Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 10:31 AM
DRT NaSTY
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will do. texting him right now.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:32 AM
MINI4LYF
3rd Gear
Theamc, what year is ur friends rspec genesis and is it a 2.0T or the 3.8?

Old 03-24-2013, 10:50 AM
DRT NaSTY
2nd Gear
thats partially why i wish that he used a dyno while tuning. really wish i knew my numbers. hmmm well then, ill really have to check out NM as an option then. youre scaring me away from RMW haha. well i spoke to jags. im thinking about just getting a stock dp. duuuuuude Rob sent me yours!!! haha im actually serious. ill obviously pay for it. would it fit on a 2011 clubman s??

Old 03-24-2013, 10:52 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.smokeysdyno.com/mini.html

^^
That's smokey's dyno, I for some reason believe it's funny that it's the same price as ETG and produces less power than any of the tuners who can tune a N18. Not only that but ETG(Jags) said he would send me to Akron to get a dyno for free(more than two runs).

As for the forums, here...
http://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w2...u-upgrade.html

Mind you these guys on the Mercedes forum, seem like complete d***s. But as I started to read more and more it became apparent this guy Jags Gill is probably using a tuning file that is either stolen or used by a buddy of his that produced LESS power than advertised. I could save $100 and go to NM and make sure I know what I am getting.

Another forum for the Audi R8 people...
http://www.r8talk.com/forums/5-gener...check-out.html
^^
In this forum people are questioning his credibility because he said his company was the first one to tune the R8, which wasn't the case. Also, they couldn't dyno the car right then and there. Another issue was that ECU tuning group used to be Singh Autosport or known by that from the U.K.

As for somewhat positives,
^^
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63...hp-gain-2.html

This one is kinda mixed reviews of the tune, some people liked it but some didn't think the numbers were good enough from the Jaguar community,

http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf...-review-75060/

Old 03-24-2013, 10:54 AM
DRT NaSTY
2nd Gear
when the overboost occurs, it makes a rattling noise, the exhaust get REALLY loud for a second, and then your car will go into limp mode immediately and the turbo will stop working.... lemme know if it happens!!!

Old 03-24-2013, 10:59 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI4LYF

You would think that our MINIs would actually outrun the Genesis 2.0T in general?

But if his car was anywhere close to hanging with the 3.8 I would be pretty surprised.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:01 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DRT NaSTY
thats partially why i wish that he used a dyno while tuning. really wish i knew my numbers. hmmm well then, ill really have to check out NM as an option then. youre scaring me away from RMW haha. well i spoke to jags. im thinking about just getting a stock dp. duuuuuude Rob sent me yours!!! haha im actually serious. ill obviously pay for it. would it fit on a 2011 clubman s??

Talk to Jerry bud! (800) 423.3623 that's NM's phone number.

But don't deal with RMW, basically cross them off your list. He loves his R53's.

But I sent you a PM.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:06 AM
DRT NaSTY
2nd Gear
im just gonna keep the ETG tune and get any part that jags recommends. so far he said just get a sock dp and a diverter valve and my car will run perfectly. im just gonna cut my losses and forfeit the refund. pray for me! lol =P

Old 03-24-2013, 11:08 AM
DRT NaSTY
2nd Gear
when the overboost occurs, it makes a rattling noise, the exhaust get REALLY loud for a second, and then your car will go into limp mode immediately and the turbo will stop working.... lemme know if it happens!!!

Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Instead of spending more money on parts to make the car run why not have him fix the tune for you?

A true tuner can go in and change parameters to make it work with what's on the car.

Your car ran good before you went to ETG.
They are the only ones who have touched your ECU....safe to say its the tune. Danny at Minicorsa knows Mini's/BMW's, if he says it's the tune, I would most likely agree with him.

Don't get jacked for your $ man, that's coinage in this economy.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:17 AM
DRT NaSTY
2nd Gear
thanks man i appreciate that. thats pretty much what ive decided to do. gonna get what it takes to make the tune run properly which according to him is a stock DP and a diverter valve. so ima try that out.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:19 AM
DRT NaSTY
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Theamc
I couldnt wait anymore. So i went ahead and installed the akrapovic dp on my already ETG tuned car.

I had it for about a week and the first couple of days the check engine light did not come on(o2 sensor thing). But i spoke too soon. It came on yesterday. Oh well.

But so far i have not had any over boost issues. I dont have a boost guage but im looking to install one. How does it feel like anyway?

I have been driving my car HARD since the DP was installed. My friend with a Hyundai genesis coupe rspec were doing some 1/4 miles at this empty staight away we know of and using the iphone dynolicious app. I know my car isnt made for drag but it was the only way i get to really push it really hard to see if any errors come up. My friend and I mustve did at least 7-8 runs. While my car did not win any of these races, i defintely kept it close, especially on a roll where traction was already accomplished.

Before the ETG tune i had a JCW tune and that was advertised as 200hp but the ETG tune feels way more power than the JCW tune.

According to the dynolicious app(which is pretty accurate according to a lot of people who compared numbers against an actual dyno), my car has around 202 WHP plus the whatever percentage of drivetrain loss is.

Anyways, my best time was 13.9.

Ask any questions. Or tell me what i should be looking for when overboost happens.
what year is your car. if its a 2011, can i pleeeeaaaase buy your stock dp off of you?

Old 03-24-2013, 12:21 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
That's funny he says that Gab, he told me I don't need a DV cause the stock one is the best?...

Old 03-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Theamc
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MINI4LYF

He has the 2013, which is the 3.8.

On a roll, i can definitely keep up.

But when stopped, he definitely gets better launches.

My friends genesis trapped around 104 and i did 102.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Theamc
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DRT NaSTY

Oh ok. Got it. I have not gotten that. But that sounds scary.
I will let everyone know if it does.

But so far nothing. Hopefully it stays that way...

Old 03-24-2013, 02:09 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
You'll be fine Themac, enjoy the tune! I'm just trying to find out what exactly are his numbers and if a DV is needed now?

But that's impressive you kept up with a 3.8!!!

Old 03-24-2013, 02:21 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
Don't waste your time with RMW.
Yeah, I mean, why bother to deal with a tuner that has more experience tuning Mini's than anyone else. Why bother dealing with a tuner who's tuned cars currently lead 3 series! 1st in World Challenge, 1st in Rolex and 1st, 2nd and 5th in Continental.....

I really can't believe some of the misinformation on this board....

Old 03-24-2013, 02:32 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
He CAN'T tune n18's and he said he won't!

Can't believe you didn't ask him.

As far as R53's and N14 MCS's the dude is great, I don't care about those platforms. I care about these N18's since he's not giving the time and resources on them. If he did, he would have been my first option.

I'm not trying to be a d*** when I say that.

Last edited by RobMuntean; 03-24-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:13 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
From Jan's own forum "I can tune them, just have to open the ecu".

Now, I don't think he'll mess with an ecu that's already been tampered with, but i bet he'd be willing to do a fresh install.

But I have not talked personally with him on the N18, so that is speculation.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:24 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
I'm more pissed off as to why he doesn't want to touch the ECU?

I seen an email here on the forum saying he can't right now crack the codes.

But believe me like I said he was my first option cause of Detroit Tuned. Now I'm stuck with either NM or ETG. God help us N18ers at this point who have issues with the dates on the car or because of mods.

Hopefully in a year or less he can put forth the effort to give us a tune, I'm willing to pay 750 with a dyno like Detroit Tuned told me when I first bought the car.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:44 PM
Raymazing
4th Gear
the ecus had to be forced into write mode from a ground signal to a specific point on the ecus. not everyone is willing to take on that responsibility. a new dme for these cars IS NOT cheap.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:54 PM
trackntrail65
1st Gear
Good Topic

Finally, a group talking about tuning. Currently researching catless dp's and came across ar design. Only 3" dp on the market. Anyone running this? Also, anyone been tuned at rennlogic in chicago. Use renntech tunes??? Helix fmic on the way. Ready for the next step. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:36 PM
bmx045
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
brentuning.com , I know Bren personally and have for many years, he's tuned my subarus in the past and does a LOT of BMW's with outstanding results both on the dyno and road tuning. He is well versed in N14 and N18 tuning. He's an extremely talented tuner and think if anyone wants to send an ecu for a tune, you should contact him. You can find reviews on bimmerforum and other bmw forums, and subaru forums. As far as N18's go, you need to bench tune, meaning, pull apart the ECU physically in order to create a communication to the DME's map(s).

Old 03-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
But that's impressive you kept up with a 3.8!!!

Hmmm, wonder how I would do with the LSD?

After reading all of this (painfully at times), I wouldn't let this Jag (or whatever) person to put gasoline in my car much less mess with my ECU.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:02 PM
MINI4LYF
3rd Gear
Rob,
That's why I always ask. Hyundai always exaggerates their numbers in regards to horsepower. A 2013 Genesis Coupe is supposed to have 350hp. I wouldn't be surprised if it has only 250whp if not less. My friends stock BMW 328i (230hp) whoops the Genesis Coupe in a straight line any day. I am surprised too that a MINI keeps up with a 3.8 v6 but I bet that they can overtake a 2.0T at the track or even drag. Sorry for going off topic.

On Topic: NM is the best tune on the market with lots of testimonials demonstrating their abilities. IMO if someone says a tune is good and not many people have tried and tested it then they are doing something wrong whether it is in the marketing dept. or the quality/price depts. I don't know and don't care. Jags at ETG is a good talker but so far no dynos = don't know what I'm buying.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs