there would be consensus. No one disputes the benefits of an uprated intercooler. No one questions the benefits of a high-flow exhaust. The lack of consensus regarding intakes confirms it's splitting hairs.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:26 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
BTW,

regarding fuel octane, I have a gas station near my house, Fast Track, and they sell 93 ethanol free, and 110 racing fuel(ethanol free). Do you think it would be safe to use the 110 to see how the tune would respond? But then again I think it would probably blow up the small 1.6L

Old 03-16-2013, 06:30 AM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
BTW,

regarding fuel octane, I have a gas station near my house, Fast Track, and they sell 93 ethanol free, and 110 racing fuel(ethanol free). Do you think it would be safe to use the 110 to see how the tune would respond? But then again I think it would probably blow up the small 1.6L
I would find out if it had lead in it. Anything about 103(or 105, can't remember?) by me has lead in it. But if it's unleaded, it can't hurt.

The computer is only going to advance the timing so much. If my mind serves me right, there's only a certain amount of timing advance that the computer will add when it doesn't see pre-detonation symptoms of lower octanes. I think the worst that could happen is the fuel burn TOO slow and you end up losing a few horsepower.

I believe 100 octane would be about the highest that any aftermarket tune would compensate for to gain (minimal) power. There's 100octane available near me, I plan to give it a try.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:33 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
http://www.evolvetuning.us/index.php...iew&news_id=19

RK Autowerks Launches Website

US Distributor for Evolve Tuning products, RK Auotwerks has launched its website. Please visit http://www.rkautowerks.com
It's dated February 6, 2013. Looks like we might have a US distributor for Evolve, boys!

Old 03-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
It will just be another send-it-in tune, then.

There is not, nor will there ever be, a way to flash the N18 ECU from the OBD2 port. The data lines to do so have been severed. There is no back door or trick, etc.

There is power applied to a JTAG port VCC (on the 2011 and 2012) which allows for local JTAG (inside the ECU). Them's the breaks.

You should see what they did to the 2013 ECUs... :(

Old 03-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
No doubt, Theta. I'm not expecting anything other than a bench tune. I'm just not digging the only options being RENNtech and ETG.

What did they do to the '13 ECUs?

Just noticed the "Custom CAI" in your sig line. Did you ditch the NM? Discuss via PM.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs