Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 06:38 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Haha don't worry I did the same but many owners haven't said one bad thing. Keep searching cause if you find some I'd love to know!

Old 03-20-2013, 05:45 AM
11mcsaz
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ In your conversations with him, did he indicate how many R56s are running his tunes? From the comments here, it seems there are only a very few.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:13 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
He does them a lot for people who purchase their MINI as soon as they get them from my understanding. I don't know how many but he's done them a lot. I'm gonna get his tune and when I get a chance I told TonyCheck, I will make a drive to Chicago since its like about a 3-4 hour drive to dyno it in his area. Michigan had some crappy or poor dyno places after doing some research.

Give Jags a call, 310-993-3990. He'll answer all your questions guys.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:46 AM
11mcsaz
3rd Gear
I did speak with Jags about the tunes ETG offers for the Minis; I found him little short on specifics/details and long on marketing/promotion.

For example, I could not get a clear explanation on why it is that they are able to tune the latest model of minis whereas their competitors can not. In all the talking at me that he did, he kept offering to drive me around to the exotic/high end dealers (Aston Martin, Bentley, Lambroghini, etc.) to see the kinds of cars they regularly tune should I ever get out to the west coast . . . .

Two other things I find curious, he indicated they have tuned in excess of 140 minis to date, yet we have very little feedback from members on this site with actual experience with the ETG tunes. Surely with that number of tuned minis, we should have more folks on this site with first-hand experience with those tunes. Also, he talked frequently about his extensive network of shops and stores, leading me to wonder whether the mini tune was actually developed by ETG or one of its affiliates that work together to market/distribute the offered tunes. I could not get a clean explanation on that.

He was certain in his comments that their tune can give you the most power with the fewest additional aftermarket parts in the market. However, as others have indicated, ETG's mini tune has issues with boost surge when the vehicle has a high-flow DP/Cat. If I understand it correctly, this is the same or a similar issue that NM Engineering has run into with its Stage 2 tune for the automatic R56s.

While ETG may very well be the real deal, my intuition has me wondering otherwise and remaining skeptical.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:01 AM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds fishy, I will stick to the NM tune I have. Also looking into a Renn tune as well on another ecu.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:26 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Like I said its fine about the skepticism on ETG tune, I already know a few people on here who've contacted me through personal PM, considering it hard.

If you guys want your DP so badly, he can work around it but with a little less HP/TQ..almost very similar in number wise such as NM's Stage 2.

Anyways, I will get his tune and as I said before I will dyno the car so it can show how much power is being put down. That is what makes me curious. What I love about their tune is I don't need to waste $1k more on other mods not needed. I can add a DP later on in the summer or whenever my MINIs testosterone wants more.

Again I understand why some feel the way they do about ETG's tune, but that's equivalent to how I feel about NM's tune since they haven't worked out their issues on autos for their Stage 2.

Btw, has anyone dynoed their tunes on here yet?

Old 03-21-2013, 02:58 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
So I called JM Turbo Coopers, and asked about their tune. Seems pretty legit, but who knows since noone has even talked about them as a tuning source. He said their tune is $845 but can provide 230whp and up. They do re-flashes for $300. Eh, I'm not going for them, but this can be options for others.

Their number is 1-480-559-5401, for those who are curious about their tune.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:31 PM
pidge1114
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
So I called JM Turbo Coopers, and asked about their tune. Seems pretty legit, but who knows since noone has even talked about them as a tuning source. He said their tune is $845 but can provide 230whp and up. They do re-flashes for $300. Eh, I'm not going for them, but this can be options for others.

Their number is 1-480-559-5401, for those who are curious about their tune.
Pretty expensive, especially for reflashes when others do it free for multiple reflashes.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:43 PM
11mcsaz
3rd Gear
JMTC does not offer tunes, they refer you to Dyno-Comp in Scottsdale. Dyno-Comp will intall the EvoTech bench tune, which will give you 15-20hp/25-30 ft lbs.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:42 PM
Jaremy Cheetwood
3rd Gear
Simply put ETG tunes should never be purchased.

Jags is as shady as his tunes, which is why we are having the tune removed from my friends car after countless issues and zero support.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:02 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Thanks for telling us that 11mini. He told me directly that so I am just saying what he said.

As for Cheetwood, explain what happened to your friends car so we know instead of leaving us hanging?

Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 PM
MINI4LYF
3rd Gear
I also talked to jags and I asked him if the hp numbers quoted were at the wheels or at the crank...he said he wasn't sure and to look at the site. Seems a bit strange to me

Old 03-21-2013, 08:25 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Well I think it's at the crank. I've looked at all the cars who were tuned by ETG on YouTube and it looked like every car owner was very happy with their tune. I will go ETG and if I feel like it's not as good(once I dyno), I can always go with a different tuner. I wouldn't go to anyone else but RennTech besides ETG.

As for tuning in general, looks like a lot of them have different opinions and issues. I guess it's kind of a hit or miss in general.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:47 AM
Tommy Thompson
1st Gear
Has anyone dynoed an R-56 with auto transmission?

Old 03-22-2013, 10:27 AM
11mcsaz
3rd Gear
^ I nominate you; get yourself over to Goodspeed or Dyno-Comp, both in Scottsdale, and make it happ'n capt'n!

Old 03-22-2013, 11:51 AM
jomama
4th Gear
does nm have a dyno on premises? or is there one local to them? i have an a/t and have been considering the nm tune since i'm almost local to them. if i do go that route, i'd prob like before/after dynos as well, just so i know.
and if i'm reading correctly, there's no issue on a/t with the nm stage 1 tune? i have just an fmic right now, and could put in a higher flow air filter than what comes stock. but i prob won't do an dp anytime soon. so i guess stage 1 is where i'd be?

Old 03-22-2013, 12:03 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
I just spoke to Jags once again. Basically found out more about Gabriel's car(Jeremy Cheetwood's friend). I even got a picture of the text message he sent Jags this morning. It was about his overboost issue. I will post it up for those who want proof of why he is worried about his overboost issue because of the DP. Other than that pretty much in general Gabriel's car was all effed up in quoted words by Jags at ETG. BUT...Gab's said he LOVES the tune!!! So obviously the car he got modded was effed up by the exhaust from 2K and their custom crap work. He said he wants the tune to work so he doesn't overboost, but again for those of you who want proof I have it saved on my phone right now. Also, RMW messed up his car a little bit(in my words), after talking to Jags I see what happened and why Cheetwood wouldn't have anything to truly say if it was important.

As for ETG's tune, I am told the car will ride in sport mode without truly activating it and then when pressing the sport button, the tune will activate.

Also what truly got me excited, he said I can go to Smokey's Dyno in Akron, Ohio, since I live about 3 hours away and can get my car dynoed for FREE(more than 2 runs) by them over there since he's best friends with the guy there.

I am sold more and more with all my questions I have, at this point, I even have Jags personal number if I have anymore questions.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:06 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jomama
does nm have a dyno on premises? or is there one local to them? i have an a/t and have been considering the nm tune since i'm almost local to them. if i do go that route, i'd prob like before/after dynos as well, just so i know.
and if i'm reading correctly, there's no issue on a/t with the nm stage 1 tune? i have just an fmic right now, and could put in a higher flow air filter than what comes stock. but i prob won't do an dp anytime soon. so i guess stage 1 is where i'd be?

No issue with the NM Stage 1 tune, I'm sure you'll love it!!!

In their opinion, their tune runs better with a high-flow cone filter than stock, so yeah pretty much you'll be all set for whatever your plans are with the car.

Good luck!

Old 03-22-2013, 12:15 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by MINI4LYF
I also talked to jags and I asked him if the hp numbers quoted were at the wheels or at the crank...he said he wasn't sure and to look at the site. Seems a bit strange to me
all the numbers Jags quoted to me were in the form of +40 hp and +60 torque, never absolute numbers

it does not matter if it is crank or wheel as long as he is talking relative increases, +40 hp at the crank will be +40 hp at the wheel, assuming the drivetrain loss is a constant

if the drivetrain loss is not a constant, i am guessing it varies only by a few %

scott

Old 03-22-2013, 12:23 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Oh and when I spoke to him today he said it at the crank.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:49 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Oh and when I spoke to him today he said it at the crank.
Sounds like you're ready for a tune.

I'm actually excited for you lol

Old 03-22-2013, 04:25 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Believe me I am, I've been ready but finding one is the rarity to my pleasure.

Have you distinguished which tune you like NewCooper?

Old 03-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Jdarc1
Neutral
Tunes in New Jersey

Anyone know any tuners local to north New Jersey?

Old 03-22-2013, 05:55 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Believe me I am, I've been ready but finding one is the rarity to my pleasure.

Have you distinguished which tune you like NewCooper?
I was all for RMW...no go for the the N18's.
I was for NM next.....anything after 3/12 is a nay.
Renntech...smoking crack(tuning is all the same basic process and steps...kinda like changing break pads and rotors, why someone would charge substantially for it I do not understand, now I'm not saying it's easy, I'm saying all these mini tuners have to tune it in the same way)

ETG, I'm somewhat still against the fence about it, partly because of the overboost issue. But I have said its not the first time I've heard a tuner say all you really need is a FMIC and meth(lower temps even more) along with the tune and you're set.

So idk now....I'm legitimately lost.

.....feels like all the Mini brands/support stopped at the N14.

Hell I helped AEM test fit an intake on my car and now I don't even know if they are going to release it anymore.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:06 PM
RoyalCooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Jdarc1
Anyone know any tuners local to north New Jersey?
Here's one I found...somewhat close to you (over the river and thru the hoods) in Queens:

http://www.tyrolsport.com/engine/tra...r-s-r58-coupe/

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs