Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 06:05 PM
MINI4LYF
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Melangell, did the LSD eliminate or minimize the wheel-spin. I can imagine it would be a nightmare without it, the tires would be spinning like crazy, especially with all that torque.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by davisflyer
From Jan's own forum "I can tune them, just have to open the ecu".

Now, I don't think he'll mess with an ecu that's already been tampered with, but i bet he'd be willing to do a fresh install.

But I have not talked personally with him on the N18, so that is speculation.
It's not entirely clear whether Jan can do it or not for N18's that are built after February 2012. Everything I've heard suggests he cannot do it.

More importantly, getting ahold of Jan is harder than pulling a rhino through a gnat's you-know-what. These forums are littered with posts from guys who just cannot get ahold of him to save their life.

I've also heard (both by word of mouth and through NAM) of problems guys have had with his tunes. Potential issues and being insanely hard to get ahold of not exactly an ideal combination in a tuner.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you have a pre-February 2012 ECU (and especially a manual), you would be a fool not to go to NM. All you have to do is:

(1) Buy and install their intake
(2) Buy and install a good FMIC
(3) Buy and install a high-flow DP (optional)
(4) Ship ECU to NM on Day 1 for Stage 2 tune
(5) Get ECU back on Day 3
(6) Insert in car

Done.

Seriously, folks. There are enough people who absolutely love the NM tune and NM (Jerry) has such amazing customer service, that there really is no question.

***IF YOU HAVE A PRE-FEBRUARY 2012 ECU, JUST TUNE THROUGH NM***

Old 03-24-2013, 06:24 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MINI4LYF
Hey Melangell, did the LSD eliminate or minimize the wheel-spin. I can imagine it would be a nightmare without it, the tires would be spinning like crazy, especially with all that torque.
It minimizes wheel spin which is awesome!

Speaking of awesome... NM and Jerry T. I agree with the above... If you are eligible for an NM tune, you would be a fool not to.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:18 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hear you guys. Especially on Hyundai's poor performance.

Anyways, yeah I don't think I'm going with ETG just so I can do it and dyno it and so on. I'm going with NM now and that's final. Done switching around. Plus I get free upgrades/flashes! I'm sure Jerry will figure out how to make the Stage 2 tune on autos to work.

Mell, I'm sure with the LSD it would definitely make a surprise on any v6 performance cars. Especially on how much I dislike the Nissan 350/370z owners.

Back to topic, if anyone is truly considering ETG and gets them to dyno their car after the tune, enjoy it, and post it up after.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Rob, just an FYI - there will no longer be an option for any Stage 2 upgrade on the Auto transmission.

Just don't want you to be misled thinking you can go up in the future.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:23 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Theta, thanks!

But wouldn't Jerry be able to squeeze out more than 30hp/35tq for us auto guys? Regardless I expect at least 10hp/10tq more. That'll make me happy in the end. Thoughts? I will call him first thing tomorrow morning anyways. But I remember your experience with him.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:25 PM
Theta
6th Gear
No problem - I speak with him quite often (last time was on Thursday).

You can get a marginal increase over the Stage 1 if you ask specifically for a little extra, but I didn't want you thinking there was another 30hp/tq on the table to be gained later.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:33 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Totally fine I don't mind if he can add a little extra for my enjoyment. I'd rather never have an issue with my tune then if something went wrong I'd be out of a car for a little since ETG is located near LA but I don't know their customer service. I just want to have my fun factor and enjoy driving my MINI. I will shoot him a call tomorrow, thanks!

Btw, theta, a FMIC w/hot side pipe, dry panel filter, custom exhaust w/2nd cat off, will be good for their tune? I don't need a DV or anything else in your opinion to make the tune smooth(suspension is a different story)?

Old 03-24-2013, 08:33 PM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Hujan

It's not entirely clear whether Jan can do it or not for N18's that are built after February 2012. Everything I've heard suggests he cannot do it.

More importantly, getting ahold of Jan is harder than pulling a rhino through a gnat's you-know-what. These forums are littered with posts from guys who just cannot get ahold of him to save their life.

I've also heard (both by word of mouth and through NAM) of problems guys have had with his tunes. Potential issues and being insanely hard to get ahold of not exactly an ideal combination in a tuner.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you have a pre-February 2012 ECU (and especially a manual), you would be a fool not to go to NM. All you have to do is:

(1) Buy and install their intake
(2) Buy and install a good FMIC
(3) Buy and install a high-flow DP (optional)
(4) Ship ECU to NM on Day 1 for Stage 2 tune
(5) Get ECU back on Day 3
(6) Insert in car

Done.

Seriously, folks. There are enough people who absolutely love the NM tune and NM (Jerry) has such amazing customer service, that there really is no question.

***IF YOU HAVE A PRE-FEBRUARY 2012 ECU, JUST TUNE THROUGH NM***
+1

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 03-24-2013, 08:39 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Rob, your mod plan looks fine.

I suggest you talk directly to Jerry and let him know what you're planning. With the Auto, he may end up telling you to save money/pass on the IC - no clue what he'll say. You can believe he'll set you on the right path, though.

As far as a DV, you'll be just fine with the stock BPV.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:38 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Okay perfect, thanks Theta. I will talk to him tomorrow morning.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:46 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bmx045
brentuning.com , I know Bren personally and have for many years, he's tuned my subarus in the past and does a LOT of BMW's with outstanding results both on the dyno and road tuning. He is well versed in N14 and N18 tuning. He's an extremely talented tuner and think if anyone wants to send an ecu for a tune, you should contact him. You can find reviews on bimmerforum and other bmw forums, and subaru forums. As far as N18's go, you need to bench tune, meaning, pull apart the ECU physically in order to create a communication to the DME's map(s).
I thought Bren was out of the discussion? Just curious what kind of numbers can he produce and at what cost? I will shoot him a call tomorrow too after I speak to Jerry. But since you brought it up, I might as well ask you too.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:44 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
OK, just got the official word from Jan. He CAN tune the N18, but currently chooses not to until an option presents itself through OBDII.

Carry on.....

Old 03-25-2013, 05:02 AM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
I found a dyno posted on FB for the R56 and R60 with NM tune. I think it is for the N18 cuz he mentions LCI in the comments. Just wanted to share and see everyone's input on it.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/M-Comm...72519792801767

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 03-25-2013, 09:09 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by davisflyer
OK, just got the official word from Jan. He CAN tune the N18, but currently chooses not to until an option presents itself through OBDII.

Carry on.....
I don't think there will be any OBDII available for two-three years if Jan decides to be able to tune them, IMO. Everyone here says the same thing, the N18 has been hard for tuners to work with besides bench tuning. I guess we are all pretty much SOL when it comes to like an Accessport.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:54 AM
DRT NaSTY
2nd Gear
wait what??.....hahaha oh dearrr

Old 03-25-2013, 09:59 AM
DRT NaSTY
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
That's funny he says that Gab, he told me I don't need a DV cause the stock one is the best?...
i cant even believe that...round and around we go. ill ask him about that.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:05 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DRT NaSTY

i cant even believe that...round and around we go. ill ask him about that.
He called me yesterday and we spoke. He said the stock is the best. I got texts for proof but regardless he's not first or second on my list.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:47 AM
pidge1114
Banned
Funny how this thread went from pro-ETG to anti-ETG in the matter of 3 pages.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:51 AM
joyride305
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Theta
You're overreacting...

I'm a huge supporter of NM, no question. And I've had a few of their tunes (and have been quite happy with them). I also have Jan's tunes, etc.

Point being, if you have a post 3/12, you're essentially "stuck" with a potentially poor tune, or a high price. There is actually a way to have a dyno tune done, but you would need to be in FL. Same price as the canned tune.

If you want to PM me, I'll be happy to let you in on a bit of a tip regarding the RENN tune... Then again, I guess it's people like me making NAM "go to ----"?

Mhm.

I heard you say pre '12 people would be nuts to go with Renn, but would they really do a dyno tune for the same price as their bench tune? It might be worth it then for us SFL people don't you think? And I'm in lake park almost every weekend

Side question for everyone, M commodities commented on the FB page with dyno sheet and said boost levels for 1st and 2nd gear is set by the factory and cant be changed. Just wanted to verify if this is the case?

Old 03-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Jaremy Cheetwood
3rd Gear
Crazy how small the gains are on the LCI engines.

Yeah makes sense Jan doesnt want to go through the hassle of bench flashing them. Hopefully something shows up.

Canned tunes provide limited gains compared to their dyno tuned counterparts.

Prime example is saying you will only gain 20-30bhp (16whp-25whp) on an LCI where I personally gained over 50WHP (55-60BHP). (Pre-LCI).

Id rather run without a tune than take a risk on a $30k+ investment in the hands of some tuner who says he can tune.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:21 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
I will post later around 6 about the tuners I spoke with, and one that would call me back tomorrow. I'm very pleased with a new tuner we haven't truly heard of, but again I will explain later information on them.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:19 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
So in short because I'm typing on my phone and don't have a lot of time...

Smokey's dyno, in Ohio, seems to legitimately offer a good tune with dyno. They said $595 with the dyno and expect up to 60whp. They'll dyno before and after tune. With proof of dynoing, he'll give me a sheet of the graph. Not bad, and I'm considering them as my second option since its only a four hour drive away.

After speaking with NM, Jerry made me feel confident in his tune, like I wasn't before anyways, but he told me he could tune my auto to a stage 1+ with extra 5-10hp/tq since we have 93-94 octane in Michigan, that much can be squeezed out. They're #1 on my list as of right now.

As for BrenTuning, I am awaiting a phone call back from them. I will wait to find out their answer tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:46 PM
RYBREMINI
1st Gear
does anyone have dyno results for an etg tune on n18?

Old 03-26-2013, 01:56 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RYBREMINI
does anyone have dyno results for an etg tune on n18?
I can get it from him but its based off of Smokey's dyno tune in Ohio. Give him a call and tell him to email it to you.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs